• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even if I don't love the game, I usually like it enough so it is not a problem.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
No. I really don't care how much someone else likes or dislikes a game. All that matters to me is if I enjoy it or not.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No, I'm not a hipster. I assume when people universally love something very much, that something is particularly good. And it almost always is, even when it doesn't resonate with me, personally. Since several people rely on me for game recommendations, I make a point of separating my own tastes from what is popular in a general sense and can be recommended to others.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm just here to shit on Undertale and Automata fans.

Automata is a perfect example of a game that didn't fully resonate with me, since my expectations were too high from both the first Nier's story and Automata's reception. But I can separate my own enjoyment of the game from its objective quality, which is undeniable (and that soundtrack, man).

Undertale on the other hand is a game where my enjoyment matched the general reception 1 to 1.

I was wish there were a secret filter that took all titles containing, "Am I the only one", and hid them from the wider site. That way, every time someone created one, regardless of their take, they would seemingly affirm that, yes, they in fact are the only one.

This is an awesome idea; mods, can we have this? :)

People conflate "negativity" and "criticism" way too often on this site.

"Criticism" of... what, exactly? Of others enjoying something "too much"?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
No.....usually I feel like a game getting to much hate is what bugs me. People describe games using adjectives usually reserved for war crimes around here.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan at all of TLoU (I'm with the crowd that thinks its a better story than game) but the only game that actually annoyed me with the praise was for the ending of Bioshock Infinite. And thats only because of people bringing out the "you just didn't get it" argument.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Bloodborne for sure. As someone that dislikes those types of games, the gaming section on the old site circa 2015 was unbearable to navigate.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
Yes. When a game I'm not interested in is shoved in my face everywhere online, it bothers me. Sometimes it gets to a point to where the game is shoehorned into threads that have nothing to do with it. It's like ads, but you can't escape it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Heyyy, Bloodborne and BotW. Both solid games that I like slightly less because I regularly see them listed as the second coming. Petty of me? Definitely. It does still affect my perception of them though.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm not a hipster. I assume when people universally love something very much, that something is particularly good. And it almost always is, even when it doesn't resonate with me, personally. Since several people rely on me for game recommendations, I make a point of separating my own tastes from what is popular in a general sense and can be recommended to others.

I don't know if hipster is the right term here? Most of the super opinionated or argumentative people I know aren't hipsters. It's just their nature.

Anyway, there's a larger discussion to be had about whether something being good/bad can be objectively measured. I don't think you can directly correlate popularity with quality, but you can correlate popularity with mass appeal (so these are safe recommendations for most).

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for your honesty and self-awareness! Not a lot of people are willing to admit that FOMO fuels a lot of these dynamics. The solution is to let go of that feeling that you must be missing something if you didn't like a game. But that's easier said than done.
Thanks for reading and replying! It's a bit sad to read so many replies that think people like me or OP don't like when people are happy or express positive reactions/emotions/opinions about something. I love that! I try to keep away from all negativity (left social media, pick my forum threads carefully and so on). I mean, in my case it could be said that my issue is when "praise" goes so far that just lifting up the game apparently is not enough, it must be used to push others down too. That means it is no longer positive, it has gone too far and becomes negativity instead.

And yeah I battle this feeling all the time. It doesn't help that I have a general inferiority complex as part of my wider issues and I try to work on that in general, not just when it comes to this. But it takes time.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So, what I'm getting out of this, is if I praise a game here on Resetera ... I'm actually preventing the OP and others here from playing it?

All this power's gonna go to my head.

Did I mention how awesome Monster Train is? (It's awesome).

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
There's been a few times on this forum, with friends, and other situations where I just see people go on and on
on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on and on and on
About the perfection of some particular game. And the end result is... it strips me of any and all desire to play it. I can't explain it, I don't really understand it. Everyone around you lauding praise onto something should make you want to enjoy it too, but it frequently does the opposite. Even if the game is up my proverbial alley and the praise is everything I want from a gaming experience I just lose interest apparently from overexposure. I have also been on the opposite side of that. Where I'm one of the people going on about a game and really trying to get a friend/forum stranger to play it and I see a similar reaction. I want to lift it up without but the result is annoyance. Like I *really* want someone to play a game because I want them to feel the same elation from it that I did but overselling it makes them indifferent and they don't end up trying it.

Sometimes I'll intentionally break out of that and play a game whose over praise has annoyed me even though I feel I don't want to put in the emotional investment and cave to the annoyance and I almost universally end up liking it. But then I do it again a game overpraised and... indifference.

How do you combat this? How do you prevent it? How do you prevent yourself from being one of those people? Or maybe... my feelings on this are entirely my own and not shared by but a few others.

Edit: I didn't feel like this needed to be said but I'm NOT saying anyone praising a game turns me off of it or that people enjoying something annoys me. I'm specifically talking a point where a game feels praised to the point of annoyance. I frequently look to see if reactions to a game I'm interested are generally positive among forum members before picking it up or even outright ask for suggestions for games people like. I'm specifically referring to a threshold of over praise and that point might be a different for different people.

This is very foreign to me and I can't say I feel the same. The more critics and average people praise the game the more likely I am to think the game is good. I got Horizon Zero Dawn because of what was being said. How do you determine for yourself that something is being overpraised and so you won't enjoy it?

Personally I know I've liked games that a lot of people say are garbage and I've disliked games that were praised by many. I don't get worked up about either scenario as they are opinions about an experience. If people love a game that I don't then I'm glad they enjoy it if they purchased it. I'd far rather people enjoy something they spend money on than buy something and be upset.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest in FFXIV once Shadowbringers launched. It's either due to how the Resetera fanbase handled themselves during that time, or Moogle quests in ARR. It's probably about 50/50.
Once that expansion launched, there were dozens of fans on Era who took it upon themselves to brigade every thread REMOTELY related to Final Fantasy, shit on that thread, and praise FF XIV.
"What's the best turn based Final Fantasy"
"FUCK YOUR TURNBASED FINAL FANTASIES SHADOWBRINGERS IS THE TRUE KING OF THE SERIES FUCK OFF NOMURA" would be a sensationalized example you'd see on the thread

Like I resubscribed in December and started Stormblood a few weeks ago. It's freakin' lit after the Moogle stuff. If Shadowbringers is a genuine improvement from Stormblood, I can totally see that being the best FF thing put out all decade (FF7R aside warts and all)... but them spouting that in every thread they could get away with just turned me off from even wanting to play it.

edit: I got into Undertale right as the press started hyping it up but before the fanbase became a thing. The rabid fanbase for that game kinda turned me off from it for a bit, but the memes since then have made up for it lol.

These are the only two examples I can think of tho

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Only one I can think of for me is Fez
I think it is the ultimate example of a pretentious video game

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Too much praise never bothers me if I think the game is at least fine. But praise when I actually dislike a game, I can't lie, it gets on my nerves.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I thought Spiderman (PS4) was a solid 6/10. Obviously that game was widely praised and many people had it has their GOTY. That doesn't bother me at all.

What does bother me is when people bring up MC scores as a way to dismiss any criticism.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't know if hipster is the right term here? Most of the super opinionated or argumentative people I know aren't hipsters. It's just their nature.

How could it possibly not be the right term? "It's popular, therefore it sucks" is the entire core of hipster identity.

Anyway, there's a larger discussion to be had about whether something being good/bad can be objectively measured. I don't think you can directly correlate popularity with quality, but you can correlate popularity with mass appeal (so these are safe recommendations for most).

This larger discussion has been had at length, and as far as I'm concerned it resolves to "critic consensus is the closest we have to measuring quality". The only reasonable alternative is "there is no way to measure of quality", which obviously cuts most discussions about quality rather short.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
Well, my interest in playing Cyberpunk is currently very low simply because of the way people talk about it. I'm sure it'll be fine, maybe even great, but with all these people talking about how it's game of the year already, count me out.

Coincidentally, felt the same way about The Witcher 3. I eventually did play that, got the platinum even. It was good, but nowhere near as good as people made it seem.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Do you really think that's what drives all of these people? Some sense of cosmic balance? Why is their opinion any less valid than those lavishing praise?

Yes, you may be looking for only enthusiastic takes on games, but that isn't what everyone is here for.

And all that aside, there are other people ways of being. My enjoyment of games (Or movies, or books for that matter) comes from not only a pure enjoyment of the experience of playing something, but also of the deconstruction, of of the evaluating the good and also the bad. No game is ever purely good, and there's nothing wrong with discussing or raising it's flaws even when the temperature of the room seems to be one of mainly praise.

Are there good ways to go about it? Ways that aren't rude or obnoxious? Of course. If anything, that's what this forum needs to work on, not avoiding negative discussion.
I feel like what you're talking about is the inclination towards contrarianism, which is what I see most. A lot of it is ppl who hate to see others having fun, which you will find several here.

Overall you're correct on the biggest issue in that there are obnoxious and helpful ways to start discussions. For example, if you're bringing up a flaw you see in a game, you could just drop a bomb that's likely to offend or you could frame your question asking what ppl thought about particular elements you found unappealing.

What passes for discussion in most threads is a far cry from deconstruction of good and bad though. Oftentimes, it's comments like the person in this thread that implied everyone who likes BOTW must be either young or ignorant. OP asked if ppl found massively effusive praise to be annoying, and that poster used it as an opportunity to be insulting. That's my problem in a nutshell.

Nov 8, 2017
Yes there is a feeling you get when people love something that you dislike or vice versa. I think it's very obvious that this is a real widespread thing based on simply observing any thread about any game ever.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
The only time I take issue with it is when "universal acclaim" is used a way to shut down legitimate criticism or dismiss the arguments of somebody who doesn't agree with the praise. See: every thread that ever dared to suggest that Breath of the Wild was a disappointment for some people, regardless of the people who make reasoned arguments as to why that might be the case.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes it's dishearthening seeing totally derivative titles have fans who prattle on, and on, and on about it and are now unwilling to play what actually revolutionized the genre and made that game possible, yeah.

Apart of that, not really.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
"Criticism" of... what, exactly? Of others enjoying something "too much"?
Taking a critical eye toward any game is often framed as "negativity", even within this thread, when in fact, the manner in which some people enjoy something involves critique.

Oftentimes, a purely positive position on a game comes off as lacking nuance or critical engagement. And there are plenty of cases where a cult of fandom around a game actual leads to the stifling of conversation as critical takes are combatted and ignored by simply calling those posters "negative."

I think there are a lot of surface-level takes in this thread that are doing just this.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why others liking something should bother anyone. Everyone is allowed to like what they like.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
How could it possibly not be the right term? "It's popular, therefore it sucks" is the entire core of hipster identity.

This larger discussion has been had at length, and as far as I'm concerned it resolves to "critic consensus is the closest we have to measuring quality". The only reasonable alternative is "there is no way to measure of quality", which obviously cuts most discussions about quality rather short.

Well yeah, dismissing something just because it's popular is a hipster trait. But I don't think that's really what happens most commonly. Have you really never had a strong distaste for something that's popular? I think for me it happens mostly with songs that I just can't stand that I still get exposed to. It's not something that happens often, but every now and then there's a song thar just grates on me for whatever reason. Music is more invasive than reading some comments on a forum though (since these annoying songs can wedge themselves into your brain!).

Also agreed the conversation has been had at length. Critical consensus is probably the closest we can get to measuring objective quality... But that's something I would separate from popularity.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is just a classic case of feeling like you have been left out. No one wants to be excluded. I love Undertale, but I can totally see how the amount of praise it was receiving, and the type of praise it was receiving, after release could grate on some people a little. I thought BotW was a very good game, but I also thought it was a game with many issues. So, there were definitely times where I read comments that made me roll my eyes a little. I think it is important to try to maintain perspective. Not everything is going to hit everyone the same way.

Another exacerbating factor can also be a feeling of injustice. Your favorite game that you have played in the last decade has an 83 on Metacritic, but the game that you thought was just okay received a 95. As much as we know that reviews are subjective, I think that for a lot of people that disparity can be frustrating. However, it is really important to keep that subjectivity in mind. At the end of the day, everything above an 80 is probably, roughly, about the same quality. At a certain point, it is likely that other factors are coming into play to shift a score one way or another (because we are all humans and humans aren't perfect arbiters of objectivity). That is why reading the meat of reviews is so much more important than just looking at the score.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, no. Instead it's sort of the opposite, not only am I more intrigued to play it, but I also get some semblance of joy in the fact that others are really enjoying something I haven't yet experiencd. If it's something that I didn't personally enjoy, it also often makes me give something a second chance where I ordinarily may not have.

It happened with Breath of the Wild. I didn't really enjoy it when I first tried it. Got bored and quit playing pretty early on. It just felt a bit plodding and aimless. But the praise was profuse on here and elsewhere, and I thought it can't have gotten all that acclaim for no reason.

Several months later I gave the game another stab, this time in a more focused state of mind, and low and behold it's now one of my favourite games of all time. I see what others saw in it now, and that makes me happy.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I love the souls games but I absolutely hate when they release and the year or so after.

We get filled up with topics

New to souls, tips??
First souls games what should I know?

On and on. Just use the ot.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I have this issue, but only when I disagree and am told I'm "wrong" or that I just "don't understand" the game/movie/whatever. People can get incredibly toxic if you don't like the thing they like, especially if said thing is beloved by the community at large.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
It only bothers me when I think it can have a negative effect on what I love.

Fire Emblem Awakening has splendid characters and tons of customization, but shallow tactics, an incoherent story and awful level design. I was afraid the series would take after it in Fates and was right, and was thus more critical of Awakening than it probably deserved. But Echoes and Three Houses were leaps in the right direction and now I can appreciate more of what Awakening did right now that its design is the status quo.

Same goes for The Last of Us. I did not like the game when it first came out. I found the gameplay shallow and the whole thing was nowhere near as good as Uncharted. I was also 14. So when I hear Amy Hennig, one of my person idols in the industry, left Naughty Dog and the TLOU people were taking over, even down to people saying the game would be better without her because TLOU is a 10/10 worthy game, I was fucking pissed. And I saw the success of TLOU as taking away my chance at playing Hennig's Uncharted 4. I outright refused to buy a PS4 or play Uncharted 4 when I planned on it on UC4's release day because I was hurt and blamed the love of TLOU for not getting my Hennig Uncharted. Was that brash? Yeah, but I was 16.

So, I fully understand why fans are upset when games like God of War reboot, RDR2, BOTW, Halo 5, etc. or movies like TLJ and Iron Man 3 get acclaim by critics and/or fans as they are often genuinely concerned about the quality of their favorite franchises going forward.

Eferim

May 20, 2019
I mean the last Halo thread showed that I've got SOME OPINIONS about First Person Shooters, and really how can I not, I started out obsessed with making Doom/Quake/Rise of the Triad/Blood levels until I lost them all (thanks Debian).

I don't normally care what people like and don't, but when people get into religious evangelism about a game that I thought was kinda meh, and they almost all seem to use the same language and descriptions when talking about it, it's a little bit yikes? The cult around The Outer Wilds comes to mind, I guess.
🤫
That might have been what inspired this thread. I Briefly had my interest peaked by a post with high praise and then about 15 posts later got annoyed.
Outer Wilds is the last game I would've expected to be the catalyst for this thread. Not in a million years would I have seen that coming. Hell, it seemed like not long ago damn no nobody was talking about it and it was mostly ignored during awards season. There's been an uptick in talk about the game recently because it's releasing on Steam but now you're telling me there's a cult surrounding the game? Can you guys point me in the right direction cause I'd love to join it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I trust Resetera to inform me about quality underrated games, but I'll discount any talk about "overrated" pretty quickly.

This is the best approach to being on a gaming forum I have ever seen. I think most of the overrated threads are primarily a release valve. They are just there for people to let off some steam. I don't think they are super informative or useful. I fucking LOVE hearing about hidden gems, though. Having people tell me about underrated games they love is my jam. Sometimes I will play them and not agree, but some times I discover something that worms its way into my heart.

I have this issue, but only when I disagree and am told I'm "wrong" or that I just "don't understand" the game/movie/whatever. People can get incredibly toxic if you don't like the thing they like, especially if said thing is beloved by the community at large.

There is no quicker way to get someone's back up than to tell them they are the problem and their criticisms are completely trivial...

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII Remake really grated on me. Mostly because I got sucked in and paid the $79.99 for it. I gotta say - if you don't have that history with FFVII (which I didn't!) - there's not a lot there for you.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
No cause I'm not a hater. Plus I'm grown so I understand everything isn't for everyone. If my opinion differs, it's just that, my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. I love diversity.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it bothers me deeply when a game I like reviews extremely well because then discussion of the thread will be filled with contrarian idiots that probably didn't even play the game just repeating the same dumb criticism, specially if said game is an exclusive. I hate it.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Only when people get hostile to criticism. People act like it's a team sport and you're either a supporter or a hater.