• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mum doesn't play much but she enjoys stuff like Stardew and Animal Crossing. My dad plays a decent amount and has just recently expressed interest in getting Hollow Knight and The Last of Us.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My dad has 1,950 hours on Defense Grid and 1,500 hours on Defense Grid 2. Plus god know how many hours of Hearthstone.

His genre is definitely "games I can play during commericals while watching football"

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
My dad does. He played through hundreds of hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey last year until finally moving on for Pokémon lol.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
My mum plays mobile games, a lot. My Nan loved the Brain Training games on the DS, would play them all the time. My gramps would play on the N64 a lot (like years and years after it was relevant), but finds most games nowadays too complicated, last he tried was BoTW and seeing him trying to play BoTW was hilarious, especially as watching him play Ocarina of Time is one of my earliest gaming memories.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
No.
My god, I would absolutely love it if any one of my immediate family members took an interest in the games I like.
But, no. I feel pretty alone in my hobby.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My mom doesn't play anything, and my dad plays only Call of Duty / Battlefield and other FPS like those.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Mom used to play Mario Kart 64 when I was a kid. My Dad loved the everloving hell out of Wii Sports - especially bowling. He also had a short stint with Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 where he would play any time he could after work.

Sides that, no, not really.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Both my parents play a ton of a mobile match 3 game, the Disney Emoji one. My dad also goes through phases of playing what the big online shooter is at the time. Call of Duty for a lot of years, then Overwatch, and now Fortnite.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
My mom plays candy crush.

My mother in law plays World of Warcraft, Minecraft and Roblox.

Dads play nothing.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
They apparently did play a bit before I was born. My Mom told me they had an Atari and later a Nintendo and one time she made my pops go out at night to buy the new Mario game when it came out lol.

Now? They do not play games at all. I think they very much regret ever letting me and my twin play games. Shit I was surprised they ever liked games themselves!

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They played some casual games with me until I was, like, 10 or so. Suppose they thought I'd grow out of it. Didn't happen.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
My grandmother plays solitaire on her ipad, but neither of my parents play video games whatsoever.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my generations parents are going to be the last that have no background in playing videogames by a significant margin. That being said my mom did play video games, she was a big fan of Sega but she enjoyed most puzzle oriented games from a few platforms.

she liked Lolo on the NES a lot and her favourite game on the genesis was Columns. There was also a pinball game that I can never remember the game of, I know it had a sort of sci-fi theme and there was a lady in it that made a lot of orgasmic nosies.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
My dad used to play tons of games. Played stuff like Diablo 2, Gladius, Eternal Darkness, etc. Nowadays he mostly just plays World of Tanks - and that's it.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
My Mom does and recently has gotten a bit more into the deep end after enjoying Breath of the Wild.

My Dad doesn't really play any games unless provoked, and he can find fun in them occasionally, but it's not something he'd ever really pursue outside of familial suggestion and pressure, lol.

Feb 9, 2018
My father did from his 20s (when video games were still a relatively new thing) all the way up through his 40s. Back in the 80s he had a Commodore 64 and Intellivision, with him giving me the latter as a hand-me-down (and my first console). In the 90s he got a PC with Windows 3 and eventually upgraded to one with Windows 95, and he had a decent selection of games for those. By time he reached 50, he had stopped playing games for the most part, and he is much less of a computer enthusiast in general now that he's approaching his 70s.

My mother on the other hand only cared for a couple of old games like Pac-Man and Lock-n-Chase (an old Intellivision game similar to Pac-Man). And by time she was 40 she had already grown to despise computers. She would still buy me video games for birthdays and Christmases, but from 1990 until she died a few years ago, she would never touch a video game again.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Yep, my dad does. He's a fan of Souls, which is awesome. He also likes The Last of Us.

He ain't so big on games like Ninja Gaiden, though.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
my dad was really into Burgertime and Super Mario Bros, but then Super Mario Bros 2 was too complicated for him and he gave up on video games forever

my mom has only ever played Tetris

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad plays World of Warcraft and has since it launched in 2004

Before that he used to dabble in D&D games and stuff like Command and Conquer

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My dad plays some games, but only in the winter. He really likes GTAV, Red Dead 2, and I just got him NHL 20 for christmas, so he's really enjoying that.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, my father hates gaming with passion. He strongly believes it's the same thing as gambling and always discouraged me and my brothers from playing it. He's more tolerant now than he once was.

My mother tried Tetris and Duck Maze for NES a few times back in the day but never truly got into it any further.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they used to, not so much these days

my mom had an Intellivision she did her own repairs on that she gave me when i was a wee lad

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of my parents do. My mom in particular has serious vertigo and can't look at anything on a TV where the camera's swinging around without feeling sick, meaning anything more intense than Undertale is off the table.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
My Mother played a ton of SNES, GameBoy and PS1 in the 90s but fell off it afterwards, my Father never played. My Grandfather plays card games on his PC like Solitare, Skat and Hearts.

Dec 31, 2017
My dad always tells the story he put me to sleep holding me while he played Metroid.

He plays the old stuff. He has a couple of GBA SPs he picks up from flea markets. He's kind of a hoarder.

I don't know if he plays so much now that his eyesight is going and he gets headaches.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
My parents would never touch it but my uncle got super into Runescape for a time. He had full addy while I was still screwing around in Varrock.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
My mom played Pac-Man, but that's all I know.

My father is the one who got me into games in the first place. Nowadays, he sticks to playing Resident Evil games. He loves replaying 4, finished 2 Remake, and plays the GameCube versions of 1-3 on rare occasion.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
My father has had absolutely no interest in games, but he never really discouraged me from playing.

I thought my mother was the same before I introduced her to a smartphone and Angry Birds /Candy Crush. She's now plays them regularly and calls for me when she requires help.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
My mom would never, and calls everything videogame related Nintendo. My father, who died way too young 3 years ago got me into gaming. I'm 36, I have a lot of fond childhood memories playing his Commodore 64, and spending hours playing him in fighting games on the original playstation and xbox. Damn, I miss him. I'm sad now.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
My dad LOVES naughty dog games and Metal Gear Solid V. My mom plays the shit out of bejeweled

My dad is the one who got me into gaming he'd give me the old console when we got something new. It's funny, now I'm the one who keeps him up to date.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My dad mainly plays emulators because he believes gaming peaked at mario 64.

my mother used to be able to play through all of alex kidd on a dollar at the arcade. She hasnt played really anything in like 25 years besides some mobile puzzle stuff.

my mother-in-law doesn't like video games as a concept but she did actually ask to play beat saber while we were all playing and she did enjoy herself which was fun.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
My mom plays exclusively Phoenix Wright games + Hotel Dusk. She tried Professor Layton, found the plot dumb(…fair) and tried 999 but wasn't interested in it. Tried Umineko, read it to the end, disliked it because the actual murder mysteries weren't super strong. Tried Dangan Ronpa, didn't like the gameplay much because she's not super good at games, also didn't like the characters and found most of the murder plans really boring.

My dad likes to watch me play Uncharted. My dad used to watch me play Uncharted, I ended up having to get him a ps4 after I moved out so he could play it(on easy).

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
I somehow convinced my dad to play Mario Kart once in like, fifth grade, and he got upset that I was using items on him when he just wanted to drive around the track. That was the first and only time I've played with my parents.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
My mom used to be super into those casual PC games like Diner Dash, Bejeweled, etc. when I was younger. IDK if she still plays them though, I haven't visited her in like eight, nine years at this point and the topic doesn't really come up when I talk to her on Facebook.

My dad is dead, so I don't think he plays any games lol. He didn't really play any games when he was alive, I think he might have played one or two games on FB, but IDK for sure.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Last time was when my parents wanted to try the Wii.

My dad and I used to play Star Fox SNES together a lot, he liked it.

Nov 1, 2017
My mom used to play Mario Kart a lot but these days she'll only play something more accessible like Drawful. She tried playing Telltale's The Walking Dead after seeing me and my siblings play an episode but the using the second analog stick to aim was a bit too much for her to handle.

My dad doesn't play anything but always asks me why I'm playing boring games where all I do is run around. He also has a habit of walking in during awkward weeb waifu scenes when I play JRPG's.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
When my mom retired in 2016, I gave her my Wii U. It took her a LONG time to become adapted to playing games (coordination, etc.). She's played almost all post-NES Zelda games and LOVES them. I bought her a Switch in 2018. She played BOTW for 300+ hours haha. I gave her my PS4 to play SOMA and 999/VLR, all of which she has loved.

It's the perfect hobby for anyone that is retired and open-minded.

Oct 29, 2017
My ma has watched the AC:NH trailer more times than me. She'll get to 999 hours way before I do (and using my own Switch haha). I'm moving out next year, though, so I'm looking to get her a Switch Lite as soon as I can.