• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
So you're mad because people are telling you that the center for disease control says washing your meat is a potential health risk? I mean, do you, but why're you so salty about it.
I personally don't care what the CDC says about meat rinsing. Clearly doing either hasn't been a major issue for any party. You can dry rub your chicken slime and all. I can rinse it off and put a lime/lemon/vinegar wash on it.
I just have to seriously question HOW people wash their food if mass Salmonella contamination in the kitchen is even remotely an issue- especially when you are supposed to clean your prep space afterwards anyway.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't care what the CDC says about meat rinsing. Clearly doing either hasn't been a major issue for any party. You can dry rub your chicken slime and all. I can rinse it off and put a lime/lemon/vinegar wash on it.
I just have to seriously question HOW people wash their food if mass Salmonella contamination in the kitchen is even remotely an issue- especially when you are supposed to clean your prep space afterwards anyway.

Thats not the point...

The point is that it literally serves no purpose and it has the "potential" to spread bacteria to other surfaces regardless.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
The CDC is focusing on prevention. When you rinse meat water droplets spray everywhere regardless of the pressures used. Water particles not easily seen by the naked eye containing bacteria and other microorganisms can contaminate the area. Rinsing the chicken prior to cooking does nothing to mitigate contamination, and instead spreads contaminates. The CDC would rather warn people to this regardless of whether people frequently get sick or not, because it is a potential health risk people should be aware of. You don't have to do this, and by all means continue to do whatever you like, but I'm not sure how your word is any more credible then the CDC when they're actually scientifically conducting research on things like this, and you're relying on your own specific anecdotal evidence.

Edit: and again everyone should obviously wipe down their kitchen after the fact, however that is not the intended point of CDCs message when you can prevent that potential contamination to begin with by not rinsing your chicken.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Moisture helps bacteria grow, and I'm pretty sure any bacterium that will get washed away by water will also be killed by a smoking hot skillet

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Did you grow up with your mom calling you from the other side of the house to come to her room so she can tell you to take the chicken out the freezer?
A phone call from work when we get in from the school bus as latch-key kids. But up until age 10 you weren't to open the freezer for any reason, not even to get ice. The only allowable appliances were the fridge and the microwave.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. You really think water is going to get rid of any of the bacteria? If anything you are spreading it around your sink more.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do, but I'm an OCD weirdo.

I take bottled water and very gently pour/drip it onto chicken inside the sink to cleanse a lot of the chicken juice away. Not sure what people are talking about with spraying salmonella everywhere since gravity is carefully pulling the juice down into the sink pipe. Who the hell washes food with a highly pressurized hose?

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A phone call from work when we get in from the school bus as latch-key kids. But up until age 10 you weren't to open the freezer for any reason, not even to get ice. The only allowable appliances were the fridge and the microwave.
Was a attempt to open the freezer met with a variation of "Ain't no bill here in your name"?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

I take bottled water and very gently pour/drip it onto chicken inside the sink to cleanse a lot of the chicken juice away. Not sure what people are talking about with spraying salmonella everywhere since gravity is carefully pulling the juice down into the sink pipe. Who the hell washes food with a highly pressurized hose?
That's not how the damn physics of water splashing on objects works. Splash occurs regardless in the (basin and rim of your sink and if the pressure is high everywhere else). Unless you're bleaching or filling it with boiling water sink at that point your sink is contaminated until the bacteria die which isn't right away.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely recall my mom doing this when I was younger. I never wash anything. I don't want chicken germs to go flying all over the place. I cook that shit in oil and I'm done with it. If anything survives that, then I was already dead anyway.

Tawantabe

Mar 20, 2019
If it's slimy and or a lil smelly and I'm gonna pat it dry and cover it in stuff. Yep, light calm rinse, once it's cooking wipe everything down with a bleach wipe. I clean the cutting board I cut the chicken on at this point so it's not like anything extra even occurs I wouldn't do anyhow.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Was a attempt to open the freezer met with a variation of "Ain't no bill here in your name"?
we knew there wasnt anything up there for us except ice and popscicles. and we knew to ask for either one.

but this is an image of heaven right here:
Minute-Maid-Juice-Bars-3.jpg

the CDC example is someone putting a bowl filled with raw chicken under a water faucet at full blast and leaving it.

Apparently all of us physically do things based on public service instruction manual images, but whatever. The CDC could say "watch for cross contamination and invisible water droplets from splashback when you wash chicken. You could spread salmonella germs." Or they could take the most direct path and just tell you not to do a thing, because by averages it doesn't mitigate all bacteria in every situation, i.e. they can't really rely on someone being careful, but they can rely on someone being a reckless fool.

So that's when adult maturity comes into play and you decide wether you have enough information to operate independently of given advice, or with some modified version of said advice.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Just to reiterate in case someone missed the other 100 times it's been said, but...

DO NOT DO THIS.

Even a light rinse is going to send little microscopic particulates everywhere, and now those pesky little bacteria that might have been on the chicken are going all over your kitchen. Seriously, that shit travels.

saint

Oct 27, 2017
hell no. white people prob think the fluoride in the water is a type of seasoning tho so not surprised some do it

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
We like to complain about the lack of rationality with anti-vaxxers, but it all goes out the window when our traditions are proved wrong lol.

Thread is a perfect example that human beings are not rational. So no more threads on why people voted for Trump, etc lol.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
We like to complain about the lack of rationality with anti-vaxxers, but it all goes out the window when our traditions are proved wrong lol.

Thread is a perfect example that human beings are not rational. So no more threads on why people voted for Trump, etc lol.
deja vu and stuff

dont tell me you dont feel it

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It's dangerous and unnecessary. That's what cooking is for lol. I do pat meat dry to get a better sear though.

Also, y'all should not be eating raw, or rare chicken

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
It's an old wise tale, you should NOT do that. When you wash meat you are literally just spreading all the potential bacteria everywhere that water is splashing and going.

Just drop it into the pan or whatever and the heat will take care of that, no need to "wash it."

Unless of course you want to do like this guy:

Old wise tale? I've never heard that term. The one I know is "old wives tale"

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually I worked in a kitchen for 8 years and lots of chefs do it. Said getting the nasty juice off made it last longer which is probably untrue but it made me despise that juice lol
I worked in a place that got big bags of vacusealed chicken breasts and the cook responsible always rinsed them off before transferring them into third pans with dripsets. The nature of the prepped raw chicken in those bags during shipping causes some juices to accumulate and is totally normal, but definitely helps the smell to get it off before letting them sit in a pan in a lowboy for a few hours. Anyone wondering about sink contamination, prepping raw foods on the backline is regular business, and cleaning the sink when you are done is standard. Steaks/fish generally came individually or double sealed much neater and wasn't an issue.

I've never done it at home though.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so how frequently do people get sick from washing chicken? You guys got them data on in-home chicken wash contamination? Whitney.gif please.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
No, the closest you should ever get to "rinsing" poultry is brining, but you need to remove any moisture before applying oil and cooking meat.

I only buy whole chickens and break them down so the bird is already pretty dry.

Roasting at 425 for 50 to 70 minutes is gonna kill anything of danger regardless of washing/rinsing.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I told my sisters, mom, and my brother not to do this yet they still do. It's infuriating. Hmong folks (my Hmong folks) need to stop doing washing their chicken like it somehow cleans the chicken.

Do not wash your chicken.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pat chicken or pork dry with kitchen towels then brine it for an hour and then pat it dry with more kitchen towels - then I take all the damp kitchen paper towels and put them in the ventilated fridge drawer with the spinach and spring greens to dry. You can use the same paper towels over and over this way. Much better for the environment.

I don't cook as much these days though to be honest. Many of my circle of dinner guests have passed away over the years. Some from undisclosed medical issues and a few from violent illness. Very sad but I have great memories of serving lightly roasted rare spatchcock chicken, perfectly pink Cornish game hen and kurobota tenderloin tartare on a bed of wilted greens.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like you would get bacteria everywhere.

On the off chance I bought raw meat to cook at home, I was so paranoid about bacteria that the meat would go straight from the packaging into a pan or pot. I never trusted myself to properly sanitize everything after so I never cut or otherwise prepared meat lol.

...off chance?

What exactly do you eat or cook?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Living with crohn i always scared of raw chicken, so much that i wont cook it in my kitchen, only order at restaurant because im a chicken

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like you would get bacteria everywhere.

On the off chance I bought raw meat to cook at home, I was so paranoid about bacteria that the meat would go straight from the packaging into a pan or pot. I never trusted myself to properly sanitize everything after so I never cut or otherwise prepared meat lol.

Have you heard of a thing called antibody and you know that it exist inside you? Shocking I know.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Medical paranoia. Have been hospitalized enough!

Literally everything besides buying uncooked meat and cooking it myself. Do your cabinets or fridge contain no food besides raw meat?

Uh, I mean I'm wondering if you only buy cooked meat.

Cause that's super duper expensive to do so on a regular basis and it would suck if you're forced to have to buy pre-cooked food on due to your medical paranoia

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Uh, I mean I'm wondering if you only buy cooked meat.

Cause that's super duper expensive to do so on a regular basis and it would suck if you're forced to have to buy pre-cooked food on due to your medical paranoia
Oh I see. I just don't eat much meat in general but especially not at home. Sometimes I'll buy cured meats or something though.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a thread where i am, apparently in a weirdo's club.

I often rinse chicken to get rid of slime and blood. I am also got quite addicted to cutting a few slices and eat them RAW with a bit of salt or pepper before cooking the main part... super delicious 😋

Call an ambulance!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I pat chicken or pork dry with kitchen towels then brine it for an hour and then pat it dry with more kitchen towels - then I take all the damp kitchen paper towels and put them in the ventilated fridge drawer with the spinach and spring greens to dry. You can use the same paper towels over and over this way. Much better for the environment.

I don't cook as much these days though to be honest. Many of my circle of dinner guests have passed away over the years. Some from undisclosed medical issues and a few from violent illness. Very sad but I have great memories of serving lightly roasted rare spatchcock chicken, perfectly pink Cornish game hen and kurobota tenderloin tartare on a bed of wilted greens.

Eeeeewwwww, spinach. 🤢