• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Koji Igarashi will continue with the Bloodstained franchise or work on Castlevania agai

• Bloodstained

Votes: 580 89.8%
  • Castlevania

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • He will do both

Votes: 49 7.6%

• Total voters

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
i don't see Konami going back to making quality games unless there is some big shake up with the leadership. Besides, Bloodstained and Castlevania are functionally the same with just a different name.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Konami isn't going to fund a Castlevania game with the level of budget he'd need.

Oct 25, 2017
Well for one thing it would be fully funded by the publisher and wouldn't have to rely on crowd funding, it's irrelevant though considering who the publisher in question is

I don't know how much money the game is making them of course
505 already said a possible sequel wouldn't be crowdfunded. They seem to have faith in the IP.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so happy for IGA that Bloodstained has come out so well and as much as I love his work on Castlevania in the past I hope he continues to forge his own path forward without them.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Konami has been showing interest in old franchises lately (like Bomberman and even the very own Castlevania collections) so if Bloodstained proves to be a financial and critical success, I could see them inviting Iga to do another Castlevania game. The budget for these games isn't that high.

Even though owning his own IP sounds better for him, he probably misses a lot of the advantages of working with a big studio structure. That's already clear, since he used to put out Castlevania games annually or biannually and Bloodstained took ages to get made, went through known development trouble and and probably cost him an insane additional amount of effort and stress.

So I'd say he should do what he feels like, I'd be happy either way. It's not like he can't go back to Bloodstained again if things with Konami don't work out anyway.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not even an option. You make it sound like it's definitely going to be a choice in the future.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I think it is a sucker move to go work on someone else's property instead of your own, at least if your own has the chance to become a hit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I don't think Konami is interested in making new games, from any franchise but Pro Evolution Soccer for that matter.

But that's not to say the IP itself is dead. There's also been a recent collection.

They're mining the IP for cheap and easy money but they seem in no way devoted to keeping it healthy with new releases.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I don't think Konami is interested in making new games, from any franchise but Pro Evolution Soccer for that matter.

But that's not to say the IP itself is dead. There's also been a recent collection.

Again, no new games. They don't care about keeping the IP going. If Nintendo makes a Switch port of Chibi Robo I'm not gonna claim it isn't dead.

The last Castlevania game that wasn't a port came out in 2014.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
What if Konami brings him back to just to make a new Tokimeki Memorial, and only that?

OP
OP
SantaC

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not even an option. You make it sound like it's definitely going to be a choice in the future.
that's not what I meant though. I have English as second language, and it is not easy to get my point across. It was an interview with Eurogamer which he said he like to do the 1999 castlevania if he got the chance.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we have Bloodstained, we don't need Castlevania anymore. Just keep making Bloodstained games.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
KONAMI /could/ commission him a new CV

But they won't because they're not interested in traditional gaming anymore.

Konami is dead.

Long live Bloodstained.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're mining the IP for cheap and easy money but they seem in no way devoted to keeping it healthy with new releases.

Konami's specific focus for games now is the multi-media aspect, while occasionally dipping and re-releasing legacy content. So while we likely won't see major game releases for them, we probably will still get occasional good projects for smaller ("technically", even if the goal is for multi-media project) game titles. We do know that the producer has expressed interest, multiple times, to doing a Bomberman anime project.

Plus with Konami re-tooling their 4K Media branch (which originally it's purpose was to represent Yu-Gi-Oh!, before moving beyond that) into Konami Cross Media NY (you can view their site here), this'll probably be the strategy going forward.

This isn't inherently a bad thing, but we probably won't ever see AAA development from Konami going forward. On the other hand, if we can get stuff like Super Bomberman R and such, I'd... honestly be okay with that.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
If Bloodstained does real well, I think they amount of money he'll make as the IP owner will dissuade him from going back to Konami.

If, on the other hand, he just kind of squeaks by and covers expenses, well...the security of a big publisher covering costs may appeal. So I guess we'll see.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I love Bloodstained but i prefer the 2D way more, i hope the sequel at least will have a better OST, did not enjoy the one in RotN, i liked it in CotM more.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I think he would work on another CV game given the opportunity but I don't think he'll ever be given the opportunity. Which is a shame because as much as I'm loving Bloodstained, the setting, style and themes of the game just remind me of how much better that stuff is in the CV games. That's not even to say that I don't think Konami will ever make another CV game (I mean, they're making a new Contra game), I just don't think they'll ever work with IGA.

Last edited:

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think he woudl in the end. A new IP with full control versus what is likely to be an underfunded sprite retooling version 8? Doesn't seem like a hard decision to me.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained, as Konami won't be doing anything new.

I hope they will do an Igavania collection, though, in the vein of the old school Castlevania collections they've already released. I'd like to get around to doing the GBA/DS games at some point.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Bloodstained could be the Castlevania successor we were waiting for

BUT

It needs stronger direction. A better story/lore, waaaay better art direction, and a more interesting musical identity rather than just "Castlevania b-sides".

That's it. That's all it needs. In the end, the castle + Dracula setup was more of a crutch than a feature, so Bloodstained could so something interesting with the idea.

But it does require some work to get up there.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
2749273-8977035082-a0QZw.gif

Doubt he would work for Konami

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
As much as I would like to see Castlevania continue I don't think it will happen unless the Collections made bank (and they may have but I haven't followed their sales). If they did though? For sure, he'd go back. And that's okay! But I hope Bloodstained continues as well.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Well... hopefully not. I hope he keeps expanding Bloodstained though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it would be a very dumb decision for him to go back to castlevania after being successful at starting a new IP with two [different] games. he should work at it and keep growing the new IP.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Based on his response it sound like he would do it if they asked, but unless Konami's internal management has changed significantly in recent years it seems unlikely that they would request his services. Beyond that, given what happened to him and Kojima, I'm skeptical as to whether his response actually reflects how he feels, or if he is just trying to avoid drama or any bridge burning. Particularly given how vindictive Konami is known to be.

Unless Konami were to make IGA an offer he couldn't refuse, I don't think there's much of any value in him going back to an IP that has so little intrinsic uniqueness to it that he couldn't pull off without any issues with his own IP. Heck, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some of the ideas he has for the mythical Battle of 1999 game wind up in his plans for Bloodstained.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Konami are not going to spend money making new Castlevania games so that's not even an option.

I don't know. Konami made Super Bomberman R for the launch of the Switch and now they're making a new Contra and I feel like Castlevania has much bigger fanbase than those two series combined (though maybe I'm wrong). Also Castlevania now has a very successful TV show so I feel like it would be dumb for Konami to not try to capitalize on that. I mean, they even could stand to benefit from the release of Bloodstained because that game has a lot of people thinking about SOTN-style Castlevania games again in a way that hasn't really happened with other recently released Metroidvania games.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained is a Castlevania game though? They just changed all the names around.

There's nothing particularly sacred or unique to the Castlevania lore that would require another game to exist.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
that really depends ln KONAMI

most likely Iga will continue with the Bloodstained series the first one is a huge success

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know. Konami made Super Bomberman R for the launch of the Switch and now they're making a new Contra and I feel like Castlevania has much bigger fanbase than those two series combined (though maybe I'm wrong). Also Castlevania now has a very successful TV show so I feel like it would be dumb for Konami to not try to capitalize on that. I mean, they even could stand to benefit from the release of Bloodstained because that game has a lot of people thinking about SOTN-style Castlevania games again in a way that hasn't really happened with other recently released Metroidvania games.

I don't think there is anyone left at Konami who could either secure a proper budget or actually make a great game. They certainly aren't going to go crawling back to Iga after what went down. Maybe a cheap effort like the new Contra game is possible but does anyone want that? That's the most you are going to get.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think Konami is interested, hence, you know, leaving

I think once you have worked so hard to get the Bloodstained IP off the ground and shipping a very good game that went through a lot of hell in order to even get made (and its blatantly obvious when you play it, tons of examples there) then you stick with it. Its his own IP that he can mover forward with and he should be able to get a sequel funded much more easily moving forward.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That said I would like him to make Castlevania 1999

This is one of two Castlevania games he still wants to make. He did say the Julius Belmont game would take priority, if given the chance.

The other is likely the 1897 story, as the games only reference the Dracula novel, which poorly fits.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Neither should be an option lol

I feel like the development of Bloodstained was pretty problematic for a game that got so many $$$, which makes me wonder if a Bloodstained 2 would be even feasible without another big kickstarter campaign, assuming a big publisher wouldn't help.

It's really unlikely for Iga to back to Konami and stuff, but i don't think a Bloodstained 2 is as certain as people itt hope.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
bloodstained has 2 great games out now. There was nothing lost taking the names castlevania and belmont out. He really has it made now he can just turnout a new bloodstained game every few years and go into semi retirement.