• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't recommend it personally. But America has been so bad at following basic social distancing that we try to promote the "under 10 people" and "wear a mask" guidelines first to at least get people to follow that. Sadly now stringent guidelines seem to be a loss cause.
If you don't recommend it, don't come into threads like this and say it should be fine.
It should be fine as long as it's only a small (under 10) gathering and of only close family members who have not been in close contact with someone who was exposed to/suspected of COVID

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
It should be fine as long as it's only a small (under 10) gathering and of only close family members who have not been in close contact with someone who was exposed to/suspected of COVID
I see where you're coming from but this is bad advice. Small indoor gatherings are causing the surge.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you not leaving the house for two weeks before the event, and will everyone at your gathering do the same? No exceptions?

I am currently not leaving the house and my grandma and mum don't do that either as both are at high risk, so they only go for walks from time to time. My uncle who lives in the same house does the shopping but does home office apart from that.
My grandma does not want to see anyone else from our familyy this year, so it will be just us four.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't recommend it, don't come into threads like this and say it should be fine.
The OP stated their father was having a "big party" and implied their mother had a medical condition yet were still considering traveling for the holidays. In these scenarios, a softer guideline such as "10 or less" tends to result in people choosing to stay in isolation as opposed to more firm guidelines which tend to result in people having a very laissez-faire attitude to the situation. As sad as it, you have to adapt to the individual and area to promote as much social distancing as possible.

Stop using this as a shield. The very first recommendation:
And then it gives a long series of more specific recommendations because the CDC knows most people are going to ignore the initial (and best) recommendation. We're at the point where COVID deaths must be minimized in any form.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
For the first time in 45 years my parents are going to be on their own for Christmas.
There was a lot of discussion, but it was the only sensible call to make in the end

We're still meeting up with family though, but just siblings

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
You thought things were not only going to improve post-thanksgiving but that a month after everything would be fine? Bizarre.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I see where you're coming from but this is bad advice. Small indoor gatherings are causing the surge.
Small indoor gatherings aren't really causing the surge. It's larger gatherings and holiday travel that's causing the upticks in positive cases. If people wore masks, quarantined, stayed within their immediate communities and avoided large gatherings, then it wouldn't be as bad. But alas....

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Soooooo many people underestimate the size of their bubbles. You have to have 100% confidence in everyone. Sure, you who you are around. But do you know who they are around? And the persons in their bubbles and so on and so on? That's literally the problem.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Small indoor gatherings aren't really causing the surge. It's larger gatherings and holiday travel that's causing the upticks in positive cases. If people wore masks, quarantined, stayed within their immediate communities and avoided large gatherings, then it wouldn't be as bad. But alas....
You know what else is contributing to the surge? Small fucking gatherings.

Uncle0wnage

Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I will be accompanying my fiance to her parents for Christmas, against my wishes but I need to support her. 😑 We skipped Thanksgiving with them and both her parents and sister are making it shitty for her. If they get sick I won't feel guilty at least.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm not visiting my sister, my other sister is through but frankly, I think they're fucking insane. Then again they're more healthy than either my wife or I.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
So glad my parents suggested cancelling xmas so we can go on a trip or something once it's safe to be around people again. Feel sorry for the people getting pressured to take dangerous risks.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You know what else is contributing to the surge? Small fucking gatherings.
Alright, I'm done with this weird attack on me for providing the official recommendation. If you won't listen to me, then listen to Fauci:

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...atherings-should-include-fewer-than-10-people

Wear a mask, don't travel and limit gatherings to 10 or less (the smaller the better, especially if you don't know the contacts the others have had)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm going home for Christmas.

Because I live here and have been quarantining with family the whole time.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'm done with this weird attack on me for providing the official recommendation. If you won't listen to me, then listen to Fauci:

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...atherings-should-include-fewer-than-10-people

Wear a mask, don't travel and limit gatherings to 10 or less (the smaller the better, especially if you don't know the contacts the others have had)
I am not attacking you. I am saying that going anywhere for the holidays is bad advice.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I am not attacking you. I am saying that going anywhere for the holidays is bad advice.
And I agree that people should not travel for the holidays. But that's a slightly different discussion than having the smallest of gatherings at all. But to be honest, and this is not directed at you, I'm mostly aghast that people actually called the official recommendation as "BS", "irresponsible" and "bad advice". It's rather absurd.

Please don't just link me the first article you found while googling "Fauci small gatherings"

Please listen to Dr Fauci:

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Given that we've eradicated the virus here in Melbourne, Australia, Christmas with my fam is definitely possible.

However, our state Government has put a guest limit of 30, which is not enough for our extended family Christmas gathering that sometimes goes up to 60-ish people.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
While we are discussing WHAT exactly causes the surge, people keep dying. The only thing we know for SURE is that human contact is spreading it. So why not avoid it for a little longer until the vaccine is through? Impatience? Indifference?

Nov 27, 2017
California
lol it's been lost since November
That's not even the last super spreader event
We've still got

Holiday shopping
Traveling
Christmas
Christmas mass
Traveling home
New Year's Eve

By Biden's inauguration we might be past 500K dead and it should surprise no one that when Biden steps into office is when republicans will question why Biden let this happen

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I've had the same X-mas eve get together with friends from high school for the past 15+ years. It's all but a certainty that it isn't happening this year. It sucks, but we have a responsibility to each other and our families to keep everyone safe.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Please don't just link me the first article you found while googling "Fauci small gatherings"

Please listen to Dr Fauci:

Nah I remembered hearing him saying it on TV and pulled up the first article I could find. Not sure why you're attacking me either, I'm trying to help you from spreading bad advice. Maybe you should've clicked on the article I linked to instead of trying to backtrace it on google lmao.

Also in the video you posted Fauci literally says "there's still a danger if you bring people into the home who are not part of the immediate household." 2:45 min mark. Not sure what you were trying to prove.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
What has changed since Thanksgiving? Why would you go now when things are just getting worse?
Yup. Not sure why I've everyone has been more relaxed since the summer, virus must have weakened significantly.

Oh it hasn't?

I get why people are antsy but fuck, it's depressing/infuriating when your better half is a doctor on the front lines and she has been dealing with this shit non-stop...

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
USA is so fucked. Why is there a dude in here trying his hardest to defend small gatherings? What the fuck is wrong with people.

3000. Daily. Deaths.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Just isolate the weeks prior.
This is not even remotely reliable as an approach. Even people with the best intentions need to answer the door, take in parcels, maybe go to the supermarket etc. The only completely bulletproof way not to give COVID to your family members is not to see them. And if the world could "just isolate" like that, then COVID would have been over months ago.

EDIT: And christ that post on the first page is bad. "Oh, you'll be fine if you haven't been near someone who has COVID." The vast majority of the time, you won't know if you've been near someone who has COVID. That's why we have a global pandemic and not an isolated outbreak.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not even remotely reliable as an approach. Even people with the best intentions need to answer the door, take in parcels, maybe go to the supermarket etc. The only completely bulletproof way not to give COVID to your family members is not to see them. And if the world could "just isolate" like that, then COVID would have been over months ago.

EDIT: And christ that post on the first page is bad. "Oh, you'll be fine if you haven't been near someone who has COVID." The vast majority of the time, you won't know if you've been near someone who has COVID. That's why we have a global pandemic and not an isolated outbreak.
Go for a big shop before isolating.

You're not getting Covid from a parcel.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Go for a big shop before isolating.

You're not getting Covid from a parcel.
If you can comprehensively avoid all human interaction from tomorrow until Christmas, and you can rely on everyone in your immediate / extended family to do the same, then sure. But I think 99% of people will have holes in their approach to isolation. I know I don't trust my entire family (or my wife's) to isolate effectively for a full fortnight. Why risk it?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can comprehensively avoid all human interaction from tomorrow until Christmas, and you can rely on everyone in your immediate / extended family to do the same, then sure. But I think 99% of people will have holes in their approach to isolation. I know I don't trust my entire family (or my wife's) to isolate effectively for a full fortnight. Why risk it?
Depends how bad you want that family dinner for Christmas. Some people here acting like it is impossible when it isn't anywhere close.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I mean the first thing is not to ask Era these types of questions, because you're not gonna get the answer you want. This forum is not going to tell you it's okay to do certain things during a pandemic, and for most of 2021 to be honest. You don't need permission from Era to do these things, you just have to own up to the fact that you are potentially putting other people at risk, no matter what your intentions.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A friend of mine is FULLY quarantining for 14 days and her parents are FULLY quarantining for 14 days and then the THREE of them are spending Xmas together.

Seems reasonable.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It's one Christmas. I know it sucks, but better to miss one than to miss all the rest because you or your family are dead.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I had to get my second covid test yesterday because a family member of mine went to a Thanksgiving party wherein folks turned up positive.

Stay your ass at home.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking go next year. Set up Jackbox for the family or something.

My mom has not been able to hold her granddaughter since birth. Shit sucks. Worse will be us getting infected or her getting infected. Stay the fuck home.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Rates are still going up and vaccines aren't hitting regular folk like us for a few more months. Absolutely no reason to get together this year, and I say that wishing I could meet with family because we really need family togetherness at the moment with my father in law being in the hospital with COVID.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A very quick mental risk / reward should tell you that staying home is the only option here. You're jeopardizing your own health, your family member's health, and the general public's health with this decision.

TimeDevourer

Feb 24, 2018
A friend of mine is FULLY quarantining for 14 days and her parents are FULLY quarantining for 14 days and then the THREE of them are spending Xmas together.

Seems reasonable.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I went grocery shopping, bought a bunch of stuff to tide me over for 2 weeks, I live alone and work from home, and I have a car so I'll be driving directly to my parents in about 1.5 weeks.

I live in Toronto where we're currently in a lockdown and am traveling to a different region that has a much lower case count. Obviously I do not want to get my parents sick, hence the quarantine. Still going for walks alone but otherwise not socializing with anyone in person.

Given what the OP has said it sounds much too risky to have Christmas this year, BUT depending on everyone's individual situation there are ways to make it happen, albeit on a much smaller scale than I imagine most people are used to. Let's not just categorically say it can't happen because for some people it can be done safely.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
We aren't seeing anyone. Not even family who live close by like my parents. Everything is going to be through FaceTime.

just going to the grocery store is putting my parents at risk if I see them.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks and you shouldn't do it unless you and your family were lucky enough to get the vaccine by then.

But I know that at least half of the country are going to be selfish assholes and do it anyways. It even crosses over party lines. I see plenty of Dems I know socializing without masks.