• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 139 29.3%
  • Don't know, but I'd like more games in Ancient Rome

Votes: 109 22.9%
  • Don't know and don't particularly want that kind of game.

Votes: 30 6.3%
  • No, there are a lot of them out there.

Votes: 197 41.5%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Ancient Rome makes for an amazing setting for games, especially for action adventures, RPGs and strategy games. Yet only the last one seems to have a significant amount of games. Total War: Rome II is such an example, and is the most sold Total War game to date with over 4 mi copies sold, which shows the setting can be very appealing. I could also mention the recent released Imperator: Rome or other small titles. But when we search for other genres there isn't that many, especially AAA games.

Assassin's Creed would be a perfect franchise in which Imperial Rome could be recreated in all its glory, but Ubisoft doesn't seem to agree and we'll likely never have that game. (Brotherhood features a totally different city, it would be like comparing Watchdog 3's London with Syndicate's). Ryse is the only one I can think of this gen, and although I quite liked it, it fell very short of quality games like God of War. RPGs often use Rome as a template for some faction or the other, but the main setting is always medieval. The Age of Decadence is one example of the opposite, but I must admit I have not played it yet.

If we start to think smaller and older games we will find more examples. I enjoyed Domina a lot. And Shadow of Rome is widely regarded to be a great game. I wonder if Rome just lack the magical and mythological appeal of other ancient setting (mainly Vikings and Greece). But the potential is definitely there.

What do you guys think?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Not exactly ancient Rome, but Gladius had a bit of that aesthetic and I loved it for it. Shame we never got that sequel...

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There are bunches of underutilized settings. I was hoping during E3 that we'd see an Assassin's Creed or something set in Sumeria or Mesopotamia or Aztecs.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Well it gets a lot more representation than the majority of ancient cities and cultures so that'd be a no.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Come on Capcom where is the next one ???

51H2J80TC7L.jpg

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it might be unrepresented in AAA games, but I can think of 1000 strategy games on PC set in Ancient Rome.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
No. Roma is overdone, we need to explore other settings in games. We need to leave Roma alone for a bit. We need to go ancient Asia, Vikings, ancient India, Mesopotamia. So many settings to explore and exploit. Roma is getting tired as a theme.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yes, and I was thinking of Ryse just half an hour ago. I would be overjoyed if MS somehow brought it back for the Scarlett launch. Keep the Roman setting, of course.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe, it's definitely a rich setting I'd love to see more of, but there are others that are far more underrepresented. How about some games in ancient Arabia/Middle East that aren't about war for a change?

Arabia went through a beautiful intellectual golden age that never gets talked about.

Oct 29, 2017
Is up there along ancient China as being the most important thing in the world for centuries, yet we mostly only get these few famous periods of it.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's unexplored as a setting tho, like i cant really think of an execution of the setting that doesnt involve someone getting speared or the military in some capacity.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Okay, but there's countless other cultures/civilization that don't even get that. So no, Rome isn't underrepresented. It gets more airtime than the vast majority.

That's true enough. If the comparison is with all other societies in history, Rome is definitely not underrepresented. But my references were the importance and legacy of the Romans to western civilizations. Look how many great films with Rome as a setting there are. There are no game equivalents

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely like some non-RTS games set in Ancient Rome. Assassin's Creed would have been perfect, but I think that will happen sometime in the future. They probably think Ancient Greece is too similar to release it so close together. Unless Ubisoft axes the franchise in a couple of years, but I don't see that happening.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it seems like it's mostly RTS games that feature it. I'd love a cool RPG set in Ancient Rome. Lots of other ancient cultures should be explored too.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking strategy PC games, not really. But if we're talking general action/RPG/adventure games? Yeah I'd say so.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not just Rome, but other settings of the ancient world that are not an Assassin's Creed or an RTS yeah.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I think historical periods are under-represented in general. That's why I have always loved the Assassin Creed games. Unfortunately I've never been in to strategy games.

The Roman Republic / Empire is my favourite historical period so I'd naturally love to see more games in that setting. But I'd also love to see more games in a tonne of different periods.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Most gamers probably couldn't tell the difference between Ancient Rome and... less ancient Rome.

Give Assassin's Creed enough time and they'll get back there though

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Overall? Sure. In comparison to other culture around the same time period? Not at all.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I would say that there are a ton of historical settings that are way more under-represented than Ancient Rome. I can at least think of multiple games set in Rome of the top of my head. I can't say the same about India or the Middle East.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Your example rome 2 is a bit ...troubling to say the least.

Personaly speaking rome has a lot of interesting themes that could be explored in games. From the rivalry between rome and carthage, to the division of the roman empire,etc. It also encompasses enough cultures that can make for a really diverse game.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In recent years, yeah. Over the totality of video game history, no, I think ancient Rome has had a fair amount of representation. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see more games use it as a setting, though, it's one of my favorites.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of Rome was a great game from what I remember.

I'd like some games set in ancient Rome but have it protested accurately. You look at the Roman cities in Rude, AC origins and they look impeccably clean and grand. Just like the Greek cities. I guess you can go for Grand but I'd like a game to have Rome or a Roman city look like the Rome in the TV series from 2000s. Dirty even by Renaissance standards, conjugated, unruly, and decidedly primitive looking.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
There's tons of games set in Ancient Rome. You know what well-documented historical settings are under-utilized? Mesopotamia. The Hittite Empire.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There's tons of games set in Ancient Rome. You know what well-documented historical settings are under-utilized? Mesopotamia. The Hittite Empire.

I've talked about this discussion settings for Assassin's Creed: basically any place and time in human history can make for an awesome game. Indeed, I agree with callamp when he says historical games as a whole are missing in gaming. They could be such a cool window to the past, but besides strategy games, there are very few that actually focus on history rather than mythology.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've talked about this discussion settings for Assassin's Creed: basically any place and time in human history can make for an awesome game. Indeed, I agree with callamp when he says historical games as a whole are missing in gaming. They could be such a cool window to the past, but besides strategy games, there are very few that actually focus on history rather than mythology.
The idea of an Assassin's Creed game set so far in the past to make an Ancient Near-East setting possible gets me unreasonably excited. I'm such a Hammuraboo. But yes, beyond strategy games, historical settings, particularly ancient historical settings, are severely under-utilized. It's free real estate, baby.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
I would have loved AC to go to Ancient Rome, but I would love it even more if the series went to China, India and maybe even visit the Incas.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It was rumoured the next Assassin's Creed was in ancient Rome. Since the Egypt and Greek rumours were correct. But it looks like it was fake. We get Vikings instead.