• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Realistic vs cartoony

• Realistic

Votes: 61 14.5%
  • Cartoony

Votes: 147 34.9%
  • Everything

Votes: 213 50.6%

• Total voters

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever floats the developers boat :)

I won't reject a game due to it's art style though.
Also, what is realistic and what is cartoony?

What category would TLG (or other Ueda games) be in? I guess "cartoony" but it can also be very realistic at times especially the dog.

Yeah this is where I'm at. I think Borderlands falls in the cartoony and realism realm. I love the cel shaded look.

Wont lie, I used to reject games based on looks. Knytt Underground is the one example I go back to that broke me out of that. That led to me finally playing Minecraft, loving it, which led me to playing Terraria, loving that even more than Minecraft.

In the midst of that I finally played Hotline Miami, and while I still dont really like it, I dismissed it due to graphics and that was a mistake. Its a decent game.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Cartoony for sure. They age significantly better. That's not to say that I don't appreciate realism (Red Dead 2 was my favorite game of last year), but in general most of my favorite games are stylized pretty heavily.

I'll take Wind Waker and Katamari Damacy over The Last of Us and Metal Gear any day of the week.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I usually prefer say stylized/artistic visuals. It doesn't have boil down to simply realistic or cartoony. I believe developers can way creative with visuals than that.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
"Cartoony" i need more cel-shaded games in my life this generation... seriously

Ni-no-Kuni-II-Revenant-Kingdom_2018_02-28-18_008.jpg

NewWellgroomedCentipede-max-14mb.gif

tumblr_omd18hr3mu1qbc2ylo1_500.gif

tumblr_pa570eVxHK1w0hrkno4_250.gif

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends, but I prefer 'cartoony'.

I play games for colours and fun. I'm not really bothered about video games trying to pursue any sense of realism - they don't come close at all.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Definitely lean cartoony. I really enjoy games that are stylized & have a unique look. We're finally getting to the point where realistic looking games won't age as poorly as they have in the past, but ultimately they rarely end up having a strong visual impact on me.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prefer realistic by far. Unless it's a 2D Nintendo plat-former or something like Mutant Year Zero, it's pretty much all realistic for me.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Give me bright blue skies, bright green plains and trees, give me bright colors everywhere.

Sonic Unleashed (through Unleashed Project), Generations and Lost World on PC are to date some of the most visually striking games I can play on any platform.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't prefer either, It depends on the designs, really.
Example I love for honor's designs, but I also love Soul calibur's designs.

So it's more a case by case basis for me.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I don't have a preference, it's all about individual competence. Even the "cartoony games hold up better" isn't a hard rule. Bioshock is 12 years old and still looks fantastic.
bioshock-the-collection-review-original.jpg

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I'll take cartoony every time. In fact, I almost never play games with realistic artstyles unless it has something that really appeals to me, usually gameplay-wise (I'm very excited for that Harry Potter game despite the graphics, for example). Realism just looks bland to me tbh.

It's actually one of the biggest reasons Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks disappointing to me, the first one had a gorgeous cartoon artstyle that would've looked even better with current technology if given the chance.

Last edited:

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Art direction matters more than aesthetic IMO. There's real bad versions of both and really well-done versions of both. I tend to prefer stylized in general over straight "super realistic".

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate "realistic" graphics but that doesn't bother me because I primarily play Nintendo games.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think I am a odd person in regard to this. I prefer realistic art styles but at the same time, I like the anime style as well. The cartoonish style of overwatch and fortnite kills the game for me.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't have a preference, but I think it depends on the gameplay, story it's trying to tell, and general feeling it's trying to get across.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
False dichotomy thread?

False dichotomy thread.

Everything has its place, OP!

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Both, and there is more than just realistic and cartoony. Unless you categorize everything that's not realistic as cartoony.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I put everything, but I have to say cartoonish if forced to choose. Stylized art holds up better over time compared to realistic artstyles.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Good art is always good.

More so than the style I care about how it animates and feels to play. Animation is king to me.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There's a lot more than just these 2 and I wish the industry would take more risks trying different art directions. Make a game that looks like a Van Gogh painting, a game based on surrealistic art, more stuff based on a specific regional technique like Okami or that tries to emulate other kinds of crafts like Kirby's Epic Yarn. Go crazy! We have the technology for that!

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't think I can really judge a game's art-style with just those two words. A game's never just realistic or cartoony! They're very broad terms and encompass so much it's impossible for me to pick just one. The idea that realism = a boring colour palette which ranges from brown to dark brown is also far from true and something I see suggested often. Look at something like Blood & Wine for an example of a realistic game which looks incredibly bright and vivid:

cdprojekt-2016-witcher3-lastdlc.jpg

In general I do prefer realistic titles, but I'm voting both just because there's incredible looking games that are both realistic and cartoony and I can't pick just one. I'd say my favourite cartoony game art is BOTW, and realism has to go to Witcher 3.

You bring up an intriguing point, good sir.
By default I would say I prefer "cartoony" visuals but what I'm drawn to is actually bright vivid colours.

Like a lot of these things I think art style is more of a spectrum than it is a binary.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Im really a fan of the sightly stylized hyper realistic graphics that are in some games this gen like FF15, DOOM 2016/Eternal, DMC 5, etc. Games that have realistic detail to textures but that have touches to proportions and assets that make them seem different to real life things.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Like many have already said - it all depends on art.

I mean, I think Jet Grind Radio is one of the best looking games of all time:

jet-set-radio-main.jpg

... and I mean, how f-ing beautiful is Wind Waker?

81cK0XG5F9L._SL1500_.jpg

Sure is pretty! Better than "realistic Zelda," right?

2748238-2748238-6505231023-NGL2-.jpg

Realistic graphics must be worse than cartoony... wait... hold up...

6l3gs3ibualy.jpg

But if I had to pick a "style," then it would be, well... "stylized:"

Street-Fighter-III-3rd-Strike-Gameplay-1.jpg

(arguably one of the best looking games of all time)
Breath of the Wild isn't realistic...

jwmaaFY.jpg

They used a stylized painting look like Skyward Sword, but much higher definition. The kind of shading used also makes a huge difference.