• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prefer Fantasy or Sci-Fi?

• Fantasy

Votes: 232 36.0%
  • Sci-Fi

Votes: 413 64.0%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2019
Now of course there are games that blend the two together, but if you had to pick between one or the other, which one do you prefer?

Oct 27, 2017
If it had to pick one (although science fantasy is the superior choice), I'd probably pick scifi. I feel like fantasy is too tied to medieval Europe as the only location and time period usually explored, whereas I've seen more freedom in scifi

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Sci-Fi for sure. As for Final Fantasy, I'm kinda tired of Sci-fi and modern FF. Really want the next mainline to be more fantasy like IX.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Sci-fi but there are so few sci-fi games that I make do with fantasy. A lot of sci-fi is basically fantasy in space.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Generally Fantasy. Sci-Fi rarely draws me in as much.

A mix of both is also neat.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Sci-fi

But what is really lacking is far-future science-fantasy. There's Tides of Numenera and that's about it

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Sci-fi, because there's always potential to see something truly unique and otherworldly.

Fantasy genre has become far too "canonical", it's rare to see an original setting.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Urban fantasy ala Persona, or weird fantasy ala FFX or FFXII are my thing. I like how "otherwordly" my favourite RPGs are (Baten Kaitos, the Chrono). Not really fantasy, definitely not sci-fi, but quite something in between.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
QuickVibrantBichonfrise-size_restricted.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sci-fi by far, I feel it has more potential as it has more span in terms of design, setting, time period, etc...

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely fantasy, preferably of the low variety (e.g. the Witcher series). I don't really care much for sci-fi.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Sci-Fi. Fantasy has often meant European medieval fantasy and as such doesn't feel as diverse of a setting as it could be.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sci Fi. This gen has had so many fantasy games that all blend together

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy for me. Don't get me wrong, both can be great when done right, but I enjoy the average fantasy setting much more than the average sci-fi setting. Generic forests > generic metal hallways

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I chose fantasy but OP you are making me choose between my 2 favorite genres !
I would hate to lose either and really could have chosen either.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
For movies and games, sci-fi. I've been fascinated with the idea of space travel and exploration since I was a kid, and visual media gives me the chance to experience these in a way nothing else can. That said, when reading a book, nothing beats epic fantasy.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I enjoy both, but I'm a sucker for castles and swords and creepy monsters. The darker the fantasy type the better.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
All I know for certain is that we need more AAA sci-fi space opera.

Where is our The Culture series of games?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I like them both, though I generally don't like it when they are mixed.

Like, people with standard, metal swords fighting enemies with guns, etc. Unless it's a laser sword and they have some kind of "force" powers I can't get past how stupid that scenario is.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I prefer sci-fi, to be more specific games in the vein of Gemini Rue, but what I want to see even more is a well-made urban fantasy, the genre has like 10 games total with half of them being SMT or Persona there the urban part is boring as hell.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Sci-Fi by far. I just have never really had a great interest in the fantasy backdrop much of the time.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't matter if it's books, movies, or games, I prefer Sci-Fi, but still enjoy fantasy.

Sci-fi imagines a world that might be, whereas fantasy is a world that never was.

If it had to pick one (although science fantasy is the superior choice), I'd probably pick scifi. I feel like fantasy is too tied to medieval Europe as the only location and time period usually explored, whereas I've seen more freedom in scifi
Yep, this is part of it too. As vast as fantasy can be, the settings are typically so similar.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
If I had infinity dollars, I'd make a developer that makes games that play similar to the Witcher 3, but go through various cultures throughout the world and include their legends, culture, history, and music. Mostly because I'm tired of seeing fantasy based in not-Europe.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fantasy, but nothing too outrageous. Sci-Fi is ok if it's still grounded and reletively low-tech. Cyberpunk sci-fi is cool.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Fantasy for me. It's way easier to do good fantasy than it is good sci-fi, so there tends to be more quality content in that genre.
I think making different species/types of aliens in sci-fi is really tough to get right though, because you kinda can't really do fantasy stuff like dwarves, elves, orcs etc.- and with sci-fi, only the real classic ones that are pop culture icons are really memorable. Basically, you can't really screw up an orc, but not everyone could come up with something as memorable asa wookie.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sci-fi by far. Swords & sandals, orcs & dragons all leaves me cold. But sleek spaceships, holograms and neon lasers are my jam.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Both can be great, but not a fan of fantasy that's just medieval with monsters and magic as a theme, give me more.

Oct 25, 2017
Sci-fi is more varied and generally more layered.

There are so many amazing sci-fi films compared to fantasy, and amazing TV series and books as well. Heck, sci-fi had arguably the more interesting games as well recently, with titles like SOMA and Outer Wilds, but it's still not enough.

Two devs that I'd love to see a sci-fi game from: Naughty Dog (space opera) and From Software (sci-fi horror).