• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Price you won't go over?

• There is no price point, sky is the limit

Votes: 277 24.1%
  • $599

Votes: 201 17.5%
  • $499

Votes: 341 29.7%
  • $399

Votes: 168 14.6%
  • $299

Votes: 37 3.2%
  • I never buy consoles at launch

Votes: 124 10.8%

• Total voters

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
Let's say Xbox Series X launches at $499 and PS5 at $599, if you dont care about the companies but games would you pick XBX over PS5?

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I really would like £399 but £499 would be my limit at launch.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't care how much they cost, as long as i'm not paying for something i really don't want to have.

- Like forcing me to pay for Kinect although i hated it

Other then that, as long as i'm paying for something i will really use, and i dont feel like i'm getting ripped off, there is no real limit.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
$500 for me personally. even then, i think thats a bit much for what will only be used for exclusives and the inevitable shitty performance of 30fps.

Deleted member 64047

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
The Series X has got me pumped and I believe the PS5 will do the same too, so I'm down for paying a lot for both consoles at launch.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It seriously depends on the launch games for me. If there's something I have to play I'll pay a high price.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It would depend on the library and hardware to start. I'd prefer around $400, but even then taxes can really kill the buzz for me.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
For a primary console, no.
For a secondary console at launch ... maybe.

If the Xbox Series X is $600 and the PlayStation 5 is $500....that would make me wonder if I need both of the new shiny toys at launch, especially as I will want to upgrade my PC soon.
I will know next-gen is starting because my wallet is hurting and my common sense is taking a backseat.

Great poll question, OP. :)

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy consoles at launch, but if I did, $399 is the absolute highest I'd go. Hell, I still haven't bought a Switch because after accessories and a game, I'd be well over that.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Depends how much I want the console. I have no interest in a PS5 or Series X at launch, so even if they were $99 I wouldn't spend that money. I spent $299 for a Switch at launch and I thought that was reasonable, but it all depends on if I want the console in the first place and what it offers for the price

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not going to go over $550 for a home console. The only exception to this is if the PS5 is fully BC with PS1-3 and digital Vita/PSP, which it won't be so my original pricing barrier will stand lol.

XSX for example I will not pay more than $550 no matter what it does.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
$599 USD (Around $1000 AUD after tax) would probably be the most I'd be willing to pay. $699 USD would be out of the question, I might as well build another PC for that price.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Anything above $500 will be a niche product in the marketplace. So few games if any will be marketed solely for a console priced at $550 and higher. And I'd be perfectly content waiting a year for the price to drop at least $100.

At $499, even if the price hits $399 by the next holiday, I'd still feel like I got my money's worth. (This is also why I think there's no chance that PS5 will exceed $499. Sony's already said there will be PS5 games that aren't cross gen, and those games wouldn't sell nearly enough with that high of a barrier to entry.)

Oct 25, 2017
The conversion to CAD is pretty scary. $599 is a no. $499 is $666 CAD so that's probably a no too.

I'd be in at $399, anything higher I'd have to think about.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I don't buy them at launch because there are hardly any games at launch. The PS4 didn't have a good game until a year after release.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
CAD conversion hurts so much, either way 499 US is my limit, any more than that and I rather just upgrade my gpu

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I did the PS3 day one and I don't see the price going over that again so I'll cope. The real test will the price of NVIDIA's next flagship card.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It really depends on what's being offered.

I didn't blink with the PS3 at $599, because I'm apparently a sucker. I couldn't resists PS1/PS2/DVD/CD/Blu-Ray features, HDMI, wifi, card readers, bluetooth, and all that jazz back in 2006. It worked out for me, though, because the PS3 is easily my most played console.

Nowadays... a $599 console would need to offer some neat hardware feature above and beyond what $399 boxes are doing. Superb BC would probably make me consider it, or, I dunno, some VR perk. I'm expecting $499.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely depends on the performance/price ratio.

I'm not a fan of the manufacturers shorting the hardware just to reach a magic number pricepoint when these things are going to be around 6-8 years.

With patience in buying games by waiting for sales and price drops rather than all day-one game purchases, it's easy to make up say a $100 difference.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
$400 is my limit if I'm really interested or there's nothing else I want to buy, $300 is probably my actual "don't have to think about it" sweet spot though.

Since I don't play a lot of games on consoles, once the price of the console + one new game + taxes reaches $600 it hits the point where I feel like there's more interesting things I could do with the money.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Not really. I mean I guess if it was like $1000 I might think twice, but anything below that is fine.

I spend so much time gaming and I'm excited for new hardware, so the investment doesn't bother me.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Nah, I'm in on both XSX/PS5 no matter what. Obviously i would prefer $399 or less, but I'm more than willing to pay more for higher performance.

Oct 28, 2017
It all depends on the launch exclusives but $499 is the magic spot for me this coming gen. If PS5 and XSX both come in at that price, I'll probably pick them both up at launch or soon after.

If both end up higher then I'm most likely going with XSX to start. Xbox has basically taken over as my primary console now solely because of gamepass and PlayStation has turned into more of an exclusives machine so Sony's launch lineup is crucial if they want me to buy immediately.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I balk at the thought of having to pay over 500 dollars, but I'll probably pay it anyway and hope the deal is sweetened with a free game or a year's worth of Game Pass or PSnow.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't buy them at launch because there are hardly any games at launch. The PS4 didn't have a good game until a year after release.

It's a bit different this time though. The PS4 couldn't run anything besides PS4 games at launch, the next gen consoles will most likely play BC titles with better performance (TLOU2, Tsushima, FFVII, etc.) and a lot of those titles will most likely get next gen versions or patches, CDPR already confirmed CP2077 coming out on next gen (probably near launch).

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
No price limit for me. If the console can justify the cost, or come close to it, and it has games I want, I'll shell out the cash

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Nobody is talking about the extent of the BC. My interest at different price points will vary drastically depending on whether it's just PS4 BC or full BC.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Broadly, my standard would be, "Does the hardware warrant the cost?"

By realistically, I think I'd have a hard time spending more than $499. I've only done that once before with a GPU, and that was an extremely rare event. (And there are enough caveats to the consoles experience that I don't feel good about paying a high premium there.)

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
499 euros. More expensive than that? Bundle both consoles with year of Game Pass/ PS Pass (or whatever is the name of Sony's equivalent subscription service next-gen) and we are talking.