• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cross? Or X?

• X

Votes: 2,646 94.2%
  • Cross

Votes: 163 5.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny to see "X" being the winner, here in France since the PS1 I always heard and said "Croix" ("Cross" in French) and almost never "X" unless that's an Xbox, Sega or Nintendo console.
It's four shapes, not letters, so why would one of the button be called like a letter ?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I personally call it the "X" button, but I do see the validity in calling it the "cross" button. If the other buttons were letters and not shapes I would say that you'd be on something if you called it "cross," but the other buttons are "triangle" "circle" and "square" shapes.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Since I hardly ever use a Dualshock controller, to me an X is an X. I could be tempted to call it a cross if I were a Playstation user, just because it fits the 'geometric shapes' pattern, however the English vernacular has long been infected with calling a diagonal cross an "X" and a vertical/horizontal cross a "plus". Thus you don't see people calling the DS controller's X button a "cross", just as you don't see anyone calling the Switch's '+' button a "cross". Nowadays the only things anyone would still commonly call a cross are the religion-related ones.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I just call it X. I don't recall anyone I know calling it a cross button, even if it's technically correct.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Cross on playstation
X on xbox and nintendo.

Because on playstation its the shape and on xbox and nintendo its the letter.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Always called it X because the button layout is X, Y and A, B. Still call it X when I use the PS controller too.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Funny to see "X" being the winner, here in France since the PS1 I always heard and said "Croix" ("Cross" in French) and almost never "X" unless that's an Xbox, Sega or Nintendo console.
It's four shapes, not letters, so why would one of the button be called like a letter ?
Yup, for me it's weird as well. Three shapes and one letter, why???
I'm thinking that it must be a language thing, since cross in english is the religious cross, which is turned 45 degrees from X.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cross is such a dumb word to use for it, like...yeah, technically correct, but in western English the word cross has a connotation of shape that is NOT an X.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
On the controller that has symbols it's a cross. On the ones that have alphabets, it's an ecks. It's not hard.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Context is everything

on a PS controller the buttons are SHAPES
so its : triangle - circle - square - cross

on Nintendo and XBOX controllers alle the buttons are designated by LETTERS
so its A - B - X - Y

In france most of the people I know call it "CROIX" (cross) because we learned basic geometry in pre-school, and I'm glad I wasn't indoctrinated by religion enough to think a cross is ONLY a thing you nail people to.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
In English I refer to it as "x", but I often call it "a small cross" (krzyżyk) in Polish. I actually never realized this before this discussion.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like how we're 500 posts in and there are still intermittent posts trying to explain why it's "technically a shape".

Language is adaptive. Since the launch on the OG PSX, I have never heard one single human being in real life ever call it "cross". At this point the terms are fungible because everybody knows what you mean so it really doesn't matter.

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I called it X this whole time, but now that I'm thinking of it, cross makes more sense. None of the other buttons are letters, they are shapes. Kind of random for the button in question to randomly be a letter.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
X even though I know it's wrong. Been saying it since I was a child though so I can't really stop now, too much of a habit.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like how you think you're just really smart ever since you were wrong for being able to tell it was a cross since they were all shapes...when most people just call that shape an X. It's not an ignorance thing lol.

What is with all ya'll with this defensive minority/superiority thing going on.

I don't think I'm especially smart nor am I ignorant. I really do wonder ever since why people seemingly intuitively call it X when it clearly is a cross. That's all folks.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Jesus didn't die for our sins upon a sweet DualShock. It's X.

(pretty sure this is just a regional UK vs everyone else thing)

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cross Marks the spot.
I have to go get a cross-ray on my broken leg.
My cross-wife took everything in the divorce.
Wolverine is my favorite cross-men character.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
wHvlnSp.png

The Holy Cross button.