• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What word do you use when you are done playing a game?

• Beat

Votes: 299 44.2%
  • Finish

Votes: 258 38.2%
  • Complete

Votes: 73 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 46 6.8%

• Total voters

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
To use speedrunning terms, "beat" to me means "Any%" (i.e., beat the final boss, finish the story, get to the end credits, etc.), whereas "complete" means "100%" (i.e., clear every questline, obtain every item and milestone the game keeps track of, etc.).

In general, I beat games. The last game I completed was Mario Odyssey.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Actually this a great question. I treat all my games differently. Some I will simply finish, others I have this need to complete all the achievements for it.

I prefer to get games I can proper invest into.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I like to get 100%/platinum trophy in all my games.

It doesn't bother me if I don't but it is what I aim for.

Of course if it's not in the Playstation ecosystem/doesn't have any trophies then I'll play it until I finish the main campaign and call it a day.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Depends on the level of completion. I usually say beat if I saw the credits, but I'll also say something like 100% completed as well.

Like I can say I beat every Zelda game but have never 100% completed one (except the first one).

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finish and move on. If complete means all trophies and shiets nope.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'll go with beat. The get-out-of-my-way beat the game method. When you're going for "completion" you are going for trophies/achievements and keeping a total on gamer score.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have always said that I completed a game when credits roll.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beat to me is completing the campaign. Finish would be when I'm completely done with it.

Oct 26, 2017
I master games. I don't 'beat' them, I'm not a caveman. I don't 'finish' them, it's not a race. And I don't 'complete' them, they're not a checklist. Mastery is my craft.

/s

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Beat and finish are basically the same thing to me, beat feels a bit more dated, arcade/nes era terminology. Complete I would probably use more for 100% trophy/achievements completion.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole "beating" or "winning" at games thing is something I don't think I've ever personally encountered. It overall strikes me as an Americanism, as others have noted. This isn't sports. This isn't a contest. You don't "beat" a book. You don't "beat" a song. You don't "beat" a walk through the countryside. You complete these things. I've noticed that on the internet, there is a strong overlap between sports rhetoric and gaming rhetoric. When people talk about how their gaming experience is validated by challenge and overcoming that challenge, it's like hearing a football player talk. They talk as though the gaming experience is a battle where the only acceptable outcome is their own "victory".

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
To me:

Beat = campaign
Finish = campaign and side missions etc...
Complete = campaign, side mission etc... and trophies/achievements

Beat all the time.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I say I've "finished" a game when I'm done with it, in the sense of having done everything I want to do. "Complete" implies 100%, Platinum trophy, etc to me.

My ex used to say she'd "wrapped" a game.

I beat a (game's) boss, I finished a game (= end credits), I completed a game (= platinum achievement).

Yes, exactly this.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Finish, unless I leave the game incomplete because it bored me or something. I like to see all of the most important content.