• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I guess a bit? I (know I) get a bit defensive when other people criticize my country, even though I most likely expressed that same criticism myself. But it's still 'my country'.

That's probably to do with the fact that there are a lot of things I genuinely really appreciate about the Netherlands. I'm not gonna pretend I'm not a little bit proud when our tiny ass country gets a thread on here praising our bicycle culture.

I also genuinely believe the Netherlands are quite progressive. It could be better, but it could also be a whole lot worse.

That said, with how appreciative I am of some of the things of my country, I'm also sometimes deeply, deeply disappointed in some of its people. In the way they act and how they could possibly think the way they do.

So I guess a bit.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
I guess I get pretty "patriotic" during the Olympics, cheering for the athletes that represent our country and all that jazz. But I also cheer for athletes from other countries when there's a heartwarming story surrounding them. I wept openly when Hidilyn Diaz won the first ever gold for the Philippines for instance.

But this place, especially my state (Texas), can also be an absolute dumpster fire to a large amount of the population, so I openly criticize and advocate for change to make it a better place to live for everyone.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Yep, USA baby! Lot of people talk shit on Texas but Houston and now where I live Dallas (a little less) are some of the most diverse city's in not just the US but the world. Was kind of crazy how white Western Europe was when I have visited excluding Spain.

We're just No. 1 on the amount of haters list, some earned and some salt.

But really I could live a lot of places if I could speak the language, I'm pretty open to anywhere as long as I could make a living.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
no.

I'd leave in a heart beat if the process wasnt like having every finger nail ripped from your hand one by one for a decade plus.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Never in my life have I felt some strong unconditional love towards the country I was born or live in. Born in Russia, moved to germany when I was 10.

The only time I root for countries is during the football world and euro cups, because I have to pick some teams I want to win.

Blind patriotism like you see constantly in the usa for example, with their anthems during sports events, flags everywhere etc. is obnoxious to me.

With Tennis being my favourite sport I also get annoyed all the time if tv channels choose to show a match with a lower ranked german player because he is "one of our athletes" instead of a much more hype match going on at the same time with better and more popular players.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I love it in terms of geography. France has a very diverse geography relative to its size.

I appreciate that I live in a peaceful and rich country.

But I can't say I "love'" France.
And Except far-right people, I don't think I've heard any French say they love France lol.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I was born in Ukraine.
Despite living in Canada, I remain a Ukrainian nationalist. As do most Ukrainian immigrants I know.

It's a huge part of who I am, because I lived on the edge of this identity divide my entire life. And, y'know, the past 18 years have been quite turbulent in that regard.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
I'm from the UK- so nope. I live in Canada and like it more than my own country- but never goes as far as love a country.

Oct 27, 2017
I love Greece as a place I guess - countryside is great, the islands are beautiful and during the summer I can't think of a more wholesome place to live at. In an ideal life I would retire and relocate to one of the quieter islands to spend the rest of my days peacefully.

I don't like most of the people however, current government is completely backwards, and we're so fucked economically we've become a textbook example of what not to do as a country.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm very grateful and feel very lucky to live in Canada but I don't think I'd ever say I 'Love my country'. Maybe I've just seen way too many shit heads that use patriotism as a mask for their racism but I side-eye anyone who says they love their country unironically. Red flags go further up if they say something attesting to how their country is the best in the world.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord no. I hate the US and current planning moving out of here within the next five years.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
no lol
I love some of the theoretical and conceptual things the US supposedly stands for (but really doesn't). that said, I recognize i'm very fortunate to live here compared to some others

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
In a sense, yes. The U.S. could be so much more, and so much better, which is why I am so personally critical of it. If I truly didn't care for this country and the people in it, I would be apathetic to its problems, or worse, try to shut down any criticism of it. The Right's insistence that America is a perfect place that has transcended any past issues or wrongdoings has always struck me as deeply insecure, and the opposite tact to take with something you love. I don't "love" this place in the sense that I unconditionally hold it in high regard, or actively support everything about it.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
If I wasn't born here, had the means and support to leave, and could ensure a decent standard of living, I think I'd move.

This country human trafficked or murdered my ancestors on both sides of my family and every day more people who look like me are slandered/murdered/vilified/portrayed as lawless heathens.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
11737955_691162574323690_2130069774525948381_n.jpg

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
A country is just a patch of dirt and the jackasses who govern it, so… I'm gonna go with no.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm in Canada. It's pretty and I am glad that I can live my life as a trans woman. The province I'm in is even having advocates looking at making it easier to transition which makes me happy.

Love is a strong word though. I would say I like it. Regardless Canada has its fair share of issues that's for sure. Too many to go into really just like any other country.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't "love" my country(Canada), but when I compare mine to 90/95% of the countries out there(even our southern neighbor), I'm glad this is where I live, but that's about it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are people who live here that I care about. But the country itself? Not really.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
I was born in Ukraine and moved to America. America is the best country in the world and I wouldn't trade it for anything. That being said we all know what is happening in Ukraine and I still have family over there. I am beyond proud of how their fighting back. So to answer the question, "Do I love my country" that would be an astounding YES! Both where i was born and where I live.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No, not really. If I never see tartan or hear bagpipes again I wouldn't care. That is superficial though. We have crap life/health expectancy compared to most of Europe, horrible drug death stats in the young, just crap health stuff in general. Child poverty is high, homelessness is higher than it should be, foodbanks are rife, just we fucking suck at looking after ourselves - now some will blame the Union and - look we suck at looking after ourselves. So no I do not 'Love My Country'. The tap water is very nice though.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
No! I have zero attachment to England and to any of the people here. I would move in a heartbeat if I had the chance and renounce my nationality.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's where I live and plan to live the rest of my life.

I neither love nor hate it.

It's a good place overall, but I don't feel any sort of emotion for it. I don't feel shame or pride.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
It's treated me well but others so poorly that I can't say I feel anything towards it one way or another. I like the county I live in; the people are genuinely amazing and it's very progressive. I love the people here.

In the context of what is going on in the world right now; it is my home, my family's home, and there are a lot of people I love and care about here. Can't imagine what my reaction would be if shit hit the fan, because it is such an unrealistic scenario that I feel like any answer is coming from a life of security and privilege and I couldn't fathom how I'd actually react.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
no, that's weird. sometimes I even root for other countries during the Olympics lol.

I try and make it better through whatever means I have but I just live here, man.

it's also very good at letting you down.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I thought I did, but nah. This pandemic and these past few years have revealed a lot about Canada's true character in many ways and not a fan.

Oct 29, 2017
I talk a fair bit of shit, but that's because this place can and should be so much better for everyone.

d0x6t9bsxe151.jpg
this is how i feel too. i love america, but it's got a lot of issues that need to be addressed. imo being critical of your country and wanting it to improve is a form of patriotism, but blind worship of the country and willfully ignoring its flaws crosses the line into nationalism.