• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the best thread to ask but I finally got the bioshock collection and....

Is bioshock 2 the same as the first? Was amazed by the story and gameplay of the first but an hour into the 2nd it feels like more of the same.

Should I just jump into infinite and skip 2?

2 doesn't have the magic of exploring rapture for the first time, but it is unquestionably the better game. Combat is better and level design is more consistent meaning fewer lows than the original. The story is good not great and the dlc fantastic. Play it

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was humorous how they changed the gameplay quite a bit in episode 2 to loosely resemble Thief, when Dishonored had come out right before the main game and ended up being the better Bioshock 3... ep 2 seemed like a bit of an acknowledgement of that

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
In think it's a perfect place to ask. Have they fixed collection issues like missing effects etc.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's been 5+ years since I played it but I still have that little song in my head "why oh why can't I have a slice of that pie?"

Say what you will about Infinite the art direction and music was amazing. So few games are as stylish as the Bioshock series.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Burial at Sea is complete and utter trash. It's Star Wars prequel level writing. Fuck Burial at Sea. Imagine being the worst, laziest writer possible, but somehow bring in lcharge of the DLC for a huge franchise."We all grew up in the same orphanage" didn't we?

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Sometimes I forget just how elitist this community can be.

Then I see an attempt at discussion of Bioshock Infinite.

(It's a good game and the DLC is fun. Just like with Mass Effect: Andromeda, Arkham Knight, DmC Devil May Cry, and any number of others, people just like to shit all over it for not being as good as its predecessors. If anyone was on the fence about it, don't let the no fun allowed people discourage you from checking it out.)

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Honestly, the only thing I remember about Burial at Sea is it having pretty bad writing and this is from somebody who actually liked the writing in Infinite for the most part.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Contrary to a lot of opinions I see here on resetera, I fucking love Infinite and Burial at Sea. Fantastic game and I will gladly revisit it again now that's free on Plus. People who like the series should really play the DLC.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man people really don't like Infinite huh
I hated it. The shift to two weapon gameplay, the uninspiring narrative with often confused morals, the butchering of the level design, the absolute garbage fire that was Lady Comstock, the clear wasted potential everywhere, I hated all of it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad that Burial at Sea tries to fix what they did to poor (spoilers for Infinite and Burial at Sea)Daisy Fitzroy, as for the mistakes that Infinite made, that narrative blunder was what nearly ruined it for me. It doesn't work that well, but I am glad they at least tried to remedy it.

Burial at Sea is really quite good.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the remasters for XB1, but never got round to replaying much (mostly because of how aged the combat is) but I do need to get round to it.

Never did get round to BaS, either.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
From some comments, it seems like Bioshock Infinite kicked your dogs or something

The game is not as good as the first two, but the DLC was legit.
I loved going back to Rapture, and I loved what it did story wise

I was replaying Infinite recently, and despite having some major flaws, in some aspects it's really awesome.
The art is amazing, and at times it doesnt look like a last gen game. The voice acting is ace, and I love how bold it goes with it story and setting.

I really miss story driven games like these, that feels unique and takes risks.
Yeah boldly fucking up it's oppression themes so it can fuck around with baby's first quantum physics.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Infinite is BioShock jumping the shark. BaS is BioShock landing in the water and being torn to pieces by said shark.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
The hate boner that ERA has for Infinite will never not be funny. Anyways Burial at Sea is pretty great, that first hour alone is amazing and any Bioshock fan's dream of walking around pre-catastrophe Rapture.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It is indeed.

It's also terrible. Bad fan fiction level writing. Filled with edgy shit for no thematic reason, characters acting out of turn, and needlessly retconning the bits of Infinite that worked well.

And I say this as someone who quite enjoyed Infinite as well.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I had played the base games on the PS3. Can I select in the PS4 collection the DLC separately?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Burial at Sea was much better than Bioshock Infinite.

Because I sure as hell didn't. This is basically a PSA thread because that "DLC" is basically Bioshock 4 in all but name. If you are a fan of the Bioshock series at all get on that DLC ASAP.

Everything about this DLC is spoiler so I would ask that people use tags appropriately. Some mind blowing lore stuff cascading across the series. Dunno if I just missed the boat but my mouth was agape watching some pretty significant cutscenes just blowing open every nook and cranny of the series.

Get on that ASAP.
Yeah of course we knew, it was a pretty popular dlc and of course people who are into Bioshock knew about and played the dlc, it's not obscure.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
It's the best gameplay Bioshock Infinite has but it's plot feels more like a fanfic and does a disservice for both Bioshock 1/2 and Elizabeth.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like playing Bioshock infinite and was largely disappointed by it so I have no interest in playing any of the dlc. From what i understand, it just retcons the terrible ending infinite had and somehow makes it worse so really no interest at all

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the folks who don't get why Infinite (not BAS) is so broadly disliked (and dismiss it as "lol era") must not have actually read or understood the criticism of it. Or they just have an unhealthy love for holding the shoot button, ultraviolence, mindlessly okaying through narrative that is truly bizarre once you stop to think for half a second, awful boss design, repeating the same terrible boss three times, walking through corridors and old timey covers of pop songs. The WOFF podcast did a pretty good episode on the game that goes into all the reasons it has issues.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I never played it but probably should. As I have the collection on Xbox and now PS4 thanks to PS+. I've played everything else including Minerva's Den

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Contrary to a lot of opinions I see here on resetera, I fucking love Infinite and Burial at Sea. Fantastic game and I will gladly revisit it again now that's free on Plus. People who like the series should really play the DLC.
Agreed with this. Props to the people in here that dislike it and are actually staying civil/explaining what they didn't like. Most of the thread is just drive-bys. 😔

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The narrative in both parts felt like i was playing the Direct to DVD Disney Sequel to Bioshock Infinite. The one thing in Infinite's narrative I hadnt extremely cooled on by the time BaS came around was its ending that to me posited "Bioshock can be an infinite number of things" and BaS responds with "But what if... actually it couldnt?.

I'll never forget how the twist at the end of part 1 was so doofily handled, its cut exactly like a comedy parodying a shocking reveal.

edit- i also remember the stealth in part 2 becoming super busted once you got the peeping tom plasmid. i would just sit in one spot and make a pile of corpses as the dumb enemies kept coming over to investigate the noise

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The second part is probably the best piece of Bioshock out there. I don't know how often I watched that ending on Youtube.
Shit I gotta replay this.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I remember not being a fan. I did not like the game much overall either, though.

Torture sequence was unpleasant - I know that's the point, it wasn't worth it - and the laughable attempts to retcon the main game's horrible twists didn't endear me to it either. Ah, so it's the twins' fault that she tried to murder that kid? Sure. Great. Totally gonna clear up my feelings on that horrible moment, sure, you bet.

EDIT:

I will also say that it remains frustrating to see people dismiss criticism of Infinite as being unusual, as someone who was critical of it when I played it at launch. And it's usually framed as "oh, everyone just suddenly turned on it after a while", when if you look at a timeline of things written about it, the criticism was pretty much immediate.

Last edited:

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
I loved Burial at Sea for its gameplay differences, environments, and series-unifying lore additions. I hated it for what it did to Bioshock Infinite's ending.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I think it's actually Bioshock 3, not 4, because the second one should be Bioshock Gaiden - it's obviously non-canon. And yeah, I like Bioshock 2 as well, it's no offense to say it's a Gaiden

Smh at people complaining about Burial at Sea's gameplay, it fits the series brilliantly and if anything should've been used more before.

May 26, 2018
It was ok. Gameplay was good.

Story was so damn depressing though. It's like a misery conga line. Zero interest in going through that ever again.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember much about it, but the ending kinda soured Infinite for me. Maybe I need to replay it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I knew it, i just had zero interest in playing more Bioshock after being bummed by Infinite

Still have it. Waiting. One of these days i might be bored enough to replay Infinite and actually play the DLC too

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Burial at Sea is another awful piece of BioShock Infinite content that shoehorns in Rapture for fanservice, while not expanding upon the first BioShock game's lore or intrigue in literally any conceivable way. BioShock 2 did substantially more for the series than the useless Infinite ever did.

"Rapture wasn't special." Every reality is about a radical right winger who created an idyllic city that ultimately devolved into a dystopia, and you are transported there via lighthouse. Furthermore, a city in collapse and its residents afflicted by drug addiction apparently aren't interesting enough subject matter to stand on their own, so we must involve convoluted time jump shenanigans and give the player a Disney princess to look after. Oh, and who could forget the meaningless "both sides are the same" limpdick political / social commentary, where the leader of the rebellion is a child-killing maniac and just as bad as the religious zealot who founded the city in the first place? Of course, that gets conveniently dropped in favor of telling the story of how two blandos (Booker and Elizabeth) leapt through time.

I'm sorry about the soapbox, but Infinite actively offends me. To this day, it's still probably my most anticipated, yet ultimately least favorite sequel ever made. Burial at Sea is just more salt in the wound. I sincerely hope that the next BioShock game just does its own thing, rather than try to follow the shitcrock "lore" established by the despicable Infinite.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Is bioshock 2 the same as the first? Was amazed by the story and gameplay of the first but an hour into the 2nd it feels like more of the same.

BioShock 2+Minvera's Den is the only BioShock anyone should actually play...

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

The 2nd gets better as it goes but is fundamentally flawed in its narrative by being set in Rapture.

I made a thread on it a while back and while it didn't get much traction most people agreed with me in it.

Bioshock 2 is about collectivism and has a great story to tell about it, even more so than 1. But environment of Rapture is trying to tell a different story. It was designed from the ground up for the first games narrative on libertarianism, and every aspect of it, from how vending machines work to the locations, to the writing on the walls is telling that story.

So the city is more of the same but the main narrative (of the big daddy you play as and the daughter) is different and very good actually.

Also the gameplay is fantastic.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Burial at Sea you could hold more weaapons etc. I personally liked it more than the base game.

Not that I think Infinite was bad, but in the end it was just another linear ADS shooter with a 2 weapon limit we've seen so many times during those times.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The 2nd gets better as it goes but is fundamentally flawed in its narrative by being set in Rapture.

I made a thread on it a while back and while it didn't get much traction most people agreed with me in it.

Bioshock 2 is about collectivism and has a great story to tell about it, even more so than 1. But environment of Rapture is trying to tell a different story. It was designed from the ground up for the first games narrative on libertarianism, and every aspect of it, from how vending machines work to the locations, to the writing on the walls is telling that story.

So the city is more of the same but the main narrative (of the big daddy you play as and the daughter) is different and very good actually.

Also the gameplay is fantastic.
I agree with your overall point but not the specifics of Bioshock 2. I though it's narrative was poor for the simple reason it wasn't attempting anything. Stories about communism and collectivism failing are literally a dozen a dime. Whereas Bioshock was tilting at a philosophy we don't often seen in games, or indeed any media, Bioshock 2 attacked something that to be honest we've all heard a thousand times before.

Theres no reason lesson to be learnt about collectivism in the way Bioshock 2 approached it. It's a done story, and didn't take any risks or go any new places at all. The only section that was interesting was the mutated scientist storyline and exploring the rights of the self over the body after change.