• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
For all the love and criticism we give the industry daily, would you liked to actually be involved in it in any capacity professionally. Game reviewer, localizer, dev, community manager, QA, consultant , whatever. Would you want to see it from the other (or at least a different) side?

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
It would be nice in theory, but gaming fans spoil it, being fussy little shites we are

Last edited:

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Working in the game industry is pretty much terrible for the majority of people unless you're in management or in marketing.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Comedian and screenwriter here, first novel coming out this Winter :3, but I'd really jump at the chance to write or localize a dope game.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Hell no. From what I hear and read it is a nightmare.

Long grueling 60 hour work weeks, tedious development cycles, rushed deadlines, having to work under publisher mandates, restricted freedom, staring at bits of code on a computer screen for 10 hours a day, living in a tiny home because you're paying $4,000 a month rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in CA. Why would anyone subject themselves to such torture?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. From what I hear and read it is a nightmare.

Long grueling 60 hour work weeks, tedious development cycles, rushed deadlines, having to work under publisher mandates, restricted freedom, staring at bits of code on a computer screen for 10 hours a day, living in a tiny home because you're paying $4,000 a month rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in CA. Why would anyone subject themselves to such torture?
I mean, there are other jobs besides game dev listed in the OP, but okay.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Yes but I do know of the conditions and hardships that go through. However, I love to create and innovate. So I would definitely do it for the culture, no doubt about it.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. Honestly a simple social media managerial role would suit me fine, just anything to work from home.

I'm desperate. PM me!

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
~12/13 years and counting.

I'm at the, "well back in MY day working in the industry we didn't have your fancy DATA and online multiplayer and yadda yadda yadda..." stage of my career. Ha.

So I guess it's rather, would I do anything else? Probably not.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
No.

I used to draw up casts/write stories/plan scenarios (haphazardly mostly) for dreamt up JRPGs as a kid and, in some sense, I do still fantasize occasionally about being able to be a "creative lead" or director of such a project but...I do not have the skill set, do not tell stories people'd much care to hear, can't draw too well, etc. Nor do I want to work at a big publisher or have the skill set for that either.

So I've put those things aside in a box and look at them from time to time. I do name my character in create-a-character games after my favorite characters from my "games" often times though.

Nov 3, 2017
Occasionally I would wish I could work at someplace like Giant Bomb or Waypoint, but that's under the assumption I would have a similar salary and career opportunities that I have in my job, which I find unlikely

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do it, it's tiring. Though the whole self-operation thing means that I work more than I should.

But yeah, there's not a whole lot else that I could imagine myself wanting to do when it comes to work.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe but only on the IT side of things. I could see myself being a network engineer or sys admin for a dope studio.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm a CS major so I would love to learn more about the games that are built specifically for one spec and how devs are able to get the most out of consoles games, for instance. I'm still a freshman but to see some seniors talk about threading and efficiency and stuff reminds of all talk about optimization here. I would like to make a small game engine at some point and probably become an indie dev later. But that's just wishful thinking for now.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like for me it'd be a bit like dissecting a fairy to see where pixie dust comes from.

Vital_Vertigo

Oct 31, 2017
I would love to be part of a fighting game, or wrote story/ make mechanics for an RPG.
Unfortunately I never see this happening. I have a tough time learning code, and dont really see an entry point into the field for myself.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I'd love to be a texture artist, but I have no idea how to start and even if hired somewhere the odds of actually getting to work on the kinds of games I'm interested in would probably be low. I started a texture mod for Majora's Mask over a year ago and found it was so much fun I've kept it up since with part-time hours each week. If I could do it as a full time job I would, but the love for the material really has to be there for it to be worthwhile. I wouldn't want to work 60 hours a week on a game I myself wouldn't even play.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
The games industry outside of the independent scene appears to be a meat grinder that exists for no other reason than to burn the light out of young aspiring entrants.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most people here should spend a few weeks at a game studio, the thread quality would improve a fair amount once there was a better understanding of how games are actually made ;)

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am under the impression you start out working for unlivable wages in the West Coast, I don't even know where I would live. I would do it if I had some place to live. Sick of doing this stuff for industries I don't care about.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I used to want to be a part of "that side" but as the years went by it just doesn't seem worth it. I especially wouldn't want to have to deal with the public side of things.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did, and now I'm glad I don't. I learned a lot about myself and tolerance towards massive nerd egos. Just imagine working with people who are like the worst posters on gaming-ERA or other forums. For 8+ hours a day. 6 days a week...*shudder*

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Ah heck yeah, but only in the same way I operate in my current industry (theatre), i.e. independent, on the outskirts and doing well enough to make a living from it without having to get involved in the nastier side of things (no exploitation of talented people, thank you, it's just not necessary). I'm a writer/marketer/producer so figure those skills are transferable despite knowing nothing of coding. I plan on giving it a go in a decade or so, current business still going to exciting places.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what I've read, it's a brutal industry to work in

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
I did, and now I'm glad I don't.

Yep.

I sometimes miss the creative aspects of the work and actually seeing a final product to launch...

But I definitely don't miss the people, the environment, the stress, the hours, the lifestyle, or any of the other severely negative aspects of the job. I'm much happier being semi-retired and spending my days running a tabletop game store where I have a set hours, no stress, and spend most of my time enjoying my hobbies with people who aren't a constant whirlwind of toxicity and negativity.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I was not expecting this amount of self-awareness about the gaming community and ERA itself. Where is this in the other threads?

I am under the impression you start out working for unlivable wages in the West Coast, I don't even know where I would live. I would do it if I had some place to live. Sick of doing this stuff for industries I don't care about.
Yep, Seattle on contract is what I'm looking at. Yikes.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'd like to write a book about a specific aspect of the industry, a sort of history of "insert game here". I like research but my writing leaves something to be desired. I also went to film school for a hot minute and understand the impact Youtube has had, I've considered making short Youtube docs on various industry topics but the competition there is pretty steep.

Short answer: Yes.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
QA tester or something like the nintendo treehouse or work for a gaming video channel sounds nice to me, full time dev tho? Nah not for me. Reggies job also is fine by me. So management, pr & marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Yes. That's the only way I'm going to get the games I want made and the industry is still lacking people of color and women and I'm going to be the one to change it. The fuck I look like complaining about it, but not doing shit to change it? I'm going to be the change and I can't rely on the Japanese or white men to make the change I want to see.