• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Disney actively avoided any acknowledgement at all about his existence until the episode aired. Above and beyond what was normal. It's within everyone's rights to complain that people are spoiling something so blatantly.

There's a difference between a show having a mysterious marketing campaign and a spoiler. ABC/journalist were not spoiling Lost back in 2004 when they aired commercials/wrote articles referencing a monster in the jungle after the premier. The monster existing in the jungle was part of the shows premise.

I can empathize with folks who don't have access to Disney+ but to expect the internet to spoiler tag innocuous details of the show seems like a stretch.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what time does the Mandalorian take place in the SW universe?

(I know nothing about the show except it has a Boba Fett looking dude.)

Yoda was 900 Years Old by Empire Strikes back.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I'm not sure they can actually do that

They can actually. All unauthorized use of copyrighted material is copyright infringement. Yes even gifs, most memes, desktop backgrounds, fan art and hell even all of our avatars here.

The thing is most IP owners tolerate all this illegial shenanigans knowing that: 1. they could not stop it all and 2. it provides free advertisement for their IPs.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, obviously.

Are y'all serious with this?
I've seen some people around the 'net getting legit confused by people calling him "Baby Yoda" that they actually believe that it is Yoda himself. I saw one person that thought there was just one of him and after he died in ROTJ another one just popped into existence as a baby somewhere. I think it was on Twitter or some comment section somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
ThVv2lM.jpg
2-5dd7dcba63ca9__700.jpg

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I've seen some people around the 'net getting legit confused by people calling him "Baby Yoda" that they actually believe that it is Yoda himself. I saw one person that thought there was just one of him and after he died in ROTJ another one just popped into existence as a baby somewhere. I think it was on Twitter or some comment section somewhere.

Admittedly it actually causes a lot of issues for Disney about this thing - We've never named the Yoda species definitively, and I doubt they will during the Mandelorian - so when they make toys of this thing, what the fuck do they call it? "The Child" isn't exactly catchy either.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
"Please stop doing our marketing for us for free, by organically sharing your enjoyment and raising awareness of the show we want to promote."

Gif sharing is probably ten times more effective at generating mindshare than the pathetically forced viral marketing attempts and committee-generated hash tags that marketing people try to push on consumers.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
So let me get this straight. The same lore that dives deep into literally everything never came up with a name for Yoda's species?

It's weird but as someone who read quite a bit of the old eu and have been reading the new stuff, the closest we came to a name for the species was a nickname one imperial officer gave Yoda but the species have been never been explored in detail on who they are or were they came from, neither in the old canon nor the disney canon with the Mandalorian being the first to actually give us any info.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly it actually causes a lot of issues for Disney about this thing - We've never named the Yoda species definitively, and I doubt they will during the Mandelorian - so when they make toys of this thing, what the fuck do they call it? "The Child" isn't exactly catchy either.
I absolutely expect the species to be named in the show. That's partially what got be so excited at the end of the first episode, before little dude started acting all cute.

First is pretty 'meh'. The other two have atleast been fairly entertaining.

It basically just feels like a videogame, the dude being handed RPG quests.
I did get that feeling.

They could make a pretty good Destiny starring Mandalorians from this period. She was even going to make an armor ornament in the form of his last kill. Show is a live action GaaS.

But damn little Yodling is cute.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Disney reaaaaaaaaally fucked it not having a global launch huh.

I mean not really because they're still going to make obscene, filthy amounts of money off Baby Yoda merch

But hey maybe it isn't OP'S fault for posting something that's literally on the internet everywhere

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Disney is the closest to fascist entertainment there is and will be. The idea of that company becoming bigger should be rejected by everyone with a free mind and spirit.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'd be upset about this, but since I had the baby toda reveal spoiled by friends on Facebook before I got a chance to watch The Mandelorian because they were all posting gifs, the spiteful part of me is kind of like, "Good." 😂😂

Not everybody can binges things the moment they come out, people.

Non-spiteful me, however, thinks this is fucking stupid. It's gifs! Can they do that with gifs? I can understand removing clips or episodes, but short gifs? That's lame.