• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

At least now we have a more specific timeframe.

Source: Disney+ (Twitter)

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
That's fantastic news. I've been watching random episodes of FXX. I already know it's one of my favorite shows ever but fuuuuuuuuuuuuucking hell, it holds up so dang well! Plus this thread means I can post this again.

765747.jpg

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Can someone enlighten me as to why widescreen versions are bad? Is it stretched out?

(Disney+ is not available in my coutry yet)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Oh man. I didn't think that would actually happen. I'd been tempted to throw on my DVDs for a while now.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally. I'm waiting for this before watching the series for the first time.

Very excited so I'm glad it's only a couple of more months.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
The show was for a looooong time drawn for a 4:3 aspect ratio. Meaning transiting those older episodes into a 16:9 formart cuts of a lot of the animation and in some cases ruins jokes/background gags.

Aaah! Gotcha! Yeesh, that's bad. Thanks y'all!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Why exactly is this so hard to do? Why couldn't they have done this immediately after people complained? Either way I will still subscribe when this is fixed.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, just rip the episodes off the DVDs and throw them onto Disney+, I'll be a happy camper. My DVDs playing on an HDTV have always looked significantly better than the upscaled cropped episodes that were run through a noise-reduction filter.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
In before it's still DNR'd and sharpened to all hell. Every FXX screenshot for The Simpsons I've seen looks bad.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was add black bars on the side. No cropping required. I guess they thought people would be aghast at something not in widescreen. Well tough luck for them. Widescreen is superior but a lot of media from the 20th century was created in 4:3.
Honestly I don't even think it's that. They just got the masters from Simpsons World and threw them on there without even bothering to check them.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
In before it's still DNR'd and sharpened to all hell. Every FXX screenshot for The Simpsons I've seen looks bad.

That's just inevitable sadly. I still have my DVDs of the classic seasons thankfully, but yeah, it's not a great remaster.

At least it'll be in its proper 4:3 format. It'll be a cold day in hell before shows like DBZ are again.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was confused why the first 20 seasons would all be 4:3 but then I remembered how long widescreen adoption took and how old the Simpsons is....still a little surprised.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was add black bars on the side. No cropping required. I guess they thought people would be aghast at something not in widescreen. Well tough luck for them. Widescreen is superior but a lot of media from the 20th century was created in 4:3.
It's even more bizarre than that - every Walt Disney Animation Studios film up until Lady and the Tramp is in 4:3 because widescreen theaters weren't a thing yet. And on Disney+ they're 4:3 just like they should be. Shows like Gargoyles are correct, too. The Simpsons thing must only exist because nobody bothered to check.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
That's just inevitable sadly. I still have my DVDs of the classic seasons thankfully, but yeah, it's not a great remaster.

At least it'll be in its proper 4:3 format. It'll be a cold day in hell before shows like DBZ are again.
You can watch like half of DBZ Kai in 4:3 right now on Adult Swim's website if you wanted. (Most need a cable subscription or equivalent login, but the last few are free.)

www.adultswim.com

Dragon Ball Z Kai

The anime classic is back and better than ever in a faster, stronger and completely re-cut version of the original series. Follow Goku, his son Gohan, their friends Piccolo, Krillin, Bulma and more as they battle the invading Saiyan forces of Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz to save the world.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's even more bizarre than that - every Walt Disney Animation Studios film up until Lady and the Tramp is in 4:3 because widescreen theaters weren't a thing yet. And on Disney+ they're 4:3 just like they should be. Shows like Gargoyles are correct, too. The Simpsons thing must only exist because nobody bothered to check.

This affects other Disney shows like Goof Troop, Gummi Bears and Chip'n'Dale too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You can watch like half of DBZ Kai in 4:3 right now on Adult Swim's website if you wanted. (Most need a cable subscription or equivalent login, but the last few are free.)

www.adultswim.com

Dragon Ball Z Kai

The anime classic is back and better than ever in a faster, stronger and completely re-cut version of the original series. Follow Goku, his son Gohan, their friends Piccolo, Krillin, Bulma and more as they battle the invading Saiyan forces of Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz to save the world.

Kai is already on 4:3 on home video at least, except for Buu.

Thankfully I have the Dragon Boxes and the pre-Buu Kai Blu-Rays.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Aspect ratio is important. Good to see a major corporation recognize this. I've seen too many shows cropped in ugly ways for really no reason.