• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Just finished the first day after five hours. Ended up being a pretty productive day ultimately, and I got the achievement for making Kim like me. He's a really great character, and I feel very invested in being his friend. The quality of writing in the game continues to impress me. It's very funny, but it can be quiet, beautiful, and sad when it wants to. The one convo on the intercom thing in the building next to the hostel was great, and the debrief with Kim at the end of day one is wonderful. Oh, and the conversation with the union boss was great writing, too. Genuinely had me sweating in my boots.

Sep 21, 2019
I hear that these skills are recommended for a second playthrough, since they give you kind of 'special' information. What do you think?

This confuses me. When you are having conversations and then the internal stuff happens with inland empire or shivers or whatever, this is happening because I have a lot of points in those stats? Like it seems to me that these checks come up no matter what, and you will success or fail them based on your skills. Does having more points in a skill cause that piece of the personality to be more prevalent in the game in some way?

Just really confused on this. Because I think things play out during conversations regardless of your skill level (like I have a 1 in motor skills but still see those skills appear in conversations that aren't dice roll checks). So I'm thinking that the insertions of the success/fail random pieces just come up the way they are no matter the skill distribution?

Like putting more points into a skill will maybe change what is said when the personality part talks but not the chance of it actually appearing?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This confuses me. When you are having conversations and then the internal stuff happens with inland empire or shivers or whatever, this is happening because I have a lot of points in those stats? Like it seems to me that these checks come up no matter what, and you will success or fail them based on your skills. Does having more points in a skill cause that piece of the personality to be more prevalent in the game in some way?

Just really confused on this. Because I think things play out during conversations regardless of your skill level (like I have a 1 in motor skills but still see those skills appear in conversations that aren't dice roll checks). So I'm thinking that the insertions of the success/fail random pieces just come up the way they are no matter the skill distribution?

Like putting more points into a skill will maybe change what is said when the personality part talks but not the chance of it actually appearing?
Skills that you have more points in will show up more often in conversation. The inverse is also true.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Finally got around to inspecting the body, Inland Empire kicked in HARD and oh my god

oh my good this game is a dream

Sep 21, 2019
Finally got around to inspecting the body, Inland Empire kicked in HARD and oh my god

oh my good this game is a dream

Yea, that shit was fucking wild. This game is awesome. Can't even begin to imagine the time that went into it.

End of first day, partner is asleep, and I'm flying solo exploring outside with a flashlight and collecting plastic and glass and getting involved in some crazy shit.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game around 20 hours. I accidentally rushed the end a bit and had more I could have done. I mostly liked the ending.

Ending info:
Not sure I liked how some portions seemed to be artificially blocked off until we did specific things, i.e. the water lock, the island and the actual murderer, the mercenaries, Ruby's hiding spot

Overall, the game was really entertaining. Look forward to any sequels they make.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I case anyone's wondering, there is a board game that you can play with Kim that has actual functional mechanics.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Wow! I remember seeing a trailer of this way back when it still had the Furies name.. then I forgot all about it and now it just popped up and it seems amazing! I love the focus on the writing and conversations. What a terrific surprise to be honest! This and the RDR2 PC release have made my gaming fall utterly amazing 🥰 (Now I can live with Doom Eternal being pushed back.. 😅)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I see there is an achievement for getting the armor, does that mean there is a full set to find including pants and helmet? I only have
the boots and gloves so far on day 3, not sure where the other pieces are other than the helmet got kicked into the water.

I thought the centrists pants dialogue was hilarious. Not sure if you get it unless you also learned the Thought in the thought cabinet? I also got a Thought (Precarious World) that says it makes Critical Success/Failure go to a lower threshold - what does that mean? Does it mean it mean there is a higher chance to critically fail but also a higher chance to critically succeed?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Finished the game around 20 hours. I accidentally rushed the end a bit and had more I could have done. I mostly liked the ending.

Ending info:
Not sure I liked how some portions seemed to be artificially blocked off until we did specific things, i.e. the water lock, the island and the actual murderer, the mercenaries, Ruby's hiding spot

Overall, the game was really entertaining. Look forward to any sequels they make.

Wow, 20 hours? I'm on 15 hours and I just started Day 3.

Speaking of which, the start of Day 3 scene at Whirling-in-Rags is absolutely priceless, I was laughing out loud the whole time.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Has the studio behind this game said what they're doing after this game? I'm totally sold on whatever they're doing already.

Ending info:

Wow, 20 hours? I'm on hour 17 and I'm at 23:00 on the second day.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only real complaint about the voice acting is that they clearly did not have a very good audio booth to work in. You can hear a lot of tinniness and echo from characters especially when they get loud.

Cuno is a particularly egregious example. Kid sounds like he is shouting at you through a fan sometimes.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
My only real complaint about the voice acting is that they clearly did not have a very good audio booth to work in. You can hear a lot of tinniness and echo from characters especially when they get loud.

Cuno is a particularly egregious example. Kid sounds like he is shouting at you through a fan sometimes.

I noticed that as well. This dude gets pretty dissonant:

portrait_rene-504x700.png

Mar 29, 2018
I don't feel much cohesion in the voice acting and I don't feel like the direction is 100% there

But it's still impressive, and the game is great

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Just finished this. It was an incredible experience that lives up to the hype in every way. The writing delivered, the game had me laughing, it had me engrossed on the minutiae of hours of conversations. It built a great world that they really set up well for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to seeing more spoiler talk to find out how divergent things actually get. It's difficult to tell how railroaded the last stretch is.

It took me 16 hours and I was pretty thorough, so the 15-20 hour range for the game's length that's been going around is accurate.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished this. It was an incredible experience that lives up to the hype in every way. The writing delivered, the game had me laughing, it had me engrossed on the minutiae of hours of conversations. It built a great world that they really set up well for a sequel.

I'm looking forward to seeing more spoiler talk to find out how divergent things actually get. It's difficult to tell how railroaded the last stretch is.

It took me 16 hours and I was pretty thorough, so the 15-20 hour range for the game's length that's been going around is accurate.
Honestly, this game 100% needs a spoiler thread. I'm sure it'd get plenty of use.

The playtime seems interesting, I think it's probably down to people's reading speed. I'm on 5th day and at 30h with a little save scumming and running around a bunch.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly, this game 100% needs a spoiler thread. I'm sure it'd get plenty of use.

The playtime seems interesting, I think it's probably down to people's reading speed. I'm on 5th day and at 30h with a little save scumming and running around a bunch.
Yeah, that seems like a normal divergence in play time. It's just not a 60 hour game or whatever the devs claimed it was. And I'm glad, the length felt just right and the game feels like it should be fun to replay it.

this game got difficulty settings or anthing
There are no difficulty settings.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between restarting right now because after seeing all the skills in action I really want to run a different build versua finishing it and then restarting. On one hand I don't replay games often so I'm afraid I'll lose interest if I finished the game 1st but on the other I don't want to bail.

I'm just VERY interested in doing a 1-5-5-1 insane empath brute playthrough as a Shivers/Inland focused physical juggernaut.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that seems like a normal divergence in play time. It's just not a 60 hour game or whatever the devs claimed it was. And I'm glad, the length felt just right and the game feels like it should be fun to replay it.
Any guesses how many times you "leveled up"? I think I'm on like 32 at the start of the 5th day.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah I'm actually really glad to hear the length is short-ish. I want to replay this at least once, but that probably wouldn't happen if it was 60 hours long.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not quite done yet but this is a modern classic. What a riveting, hilarious and amazing experience. I admit ever since the announcement way back when I was a bit wary of whether it could deliver on all the comparisons to Planescape, for obvious reasons, but years later and after other failed spiritual successors, this is up there. Heck, it's also kind of the Blade Runner spiritual sequel that no one dared ask for. The idea that we might have a new Bioware/Black Isle with Zaum and Larian almost feels unreal, so hopefully it'll be as much of a success as it deserves to be and we'll see plenty more where this came from.

Putarorex

Sep 16, 2019
I am really enjoying the game, but I am wondering if I should restart from the beginning as I have a 1 Pysche and thus a low Volition, meaning I keep getting game over if there is any blow to morale even though I pumped it up to 9+. I keep rebooting earlier saves and exploring but I can't get past a certain "lost gun" part in the first section of the game. Should I wait another day for another section open up or is there something I am missing?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am really enjoying the game, but I am wondering if I should restart from the beginning as I have a 1 Pysche and thus a low Volition, meaning I keep getting game over if there is any blow to morale even though I pumped it up to 9+. I keep rebooting earlier saves and exploring but I can't get past a certain "lost gun" part in the first section of the game. Should I wait another day for another section open up or is there something I am missing?

Make sure you keep some meds on you to heal any health or morale damage before it kills you.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
You can click the number above your health and morale to use a healing item.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

I could be wrong, but you might be mistaking your morale for the medicine that heals morale? The 9+ should be your number of healing items.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I have a very basic question that I'm going to spoiler tag just in case someone hasn't noticed that you can do this:
How do you all handle the nested multiple-choice options that you can return to and pick a different answer by asking the same lines of questions again? Do you just live with the first one you pick for role-playing purposes, or do you go back and wring out all the dialogue you can? Note that I'm not talking about save-scumming here.

This game is giving me some real Pathologic vibes. Especially after that extended discussion at the pier. You know the one.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Ah that's it! Thanks! I feel stupid now.

No problem. Easy thing to overlook.

I have a very basic question that I'm going to spoiler tag just in case someone hasn't noticed that you can do this:
How do you all handle the nested multiple-choice options that you can return to and pick a different answer by asking the same lines of questions again? Do you just live with the first one you pick for role-playing purposes, or do you go back and wring out all the dialogue you can? Note that I'm not talking about save-scumming here.

This game is giving me some real Pathologic vibes. Especially after that extended discussion at the pier. You know the one.

I do the former and stick to my guns. Roleplaying is my top priority with stuff like that.

Definitely see the Pathologic vibes. I was playing a lot of Pathologic 2 last week and going from that to this has me drawing way more comparisons between them than I had anticipated.

YaBish

Oct 27, 2017
Any interest in starting up a spoiler thread? Or do people think that we shouldn't split the community?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had much time to play the game but I keep thinking about the radio scene early on in the car.

God it had me laughing, but it also had a real pathos to it also.... Like how

after lying that I had my gun, then coming clean, the guy knew I was lying in the first place and just played along. Then asking them for money.... oh my God, just the worst feeling.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm at the end of day one and I only have any half of the money I owe Garte and I can't get into my room. How do I sleep?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Losing my shit at Encyclopedia being completely useless in solving this pop quiz. I love this game.
20191017203902-1.jpg

YaBish

Oct 27, 2017
I think ZA/UM (after prioritizing small bug fixes) *needs* to get this game onto consoles. I think as many people as possible should be able to experience this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.