• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds great.

There's only one last thing stopping me from buying. How long does it take to "complete" this game?

I've read that it's quite short? I know most racing games get their longevity from online but I don't really play online and apparently Dirt 5 is quite dead online anyway.
Sorry, I'm honestly not sure how long it is. It's hard to see in the career mode because you can't scroll past what you've unlocked.

Maybe someone else here has an idea?

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance of this going on sale digitally black Friday or would we know already if that could happen?

Anshelm

Oct 28, 2017
For Sprint races turn off traction control because it slows you down way too much. After doing that they are much easier.

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Has Multiplayer been patched yet with private lobbies and an increase in party size, can't belive that wasn't in there day one

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Day one buyer of every dirt game made yet and I absolutely love this one. There is no series I look forward to more than the Dirt/Dirt Rally series and this one in particular gives me Dirt + Motorstorm vibes with some arcade madness, which is awesome as a break after Rally and Rally 2.0 being 2 of the last 3 releases..

Made next gen so exciting this time having such a highly anticipated game at launch.

I'm sure that's a minority opinion, but Codemasters imo does great work and has made me very happy over the years from Dirt 1 all the way through to this one.
I've been waiting for a sale but this post made me want to drop $60

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance of this going on sale digitally black Friday or would we know already if that could happen?

Maybe not Black Friday but probably very soon. Codemasters always heavily discount their games within a month of release, so as good as this game may be I don't see the point in buying any of their games full price anymore when they do this.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
As much as I really want this I'm gonna wait for a sale too.

By all accounts it's not sold well so I'm sure it'll go on sale sooner rather than later and I'll be gutted if I buy it and it goes on sale a week later.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I've got the physical version and just about to jump in, after spiderman. Is another patch due soon? I heard the Dualsense trigger stuff was being worked on so id rather wait to play the patched version, if it's coming soon.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I'm honestly not sure how long it is. It's hard to see in the career mode because you can't scroll past what you've unlocked.

Maybe someone else here has an idea?

Between 10-15 hours to 3 Stamp all Events on normal difficulty for me. (20 hours for the platinum trophy more or less). It all depends on how much you care about getting all 1st place finishes, of course. You could fly through the career in about 5-6 hours if you just want to get to the end. You can also set the difficulty to Easy in the options to make it even shorter.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just wanted to say that I adore the games sound design on PS5. There's an in game 3d audio toggle that is separate from the audio type (head phones, home theater, etc.) and it really works great on both my atnos sound system and my Sony golds. Probably my favorite part of the sound design is when you are near speakers set up around the track and you can suddenly hear the music louder and then quieter while totally getting the positional audio of where the trackside speakers are. Its really impressive how all these audio sources feel independent from each other which really helps the world feel alive. I also could have sworn that this game used my atmos speakers during one event where a plane flew overhead. Maybe the impressive 3d audio fooled me, but dammed if it didn't sound good either way.

Last edited:

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got my PS5 copy. I'm only 4 races in but I love it so far, it handles exactly as I want an arcade racer to handle.
It looks great too! I feel bad for the shit they were getting for the visuals pre release.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my PS5 copy. I'm only 4 races in but I love it so far, it handles exactly as I want an arcade racer to handle.
It looks great too! I feel bad for the shit they were getting for the visuals pre release.
Agree. I have not played a lot because I am waiting on the next patch, but it looks really great. And you know the reason the game got a lot of shit is because it was the first gameplay on Series X and you had all the fanboy's taking pot shots at the game....even someone called it a Mobile Game. The game looks pretty incredible with some amazing lighting and the arcade driving mechanics are fantastic.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I know you can re-roll them, but having "stay in 1st for 100 seconds" challenge on races that are almost exclusively quick, 3 lap events or X-seconds airborne on flat tracks makes it feel like this stuff was barely thought through.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Any PS5 folks experiencing crashes at all? I've had maybe 10 just from playing today. Progress has been fine, I haven't had my stuff wiped thankfully, but I have had to do a couple of races all over again.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Here's my 1st place race on one of them if it's any help to you. Stay Left at all times is my advice.

I think my issue with these particular kinds of sprints is that I genuinely don't know what I'm meant to be doing on corners. Tapping accelerate? Drifting into accelerate? Barely pressing it? I end up overshooting and then having to correct every time.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I think my issue with these particular kinds of sprints is that I genuinely don't know what I'm meant to be doing on corners. Tapping accelerate? Drifting into accelerate? Barely pressing it? I end up overshooting and then having to correct every time.

I definitely tapped the accelerator and never drifted (on purpose). Just eased off coming into the bends and tapped to keep a constant speed around it without drifting towards the outside where the AI are.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely tapped the accelerator and never drifted (on purpose). Just eased off coming into the bends and tapped to keep a constant speed around it without drifting towards the outside where the AI are.

Thanks, I'll give this a try next time I'm on.

Is anybody else experiencing frequent crashes on PS5?

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
PS5 players - confirming here that included in Update 2.00 will be a fix that resolves the issue stopping certain Trophies from triggering for you slight_smile

Trophies you should've unlocked during this time will unlock retroactively following the update being installed. Once you complete one event, in any game mode, we expect the back-logged Trophies to trigger. If you experience any further issues after completing an event, feel free to get in touch with us, either on here or by using #dirt5-bug-report-form. Thank you!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Something changed since my last session, and VRR is now broken, and I have screen tearing. I'm incredibly frustrated with this game, which is fighting my vibe at every turn. AI feels suddenly/arbitrarily worse, too, and I don't understand what's going on.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the PS4 version this morning, since it has the PS5 upgrade! Cant wait to check out the playground stuff. Been years since I played a racing game lol.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, the AI in this feels SUPER rubberbandy :(
Maybe it's because I just played through Hotshot Racing recently which has nearly unbearable rubberbanding, but I honestly haven't noticed it much in Dirt 5.
Thanks, I'll give this a try next time I'm on.

Is anybody else experiencing frequent crashes on PS5?
I sure am! Every night I play, I have the game crash right when a race finishes. It's a huge bummer because everything else about this game is really fantastic.

Like, for real, I know there is at least one Dirt dev in here... this game really nails the driving, visuals, and music for me. It's exactly what I've been wanting out of a racing game for so long. So thank you! I hope the game does well.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Can you guys talk me out of buying Grid 2019 instead of this? I just want a fun non-open world arcade racer for my Xbox. This looks more fun than Grid, and it even has split screen - but Grid is pretty heavily discounted right now and I enjoyed the demo :x

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Can you guys talk me out of buying Grid 2019 instead of this? I just want a fun non-open world arcade racer for my Xbox. This looks more fun than Grid, and it even has split screen - but Grid is pretty heavily discounted right now and I enjoyed the demo :x

dirt 5 is several times better than grid 2019 which was very disappointing.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's because I just played through Hotshot Racing recently which has nearly unbearable rubberbanding, but I honestly haven't noticed it much in Dirt 5.

I haven't noticed that much, either. One thing I will say, though, is that the AI are like trains on rails, so much so that you can use them to cheat your way around bends. Just smash right into the side of them while drifting towards a bend without slowing down and they barely budge. Like, you could literally be T-boning an AI racer and you won't move them. Meanwhile, you get thrown around like a ragdoll when they so much as scrape against you.

Last game I remember being able to cheat bends like this in was Top Gear Rally on the N64. lol You could slingshot your way around bends in that by sticking to the outer barrier at top speed like a space shuttle being flung around the moon's orbit.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So I have a series X and a 1080p TV. Which mode is best to play on? Obvs can't take advantage of 4K and 120 FPS in resolution and frame rate mode, but I saw a few days ago image quality mode is bugged on series X atm?

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Yo, the AI in this feels SUPER rubberbandy :(

Can't say I've noticed that too much. I've won tracks by 4+ second margins numerous times. What I would say is that a number of cars you're racing (in the first 2 series series/sections at least) seem to have significantly better acceleration or top speed so if you mess up a final bend, they eat up the gap really quickly on some tracks final straights.

What I want to know is how to get through the Sprint events. Have all but 3 races in the first 23 events but on the Sprint one I haven't gotten anywhere close.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I enjoyed Grid 2019 more than most I think. It's biggest knock is the track variety is a bit lacking, so expect many events to be repeated on similar course variants with different conditions. I did enjoy a lot of the tracks though, but it was one of the biggest issues for many.

Didnt play on a controller, as its wheel support was real good, which helped elevate it a bit for me. Had native support for features that many games don't, like pedal vibration. It's aggressive as hell with its FFB, which was a fun novelty for this arcade/sim-lite game.

Looks very nice, has lots of events, a good selection of unique classes to compete with. I pop it in now and again for a palette cleanser just to do an event or few. It balances arcade thrills with sim logic in a way some despise, but again I still play it now and again and have a decent time with it.

Im still waiting for wheel support on Dirt 5, which has kept me from playing much of it.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Any PS5 folks experiencing crashes at all? I've had maybe 10 just from playing today. Progress has been fine, I haven't had my stuff wiped thankfully, but I have had to do a couple of races all over again.
Yes it crashes constantly for me, always at the end of an event when looking at the finishing positions. It's the same for me in that it's just a normal smooth game crash but it does mean I have to play the event again.

It's a shame since I'm loving the game, but I've put it down until this is fixed, having to do every 4 or 5 events in the career again after already winning isn't fun. Its definitely the game's fault as well, I haven't had a single crash in any other game on my ps5 yet.

I think very hard AI and no assists is the way to play this game, they are a bit rubber-bandy but it's not too bad, I've seen much worse.

As for sprint races, I'm not sure if very hard and no assists is the trick or something like that but I had no trouble, I've done two of them in career and won one first try and the other with only three or four attempts. Once you get into first it's easy to pull away, the AI are pretty bad.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
any tips on ice races? I realise I'm going to get nowhere on sprints and thats fine - they're horrible. But ice racing feels like I should be able to at least do 'ok' but I'm getting nowhere - 4th-5th max.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Like, for real, I know there is at least one Dirt dev in here... this game really nails the driving, visuals, and music for me. It's exactly what I've been wanting out of a racing game for so long. So thank you! I hope the game does well.

For sure, despite my grievances with a couple of the Sprint Races and the crashing, I actually think it's a a damn good racer and I'm having a mostly great time with it. I too hope it does well for them, it just needs patching, which I'm sure they're aware of.

Its definitely the game's fault as well, I haven't had a single crash in any other game on my ps5 yet.

That's quite reassuring in a way, as at least I now know it's not my PS5 that is at issue. Only other game I've played is Demon's and that hasn't crashed once, but I'm then I'm only quite early in that.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
any tips on ice races? I realise I'm going to get nowhere on sprints and thats fine - they're horrible. But ice racing feels like I should be able to at least do 'ok' but I'm getting nowhere - 4th-5th max.
Definitely use an all wheel drive car for ice races, that makes them a lot easier. Then you've just got to try and take smooth wider lines, keep up as much speed as possible since acceleration is hard. Overtaking the AI on the inside tends to be the way to go I think.

May 24, 2019
okay great, thank you! I was under the impression that was the bugged mode but sounds like I was mistaken. Cheers :)

I'd disagree with that poster. Pretty sure Resolution is the most stable 60fps mode. It has some settings turned down compared to the other one.
edit: Resolution there doesn't really mean it's more suited for UHD screens. They both target 4k.

For Sprint races turn off traction control because it slows you down way too much. After doing that they are much easier.
No wonder turning on all assists didn't help me 😂

Last edited:

Anshelm

Oct 28, 2017

Have you tried turning off traction control? I had trouble with Sprint and Ice events when I had tc on. Turned it off and it was much easier.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Grid 2019, in my opinion, is not a good game. This is regardless of any thoughts on Dirt 5. My biggest purchase regret of 2019.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Mine crashes literally every fourth or fifth race. The worst part is it always does at the end right before you get credit for finishing so you have to do it again.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I've had a lot of crashes on the PS5 version, 3 today in about 2 hours play, all at the end of the race, 2 were back to PS home menu with report error screens and the other the game just didn't load the podium and wouldn't progress. I have 6 PS5 games and have played some PS4 titles on it too and this is the only game to crash on me, let alone repeatedly.

Also any tips on driving the Jupiter Hawk Sprint race? The dam thing always wants to steer left but if you hit the wall on the right it sticks to it like glue and won't steer left at all! Really struggling with just this one event in the first 35 or so. Also it's a minor nuisance that if you hit restart at the podium presentation it doesn't save your race rewards/earnings, instead you have to come out to the event selection screen and reload again. Assuming the game hasn't crashed!

edit: seems that XP does add after a quick restart. I swear it didn't when I paid attention earlier but maybe that might have been a glitch, wouldn't be surprising seeing as I had 4 crashes by the end of my morning play through.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I've heard negative reactions from people very generally, but I played a good chunk of the career via Stadia, and had fun with it. I think part of that was bolstered by the novelty of how I was playing it, but for the sale price they have on the normal edition, I don't think you can go wrong.

Fenzer

Nov 6, 2017
On PS5, anyone noticing that the strongest vibrations are only located on the left side of the DualSense ? It's a bit disturbing

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I'd disagree with that poster. Pretty sure Resolution is the most stable 60fps mode. It has some settings turned down compared to the other one.
edit: Resolution there doesn't really mean it's more suited for UHD screens. They both target 4k.
I only recommended IQ mode because you get better graphics in that mode and I had assumed the FR was roughly comparable for both modes. Does it really drop more on IQ mode? I still prefer the extra bells and whistles anyway, but horses for courses, it's good to have choices.

Oct 25, 2017
My game crashed like 4 times today. The last time corrupted my save and lost a lot of progress. I think I'm taking a break from the game

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Dirt 4 is on Gamepass. Having never played the franchise, should I try that out before buying this or are they super different?