• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I have not heard about any of these issues from people who played the game, and I don't recall DF having any of these issues in their videos either. Not saying these issues don't exist, just that this is the first time i'm heard about it.
It's true, it's bad. Just check the OT and social media. DF tested the day one patch AKA when the game ran at its best.
DF didn't test the 0.003&0.004 patches , both broke the game and added added V-Sync causing major frame drops, like chugging through a corner with no cars in front but dropping from 60fps to 15 for a second, just enough to make you crash.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this game is getting nice support to iron out all imperfections. It will be one of my first next gen game I'll try when I get a Series X

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Look at the fucking chaos the slight PS5 advantages caused around here. I'm sick and tired of it.
I can understand that you are sick and tired of it. But I still don't want parity, because everyone should get the best possible version for the console they own. That's my stance and imo parity doesn't stop fanboys as the internet has shown. They'll find the smallest dip and make a screenshot of it. They'll find a bug and make a screenshot of it.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I can understand that you are sick and tired of it. But I still don't want parity, because everyone should get the best possible version for the console they own. That's my stance and imo parity doesn't stop fanboys as the internet has shown. They'll find the smallest dip and make a screenshot of it. They'll find a bug and make a screenshot of it.
But you are advocating for there to be differences? Clearly, as some devs and journalists have been saying, the PS5 and the Series X are as close as can be. These consoles will never stray far from eachother.

Some have indicated the PS5 advantages we are seeing now will go on for years to come. So, obviously, I want them to be as close as can be, since they can be!

The less ammunition fanboys get, the better. But that's my stance.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I am shocked too. /SNo, no and No. Parity means the consoles don't get used properly. The versions will always be close, because the consoles are close. But parity is bullshit. Use PS5 and Xbox Series X as best as you can please and make use of the customization in both consoles.
Parity doesn't always mean one console is being held back. What if one console is able to achieve 4K at steady 75 frames and the other can achieve 4K at 65 frames. Both games would get locked to 4K60. There would be parity and that would be absolutely fine because leaving the framerate unlocked would be a downgrade in most cases.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Parity doesn't always mean one console is being held back. What if one console is able to achieve 4K at steady 75 frames and the other can achieve 4K at 65 frames. Both games would get locked to 4K60. There would be parity and that would be absolutely fine because leaving the framerate unlocked would be a downgrade in most cases.
Then you could do other things with the headroom. I dislike the concept of parity in general and just to give a example*, what would you guys think when a game on switch loads in 50 seconds and then loads on next gen consoles in 50 seconds? Parity isn't the best thing that can happen. Parity is bullshit.

* I used loading to show how silly demanding parity actually is. Same goes for performance, graphics, controller features, ... .
But you are advocating for there to be differences?
I am advocating for developers, regardless of plattform to try their best and take advantage of the customization, specs, ... . Sure, not every developer will, due to funds, talent or time and that's fine. But the goal should be to try your best and to take advantage of the customization of the Switch, Series S|X and PS5. I mentioned current gen consoles here, but really I want every platform to be taken advantage of.

Don't get me wrong, I know PS5 and Series X are very close. That's good. But I still want developers to use the hardware to the best of their ability. I don't think that's to much to ask.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I checked (according to NXGamer video), the XSX was mosting using XSS settings (low poly, low res textures, short draw distance etc.) in the 120hz mode while PS5 was using the quality settings (60hz) in the same mode with simply a reduced resolution.

How can it be a bug?

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Then you could do other things with the headroom. I dislike the concept of parity in general and just to give a example*, what would you guys think when a game on switch loads in 50 seconds and then loads on next gen consoles in 50 seconds? Parity isn't the best thing that can happen. Parity is bullshit.

* I used loading to show how silly demanding parity actually is. Same goes for performance, graphics, controller features, ... .
I am advocating for developers, regardless of plattform to try their best and take advantage of the customization, specs, ... . Sure, not every developer will, due to funds, talent or time and that's fine. But the goal should be to try your best and to take advantage of the customization of the Switch, Series S|X and PS5. I mentioned current gen consoles here, but really I want every platform to be taken advantage of.

Don't get me wrong, I know PS5 and Series X are very close. That's good. But I still want developers to use the hardware to the best of their ability. I don't think that's to much to ask.

That's not how it works, though. Sure they can add more foliage until the 75 fps is only 60 fps because there's more stuff on screen but then there might be cases where you'd get dips below 60. Aiming for something like that is only achievable with first party budgets and then there is no parity anyways...
Your Switch loading example is dumb, too. They'd have to actively add a wait timer on next gen systems for them to load for 50 seconds. Parity in this case doesn't mean actively hindering the stronger system like in your example. It means there's a point when both versions run good enough for them to not waste more time and money to gain another 0.5% performance or visual quality in one version that only DF will notice...

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I checked (according to NXGamer video), the XSX was mosting using XSS settings (low poly, low res textures, short draw distance etc.) in the 120hz mode while PS5 was using the quality settings (60hz) in the same mode with simply a reduced resolution.

How can it be a bug?

wrong settings were chosen for the specified platform..

that sounds like a bug to me - how would you describe it? It was not intentional

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

How can it be a bug?
I mean, because it wasn't supposed to. That seems obvious now.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

How can it be a bug?

I can't tell if you're making a joke or not, but I'll just assume not: The thing you described was the bug, which has now been patched. The bug was that the wrong LoDs were being used for the 120hz mode.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Very rarely do things in gaming actually upset me, but the fact that the fact the PS5 version was destroyed for non-120hz tv owners and is flying completely under the radar while people like DF congratulate the tech director is extremely frustrating.

They released a working product on day 1, DF tested it and said "hey it runs fantastic", then a week or so later they patched the PS5 version and made it run like shit, constantly dropping to 15fps slideshow, almost in a bug-like way of dropping at random times when nothing visually intensive is going on, and everyone is still running under the day 1 DF analysis that the PS5 version runs great!

I wonder if Codemasters is even aware their PS5 version is broken, since no one seems to call them on it. I don't have twitter or I'd tweet the technical director about this. All Codemasters has been talking about for weeks is improving the framerate on Xbox.

I tried playing it for about 30 mins last night on a 60hz tv and almost every race dropped from 60fps to slideshow 10-20fps constantly and just chugged and struggled. It was too much and I deleted the game after the session and I'm not touching it again until I get a 120hz TV someday since supposedly the 120hz PS5 mode runs fine.

I feel like this is straight out deceitful. If someone was looking into getting the PS5 version and didn't own a 120hz TV, their searches would show nothing but the game running fantastic 60fps. Then they buy the game and it runs as bad as Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles. The media should have been in Codemasters face for the last month about the technical disaster that the PS5 version is, but no one is calling them on it and it's just upsetting.

I've never refunded a game, but if I could I wish I could refund the PS5 digital version at this point. It's literally broken. Either that or my PS5 is broken, but every other game runs fine, and plenty of people in the main thread on PS5 are experiencing the same framerate issues.

They also haven't fixed their tonemapping SDR issues for people without an HDR TV which makes the game too dark and some night races near impossible because you can't see.

It's basically like if you have a fancy 120hz tv with HDR the PS5 version of Dirt 5 is great, and that must be what Codemasters and DF and everyone are playing it on, because if you have a 60hz SDR older tv the game is broken and unplayable. Worst game of the PS5 launch imo.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Very rarely do things in gaming actually upset me, but the fact that the fact the PS5 version was destroyed for non-120hz tv owners and is flying completely under the radar while people like DF congratulate the tech director is extremely frustrating.

They released a working product on day 1, DF tested it and said "hey it runs fantastic", then a week or so later they patched the PS5 version and made it run like shit, constantly dropping to 15fps slideshow, almost in a bug-like way of dropping at random times when nothing visually intensive is going on, and everyone is still running under the day 1 DF analysis that the PS5 version runs great!

I wonder if Codemasters is even aware their PS5 version is broken, since no one seems to call them on it. I don't have twitter or I'd tweet the technical director about this. All Codemasters has been talking about for weeks is improving the framerate on Xbox.

I tried playing it for about 30 mins last night on a 60hz tv and almost every race dropped from 60fps to slideshow 10-20fps constantly and just chugged and struggled. It was too much and I deleted the game after the session and I'm not touching it again until I get a 120hz TV someday since supposedly the 120hz PS5 mode runs fine.

I feel like this is straight out deceitful. If someone was looking into getting the PS5 version and didn't own a 120hz TV, their searches would show nothing but the game running fantastic 60fps. Then they buy the game and it runs as bad as Cyberpunk on last-gen consoles. The media should have been in Codemasters face for the last month about the technical disaster that the PS5 version is, but no one is calling them on it and it's just upsetting.

I've never refunded a game, but if I could I wish I could refund the PS5 digital version at this point. It's literally broken. Either that or my PS5 is broken, but every other game runs fine, and plenty of people in the main thread on PS5 are experiencing the same framerate issues.

They also haven't fixed their tonemapping SDR issues for people without an HDR TV which makes the game too dark and some night races near impossible because you can't see.

It's basically like if you have a fancy 120hz tv with HDR the PS5 version of Dirt 5 is great, and that must be what Codemasters and DF and everyone are playing it on, because if you have a 60hz SDR older tv the game is broken and unplayable. Worst game of the PS5 launch imo.

I wrote to Dirt's technical director about the PS5's frame rate. Further I tweeted to Digital Foundry to check the PS5 frame rate. I think patch 2.0 made it worse however I wouldn't say it unplayable. I have been playing on a C9 with prioritize image quality. Whats really odd is some tracks that have a ton of effects can run smoothly and the next track can be sparse and run poorly. Its all over the place. The PS5 needs VRR but its no excuse for the bad performance.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little late for this update, but it's cool that most (all?) of the visual bugs I ran into look to have been addressed, based on the last couple sets of patch notes. My entire play-time across both Series S and Series X (about 50/50 between the Target Resolution vs. 120hz modes) was stable, so I'm appreciative of that even before these new improvements. I had uninstalled when I finished up and heard there was a new issue for people who completed all career events, but that is supposed to be resolved already.

3QsxUp0.jpg

9P0GRDG.png
How did you do the Gymkhana achievement?

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Has anyone noticed a change in the speed of the AI with this patch? I normally play on Hard, and on the last patch usually had pretty close races, but with the new patch I'm blowing the AI out by 10+ seconds in most races. At the same time, I can't seem to keep up with the leading cars on Very Hard, so I'm kind of stuck in no man's land.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
How did you do the Gymkhana achievement?

It's easier on some layouts than others, but if you spend the first chunk of the run knocking over a good number of those pink score multiplier blocks, then just focus on reps on one of the purple spin areas, you can basically get by holding down the gas and steering to the left.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Damn, was the vehicle level of detail thing limited to only the Aston Martin or was it everything? I'm still in the early hours on XSX but I might come back to it soon.
It was on everything, but not necessarily obvious on everything. Like I noticed a Skoda that had an octagonal badge instead of a circular one, for example.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada

THIS, so much. I called them out on Twitter. Some people liked the comment but noone replied and the Dirt 5 Twitter just ignored it while replying to others.

The game is really fun but since the first post launch update (adding V-Sync), I stopped playing because , since then, it runs like shit.
I'm thinking about playing the PS4 version of the game in BC to maybe get a steady 60fps.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm maybe I gave up on the Xbox version too early. Bought it at launch mostly based off of the DF video. Sold it within a few hours of initial playtime because it looked no better than a last gen game, I had audio bugs, and it just seemed unbalanced at times.

This was definitely one of my biggest disappointments of the past few years. The resolution, or is it geometry, looked very low quality in 120 Hz mode. It's hard enough to play any racing game after Forza horizon 4, but this just didn't cut it in the visuals department at all.

Love DF but not sure why they made a video with glowing praise for this when there are better technical marvels out there to demo new console technology.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's easier one some layouts than others, but if you spend the first chunk of the run knocking over a good number of those pink score multiplier blocks, then just focus on reps on one of the purple spin areas, you can basically get by holding down the gas and steering to the left.
Thanks!

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
With the sale price going again, I'm once again tempted to grab this on my Series X.

Anshelm

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a little late for this update, but it's cool that most (all?) of the visual bugs I ran into look to have been addressed, based on the last couple sets of patch notes. My entire play-time across both Series S and Series X (about 50/50 between the Target Resolution vs. 120hz modes) was stable, so I'm appreciative of that even before these new improvements. I had uninstalled when I finished up and heard there was a new issue for people who completed all career events, but that is supposed to be resolved already.

3QsxUp0.jpg

9P0GRDG.png

How long it took you to get 1000 miles achievement?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update: https://dirtgame.com/dirt5/news/dirt-5-patch-notes

John seems pleased:

Technical Director for Dirt 5 makes it sound like they worked to give this out before Christmas:

Amazing stuff by DF, they not only analyse discrepancies, they also send their data to Devs to give them a heads up. They help improve games by working with them, complete opposite of 'gotcha culture' by a number of other toxic YouTube outlets. Love these guys, thank you John, Rich, Alex and Tom!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
How long it took you to get 1000 miles achievement?

I won't lie, that was kind of the worst one, and it just involved doing a lot of laps in arcade mode on tracks/conditions that were slightly more interesting for me. I don't think I could pin a specific amount of time on it (it was definitely a number of hours), but you can spitball it by looking at the track layout length (x) number of laps you feel like doing, and chunk it out that way. If you haven't already done all the career events, it's a good excuse to go back to those.

Anshelm

Oct 28, 2017
I won't lie, that was kind of the worst one, and it just involved doing a lot of laps in arcade mode on tracks/conditions that were slightly more interesting for me. I don't think I could pin a specific amount of time on it (it was definitely a number of hours), but you can spitball it by looking at the track layout length (x) number of laps you feel like doing, and chunk it out that way. If you haven't already done all the career events, it's a good excuse to go back to those.

Thanks! Yeah thats the last trophy for me so gotta do multiplayer races+Time trial. Glad they reduced it from 10 000 miles :D

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
How so? I was thinking of picking this up soon.

As i said, you don´t see the car in the post race celebration screen and there is no button prompt to progress forther so you have to start the game again.

I have not heard about any of these issues from people who played the game, and I don't recall DF having any of these issues in their videos either. Not saying these issues don't exist, just that this is the first time i'm heard about it.

the game had enough issues for my taste and the framerate issues are plaguing the game since they got rid of the screen tearing.

Wasn't the save file corruption bug fixed? My game no longer crashes to the ps5 menu at the end of a race either, which was frequent before 2.0. I've still had the game crash a couple times in the past few days but it was when I was in the menu, so nothing was really lost.

The framerate issues are definitely real, but I'm fine if they're temporary.

I've been having a fantastic time with this game these past few days regardless. For anyone on the fence, this is easily my favourite arcade racer in years. While not bug free, it's clear the dev team is working on it.

ah, ok, my bad, didn´t know they fixed the savefile corruption bug.

don´t get me wrong, fun game, but could be definitely better on the technical side.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
As i said, you don´t see the car in the post race celebration screen and there is no button prompt to progress forther so you have to start the game again.

the game had enough issues for my taste and the framerate issues are plaguing the game since they got rid of the screen tearing.

this is the latest from their discord.
seems at least they are aware whats messed up
but yeah, don't expect anything till january i guess.

Current topics that we've already started looking into include certain PS5 Trophies not triggering for some players, notably around Throwdowns, Gymkhana points and total mileage. On PS5 we've also noted the reports of some stutters or frame drops during gameplay – this is logged and will be investigated.

We've noted a few reports of players on PS5 experiencing a soft lock crash at the end of events, with the car not appearing on the podium. Whilst we look into this, a workaround for players is to press the PS button on their controller and select any Activity/Trophy, that redirects them to a different area of the game. Using this workaround means no reboot is required and no progress is lost.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

How can it be a bug?
Devs confirmed this was a bug iirc.
That's not how it works, though. Sure they can add more foliage until the 75 fps is only 60 fps because there's more stuff on screen but then there might be cases where you'd get dips below 60. Aiming for something like that is only achievable with first party budgets and then there is no parity anyways...
I disagree. You could easily add dynamic resolution in your example and then not achieve parity. What I want is developers using the unique hardware capabilities of the console and most of them actually do imo. Not to the absolute limit of the console, as this needs studios like ND, TC, ... mind you, but good enough that it shows effort and dedication.
Your Switch loading example is dumb, too. They'd have to actively add a wait timer on next gen systems for them to load for 50 seconds. Parity in this case doesn't mean actively hindering the stronger system like in your example. It means there's a point when both versions run good enough for them to not waste more time and money to gain another 0.5% performance or visual quality in one version that only DF will notice...
I used the switch to make a exaggerated example and used loading to show how dumb parity is. I think parity is bad as a goal and of course with parity you are holding back a system. In the case of PS5 and Xbox Series X not by much, because while each console has benefits, ultimately they are very close. But still if you go for loading, resolution, ray tracing, framerate, ... parity, then by definition you are hindering one system. Which system you hinder will differ depending on the tasks.

For me it's a philosophy thing really, because I want each consoles to be pushed. Don't get me wrong, I won't get angry when parity is achieved. Happens for various reasons (budget, talent, time, ...), but I want developers to do their best with each version and for that they need to (try) use the unique customization and so on. Basically I don't want them to do the minimum as their goal and get away with it..

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
I cant access career mode on the series x 😂

there is also a hotfix for that,
currently out on ps and pc, apparently coming to xbox in jan.

A hotfix (2.00.1) has also gone live on PC and PS5/4 to address the issue some players had accessing Career mode. On PC, this also added further visual improvements for Nvidia GPUs. This hotfix is also set to come to Xbox, likely (but confirmed) in January.

safe to say whole thing is a mess

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I guess this was expected. But will wait for the DF video with performance and updated settings compared.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Devs confirmed this was a bug iirc.
I disagree. You could easily add dynamic resolution in your example and then not achieve parity. What I want is developers using the unique hardware capabilities of the console and most of them actually do imo. Not to the absolute limit of the console, as this needs studios like ND, TC, ... mind you, but good enough that it shows effort and dedication.
I used the switch to make a exaggerated example and used loading to show how dumb parity is. I think parity is bad as a goal and of course with parity you are holding back a system. In the case of PS5 and Xbox Series X not by much, because while each console has benefits, ultimately they are very close. But still if you go for loading, resolution, ray tracing, framerate, ... parity, then by definition you are hindering one system. Which system you hinder will differ depending on the tasks.

For me it's a philosophy thing really, because I want each consoles to be pushed. Don't get me wrong, I won't get angry when parity is achieved. Happens for various reasons (budget, talent, time, ...), but I want developers to do their best with each version and for that they need to (try) use the unique customization and so on. Basically I don't want them to do the minimum as their goal and get away with it..
I think you are taking this way too literally. Nobody is asking for exact parity in every single detail where one system is actively held back. They don't have to artificially extend the load time on the PS5 to achieve literal parity with the XSX if it takes a second longer to load.
Again, your argument doesn't even apply to my example. My example was about native resolution without the need for dynamic resolution. One system could potentially achieve more than 4K60 but not in a way where it would actually matter in a real world scenario where 4k TVs are the max for resolutions and capped 60 fps are better than 70 if one console could achieve that. That would mean parity without artificially holding one console back.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there is also a hotfix for that,
currently out on ps and pc, apparently coming to xbox in jan.

safe to say whole thing is a mess
So basically the game is unplayable for me until further notice. Thats great.
Every single time I click on career mode the game just freez and crashes me back to the device menu.
It was fine before the update. And I cant roll back to that as I bought it digitally...