• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
So the bug is likely never to be patched on One X/Series X?

Given this was pointed out by DF I hope that's not the case but would be pretty annoying if left that way.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Is VRR available in BC titles? Would have been nice to hear how that could have helped smooth out that area of game.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
What's the likelihood this becomes accessible for free on GP with EA Play, etc?
I could swear its already on Game Pass ?

Is VRR available in BC titles? Would have been nice to hear how that could have helped smooth out that area of game.

Yes, VRR is available on Xbox on a system level.

In the video John mentions he was playing using a VRR display which doesn't help with the game, which is weird.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

VRR works in BC titles (it's a system level feature, and was already available officially on Xbox One), but the drops on those curves in the coast area are low enough that many VRR displays wouldn't be able to address them.

Oct 27, 2017
Console war comments in this thread continue to embarrass Resetera.

It's fascinating to see bugs or unexpected issues that come up when running existing console code on more powerful systems. This bug was always hiding in the Xbox One X version of the game but we never saw it because it was capped at 30fps in 4k.

The moment when the One X version drops below the PS4pro is something else.

I hope it gets patched, I've always wanted to play this game but I keep putting it off. The praise for it at the start of the video got me itching to play some Burnout.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice. Think I'll get this. Love me some arcade racers.

PS5 still defying the odds. This is totally unexpected from me. Series X does BC so good, I did not see this coming.

Also, I think DF said that fps drop was repeatable on other tracks for the XBox consoles. Its something about the corners.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Even with those weird dips on the Xbox version, I just purchased it on the Xbox one to play on my Serie X for $18. Just prefer the Xbox controller for racing games over the PS5...

Oct 27, 2017
The console I like has a(n) [ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE] so that clearly means [IT IS THE SUPERIOR CONSOLE/IT IS A ONE-OFF ISSUE].

Discourse.
Honestly this always ends up being like half the discourse and it's super annoying. The other half of the discussion (and most of the content in the analysis videos) is focused on how well the devs optimized a game or how they decided to make subtle cuts in order to keep the experience smooth and appealing on each platform. Probably why my favorite videos are ones where they look at an outlier hardware like the Switch ports of the Doom games. In those cases, no one cares that it looks better or worse, everyone is just amazed at how well the devs adapt to a completely different hardware spec.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Console war comments in this thread continue to embarrass Resetera.

It's fascinating to see bugs or unexpected issues that come up when running existing console code on more powerful systems. This bug was always hiding in the Xbox One X version of the game but we never saw it because it was capped at 30fps in 4k.

The moment when the One X version drops below the PS4pro is something else.

I hope it gets patched, I've always wanted to play this game but I keep putting it off. The praise for it at the start of the video got me itching to play some Burnout.
It's not. One X always has some lead even at its worse. Which is why the results are surprising here as XSX should be able to brute force the difficult scenes compared to XBX.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what people are saying here about EAs efforts with this game does it seem likely?
I think this is a case where it's not possible to confidently use highly probabilistic language. EA did enough to patch this game, the patch did more than just add in a performance mode and has additional changes and improvements across all consoles. It's possible that this marks the end of support for the game, but I don't think there's any particular reason to think that was highly likely.

It's not. One X always has some lead even at its worse. Which is why the results are surprising here as XSX should be able to brute force the difficult scenes compared to XBX.
The Xbox One X usually has some lead even at its worst.

Usually, but definitely not always:

WTt17nq.png

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm digging this on Switch, I should double dip on PS5 with this update.

Oct 27, 2017

This quote below demonstrates what I was referring to.

The Xbox One X usually has some lead even at its worst.

Usually, but definitely not always:

WTt17nq.png

The One X outperforms the PS4pro in most scenarios but when they hit that corner the framerate drops below PS4pro but never hits less than 30fps.

So before this latest patch that unlocks the framerate at 4k, there was no way to see the bug on Xbox One X.

Hope they fix it and hope they unlock 60fps on Series S.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they couldn't even give any love to Series S I highly doubt they'll fix the frame rate issues it has now

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this have any improvement over the OG pc version? I have the og on pc and might have just bought the ps4 version to play on ps5 for nothing. The video didn't discuss if this is an improvement over the og on pc.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Does this have any improvement over the OG pc version? I have the og on pc and might have just bought the ps4 version to play on ps5 for nothing. The video didn't discuss if this is an improvement over the og on pc.
The game has crossplay with the console versions and has the DLC included, which wasn't released for PC. The patch also added a livery editor for racer vehicles.
Graphically I'm not sure. Playing the maximum setting version on Series X it definitely looks better, but it's been a while since I last played the PC release.

Oct 27, 2017

I remember when it came out some people were showing comparisons where the PC version had higher resolution textures in many places, and the foliage was better. Not sure if that is still the case after this patch.

Personally I think it's close enough that if you have the PC version there's no pressing need to upgrade. Though I have it on PC and bought it, so I went against my own advice.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This was a PS3 game originally right? Doesn't bode well for the new Xbox, but it's certainly just bad programming or tools issues.
Yep it's 99,9% a software bug, because in this corner the Series X is performing worse than PS4 Pro. Nobody in here can tell me that's a hardware issue.
Could it potentially be that the Series S is the bottle neck for the Series X due to the weaker hardware of the former?
No.
Not if it's a bug, which this definitely seems to be.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I liked playing it at 1080/60 on a ps5, but let me tell you this one REALLY improves at 4k/60. You get longer time to react when you can SEE cars incoming from 2miles away. Load times could be better tho.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
As far as I can tell, there are only two console war posts in this entire thread. The vast majority of the thread is then responding to those two posts or complaining about the two posts and blaming it on Era.

Maybe just ignore the tiny amount of console war posts next time?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yep it's 99,9% a software bug, because in this corner the Series X is performing worse than PS4 Pro. Nobody in here can tell me that's a hardware issue.
No.
Not if it's a bug, which this definitely seems to be.
It could be that... orrrrr the Switch is as powerful as the PS4 regular and Xbox Series S. Since this is clearly the best game to judge such things.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it's just the one spot is very interesting. Also means that the game is pretty much fine on XSX, I think I can tolerate a dip to 40s if it's so predictable.

It's also fascinating to see how close the One X gets to 4K/60 minus that same spot.

In any case, it can't possibly be a hardware issue on a game from 11 years ago, and I'm sure this will be patched out by the time the game hits EA Play.

Probably this spot wasn't optimized before because it didn't fall below 30fps on One X anyway, so it made no practical difference there.

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously a bug for Series X. Shameful that people are using that as proof of anything. Does highlight the desperation though.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder why we see so many developers have weird hiccups like this on series X. The Xbox One X is almost hitting 4k60, but a specific area on the map is in low 40s on Series X. Such a weird thing.
The same spot drops to the 30s on One X. My guess is they didn't bother optimizing it since it was capped at 30fps anyway.

Why this only happens on Xbox is a mystery, but it should be fixable.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Not interested in the war but this is probably my favourite NFS. Just picked it up last week and having a blast, just like the old PS3 days.

Well worth giving it a go as it's on sale often.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I played it for the first time on the PS5 but there way too many Time Trials-type of events there and the traffic in those kind of events is infuriating. The thing this game does great are normal races and hot pursuits but there should have been more then what's there. What hurts this even more is they put presentation over quick retry so you always have to watch the stupid into scene if you want to retry a time trial and skipping takes too long. Disappointed tbh.

Also the music selection sucks ass, muted that shit after one hour in.

Guess I am selling the game. Could have been one of my favorite racers of all time if not for that.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This quote below demonstrates what I was referring to.

The One X outperforms the PS4pro in most scenarios but when they hit that corner the framerate drops below PS4pro but never hits less than 30fps.

So before this latest patch that unlocks the framerate at 4k, there was no way to see the bug on Xbox One X.

Hope they fix it and hope they unlock 60fps on Series S.
You are right, I missed that part.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It seems like an overlooked bug. Since the game didn't run at a unlocked frame rate on the 4k mode till this current patch.

Hardware wise this game can run at 4k 60 on most 4-5tf plus GPUs. I remember my old gtx 780 being able to do 4k 60 with small dips on the original version.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this always ends up being like half the discourse and it's super annoying. The other half of the discussion (and most of the content in the analysis videos) is focused on how well the devs optimized a game or how they decided to make subtle cuts in order to keep the experience smooth and appealing on each platform. Probably why my favorite videos are ones where they look at an outlier hardware like the Switch ports of the Doom games. In those cases, no one cares that it looks better or worse, everyone is just amazed at how well the devs adapt to a completely different hardware spec.
I'm convinced the Doom Switch ports use arcane sorcery to get those results.

Those games are Crytek tier machine magic.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
Posting this here since it's the most relevant thread and I don't want to create a new.one. I played this on ps5 tonight and it felt like 30fps, not 60. Strange.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Posting this here since it's the most relevant thread and I don't want to create a new.one. I played this on ps5 tonight and it felt like 30fps, not 60. Strange.

I think there's still multiple modes to choose even on SX/ps5. Felt pretty good when i played it when it was available on EA Access.