• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
Ofcourse it is demanding. This is the holy grail of real time rendering on consumer level gpus. The fact that its running on modern resolutions on 30+fps with visuals like Metro Exodus is hugely impressive.

I am talking DX11, not the DX12 RTX exclusive features.

Do you think is the holy Grail even without the RTGI?

I mean... Is this the new "best looking game ever"?

I am doubtful.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
But... How about performance... I mean, looking at the benchs at gamegpu seems very demanding, as in no GPU will run this at 4k@60 even in DX11, and only the new RTX run it at 60fps average or higher at 1080p (DX11).

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/metro-exodus-test-gpu-cpu

Seems very very demanding.
Ignore any and all benchmarks done within the games benchmarking system. It does not come close to what you get in game performance. Every bench you see you can add around 20fps to the amount.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, because of this video I am pretty much ready to spend 1200 bucks on RTX2080Ti, but the game's fucked controller sensitivity - such a lame ass problem - prevents me from actually enjoying it and wanting to play it, so...yeah.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible video dictator, I'm sad RTX won't be in next gen consoles because it really seems like a gamechanger here.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Fuck sake I need to buy this on PC now, after watching that video. Damn bois that engine looks killer. When is this out on Steam, no jokes now.

Damn you Epic store...

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
For me, even on a Titan Xp without RTX, it's about as good as games have ever looked! Battlefront II is the only game I feel gives it a real visual run for its money, but Exodus is doing so much more on a technical level that it edges it out.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will be the generation after that before you start seeing ray tracing in console games.
You're probably right. It's a shame too, because raytracing makes such a big difference, even in its infancy with consumer-grade graphics cards.

I've never played a Metro game and only have a 2080, but I'm tempted to get this just as a showcase for the card.

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this has me really excited to see what a studio like DICE can do with their next game now that they've experience with the tech. If it's Battlefront 3, oh boy.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

I am doubtful.
I think the performance is still very good.

4_metro-exodus-bench-rtx-on-vs-off-2080ti.png

6_metro-exodus-bench-rtx-1080p-ultra.png

Without RTGI, it is still one of the best looking games on the market. Arguably, the best.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Really need to get my 2080Ti build going.

Thinking of buying the 2080ti FTW and just throwing it in my 3770k rig to replace my SLI 970s....

Then ordering my i9 9900k , mobo/ram a couple months later.

Doable?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Great video Alex. I wasn't that impressed with ray tracing in the still shots I've seen before this deep dive, now that's changed. It's not simply 'making things darker' as some critics have complained, some scenes have massively more added detail due to the light bounce.

On DLSS, seems like Nvidia is hearing the criticisms, so we'll see. Agreed that the fact it's even barely above native 1440p in quality (if even that) at DLSS 4K is rather bizarre, hopefully they can really up the sharpness. What Nvidia does seem to confirm unfortunately is that the processing budget of DLSS basically means it can't be applied to framerates beyond 60, while not a problem for me as I play my PC games on a TV with a joypad, this is definitely not great for owners of high-refresh rate displays who were hopeful DLSS could get them to 120+ while maintaining quality.

The lack of a 'true' fullscreen mode I think it an annoying quirk (or as MS would call it - 'optimization') of some DX12 games that make use of MS's new display model as most Windows Store games do. DX12 may provide more optimization avenues for lower-end CPU's, unfortunately there's quite a bit of downside which I feel is glossed over somewhat- namely the lack of customization. Frame rate limiters don't work, no reshade, no refresh rates - there are advantages of course (no alt-tabbing crashes and immediate resolution changes), but these are pretty big limitations as compared to what PC gamers are used to.

Last edited:

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
It looks good. But...wtf man, I'm legitimately not even close to being blown away. I feel like as techniques and modeling improve, the other areas of rendering which lag behind, stand out even more.

But I'd agree. Best looking FPS attempting realistic visuals, thus far.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Looks awesome, but 4A Games really know what they are doing.

Still, my PC isn't the best one. With my GTX 1070 and Xeon and 1440p Screen, I would most likely end up with High settings and 1440p and of course no Raytracing. Not sure if the system would even manage 60 fps with high settings.

Therefore I went for the One X version with HDR, native 4K and it seems mostly High settings at 30 FPS.

Personally I just don't want to invest so much money for a RTX 2080 TI and the other system parts needed for that kind of improvement and I would still need to buy a decent new monitor as well.

I love gaming on my PC and a lot of games still rund perfectly fine with the setup in 1440p, 60FPS and High/Max settings. Otherwise I'll just stick to my One X where it makes sense.

and yes, Raytracing is a huge thing, I think it was even clearly visible in BF5, when you played with RTX on vs. off. Which I was able to do, when I had a test system from Nvidia at hand.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I'd say some of the character models and animation limitations stand out. I think this is very impressive, but I'm also blown away by Last of Us 2 with its animation and incredible character detail, ray tracing or not.

This isn't new though, it's always been the case when you massively up the quality of one aspect of graphics the detriments of other elements are more prominent, like when you play very old games in 4K and notice the poor textures and low polygon count.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Not long had my 9700k and a 2080ti build and am having to reduce settings at 4k.

This game with everything turned on max may need a resolution reduction as I ain't sure I want to turn down any of the graphics features.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I am doubtful.

That's the thing with ray tracing.

We got so good at faking it that doing it in real time just seems kind a waste of resources.

Its impressive in a academic sense but outside of stuff like reflections, its use for lighting seems redudent

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I'd say some of the character models and animation limitations stand out. I think this is very impressive, but I'm also blown away by Last of Us 2 with its animation and incredible character detail, ray tracing or not.

This isn't new though, it's always been the case when you massively up the quality of one aspect of graphics the detriments of other elements are more prominent, like when you play very old games in 4K and notice the poor textures and low polygon count.

That's just it, Metro's character models are good enough to get the job done. And it isn't simply one aspect of the tech that stands out. There are plenty. Exactly like Last Light in 2013.

That said, The Last Of Us Part II is the only game I expect to really topple this (and that's a maybe). :P

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Not long had my 9700k and a 2080ti build and am having to reduce settings at 4k.

This game with everything turned on max may need a resolution reduction as I ain't sure I want to turn down any of the graphics features.
Definitely don't play at Extreme. It's a massive performance drain with almost imperceptible image quality difference than Ultra.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This looks absolutely incredible. My GTX 1070 is just not ready.

So is this the new graphic king. Taken as a whole package it has to be graphic king of the year, if not of the generation.

Im pretty sure DF will give this their graphic award for 2019.....unless The Last of Us 2 somehow manages to actually beat this.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
New consoles must have some kind of ray tracing support otherwise it's going to be a huge huge letdown. Even if they would be able to handle only low preset or something that would still be great.

Imagine Naughty Dog level of assets and animation + this tech. Yummy

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
This looks absolutely incredible. My GTX 1070 is just not ready.

So is this the new graphic king. Taken as a whole package it has to be graphic king of the year, if not of the generation.

Im pretty sure DF will give this their graphic award for 2019.....unless The Last of Us 2 somehow manages to actually beat this.

Right now, I'd put it soundly above everything else (with Battlefront II in 2nd place). Just a reminder of how lovely this generation has been for graphics! The Last Of us Part II promises to join them!

Last edited:

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
That's the thing with ray tracing.

We got so good at faking it that doing it in real time just seems kind a waste of resources.

Its impressive in a academic sense but outside of stuff like reflections, its use for lighting seems redudent

Well you obviously did not watch the video

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
You've misread the benchmarks. The air-cooled Vega 64/RTX 2060 and above average at least 60fps at 1080p.

True, well I didn't misread them, but I didn't express myself right, as I mentioned average.

When looking at 1080@60 fps I was thinking about a locked 60 fps. Asks for a 2070 or 1080ti according to those benches.

That seems a bit crazy, specially taking into account the beastly CPU.

Personally, I guess I will wait a couple of years to play it...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing naysayers just make me cringe

This video proves them wrong yet they still go on