• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Torn on 30 vs 60 FPS....

If 30fps had the same input response at 60 I could handle it. I wish there was a middle ground like Insomniac did for Ratchet & Clank with a 40FPS option that could take advantage of 120hz displays.

Then again, is the PS5 actually had VRR then 30fps would feel better....

I don't have a VRR compatible display but I thought this is not how VRR works? I thought VRR smoothed inconsistencies in frame rate, but it doesn't speed anything up?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
My main assumption is that they went with the workflow they used for the Frozen Wilds. Which iirc was performance capture for key scenes and for dialogue scenes facial capture mixed with a separate body double. With small scenes having bigger emphasis on the usual fare with pre-made gestures.
I think your assumption of their workflow for Forbidden West makes more sense. Full body motion capture for inconsequential scenes don't seem practical.

GG have certainly come a long way since the original.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing analysis by DF, this is probably going to be one of the gold standards (graphically) in gaming for some time.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between perf and res is really noticeable

horizonforbiddenwest_oykco.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_jrkp6.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_sbk0t.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_twjsh.jpg

I wonder what is holding to hit at least 1440p native.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference between perf and res is really noticeable

horizonforbiddenwest_oykco.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_jrkp6.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_sbk0t.jpg

horizonforbiddenwest_twjsh.jpg

I wonder what is holding to hit at least 1440p native.
its much more noticeable in motion with that crazy shimmering . For one i m really really dissapointed with a Sony first party. To the point that ill play later while hoping it get fixed.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I don't get the 60FPS complaints.

Only reason it's there it's to please that crowd who need it no matter the cost of cutting back details and such. Sure there can be a "middle" (lol) but not all Sony 1P devs are going to offer 40FPS mode with added bells and whistles. Insomniac is Insomniac. They will do whatever they see fit for their games and fans.

Personally if I want the best graphics and wow factor, I'm sticking to 30FPS and best resolution. These consoles aren't there yet to offer both unfortunately. And many have stated, no matter if you target 60FPS, some aren't going to be pleased because adding more bells and whistles does affect performance somewhere unless you have the hardware to brute force those hick ups. (Or fancy functions like Nvidia Gsync, VRR or whatnot to offset those small details)

Having said that, I'm missing out since I've yet to beat the first game. I'll get to experience this at some later time.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Only reason it's there it's to please that crowd who need it no matter the cost of cutting back details and such. Sure there can be a "middle" (lol) but not all Sony 1P devs are going to offer 40FPS mode with added bells and whistles. Insomniac is Insomniac. They will do whatever they see fit for their games and fans.

Personally if I want the best graphics and wow factor, I'm sticking to 30FPS and best resolution. These consoles aren't there yet to offer both unfortunately. And many have stated, no matter if you target 60FPS, some aren't going to be pleased because adding more bells and whistles does affect performance somewhere unless you have the hardware to brute force those hick ups. (Or fancy functions like Nvidia Gsync, VRR or whatnot to offset those small details)

Having said that, I'm missing out since I've yet to beat the first game. I'll get to experience this at some later time.
You can cut other things. Clean IQ should be mandatory with bigger tv and higher resolution nowadays. I never expected a new gen game with such problems even more coming from Sony first party. To the point that zero dawn on ps5 at 60fps is much more pleasing to my eyes

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

The image quality drop is more significant than a lot was expecting.

Horizon: Forbidden West : Screenshot Comparison

Make comparison of screenshots

I think even PS4 games patched to 60 looked cleaner, more stable.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Posters downplaying CP2077 with RT after the 1.5 patch just lol. I spent a ridiculous amount of time last night just taking screenshots of it, it looks otherworldly. DL2's RTGI looks good too but with the amount of unique assets, density of npcs, the geometric/architectural variety in Night City it really does feel like a next gen experience on PC. Not to take away from FW ofc, its stunning in its own way but lighting ain't what it does best.

I can't consider Cyberpunk the best because of all the annoying to look at ads everywhere in that city lol. I did love driving around a lot when I played on PC it looked great, but personally I don't even want to launch the game again because seeing all that crap gets tiring.
Forbidden West looks insanely good to me in resolution, I doubt Cyberpunk could have areas with this much foliage looking this good.

It is top tier and a future PC version will be extremely stunning.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I tried several times forcing myself back to 30 to try and play but it just feels so awful coming from performance, idk how yall do it knowing you could be playing at 60.

I will say that I do actually notice the degradation in visuals in this game, whereas is in Spiderman and Ratchet I honestly couldn't. Whatever Insomniac is doing with their AA methods needs to be passed around to the other Sony studios. Ratchet and Spiderman performance RT looks fucking amazing and not once did I think the games looked compromised visually.

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I tried several times forcing myself back to 30 to try and play but it just feels so awful coming from performance, idk how yall do it knowing you could be playing at 60.

I will say that I do actually notice the degradation in visuals in this game, whereas is in Spiderman and Ratchet I honestly couldn't. Whatever Insomniac is doing with their AA methods needs to be passed around to the other Sony studios. Ratchet and Spiderman performance RT looks fucking amazing and not once did I think the games looked compromised visually.

Play 1 hour in 30 fps and you won't notice the slide show anymore. It's a mind trick.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The image quality drop is more significant than a lot was expecting.

Horizon: Forbidden West : Screenshot Comparison

Make comparison of screenshots

I think even PS4 games patched to 60 looked cleaner, more stable.
It feels like there's also more happening than just the resolution being lower, like look at the red particles from the blight, drastically different. Feels like holograms are also noticeable lower quality when in performance mode

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I personally would just about always prefer lower asset density and fidelity for better resolution and framerate.

Especially with OLED TVs becoming more common the 30fps modes become that much more deprecated and when the 60fps "performance" mode has to decrease image quality by a significant margin because the fidelity is just too high... what's the point.

Of course, one huge point is and will always be marketing, and screenshots still get shared the most. It's also generally just the way the general audience wants to be wowed initially. When you're not playing, the 60fps trailers don't have much of a fluidity advantage over the 30fps ones.

But yeah, doesn't surprise me if some people prefer PS4 games running at stable 60fps 4k on PS5.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like there's also more happening than just the resolution being lower, like look at the red particles from the blight, drastically different. Feels like holograms are also noticeable lower quality when in performance mode
I noticed that with screens and holograms. Really heavy moire artifacts when in Performance

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
If I'm on a 1080p TV, the appearance of the 60fps mode should be a non-issue for me, is that correct? Should be very sharp looking?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017

It's worth mentioning that Horizon had a significant portion of its development done during the pandemic whereas the other games mentioned were not as impacted. Also, Horizon has a lot more going on in the environments than the other games mentioned.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It's about 30% more pixels to render when compared to 1800p CBR.
Also I don't think that it would help much with sharpness. This seem to be mostly an issue of their TAA being little more than just TAA.
CBR doesn't come for free, it has computational overhead. They could probably hit 1440 in regular rendering without much trouble, but they love using CBR because it most often does end up looking better. In this case they should have not used it, it seems. Even if they had to do just native 1300p or something like that, it would probably end up better.

Last edited:

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
The performance mode is very shimmery/flickery supersampled too. The resolution mode on HDTVs has a much cleaner and less noisy image.
Ah, thank you, good to know. I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet or keep up with this thread's discussion, but do we know why? Other games at the same resolution don't have this issue, no?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So I installed the PS4 version on my PS5 because I was curious with how it looked. This would basically default to the PS4 Pro version right? Also, if the intro was prerendered on the PS4, then why is photo mode still available?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
So I installed the PS4 version on my PS5 because I was curious with how it looked. This would basically default to the PS4 Pro version right? Also, if the intro was prerendered on the PS4, then why is photo mode still available?
-Yes, it's the PS4 pro version
-Photomode is available but you can't really do anything. It's just photomode on top of a video.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So where is the actual frame test on resolution mode? Unless I missed it I'm surprised this wasn't covered by the video at all. Which is disappointing. Would've been nice to see if it actually runs perfect 30 before I bought it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
-Yes, it's the PS4 pro version
-Photomode is available but you can't really do anything. It's just photomode on top of a video.
Face paint is an option in photo mode and you can change it and see it affect Aloy during any of the intro scenes with her.

So where is the actual frame test on resolution mode? Unless I missed it I'm surprised this wasn't covered by the video at all. Which is disappointing. Would've been nice to see if it actually runs perfect 30 before I bought it.
They said it runs pretty much perfect at 30 fps on both ps5 and ps4 with good frame pacing, while Performance also sticks pretty much most of the time to 60 (with what seems to be like very minor drops during cutscenes)

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched the DF video and the popin is very apparent on PS5.

My take away is that the impressive part is how close PS4 base us to the core experience.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is that when you have stand still screenshots then yes performance mode looks less detailed as expected.
But 99% of the time you are moving and for me 60fps always "cleans up" the image where with 30fps i feel i lose all the details. Even more with when you play 30fps you kinda need motion blur on.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
CBR doesn't come for free, it has computational overhead. They could probably hit 1440 in regular rendering without much trouble, but they love using CBR because it most often does end up looking better. In this case they should have not used it, it seems. Even if they had to do just native 1300p or something like that, it would probably end up better.
While true I don't think that that overhead is close to 30%. Native 1300p would very likely look worse than 1800p CBR in the abscense of TAAU - which is the main issue here.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Anything or effect that is resolution-bound would suffer or moe specifically... be different based on your resolution. So basically anything that is done in post-processing (PP) which is resolution bound. DOF, Particles, Motion Blur, AA, SSR....etc. Going from rendering ~8M native pixels to around ~3M with 180p CB, thats why you see so much of a cutback with any f the above-named features.

The issue with the 60fps mode isn't really the original image. And outside an expected drop in some PP quality, all detail is for the most part maintained. The issue is shimmering. If not for that, people wouldn't really be saying anything. I hope its something they can fix.

I don't know why they wet this route though, this looks like one of those situations where they should have just gone for a dynamic native 1080p -1440p or even better 1296p - 1368p.

While true I don't think that that overhead is close to 30%. Native 1300p would very likely look worse than 1800p CBR in the absence of TAAU - which is the main issue here.
I strongly doubt that native 1368p would look worse than what they are ding here. I mean even 1080p still looks good and is not a muddy mess with the right AA solution backing it. The issue is the visual noise whatever they are doing adding t the mage.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Anybody running into serious framerate problems on base PS4? It was running pretty smooth but I just did my first bandit camp (Eastern Lie) and the framerate is mid single digits throughout. It's unplayable.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
It's barely warm and there is no fan blowing high at all. Is there another way to tell if it is? The dash pulls up fine and can move around without issue. When I go into the map it works fine as well.

It's not just the camp, either. It's now pretty much everywhere.

If it's not fan loud it's probably not. Sorry the frames are that bad.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say they fixed the shimmering problem?
I guess thats not true then.

Did DF say whats causing it in their video?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's barely warm and there is no fan blowing high at all. Is there another way to tell if it is? The dash pulls up fine and can move around without issue. When I go into the map it works fine as well.

It's not just the camp, either. It's now pretty much everywhere.
So, I closed out and loaded my most recent save and it is fixed for ow. Did DF run into this issue at all?

I took a few clips of it but the one below shows how it looks even when I'm not moving. Watch the flying enemy in the background just chopping along and how the foliage moves. I go into the menu and it's smooth as butter but back into the open world again and it's just horrible. Wonder what the issue is here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody running into serious framerate problems on base PS4? It was running pretty smooth but I just did my first bandit camp (Eastern Lie) and the framerate is mid single digits throughout. It's unplayable.
Try closing the game and restarting it. Someone said they've ran into that problem and a game restart fixed it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Play 1 hour in 30 fps and you won't notice the slide show anymore. It's a mind trick.
For some games this works, for something like this I cannot see that happening for me personally. Action games at 30fps always feel sluggish, whereas something liek an RPG with turn based combat my brain just phases it out pretty quickly.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
30 FPS is perfectly fine here. I normally play in performance mode for nearly everything but I've put in 14 hours for FW in res mode and it hasn't been an issue for me. Takes a min to readjust when coming back to it after playing something else that's 60 FPS, but that's to be expected.

el_barto

Feb 14, 2022
I disagree. 30fps is bad in this game and I wish Alex would have taken a look at it. I've tried to go back multiple times and it's simply not good. It still makes me nauseous.
I really can't agree. In my opinion, the 30 fps mode is as good as it gets.
I'm not averse to 30 fps in general but my experience with the 30 fps mode is really good. The frame pacing seems to be steady as a rock, the per Pixel motion blur does the trick.

Have not had the desire to switch to 60fps once.

But different strokes for different folks I guess

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine people's acceptence of 30fps will depend on their display device, as well as personal tolerance.