• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I think IOI deserves some credit here, not just the improving xbox development tools. They obviously went out of their way to take advantage of the extra GPU power. Also I'd rather they stick to the native 4k rather than reduce it just to help one area of one level. It's a good trade off.

Series S continues to impress me for such a tiny 'lil box.

They wouldn't have to drop the resolution of the entire game to fix I though. Just a dynamic resolution or toggle for that particular level would have been fine.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
People may be making jokes about the tools getting better here - but I have Heard that build performance has indeed increased over time since launch on XSX. GPU Compiler and Stuff can be pretty important for GPU Performance!
Thanks for the insight and it's good the tools are getting better.
PS5's custom ssd is surprising...they said it's 5gb/sec but difference is minimal with XsX ssd...

Because it's more expensive, it has less storage size also...is it the result of Velocity architecture of XsX ?
wold that loading time be what it is going to be going forward or ps5 could have more optimization? ps5 has like 2x speed yet there is less of a second of difference.
CPU + SSD are responsible for loading and PS5 and Xbox Series X are so close that perhaps something else like CPU, networking, .... is the culprit. It's also interesting that the Series S is actually slower than the Series X, because in theory it needs to fill a smaller RAM pool.
I'm really wondering what, beside dev priority, y'all are expecting to get from the ps5 ssd that can't be done on another.
There seems to be this idea that developers can't reduce the data streamed (MIPS, sounds, whatever) to accommodate a slower SSD, while keeping gameplay elements in tact. I dunno why, but some users seem to believe that. My take on this is that graphically there will be differences, but from a gameplay perspective the consoles are so close that there shouldn't be a gameplay concept possible on one console and not on the other platform.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't know if I'd call 30% higher resolution "slight".

I would definitely call one area of one level having minor drops slight though. As I would definitely call 1/2 difference of loading time slight.

Native 4k will look a little sharper but it's not a big difference from a game running 1800p checkerboard or using a good upscaling technique on my 65 inch 4k Sony TV.

If you get really close, sure you can see it, just like you can when DF zoom in but playing at normal viewing distance, it's not a big enough difference to care about or really notice.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
With a layman's understanding of resolution, I always thought that increasing your resolution to its max was a matter of what you were trying to run at that resolution.

Something akin to being able to carry a beachball above your head while running in a marathon, but not running at full speed while carrying a grown woman.

Are we of the consensus that this game is too heavy for the PS5 to carry at true 4k or that all erm...(forgive me) full grown games are?

UpwardRapier

Jan 22, 2020
I guess the rumors about Xbox giving devkits late where true then, Xbox having the advantage will become the norm this gen, at least till a next gen refresh happens.

Nov 8, 2017
I love Digital Foundry but to say that the fact PS5 has a lower resolution than XSX is good news is really weird. Like, for whom exactly is this good except Xbox fanboys?

Xbox appeared to be underperforming compared to paper specs, and in this game it's closer to what people expected from them. People like their stuff being utilized to it's maximum capabilities. Not hard to understand. Parity is only good if the hardware is actually equal.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Bad resolution and performance gets talked about all the time here...even without df 👀 and the game just released today.

DF doesn't always get their findings out the same day. Sometimes there's a delay by 3 or 4 days (sometimes a week). And during such delays I never see anybody talking about an obvious/clear resolution difference

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But again, the GPUs are from the same architecture and as we all know runs significantly faster on Series X. The PS5 likely isn't exhibiting those dips because it's running at 70% of the resolution of the Series X. There's no reason these results shouldn't be predictable and reliable moving forward.
You should not assume this because the GPU limited scene comparison mentioned earlier.
You should also not assume this after multitude of factual evidences showing similar or better performance on PS5 in other cross-gen games.
Engines have architectural preferences sometimes.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'd need to re-watch the video but there's a big difference between "it's good news that the XBOX Series X version runs at 4K" versus "it's good news that the PS5 runs at a lower resolution."

Obviously, if you're buying an XBOX Series, it's good news that the game is running at native 4K. And if you're buying it on PS5, it doesn't matter, because you're buying it on PS5.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox appeared to be underperforming compared to paper specs, and in this game it's closer to what people expected from them. People like their stuff being utilized to it's maximum capabilities. Not hard to understand.
Except it sounds rather as if the good news was that the other console underperforms. Maybe I am overreacting but it hit me as a weird thing to say.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I love Digital Foundry but to say that the fact PS5 has a lower resolution than XSX is good news is really weird. Like, for whom exactly is this good except Xbox fanboys?
it's not a petty console war topic for DF...they're saying it's good to see that XSX is showing some gains finally since theoretically it's better on paper.

think back to ps4pro and one x comparisons...it was always "good" to see one x at higher res, because that's what people were buying it for. if both ran at same resolution/performance, it would be "bad", because one x was more expensive and was the greatest thing ever according to MS advertising

Nov 8, 2017
Except it sounds rather as if the good news was that the other console underperforms. Maybe I am overreacting but it hit me as a weird thing to say.

I would be relieved too if I was digital foundry, since they were being bombarded by hate for breaking the bad news that older xsx titles were sometimes behind ps5. Great news in fact, they might only get a little bit of toxic hate thrown at them now.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I know, I watched the video and that's why I said the difference is minor and it's a great result for both overall lol

Because describing it as "slightly better fps" is disingenuous because the only fps drop is extremely minor and is in one specific area. The way you described it makes it sound like the PS5 FPS is slightly better the whole way through.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
John says it at 3:25.
yea you guys are right, DF are biased fanboys. I'll wait for the jaytechtv analysis to see what's really happening here.
I don't think John or DF are fanboys at all, but the comment comes off a little weird. I thought we were referring to someone in this thread and not DF.

I'm not going to chastise them for saying it because they catch enough BS heat from people like us and I know it's tiring to them.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could the differences here be in correlation to the past gen versions at all? Eg the PS4 Pro version runs these PS5 settings at 30fps, whilst the One X runs the Series X settings at 30fps?

Curious if this is the Series X finally showing a performance advantage, or if it's instead the game running in a BC mode of sorts.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems more in line with what you should expect as the machines mature

there IS after all a hardware advantage on series x

anyway all versions sound good

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Could the differences here be in correlation to the past gen versions at all? Eg the PS4 Pro version runs these PS5 settings at 30fps, whilst the One X runs the Series X settings at 30fps?

Curious if this is the Series X finally showing a performance advantage, or if it's instead the game running in a BC mode of sorts.
i'm like 99% sure it's a native next gen game on both platforms, albeit still a cross gen title
I don't know enough about the development environments, but it is possible they just based it on the existing last gen code base to a degree

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I think you're reading into it too much.

John's just (I think!) pointing out that you'd expect to see differences (because the XSX is more powerful than the PS5). If the games are at exact parity in all features then it means one of them hasn't been pushed as hard as it could be. So it's good that both machines are being used to their absolute strengths.

He's not celebrating over one version having lower resolution or shadows or whatever.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Seems like strong performance from both the PS5 and Series X though if I was a real pixel peeper with both machines I'd pick the Series X version for having better resolution and shadows for the 99% of the game you play that isn't that one flower field.

Given the nature of the drop there I can imagine that rather than adding dynamic resolution scaling to the game IOI might just optimise that section of the game instead.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
DF doesn't always get their findings out the same day. Sometimes there's a delay by 3 or 4 days (sometimes a week). And during such delays I never see anybody talking about an obvious/clear resolution difference

Most likely because many users aren't buying two copies to compare. You're not being truthful if you're really trying to imply bad resolution isn't noticed or discussed by this forum outside of when df videos are posted.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I would be relieved too if I was digital foundry, since they were being bombarded by hate for breaking the bad news that older xsx titles were sometimes behind ps5. Great news in fact, they might only get a little bit of toxic hate thrown at them now.
This is an interesting hypothesis. I can surely see it being said in this context.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

PS5 is using higher settings than ps4pro. XSX is using higher settings than X1X.

This should not be BC Mode, but a full App for both Systems from what I understand.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Excellent work on the consoles, IOI! The XSX looks impressive with great ports such as these. It is still not enough to take me away from my PS5, but those with an XSX are definitely in for a treat.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

I didn't watch the video but in the past and knowing John, he prefers framerate above all. So if X console is pushing less res but higher framerate (even if it's like 0.001 minor advantage), he will go for framerate.

Nothing fanboyish about it. Just a preference.

Dec 12, 2017
You need a tinfoil hat my dude. Both consoles are good relax. He's talking about people's expectations of the series x (which were to outperform the Ps5 in resolution and framrate based on the raw numbers).

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the video but in the past and knowing John, he prefers framerate above all. So if X console is pushing less res but higher framerate (even if it's like 0.001 minor advantage), he will go for framerate.

Nothing fanboyish about it. Just a preference.

his oled has vrr, which completely erases that "issue".

regardless, it's good news all around. even series s.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Because describing it as "slightly better fps" is disingenuous because the only fps drop is extremely minor and is in one specific area. The way you described it makes it sound like the PS5 FPS is slightly better the whole way through.

Not really, PS5 doesn't drop frames, Series X / S does drop slightly, so technically what I'm saying is true, but the I also said the differences are minor and they are both great, funny how people are ignoring that bit.....

I find it so weird how people get so defensive about this stuff, trying to look for things that aren't there.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Not quite.

You're getting 16'589 pixels/$ with the Xbox Series X and only 14'400 pixels/$ with the PS5 DE. Xbox wins again.

That said the Xbox Series S comes in at a frankly pathetic 6921 pixels/$.

The difference you're pointing out between the Series X & PS5, is undetectable to the vast majority...However, everybody can notice the $100 difference

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Not really, PS5 doesn't drop frames, Series X / S does drop slightly, so technically what I'm saying is true, but the I also said the differences are minor and they are both great, funny how people are ignoring that bit.....

I find it so weird how people get so defensive about this stuff, trying to look for things that aren't there.

dont you think "the xbox has better shadows and resolution, and outside of one specific area has the same exact FPS as the PS5" is a better description?

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I think most of the public will not care if the difference is so small. We just have to see how the previous Gens have worked, more power is not usually synonymous with more success.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
PS5 is using higher settings than ps4pro. XSX is using higher settings than X1X.
Alex, do you believe there's headroom there to further increase the resolution of the PS5 version?

1800p vs 2160p is quite a gap i PQ (+ higher quality shadows), much greater than the specs would suggest. I never doubted/mocked the tools argument, it was corroborated by several credible sources (including you guys).

But would that amount to this kind of difference? Especially considering what we've been seeing since launch. Any theories?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
John is coming round to the high-resolution future, it took him longer than I thought, his CRT comments were borderline cultist lol

I think he'd still prefer framerate if frame drops were widespread. In such a case where drops happen only in a tiny part of the game it would be overkill to lower the resolution across the board. Although I don't know why the developers didn't use dynamic resolution in that one spot, similar to how developers of COD turned off ray-traced shadows in one specific level. I guess they probably didn't have the time or didn't feel it was significant enough to require intervention.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there resolution parity for XSX and PS5 in Watchdogs which seems wholly more demanding? I need to revisit the DF analysis on that one.

I know it's not apples/apples but it seems a bit odd that a more linear game like Hitman would have more governance from a performance perspective than open world titles like WD & AC Valhalla.

Maybe it's just the devs preferring a native presentation with their TAA implementation?

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Alpha effects cost scales exponentially with resoultion, thats why it performs worse than PS5 in that section, could probably be fixed without dropping 4k if they dialed them more towards XSX but this was probably too insignificant.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Most likely because many users aren't buying two copies to compare. You're not being truthful if you're really trying to imply bad resolution isn't noticed or discussed by this forum outside of when df videos are posted.

I'm talking about the difference in resolution. I said nothing about a "bad resolution"

Who said anything about a "bad resolution"?

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
All versions looking good, and damn that XSX version looks hot. I'm holding out for the Steam release but if I see a good price for it on Xbox this year I won't be able to resist.