• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

All the members of the DF crew are on this one and in the same place! Talking MW tech based on Tom's time at the MP reveal event.

Main points
-Game uses a wildly dynamic resolution per frame combined with temporal reconstruction to maintain 60fps performance
-Actually uses variable rate shading on current consoles!
-The motion blur hides these shifts while not being too much to be distracting
-First CoD with a full photogrammetry pipeline
-Impressed by animation and scope rendering
-Massive increase in map size
-Screen-space shadows like in Days Gone for fine detail
-"Spectral Rendering" for the use of night vision goggles. Thermal, UV, and IR values are a part of the world and accurately reflected when the imaging requires it
-Volumetric fog and lights
-Team targets 70fps to account for overhead

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Summary done but I highly recommend watching. Love this kind of discussion between the whole crew where you can see them get really excited about different aspects of rendering and features and they go into a lot of depth.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Game is looking good. Kinda wonder if the team thought this would be a next gen launch title and planned for the consoles to come out in fall 2019.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will look sick on Pro and X. Hyped to play a proper cod on console again. Last year's BO4 PC experience was rather disappointing.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
So what's happening with the shadowmap? In all gameplay footage I watched only the nearest 2 or 3 cascades are getting rendered.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm liking all the performance-saving rendering techniques they're making use of; squeezes as much juice as possible out of those console gpus. I feel that there is going to be a lot of dynamic resolution / temporal supersampling next-gen. Hopefully PC versions can follow suit instead of just brute forcing everything.

OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
So what's happening with the shadowmap? In all gameplay footage I watched only the nearest 2 or 3 cascades are getting rendered.
They don't talk about it here, unfortunately. I'm hoping that's just some early issues on the big maps that get sorted because other maps don't have that issue and look great.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
-Actually uses variable rate shading on current consoles!
-The motion blur hides these shifts while not being too much to be distracting
VRS on current consoles is interesting since these don't have hardware support for that. Edit: they say it's a software implementation of it, cool

That line about motion blur is worrying most likely now can't disable the motion blur on consoles which is lame, COD Infinite Warfare let us disable motion blur on console. More inclined to buy PC version instead especially with cross play with PC confirmed

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
VRS on current consoles is interesting since these don't have hardware support for that.
That line about motion blur is worrying most likely now can't disable the motion blur on consoles which is lame, COD Infinite Warfare let us disable motion blur on console. More inclined to buy PC version instead.
You can disable it on console based off of impressions from the show.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
VRS on current consoles is interesting since these don't have hardware support for that.
That line about motion blur is worrying most likely now can't disable the motion blur on consoles which is lame, COD Infinite Warfare let us disable motion blur on console. More inclined to buy PC version instead.

Full crossplay why would you NOT buy the PC version?
Seems like the version to go with either way.
Chances are some features will be impossible to switch off but expect a more than decent PC port.
If you watch the video per object motion blur is mainly on the gun.
The screen motion blur is super super light, not anywhere near enough to distract anyone.

If they include their reconstruction tech on PC I expect this to run on a potatoe and still look good.

I actually hope they cancel....or postpone COD 2020 and just rerelease this as a NextGen launch title with RayTracing enabled on Nextgen consoles.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Next gen will be really interesting with reconstruction improved, ray tracing, vrs and dynamic resolution and probably engines by then will feature most of these techniques (well, hopefully).

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still having a hard time seeing how this engine is "incredibly" different from the last one. Maybe it's a game you need to see in person to see these subtle differences?

It does look a bit different to me, but things are still very flat, and the ground textures overall aren't great still, also nothing is destructible(from the footage I've seen).

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
what about pop in though? They almost never mention it although it's quite visible imo..

OP
OP
RoboPlato

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
But isn't that how all games that are 60 FPS do it?

You always target higher to ensure baseline consistency and account for variance.
All aim higher but it's surprising that with dynamic res, reconstruction, and VRS that they're still aiming for 70 since those usually allow for less adherence to overhead. Plus we rarely actually get a number so I thought it was interesting

Next gen will be really interesting with reconstruction improved, ray tracing, vrs and dynamic resolution and probably engines by then will feature most of these techniques (well, hopefully).
It's going to be all about what looks good on a 4K display, not about what the base resolution is.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
They seem very impressed but I don't see it. Sure it looks good, but that 20vs20 map? That doesn't look too good at all and BFV absolutely destroys that visually. What I also love in BF is how foliage just isn't static at all, trees and bushes sway in the wind and it just looks really good. It's as static as can be in the MP of MW. That's a real shame. I guess it's to keep the framerate smooth?

However, we also see things like flags and other things and those do move in the wind, not static.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be all about what looks good on a 4K display, not about what the base resolution is.
The resolution will be hard to determine anyway like DF said in this video and there is more to image quality than just the metric of resolution as a hard fact. This was always true and also in the beginning of this generation but I hope we will move on from this discussion point come next gen.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still having a hard time seeing how this engine is "incredibly" different from the last one. Maybe it's a game you need to see in person to see these subtle differences?

It does look a bit different to me, but things are still very flat, and the ground textures overall aren't great still, also nothing is destructible(from the footage I've seen).

Can you tell the difference between UE3 and UE4?
How do you "see" engine differences?

Hopefully it will also have devs or atleast fans stop clamoring at resolutions in general.
Reconstruction techniques and vrs will make pixel counting nigh useless the only way to really grab us with marketing speak should be 60fps or 120fps.

Resolutions dont matter all that much once you approach 4K but 30fps to 60 or 120 is massive.
Use reconstruction to maintain framerate.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Can you tell the difference between UE3 and UE4?
How do you "see" engine differences?

This looks just as murky and dreary as some of the other older COD games, is that the COD style?
I wasn't attacking the game, I'm marveling and genuinely curious what I'm not seeing here that everyone else is seeing.

You can tell the difference between UE3 and UE4 games from too many things to name, some of them are differences in geometry, lighting effects used.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Side note: Oo boy, and I say this is a cisgender mostly straight guy, Alex and Morgan, (presumably) look very fit, especially, the former, with shapely lateral head of the triceps. Dude really hits the gym :P

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You can tell the difference between UE3 and UE4 games from too many things to name, some of them are differences in geometry, lighting effects used.

What?

DragonBall Fighter Z and Guilty Gear look effectively identical.
And If I asked you which was which "engine" and asked you to describe what gave away which engine was which you would be lying.

Whenever Engine talk comes around I always marvel at people who "think" they can guess or tell engines apart by looking at game X.

Without googling since you can "see" the difference between engines.
Which one is UE4 which is UE3:
maxresdefault.jpg

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
They seem very impressed but I don't see it. Sure it looks good, but that 20vs20 map? That doesn't look too good at all and BFV absolutely destroys that visually. What I also love in BF is how foliage just isn't static at all, trees and bushes sway in the wind and it just looks really good. It's as static as can be in the MP of MW. That's a real shame. I guess it's to keep the framerate smooth?

However, we also see things like flags and other things and those do move in the wind, not static.
BFV can drop to 30s and 40s fluctuating fps on consoles, all BF games on consoles never stable 60fps on online multiplayer unlike COD priorities stable 60fps gameplay

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This looks just as murky and dreary as some of the other older COD games, is that the COD style?
I wasn't attacking the game, I'm marveling and genuinely curious what I'm not seeing here that everyone else is seeing.

Arkham Knight is an UE3 game and manages to add features in that made it look better then nearly any UE4 game. It's why I found the hate for CoD using the same engine so dumb. Advanced warfare was a huge jump visually. Most people don't realize the games SP often looks better then MP. Advanced Warfare, MW:R and IW all looked great visually in SP

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Full crossplay why would you NOT buy the PC version?
Seems like the version to go with either way.
Chances are some features will be impossible to switch off but expect a more than decent PC port.
If you watch the video per object motion blur is mainly on the gun.
The screen motion blur is super super light, not anywhere near enough to distract anyone.

If they include their reconstruction tech on PC I expect this to run on a potatoe and still look good.

I actually hope they cancel....or postpone COD 2020 and just rerelease this as a NextGen launch title with RayTracing enabled on Nextgen consoles.

Im sure they will give console users an opt out of pc crossplay option, which will quickly be enabled once they come across the waves of hackers. I dont expect this to be any diff from previous COD games population wise on PC

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im sure they will give console users an opt out of pc crossplay option, which will quickly be enabled once they come across the waves of hackers. I dont expect this to be any diff from previous COD games population wise on PC

It's not full crossplay. It's fortnite crossplay. If i don't play with a pc friend i wont get a single pc player in my lobby. And that's the only way srsly.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's not full crossplay. It's fortnite crossplay. If i don't play with a pc friend i wont get a single pc player in my lobby. And that's the only way srsly.

oh. i didnt watch the stream so i assumed it was just full on crossplay. so yeah i definitely dont see it doing any better on PC. i guess if the large scale modes really deliver and they steal battlefields playerbase

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh. i didnt watch the stream so i assumed it was just full on crossplay. so yeah i definitely dont see it doing any better on PC. i guess if the large scale modes really deliver and they steal battlefields playerbase

I agree with the large scale battles but this is the only way for crossplay. Forced crossplay sucks for most games.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing wrong with that.

It also detects inputs too and matches you accordingly, want to play M/kB on console? Cool no problem, go play with the PC boys.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
What?

DragonBall Fighter Z and Guilty Gear look effectively identical.
And If I asked you which was which "engine" and asked you to describe what gave away which engine was which you would be lying.

Whenever Engine talk comes around I always marvel at people who "think" they can guess or tell engines apart by looking at game X.

Without googling since you can "see" the difference between engines.
Which one is UE4 which is UE3:
maxresdefault.jpg

But-----oh

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I know the game looks great but the visual style is so unappealing. It's too realistic and the war is current time which makes it way harder to abstract.

I think the game looks super interesting but I'm not sure I can get over that.

Feb 10, 2018
I know the game looks great but the visual style is so unappealing. It's too realistic and the war is current time which makes it way harder to abstract.

I think the game looks super interesting but I'm not sure I can get over that.

Just wait until a few more gens, games will be nearly indistinguishable from reality.