• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Microsoft hasn't officially announced Lockhart - its more price-conscious next-gen console - but leaked specs suggest a four teraflop GPU in its design. So what's the idea here? Why develop a less capable machine and how would it stack up against Xbox Series X and a prospective PlayStation 5. Rich investigates.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
If MS plans to have unified library anyway, I really dont understand the point of Lockhart. They can just tell people to buy Xbone X right?

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Imagine a 4tf GPU in 2027. Those who think it will be fine are looking at it right now. But in the course of the entire generation it certainly wont be enough. Specially that a lot of games might aim for reconstructed 4K over native 4k for the XSX and PS5. Meaning they arent going to downgrade from native 4k on those to 1080p on Lockhart leaving a lot less wiggle room

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If MS plans to have unified library anyway, I really dont understand the point of Lockhart. They can just tell people to buy Xbone X right?
XB1X doesn't have the SSD and CPU improvements, which I think Lockhart would have, so XB1X would be left behind over time as devs focus on the possibilities offered by those, while a Lockhart would not be and could serve as a low-spec alternative for the whole duration of the Series X's life, whereas XB1X would severely hamper it due to the aforementioned factors despite having a potentially equal GPU to Lockhart (or even a bit better than Lockhart).

Edit: And Ray-Tracing hardware, as @Calusto mentioned.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 5.0 TF GPU on my PC.

The answer is no.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017

Lockhart is supposed to perform around the One X but with the SSD and raytracing, also without the need to run games at 4K.

The way I see it, Microsoft would probably stop selling the One X and start selling the Lockhart at say... $349.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without RT, sure why not.

PS4 Pro is 4.2TF with a mobile CPU and old GPU architecture. I'd say 4TF Navi could do 1440p easily.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
maybe it's just me...but i feel that DF has been stretching this topic (and its equivilant highend counterpart) for the past 12 months....

it's like every 2 months, the same video pops up.

Don't flame me, guys @_@

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think anyone can answer that now, cos no one knows exactly what MS has planned but going by the terrific job they seem to be doing with the tech and design of the XSX, I wouldn't worry about their plans for Lockhart. I think they know what they are doing ,they are very capable and I bet they have a lot more surprises planned.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe it's just me...but i feel that DF has been stretching this topic (and its equivilant highend counterpart) for the past 12 months....

it's like every 2 months, the same video pops up.

Don't flame me, guys @_@

Hey. There are no new games out and the boys gotta eat.

Seeing DF clearly stretch for content the last month has been fun.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
It will very likely be able to run games identically to Series X at 1080p without RT. There are plenty of people out there that don't care about 4K. People are way too focused on teraflops.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I'll say it again : Lockhart is Microsoft solution for bringing xCloud to the Scarlett generation without impacting the Xbox Series X production
You don't need a 12TF GPU to run a game in the cloud and stream it in 720p-1080p

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Lockhart will hurt games despite people's fears. devs will just scale games down to 1080p while all the features intact

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Hey. There are no new games out and the boys gotta eat.

Seeing DF clearly stretch for content the last month has been fun.
All i know is I have a huge list of "wish videos" that I want to do that I almost never get the time to do because of game release scheduelling preventing that. I actually really like when there are not AAA jamborees, as I can work on videos I care about, niche topics, tech focus, or do something rare like Vision 2020 on The Witcher 2 or the Star Citizen miniseries.

Different of course for my colleagues, but I think John also likes it most when he can dedicate himself to DF Retro and not AAA manshoot walking simulator 67.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
An Xbox One X level / better GPU combined with a Zen CPU would still be a pretty powerful machine for 1080p gaming. If they can get a good price point for it then I see it doing well.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What is surprising me most in this video is that a 7 year old GPU setup at the same TF is getting almost the exact same performance sans a few fps as a brand new GPU.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly seems achievable based on the results!

I think a lower spec machine that targets 1080p/60fps is totally valuable after the last-gen. Combine a reduced power GPU with AI upscaling, VRS, capable CPU, and other tricks and you have yourself a very neat machine.

It'd make a killing at a $299 price right out of the gate.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
ITT people who don't understand the purpose of lockheart. At the risk of taking the bait and assuming it's not malicious ignorance here we go.

lockheart is made to replace the one s and x consoles and unify the next gen ecosystem behind the ssd and 60hz target it might have raytracing cores. It will however only output at 1080p or max 1440p. This allows a price point of 299-349 - what the one x would discount to.

This won't neuter anything, think of it like the third party switch ports. Consoles haven't been neutered but the switch has had to deal with ports that severely reduce processing effects to get them to run.

TLDR: cheap next gen console that runs mid range 1080p @60hz

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Lockhart will hurt games despite people's fears. devs will just scale games down to 1080p while all the features intact
The video goes into this even, but people will keep acting like it will hurt games somehow, even though the entire idea is to run next games at a lower res. Microsoft isn't stupid, they aren't going to put a GPU into lockhart that won't be capable of the exact same stuff as XSX and PS5 at a lower resolution, but people get so caught up on teraflops and don't even bother to think about how the GPUs are being used.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who does not own a 4k tv and doesn't plan to buy a new tv till my current one breaks, I am certainly more interested in a lower cost / lower spec machine for a lower resolution. Sounds like if games on Series X target 4k then they will play fine on a 1080p TV. Sounds good to me. Sign me up.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All i know is I have a huge list of "wish videos" that I want to do that I almost never get the time to do because of game release scheduelling preventing that. I actually really like when there are not AAA jamborees, as I can work on videos I care about, niche topics, tech focus, or do something rare like Vision 2020 on The Witcher 2 or the Star Citizen miniseries.

Different of course for my colleagues, but I think John also likes it most when he can dedicate himself to DF Retro and not AAA manshoot walking simulator 67.
i remember you said you gonna do similar videos for far cry 3 and witcher 3? Whenever theres free time of course

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. if the idea is to run 4k games at 1080p then surely a 3 tflops gpu would do. but it never works like that in console space.

with consoles, devs arent starting with a 3 tflops benchmark and leaving the rest of the 9 tflops just for pixel pushing. thats just wishful thinking. most games next gen will be 1440p-4kcb anyway. devs will do everything in their power to push graphical effects over pixels. so what happens to a port of a 1440p game that now needs to run on a console 1/3rd as powerful?

the switch is a great example of this. if you want to run games at ridiculously low resolutions with half of the effects missing then sure lcokhart is your console.

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I think having cheaper / premium hardware disparity is a really good model for generating a userbase and who are we kidding? There will obviously be at least one interim machine before a new Xbox line anyway.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

personally, i prefers the DF retro especially those games in the mid 90s/early 2000s where the same game title on different platforms are different games altogether.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a 4tf GPU in 2027. Those who think it will be fine are looking at it right now. But in the course of the entire generation it certainly wont be enough. Specially that a lot of games might aim for reconstructed 4K over native 4k for the XSX and PS5. Meaning they arent going to downgrade from native 4k on those to 1080p on Lockhart leaving a lot less wiggle room
It'll work excellently if it's intended to be a 1080p console alongside the Series X. I'd buy one for my wife in a heartbeat.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Terrible strategy by MS and continues to show they don't get the console market. They are trying to cover all markets but end up out pricing themselves with series X and no one will want a 4tf machine. It's going to be just like this gen.

I've always hated the idea of two boxes on launch, I don't mind a pro version later but during launch you just fragment your core and the 4tf box just limits what you can do. If you can't ray trace with it are devs going to have to use a baked solution? There goes the benefit and reduced development time. Sorry I can't watch the video right now but I'll watch it shortly.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
richard says the design target for lockhart is 1440p 60fps.
that will be hard to hit even for current gen games.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
This board would do well to remember not everyone is rich and can justify high prices for video game boxes and 65" 4K displays.