• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
THere is no such thing as a "PC 30 FPS" - if anything, PC 30 fps has probably lower latency than the equivalent on a console.
Its just been my personal experience that playing games on PC at 30fps feels way more janky and uncomfortable than something like Spider-man or Driveclub on PS4. To me 60fps is pretty much mandatory on PC.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Doesn't this game use TAA like Other UE4 titles? Even at 1080p Gears 4/5 look decent aliasing wise.

Again Gears 5 is basically never "60fps" during combat. All these games on console are CPU limited, they probably wouldn't be hitting locked 60 at any resolution.
It is often. Not never

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Its just been my personal experience that playing games on PC at 30fps feels way more janky and uncomfortable than something like Spider-man or Driveclub on PS4. To me 60fps is pretty much mandatory on PC.
You play on AMD driver or something? Use kb +m? Play with motion blur?
PC 30 fps is the exact same in term sof frame presentation, must be some sort of subjective difference.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
PC 30 fps is the exact same in term sof frame presentation, must be some sort of subjective difference.

I had similar experience when gaming on PC. Despite trying out multiple options.

You can even google: "pc 30 fps feels worse" and there should be some other discussions about it.

It's possible this is mostly due to K/M vs Controller.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yup AMD driver with good old 290X lol, with no motion blur. But I remember this was also echoed by few other people in one of threads here, that 30fps games on consoles try to sort of "smooth" it out with motion blur and what not, while on PC the control is in user's hands and most people don't do a good job of smoothing it out. And that 30fps footage on 1X does not look smooth at all compared to something like Destiny 2 on 1X.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yup AMD driver with good old 290X lol, with no motion blur. But I remember this was also echoed by few other people in one of threads here, that 30fps games on consoles try to sort of "smooth" it out with motion blur and what not, while on PC the control is in user's hands and most people don't do a good job of smoothing it out. And that 30fps footage on 1X does not look smooth at all compared to something like Destiny 2 on 1X.
The AMD driver does not have half refresh rate vsync - so that would be a big hurdle for most users.
As you mention, motion blur is per game and per user selectable
And a controller "hides" (poorly though IMO) the latency of 30 fps by already being an imprecise control implement in its conception.

But yeah, this footage of BL3 looks poor because it is not actually a real proper 30 fps in general.
Damn. PC version it is.

Honestly, if you have the choice, why wouldn't this always be the answer?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Except that it is for the most part, and it holds it out far,far better then Borderlands 3 or similar games in ''performance mode''.

No modern game is gonna be a ''locked 60 fps'' on the consoles because there will be parts and encounters where the framerate will dip no matter what.

I missed a word, meant "heavier" combat. We never get locked 60 because of the CPU bottleneck. On PC 1080p literal locked 60fps isn't hard even with modest CPUs from 3 or 4 years ago. I reckon next generation it will be more common because the balance between CPU and GPU resources will be better.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The AMD driver does not have half refresh rate vsync - so that would be a big hurdle for most users.
As you mention, motion blur is per game and per user selectable
And a controller "hides" (poorly though IMO) the latency of 30 fps by already being an imprecise control implement in its conception.

But yeah, this footage of BL3 looks poor because it is not actually a real proper 30 fps in general.
That makes sense, thanks.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It is amazing just how frame-y that 30 fps looks on XOX and PS4 (it gave me a headache while looking at it) compared to games like GoW, Uncharted, HZD, Quantum Break, Spuderman, Forza Horizon (in 4k Mode), Deus Ex MD, etc. The lack of motion blur allied allied to inconsistent frame times (when it does happen) is a recipe for inducing motion sickness/headache for me. In some ways, kind of reminds me of AC Odyssey and TLoU LB with 30fps cap on Pro.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that they might've just taken the "settings" from the base consoles that they brought up in the video is pretty baffling. Anticipating their video comparing all 4 console versions to see if this was true or not.

The same thing happened with Monster Hunter World. Xbox One X has base Xbox One drawbacks like less foliage draw distance than the PS4 versions.

Last edited:

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I had similar experience when gaming on PC. Despite trying out multiple options.

You can even google: "pc 30 fps feels worse" and there should be some other discussions about it.

It's possible this is mostly due to K/M vs Controller.

I've also had the same experiences and I use a controller on a PC that is also connected to a TV. By all accounts it should be the same, but it isn't always and I'm not sure why. The phenomenon has even been discussed on this very forum once or twice in the past.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
At least the base PS4 version looks solid according with the VGTech video.

PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.

PS4 Pro in the performance mode renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 Pro when outputting at 2160p in the resolution mode renders at a native resolution of 3200x1800.

PS4 Pro when outputting at 1080p in the resolution mode currently renders at a native resolution of 1600x900. Note that this mode seems to run at a solid 30fps like the base PS4.
Eh?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I've also had the same experiences and I use a controller on a PC that is also connected to a TV. By all accounts it should be the same, but it isn't always and I'm not sure why. The phenomenon has even been discussed on this very forum once or twice in the past.
I sometimes get the "PC 30FPS feels worse" sentiments as well but after a bit of thought, it's easy to realise they often come from a mixture of these things:

1) The knowledge that PC version can go beyond 30FPS, when playing on console you just accept whatever framerate it is as you can't do anything about it. This one gets progressively worse if you've actually seen the game running at 30+ FPS yourself.
2) Using Kb/m at 30FPS
3) Sitting close to the monitor, the 30FPS juddery movement is more noticeable that up close.
4) In some cases it's frametime, which can obviously be solved easily

Basically except for frametime I think it's all subjective and placebo effects.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Performance certainly look rough.
Dynamic resolution and temporal upscaling are now part of the UE4, really hope more developers will use them in future.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Dark1x and Dictator

Did you guys set your group to Local and disable social notifications? Doing that may improve performance since the game isn't trying to match you with other players or stream in notifications from friends.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Haven't watched the video yet but surely they dont say X1X Resolution mode is the preferred mode...It's technically 30 fps but without any kind of smoothing it feels like a really rough 30fps.

Overall the IQ and Performance of the game is dissapointing. Feels like Im playing a TellTale FPS game.
Does it make it feel like it was written by TellTale Borderlands game, if so, I maybe change the settings....

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I'm playing off SSD on a One X in performance mode and I have no gripes. Admittedly, I don't play too many games at 60fps, so maybe I just don't know any better. All the same, calling the game unplayable on the Pro/X is hyperbole, surely?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
How is it that x1x has lower foilege and worse filtering than the ps4 honest question?
If you watched the video and got that then surely you'd also know why it is like that seeing they mention it in the very sentence that it's likely because X is simply using the same settings as base but at higher resolution.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why didn't used 4k CBR on Pro? I really don't get it some developers. If this games runs like this on pro with native 1800p, that's for sure in 4k CBR would be locked 30fps. Jesus Christ what a weird port.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yup, performance mode is the only way on PS4 Pro for me. Definitely hope they are able to further improve the framerate, getting closer to the 60fps target more often. It's not perfect at the moment, but definitely muuuuch better and way more playable than the resolution mode.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Honestly, if you have the choice, why wouldn't this always be the answer?

My mate plays on PC a lot but when it comes to games like Destiny and this

5b2fefb9fae96f45b7000002.jpeg

He either double dips or plays with us on PS4/Xbox.

Actually he's a member here.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Res mode on the Xbox One X is almost unplayable its hangs all the time sometimes for like 3 seconds or more. I don't agree with Tom and DF about the graphics not being good, the game looks amazing and I love the style.

No it doesn't. Not in my experience. It's very solid in resolution mode. If it's hanging that is either down to your network, the games connectivity bugs or some other fault.

I'm level 16 and it's rock solid for me. Not noticed any drops since I turned off social notifications. Admittedly before then it was horrible.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Sounds like both versions need improvements. There's no reason for a asset to be less on the more powerful system. It's actually a little strange and sounds like they didn't really take advantage of the hardwaee then.

Yeah what kind of shit is that? At least let the two be on par then if they don't want to bother with taking advantage of the hardware . But the more powerful system is actually a little behind now? Come on now. No excuse for that.

I doubt its intentional. It seems like optimization for the consoles was rushed so I wouldn't be surprised if in the next couple months things changed dramatically. Like if the Pro can't handle that resolution it should be lowered to provide a stable experience. Same goes for all performance modes and the Xbox One X should get the better assets as well.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so surprised that this run like this. Borderlands 2 new DLC is also really problematic when there is a lot going on the screen.
It just feels like this old consoles are giving up now, we need new hardware that specially shooter games can move forward without compromises.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm level 28, on Eden-6, playing on a PS4 Pro/ Performance mode with HDR on and FOV set to 100. Unless things get really hairy and crazy, it's pretty much at 60 fps.

As Skittles and myself have mentioned earlier, turn off Social notifications and set your play session to Local only. You should get a noticeable boost in performance. I would definitely want to see that tested.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I doubt its intentional. It seems like optimization for the consoles was rushed so I wouldn't be surprised if in the next couple months things changed dramatically. Like if the Pro can't handle that resolution it should be lowered to provide a stable experience. Same goes for all performance modes and the Xbox One X should get the better assets as well.

I haven't watched the video myself because I want to go in fresh as much as possible. But how "bad" does it look on X in terms of assets? How noticeable is it really?

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I hate it when people do this, but I'm going to be "that" guy. I've been playing BL3 on my XB1X in performance mode, and it's been great. I've got about 5-6 hours of time in and I haven't had any major issues. The graphics look good to me and the frames have been smooth. I'm playing it off of an external SSD, so maybe that helps.

I have heard that co-op tends to be the biggest problem and I haven't done any co-op yet, so we'll see. I'm supposed to play with a friend tonight.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
No it doesn't. Not in my experience. It's very solid in resolution mode. If it's hanging that is either down to your network, the games connectivity bugs or some other fault.

I'm level 16 and it's rock solid for me. Not noticed any drops since I turned off social notifications. Admittedly before then it was horrible.

You're playing it on the One X? It doesn't hang so much when in performance mode, having tons of issues in Res mode and my network is unrestricted 70 MB/s so I don't think it can be that. I'll try turning off the social nonsense mind :)

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You're playing it on the One X? It doesn't hang so much when in performance mode, having tons of issues in Res mode and my network is unrestricted 70 MB/s so I don't think it can be that. I'll try turning off the social nonsense mind :)

Yep. I have same feel that DF article does. It feels fine to me. Like solid. The first part with social stuff on was horrid mind. Not sure if it's just early game is poorly optimised or that the social trick works....

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Would it make a difference with either resolution/ performance mode, if I force the pro to 1080p (with/without SS)?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
At least the base PS4 version looks solid according with the VGTech video.

Eh?

PS4 Pro when outputting at 1080p in the resolution mode currently renders at a native resolution of 1600x900. Note that this mode seems to run at a solid 30fps like the base PS4.

Resolution mode on the PS4 Pro is 1600x900? That can't be correct.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

Resolution mode on the PS4 Pro is 1600x900? That can't be correct.

VG Tech says it's a bug in the comments for the video. It's outputting like a base PS4 in resolution mode with supersampling off, but outputting at 1080p in performance mode.

But there also seems to be a bug affecting performance mode that requires a restart. Their retest shows much improved performance in performance mode (consistent 60 that only dips to high 50s), but they don't specify if supersampling was on or not.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for bumping but wanted to check in to see if there is any kind of patch coming for this? Game runs terribly in both performance and resolution mode on the One X.