• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
If I finish my replay of 1&2 before the Steam version releases, it seems like the X1X on resolution mode is the way to go. Love me some Borderlands.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I experience the exact same thing om My PS4 Pro :/
Yeah, it's really annoying. Maybe it can be patched or something

30fps with zero motion blur basically never looks good. Like everything there's a variation between the quality and also a balancing act with how much you use. Gears 5 have nice motion blur for example but in Control it looked awful. Some games have awful ghosting from the AA they use such as Fable 3 and Halo Reach.
I played control and it was really turned up on that game. Still, it didn't bother me much. I guess I like the effect heh

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it insane that people would prefer to play this game at 30fps as opposed to 50-60fps. It's still so much smoother even with the dips. I tried the resolution mode and it feels choppier than most other 30fps games I've played.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I find it insane that people would prefer to play this game at 30fps as opposed to 50-60fps. It's still so much smoother even with the dips. I tried the resolution mode and it feels choppier than most other 30fps games I've played.

The 30fps option is damn near unplayable even compared to most other 30fps games. It's very choppy with no smoothing out of the frame rate at all. The performance mode may have dips but it's still so much smoother to play.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Can't wait for next gen with better CPUs. None of these "60fps" modes on the Pro consoles seem to be able even get close to a locked 60 in demanding titles outside of walking around when there's nothing happening.
High end PCs are struggling with the game as well, and it's due to the GPU rather than the CPU.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it seemed a little choppy at times in the pro at 1080 performance but wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Glad I'm holding out for pc

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
The PC version sounds like an even bigger mess so there's no doubt there are some e=serious optimisation issues going on here. We've seen similar issues with basically every "60fps" performance mode in recent times outside of something like Shadow of the Colossus.

Borderlands 2 was, and still is, notorious for being poorly optimized and a huge CPU hog. You would think since it's been 7 years since Borderlands 2 released they would have properly optimized the game? I guess not.

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 2 was, and still is, notorious for being poorly optimized and a huge CPU hog. You would think since it's been 7 years since Borderlands 2 released they would have properly optimized the game? I guess not.
well, they did say they made a late shift to UE4 thus scrapping all their work they had on past games. Makes me think they just ran out of time

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lighting issue with this game on xbox? When it's night, I can't see anything. If I turn the brightness up, I'm blinded when it's daylight
Same. On the first planet I would use night time to get up and stretch/get a drink/bathroom break until it turned daylight again because running or driving around outside was useless, couldn't see a thing.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
- Higher density of foliage on Pro
- Higher level of anisotropic filtering on Pro

- Performance mode on both machines usually 50-60 and down to mid 40s with vehicles
- Resolution mode both 1800p, XBX almost locked to 30fps with rare 29fps dips. Pro 23-30fps (often at 28fps)

They think devs should be able to improve the framerate like they did in their previous game.

Last edited:

qssm

Oct 26, 2017

- Performance mode on both machines usually 50-60 and down to mid 40s with vehicles
- Resolution mode both 1800p, XBX almost locked to 30fps with rare 29fps dips. Pro 23-30fps (often at 28fps)

Also something to note that they tested only the early portions of the game. It will probably throw much more enemies and whatnot later on, so the perfromance will probably get worse the later you get in the game.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

They think devs should be able to improve the framerate like they did in their previous game.

Thanks. I don't see why this is so bad like some claim.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this game use TAA like Other UE4 titles? Even at 1080p Gears 4/5 look decent aliasing wise.

Again Gears 5 is basically never "60fps" during combat. All these games on console are CPU limited, they probably wouldn't be hitting locked 60 at any resolution.
Gears is almost always 60 fps during combat, the fuck you talking about.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Weird, so am I better off with PS4 Pro over One X on this one? I will go with resolution mode. I really don't understand why the Pro would be ahead?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game really is a mess on consoles. Game barely looks better than BL2 compared to the generational leaps of other consoles.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game really is a mess on consoles. Game barely looks better than BL2 compared to the generational leaps of other consoles.
It's gotta be the art style, right? Like, how do people keep posting this.

Tehcnically it's OBVIOUSLY miles ahead of BL2.

Obviously it should run better, I don't think it's where it should be for sure, but it is ABSOLUTELY a current gen game.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Obviously it should run better, I don't think it's where it should be for sure, but it is ABSOLUTELY a current gen game.

No joke, when I was watching the DF video I thought they were doing a comparison to BL2 and was waiting for the BL3 footage to come in... it took me a few minutes to realize that it was BL3 to begin with. The art style aside, the animations looked very canned and last gen - animations this gen have become much more reactive and sophisticated this gen, especially hit reactions and death animations but also how characters are affected by the environment, but this seems like it was using the same animations as before. And yeah, visually it still looks ugly and the way moving parts on the meshes look just looks like a low budget game. Sure, there are more modern rendering techniques at play here (especially lighting), but the assets really do the engine a disservice. Even John says the game does not feel like a massive leap forward in visual quality.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Thanks. I don't see why this is so bad like some claim.
That post over-simplifies just how poor the framerate is.

The only way to play with a consistent framerate between the two is the One X in resolution mode, and even then that's 30. In performance mode, both never reach 60FPS, and drop frames like crazy (particularly the Pro), sitting typically in the low/mid 50s.

Resolution mode on the Pro is dismal, and seldom hits 30FPS, regularly reaching 23fps in combat.

It's definitely in the range where it's distinctly noticeable.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I guess DF are trolls/blind people now considering they weren't too impressed with the technical advancements of BL3 over the predecessors. (just echoing the dumb crap that some people in the OT were throwing at people)

This game is in a shoddy technical state on all platforms.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
That post over-simplifies just how poor the framerate is.

The only way to play with a consistent framerate between the two is the One X in resolution mode, and even then that's 30. In performance mode, both never reach 60FPS, and drop frames like crazy (particularly the Pro), sitting typically in the low/mid 50s.

Resolution mode on the Pro is dismal, and seldom hits 30FPS, regularly reaching 23fps in combat.

It's definitely in the range where it's distinctly noticeable.

Oh. I hope they will optimise FPS then even by few more frames.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

After playing 10 hours of it so far, I haven't seen anything that I wouldn't have expected out of BL2 (though I played on PC, I'm playing on PS4 Pro right now). It might be because I'm sure it's on the same engine. There's no obvious stand outs in BL2 to BL3 for me compared to other generational leaps out of AAA games.

Even if it is the art style, there's still visuable improvements that can be made. I'm not seeing that. I'm sure there's technical improvements.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I reached a point in the game where the FPS was getting pretty bad on performance mode (Xbox One X). Tried checking out resolution mode, and I'm sorry, that's just not an option. The game just becomes sluggish.

I'll tolerate the occasional FPS drops, but it's kind of lame that your performance mode ain't really all that.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Again Gears 5 is basically never "60fps" during combat. All these games on console are CPU limited, they probably wouldn't be hitting locked 60 at any resolution.

Except that it is for the most part, and it holds it out far,far better then Borderlands 3 or similar games in ''performance mode''.

No modern game is gonna be a ''locked 60 fps'' on the consoles because there will be parts and encounters where the framerate will dip no matter what.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
I love my pro but I'm rather pissed when I buy a game on the x and the pro is the better looking version, that just shouldn't really happen given the specs. Again not a slight on my pro it's just simple facts that shouldn't really happen.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Weird that the PS4 pro version has better textures and texture filtering, along with more foliage.
Why didnt they reduce that in line it with the Xbox one x version so that the framerate can be more stable?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
They said Gearbox fixed Battleborn to run way better with a patch so there's hope that we get a bunch of fixes eventually. Also the PS4 Pro version makes no sense because there's a slight asset difference between Pro/X and its better on the Pro but the Pro can't hold a locked 30 in resolution mode. Why would they do that? Seems rushed so hopefully Gearbox has some fixes in the works.

Its the preferred mode since performance mode varies so wildly. I haven't had an issue with resolution mode on the X. I went from playing Gears 1 and 2 to (30fps games) to BL3 without an issue. Now if you're staring at 60fps for a while, yea 30fps looks broken.

Sounds like both versions need improvements. There's no reason for a asset to be less on the more powerful system. It's actually a little strange and sounds like they didn't really take advantage of the hardwaee then.

I love my pro but I'm rather pissed when I buy a game on the x and the pro is the better looking version, that just shouldn't really happen given the specs. Again not a slight on my pro it's just simple facts that shouldn't really happen.
Weird that the PS4 pro version has better textures and texture filtering, along with more foliage.
Why didnt they reduce that in line it with the Xbox one x version so that the framerate can be more stable?

Yeah what kind of shit is that? At least let the two be on par then if they don't want to bother with taking advantage of the hardware . But the more powerful system is actually a little behind now? Come on now. No excuse for that.

Last edited:

dose

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure it is. Another example of the aging hardware in consoles is the fact that control runs like garbage. Even after a recent patch, the game struggles to maintain THIRTY FPS. This is a CPU bound game as well.
It's not that at all. They're either aiming too high or they have a badly optimised game, and seeing as it runs poorly even on the X One X I'd go with the latter.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been playing on X1X in performance mode on a monitor mostly so I decided to run with performance mode. Looks a little assy and runs mostly okayish. Disappointing.

Visuals are good in Resolution mode. 30fps is fine aswell. Might go to that mode.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Glad I held off a purchase, decided to go back and play The Pre-Sequel which I've hardly touched.

I'm truly sick of these unoptimised, poorly performing games being released at full price and then patched weeks after launch. If you buy on day one, by the time the patch arrives to fix basic performance issues you've usually moved on to something else. Control, Days Gone, Horizon, they all got much improved weeks and months after launch. It will be the same with Borderlands 3. Just no point jumping in at ÂŁ60 digital. It's not even really the money, it's that you're getting a poorly performing game that you know should and will get fixed.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Thought about buying this spontaneously, even after deciding against it because I have already too f'n much to play, but I have a 2 week vacation now and though, hmmm maybe.
But holy f'n shit, what a mess, specially on the X. Less foliage, worse textures and worse filtering, what the heck?
And then an unstable 60fps mode that looks like ass and an unoptimized 30fps mode without any motion blur at all, awful.
Seems like they don't want my money.

Last edited:

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
since they decided to remove split screen from the PC version (which no reviewer gave a fuck about), I'm forced to go with ps4 anyway

hope it isn't too bad

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Resolution mode on the X is way to go with social notifications turned off. I find that is great. But I think the matchmaking and social notifications seem to periodically tank the frame rate for some reason.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
The Res mode on the Xbox One X is almost unplayable its hangs all the time sometimes for like 3 seconds or more. I don't agree with Tom and DF about the graphics not being good, the game looks amazing and I love the style.