• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all the news coming out today about the projects Riot is creating, there are slim to no users even mentioning their status in the industry. Instead, each post is about the shiny new thing and how cool it is.

This is especially infuriating for me given that there is all of this current uproar over Blizzard and right here we have evidence that gamers are just going to forget about it in two months and go right back to the status quo.

I can't honestly expect to believe that the people protesting Blizzard actually give a shit right now when they can't even keep track of other, similarly serious issues in the industry. At what point can we expect people to follow through with their scorn over a company? Will it always just be temporary? Will we just wind up normalizing this shit over and over because we have the attention spans of fucking goldfish?

I'm sad, Era.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time passes, people forget about past grievances as new ones come to mind.

Wargroove topics are showing up again and at most you'll get one person saying "hey didn't Chucklefish fuck over their employees like gigantic bastards?"

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Are you honestly surprised ?

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Nah, I remember it. It's what's keeping me from getting too excited about all of their projects.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry we're mad at Blizzard now.

Once upon a time people were upset at Naughty Dog too.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Short answer: probably.

Longer answer: too many folks don't actually care and implicitly condone it because they want their games.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
For some reason gamers can only afford to protest against one company at a time. If anyone tries to tell them you can protest against multiple companies they spam you with that iPhone Comic meme.

I guarantee the moment Blizzard announces Diablo 4 and the Overwatch PvE Expansion all will be forgiven.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Blizzard could reschedule their announcements for, like, six months from now, when everyone's lost interest in their BS, they would.

Once you hit a certain size, "weather the storm" is the best response to PR problems.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
No. But that's not going to prevent me from looking at their announcements or talking about them

investing money remains to be seen

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a double sided coin. I know about the abuse, but I also know a lot of Rioters who enjoy their job and are really happy that their projects are finally being announced.

But yeah, lets make sure we tack onto the announcements that HEY. THEY ANNOUNCED TFT FOR MOBILE. DON'T FORGET RIOT TREATS EMPLOYEES LIKE SHIT.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In reality most people don't care enough about issues push them away from that game they want to play.

Feels like this a lot.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't forgotten. The 'problem' is that I don't like their games anyways so I don't feel like avoiding their games actually means anything.

Not to mention I'm friends with some of those employees so it feels kind of shitty to last out at Riot in general.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait until Diablo 4/Next WoW expansion gets announced at Blizzcon. Same thing will happen.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I actually did forget.

I mean I don't play any of their games anyway but I imagine that many who do willingly forgot.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible that the people who were upset with Riot are no longer interested (or never were) in their upcoming products, and would therefore not be participating in those threads?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Will we just wind up normalizing this shit over and over because we have the attention spans of fucking goldfish?

Probably. I never care about anything Riot does as far as developing games goes because I don't support them in any way, but even then I find it pretty hard to maintain a 24/7 outrage high, and I'm me.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
No, we just won't let a few bad people ruin the amazing work that others are doing.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Rockstar was exposed for treating it's workers like dirt but a good chunk of y'all bought RDR2 anyway?

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a double sided coin. I know about the abuse, but I also know a lot of Rioters who enjoy their job and are really happy that their projects are finally being announced.

But yeah, lets make sure we tack onto the announcements that HEY. THEY ANNOUNCED TFT FOR MOBILE. DON'T FORGET RIOT TREATS EMPLOYEES LIKE SHIT.
I mean, should I not expect that when blizzcon announcements actually happen? Would I be off base if I figured you'd be one of the ones to do it given the amount of blizzard threads you made already? This isn't me complaining about your threads either, it's more me being somewhat surprised at your comment.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're asking for OP. You want people to post Riot's rap sheet in every thread about League of Legends? Some people care and boycott them, some people don't care, and some people do care but still want to give an opinion on the topic at hand I.e. a specific game.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
People forgot about Riot. They forgot about THQ. Forgot about Kotaku. Forgot about pretty much any person or company that had to issue an (half-assed) apology or retraction. Some have probably already forgot about what Blizzard did too.

You shouldn't be surprised at this.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Nope, & they're owned by Tencent so I don't support them.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
random internet man said while being surrounded by consumerist paraphernalia.

I mean he's not wrong tho
That's literally the point. It's from a satirical podcast call the nerd crew. They blatantly shill for Disney and marvel the whole time while willingly passing it off as their opinions. It is meant to make fun of the podcasts that are just corporate hype dens.
People forgot about Riot. They forgot about THQ. Forgot about Kotaku. Forgot about pretty much any person or company that had to issue an (half-assed) apology or retraction. Some have probably already forgot about what Blizzard did too.

You shouldn't be surprised at this.
I think it's less that people forget and more that basically nobody cares beyond a few thoughts and prayers tweets. The moment that a game comes out that they want, most people won't actually stick to their proclaimed boycott, because it's actually inconvenient in the now and not in the hypothetical future. It's great because you get to have it both ways. You get the gratification of feeling good about taking a stand against bad things while also getting the gratification of playing what you want because a bit of time has passed and nobody is scrutinizing your purchases anyway

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think them being owned by Tencent and therefore China is much worse than their abuse of their employees (which is bad as well).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
All companies are shitty. Some are shittier than others. You weigh how ethical under capitalism you want to be and live with it.

I don't play Riot games anyway so it doesn't affect me, but that's the problem, innit?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
With all the news coming out today about the projects Riot is creating, there are slim to no users even mentioning their status in the industry. Instead, each post is about the shiny new thing and how cool it is.

This is especially infuriating for me given that there is all of this current uproar over Blizzard and right here we have evidence that gamers are just going to forget about it in two months and go right back to the status quo.

I can't honestly expect to believe that the people protesting Blizzard actually give a shit right now when they can't even keep track of other, similarly serious issues in the industry. At what point can we expect people to follow through with their scorn over a company? Will it always just be temporary? Will we just wind up normalizing this shit over and over because we have the attention spans of fucking goldfish?

I'm sad, Era.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: There's no reason why you shouldn't remind people of Riot's deplorable working conditions every time this comes up. People have short memory spans, so make sure it stays at the forefront of their minds when they think about the brand of Riot Games.

It's one thing not to support them, it's another to make sure that everyone knows why you don't support them.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're neat projects!

Still not playing any of them for the reasons above! I feel like you can still say both of these things.