• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Sony or anyone else stop posting gameplay material that will never happen?

• No, I like to believe in the dream and see the potential

Votes: 251 47.4%
  • Yes, I don't want to be lied to

Votes: 279 52.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
There's no downgrade, yet, if we are not comparing the same lighting condition or weather or time of day. Or at least there's nothing as some would want me to believe. Watch Dogs first reveal was something else not even matched by today's standards on PC or next gen

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
while I agree with most people here that it still looks fantastic, I don't know why so many of you get so upset about this thread?
It's a gaming forum and this thread discusses the game and games development and marketing, you can just ignore this thread.
if some people care about this topic, let them discuss it.
The discussion would have merit if gameplay Demos and trailers from the last 2-3 months would have shown the game in a vastly superior graphical shape then the final product. That is not the case. So all the "false advertisment", "lying" arguments are just bullshit.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
How you can use the most impressive looking game on PS4 as an example with a straight face is beyond me. But I see that you believe it to be downgraded to hell so I'm just gonna add this trash thread to my ignore pile.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Ubi doesn't really mislead any more. I dont think Sony do either, they just overshot a bit this gen. And here you are just talking about two studios. Here are the games that met or surpassed their original reveals:
  • God of War
  • Horizon
  • Spider-man
  • Order 1886
  • R&C
  • GR2
As for GoT and TLoU2 though, even as someone who cares a lot about visuals, the downgrades don't bother me. Those are two of the best looking games this gen.

The WD situation was different. The difference in visuals was huge.

OP seems bad faith though.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Look what happens when they put out games with performance dips as well. Can't win
Yeah like might as well just not even show the game till it's beta. It's crazy. Like it's great if they meet their target but various things can make them not totally reach target visuals. They can have all the disclaimers When showing vertical slices and people are crying downgrade.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is a clear downgrade in Last of Us, but it's definetly more excusable given how impressive it still looks. I still want those torch light effects, better fire, environment interactions, facial models and contact shadows ND!

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
While TLOU2 was downgraded in some areas, it was also improved in others and overall looked better than the E3 2018, almost like it was a game in development. To mention it in the same sentence of Watch Dogs is ridiculous.

Ghost of Tsushima, on the other hand, is something else. Yes, GoT is one of the best looking open world games ever, however, the demo presented at E3 2018 easily destroyed RDR2 and presents for more detailed ground details and lighting and slightly improved foliage. Definitely a downgrade on the scale of Watch Dogs and The Witcher III, if not greater than.

OP
OP
Segafreak

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
This thread is a circle jerk of angry fanboys congratulating each other.

Also just because games still look impressive, doesn't mean there was no downgrade.

Alt? I've been a long time lurker since Gaf and to see this place morph into Gaf 2.0 has been disheartening

Childish comments like yours is why this place is becoming the same toxic swamp Gaf was. Luckily mods do not participate in this childish behavior like they used to on Gaf augmenting the toxicity.

You start the thread with a bad premise and end it with the hottest of takes.
There may be adjustements to graphics during development. Also maybe some demos don't have all effects, AI, etc. in place that also need to be processed.
I also think the focus on downgrades is always with games that are extremely good looking in the way they ship (TLOU2 is arguably the best looking game this gen, with the best animations ever). Also you always get shown material before release that represents the final product. Stop comparing shit to trailers/demos 2-3 years earlier.

What is the bad premise? The videos clearly show a certain degree of downgrades in effect. Why are we in denial? If somebody wants to refute the claims they can provide counter arguments and I'll stand corrected. Are the videos somehow doctored, are they fake? Games are in development indeed, but I rather take a game getting upgraded, looking better at launch than a target they never reach.

This shit is embarrassing.
The only thing embarrassing is you guys getting angry and personal. Somebody is not impressed with games, WOW "embarrassing"!

Holy shit, came to this thread to try and find a way to tell how awful OP and poll are, but this right here pretty much sums up how mediocre this forum has become.
Because somebody dare criticize forum darlings LOL!

Jan 3, 2019
while I agree with most people here that it still looks fantastic, I don't know why so many of you get so upset about this thread?
It's a gaming forum and this thread discusses the game and games development and marketing, you can just ignore this thread.
But what if I base my entire identity around a videogame company and perceive any mild criticism as a threat?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Childish comments like yours is why this place is becoming the same toxic swamp Gaf was. Luckily mods do not participate in this childish behavior like they used to on Gaf augmenting the toxicity.

What is the bad premise? The videos clearly show a certain degree of downgrades in effect. Why are we in denial? If somebody wants to refute the claims they can provide counter arguments and I'll stand corrected. Are the videos somehow doctored, are they fake? Games are in development indeed, but I rather take a game getting upgraded, looking better at launch than a target they never reach.

The only thing embarrassing is you guys getting angry and personal. Somebody is not impressed with games, WOW "embarrassing"!

Not exactly going for gold with this trolling are you.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wish we had this kind of defense when Witcher 3 and watchdogs downgrades happened

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. That Last of Us 2 video's thumbnail is peak clickbait. Also, what an embarrassing poll to accompany an embarrassing thread. OP clearly has a bone to pick and is hanging by a thread here.

OP, as a rule of thumb, your polling options shouldn't push an agenda. It makes everything feel like it is in bad faith.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Clear downgrades that's for sure, but both games still look great even on base PS4s.

But I agree, it would be cool if they could reveal these games more honestly. Then again, I never take reveal trailers as an accurate representation of the final product. I had a feeling GoT would be dialled down a little.

Wish we had this kind of defense when Witcher 3 and watchdogs downgrades happened

I know lol, night and day difference.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Also just because games still look impressive, doesn't mean there was no downgrade.

Yikes, I was going to give a serious response to this thread but after this reply it's pretty clear I can safely ignore.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020

Yup you're correct! out of my anger over the last few months of the terrible discourse this thread has produced I added nothing to the conversation, regardless how horrible I think this thread is I should do better

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Assuming that everyone criticizing the basis of your thread is a "fanboy" means that you yourself seem to have a clear and obvious bias.

I also did not say that it was "embarrassing" that you're not impressed with games. What's embarrassing is that you accused Sony of "lying to us" about The Last of Us Part II.

You then went on to make a common and ignorant claim about early next gen titles not impressing enough, which happens literally every generation.

Instead of looking into why downgrades happen, you made a thread to accuse developers of being liars. The idea of your thread is framed horribly.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
It's a Sony exclusive. There is no scenerio where the knives wouldn't be out.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Your post is embarrassing and you should be embarrassed how you frame it. You are making some of the worst threads and trolling on top of it.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I never saw a model like that while playing tlou2, what's with that video in the op?

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Can we finally stop it with these threads? Would people rather developers don't target good graphics just to not be "lied to"?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want your post to hold some water, why didn't you at least post some examples and a technical breakdown of the supposed downgrade?

DF did a TLOU2 breakdown and said the "downgrade" was minimum and hardly noticable. Also, how do you consider this a lie? There werent bullshit tech demos or CG trailers. Clearly both studios went as far as they could but obviously sacrifices had to be made.

All of Sony's 1st party teams went above and beyond this gen. To be worried about being lied too is laugable, but do you i guess.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

"everyone is wrong but me, y'all trolls"

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Calling out downgrades to 2 of the most visually impressive games of this gen is kinda pointless. I wish early footage of the games always matched the final product, but thats not how game development work. Some games get upgarded (GT Sport) other get downgraded, at the end of the day, games need to be optimized to the hardware so sometimes downgrades happens.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019

Your thread title is shit and poll even more so, try not to get so hurt at people calling you out over it. If you wanted a genuine discussion on the matter i'm sure you could have taken at least five seconds to come up with a more constructive way of leading into the topic and poll options that actually address the matter rather than pandering to your shitty, sensationalist opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is lying to you, downgrade or not. There are thousands of videos, articles and so on to give you the chance of making an informed decision before buying.

I hate this narrative of devs are lying, journos are paid of and so on, it just feeds in to this fucking narrative that "hardcore gamers" love.

Stop it for gods sake, things change but nobody is lying to you.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, these are clearly in engine renders just from a PC, that had to be scaled down during later development stages to work on certain hardware that is pretty old by today's standards. The fact that they still look so good is impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if both of these games got a PS5 release that looked at least as good as the original E3 demos.

So are those games downgraded? Absolutely. It is understandable? Yes.

In Ubisoft's cases, it was straight up bullshit, because there was no machine on earth that was going to make it look like that.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Is this some kind of a joke thread? Hasn't it been proven that TLOUSII released with better graphics than the ones shown during development? Same for pretty much ALL Sony titles. Every time there is a downgrade thread that immediately gets debunked.

I'm not sure about GoT's situation but it's definitely not some kind of Sony's habit.

I won't even bother commenting on the poll options.
How is it proven? There are some obvious removals on the lighting department, with many volumetric and dynamic effects cut. And the animations which were the biggest one. Yeah the game still looks great and among the best of the generation, but doesn't change the fact that the 2 of the features that got people doubting it could be real in fact weren't.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Calling out downgrades to 2 of the most visually impressive games of this gen is kinda pointless.

What end result looks like is 100% irrelevant for this kind discussions, graphical downgrade is graphical downgrade even if end product still looks good.

Just look at shit TW3 was dragged through back then, even when end game still looked really good for 2015.

So if "Graphics got downgraded!" is all one cares about then that is that, start the drag.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
What? Not when TLOU2 looks much better than anything else on that console or anything better than Ubisoft has ever released lmao

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The overall games look pretty much the same, without the absolutely perfect lighting, and in TLoU2's case the perfect models & animation. I think hoping the games would look like that on launch was a bit much, there's only so much you can do on PS4's ancient tech and what they did manage to achieve was almost magic.
Sure, the games do not look 1:1 to their initial reveal, but the final product in both cases look spectacular, and I don't think this thread is justified at all.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
Nobody is lying to you, downgrade or not. There are thousands of videos, articles and so on to give you the chance of making an informed decision before buying.

I hate this narrative of devs are lying, journos are paid of and so on, it just feeds in to this fucking narrative that "hardcore gamers" love.

Stop it for gods sake, things change but nobody is lying to you.

I am 100% on board with this mentality, this conversation is consistently infuriating.

It's too bad there's not more public facing info on the making of games, from a technical perspective. The amount of changes that have to happen through development can be mind boggling, and then people obsess over the most minute of those changes.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Don't give the slightest fuck to be honest.

They are games in development and things change, estimates can't be reached etc. They still look amazing so I don't care about comparing every minute detail from a two year old trailer I watched once.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Saying there was a downgrade of a game isn't even real criticism because downgrades are not faults (except in very rare circumstances) and are often necessary. Sure you can criticise what they chose to downgrade but complaining there was a downgrade at all is useless. Would you seriously rather the game look the same as it did and run like shit or be straight up cancelled?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the game will look the way it did in prior footage when enhanced for PS5 with regard to the lighting and reflections.

With that said, we are reaching a point of analyzing footage where the most inconsequential details can generate some very petty criticism, then sharp backlashes to that criticism.

This could all be discussed with better taste than the Ubisoft clickbait title.

Status
Not open for further replies.