• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
User warned: misleading thread title
Richard Leadbetter at 38:50 said:
Every single developer I've spoken to developing for PS5 has been evangelising how easy it is to work for, Its essentially the same development environment as PS4 and you scale up from there, for the new powers, the features and whatnot. I can't stress enough how happy developers seem to be with this situation

Richard Leadbetter at 39:45 said:
There is simply no doubt that the XSX on paper, the more powerful machine. However again, speaking to developers the development environment they are dealing with some people seem to be extremely happy with it, other people are having problems with it because they've moved away from what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK which is a more general environment for PC and for Xbox and even Xbox one is encompassed by the GDK

Information
mod edit: thread title edited for accuracy

Last edited by a moderator:

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I wonder what the deal with RE Village is then. It still seems weird to me to hear rumors about dev problems on PS5 for a game running on an engine already proven to have really good optimization.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
So having options is bad now? GDK is revolutionazing how we access our entertainment.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Isn't that quote in the title a bit misleading? He didn't say that and even states that some people seem extremely happy with the Xbox development.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
Does that potentially mean multiplatform games will be developed for PS5 first and foremost, because the environment is known and no big adjustments are needed?

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Quote doesn't really match title and seems more inflammatory than what was actually said

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
We've been hearing similar anecdotes from developers for a while now. I'm really happy this is the case for PS5. We've really come a long way from the hell that was developing for PS3.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it. He makes the point that the development environment on PS5 is similiar to the one of the PS4, which devs love.

Which also makes Dusks comments about RE8 very, very not believable.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Cerny wasn't kidding about it taking less than a month for PS4 developers to get up to speed with PS5.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
INB4 people try to interpret having to switch to the fantastic GDK as them having difficulties when the quote just says the PS5 Development kit is basically unchanged.

Quote doesn't say what the OP is implying at all

one

Nov 30, 2017
Devs would target Xbox Series S then scale it up for X, that would be the easiest way.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I can't wait for the first few face-offs, so we can finally move on.

Yeah I know it may not be for the best, it may become even more insufferable over here, but at least we'll have concrete things to compare/look at, instead of secondhand or thirdhand information (no matter how legit these are).

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Edited: clearly people misinterpreted I was speculating

Last edited:

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Just means that developers need to make some adjustments to the environment for Xbox development, but ultimately it's a good step as it will encompass the entirety of XBOX and PC in the future. Doesn't mean they're having a rough time developing for Xbox

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
thatsnoneofmy.jpg

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll really need to cool down with the misleading title lol.

Like damn. The title gives me a different perspective than the actual content said.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Lol. Terrible title.
The devs who've already moved to the new dev tools early are having a great time, and the devs who are late are having to learn stuff.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Missed the video saying DMC will have RT'ing, good to know

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Seems to be just a matter of the fact that they changed the whole development kit on Xbox so the tools and what not wouldn't transfer over but the PS5 one is basically just an evolution of PS4. Seems to be a relatively small gripe to me that will be fixed within a couple of years, but I am also not a game developer nor do I know any.

I wonder what the advantages are of the new GDK though other than that it helps deploy the code to the two Xbox systems and PC which would cause MS to switch to that. Or what the disadvantages are that would be angering developers at this stage...

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a better title might be "Devs seems mostly happy with PS5 while Xbox draws mixed reviews"

The OT is kinda inflammatory and misleading.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean Sony's messaging has been weird to say the least but I had no reason to doubt Cerny.
playstation-5-ps5.png

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This sounds like PS5 will be the lead developing platform even for games where the PC+XB versions are likely to outsell the PS5 version of a game... because: just port that PS5 to PC and use the performance headroom of the XBX over the PS5 to make it run as well as on PS5 without tweaking it to the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.