• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If ps5 DE is priced 399, I think xbss is a bad deal for the specs. That's a big if and I also understand what's inside those boxes.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
The id engineer says minimum specs are known and targeted during development and the game is designed around that. They don't make the game they want to make and see how far it can scale down with extra work.

Remedy puts their games on PC and its not like this is some new strategy seeing as how the One X and PS4 Pro exist. They'll just be doing the same thing they do now.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
That absolutely won't happen - but I wonder, based on how sales turn out, if some games after 2022 come out for Series X, PS5, and PC, while skipping the Series S altogether.
Will MS let them do that?
Seems like if they do then they break a promise to their consumers that bought the S and if they don't they risk allowing the S to hold back more technologically intensive games.

Surely, in a way, this situation is a good thing? It encourages efficient programming, which will also help games run better on Series X/PS5, and helps to rein in projects that are becoming wayyyy too ambitious for their own good. Especially with the current situation, spending 7+ years on a single project may no longer be commercially viable. Limits must be set.

If Nintendo can create a title like Breath of the Wild on the Switch, I really do not see how Series S will hold back a well-conceptualised, engineered and realistic project.

The absolute hottest take.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
XboxEra, but i'm trying to figure out what exactly it is. The only thing i know is that some people got tired of the Sony bias and Sony fanboys invading every Xbox threads. Even the Xbox OT thread ended up in console war, so mods had to sticky a warning. Some really embarrassing stuff.

Anyway i don't know if it's a sister site or what exactly it is. I'm trying to figure it out before i'm making a user there just to get a break from this place. Doesn't seem like you can use the same profile though.
lol that is a real site. I thought you were joking.

If last gen is any indicator things will get much much worse once Sony starts releasing details. I feel for the mods if they actually try to contain it.

Oct 27, 2017
The strategy at play here is to wave a box so cheap in people's faces they don't even consider the long term impacts of any compromises being made to hit that price point.

Its smart - but ultimately, like you say, muddies the water - because at the end of the day-the Series S is a cross-gen console.
How is this cross gen? It will play all the new system games.

Officer K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's... No, that won't happen. MS didn't design it to last 2 years, only to ditch it. We'll be stuck with it for the entire generation. That's the promise they've made to their consumers with this commitment.
I said "we'll start to see", meaning it won't happen right away of course. That what happens when you put out a console with (some) "outdated" components in it.
Games will surpass what the tech inside can handle and the focus will shift to XSX+PS5 base leading to a Pro version way later on.
Even if it'll take some time, it will happen.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the One S sell more than the One X? Why would that change now? Doesn't the cheaper version usually sell more than the more expensive one?
Yes. Different circumstances now. One S replaced the baseline system. One X was marketed as a pricier upgrade and came out a year later. XSX has thus far been marketed as the baseline system with XSS offered as a budget alternative releasing on the same day. The initial allure of next-gen has always been about fancy new equipment. If you can afford it, why settle for the gimped version?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Does he have an XSS?
Apparently the development kit for XSX is the same one you use for XSS. Also given that he works at Bethesda and Doom Eternal has already announced they are working on a next-gen patch the likelihood is pretty damn high.

If Bethesda didn't have access to Xbox development kits yet then Xbox clearly have bigger concerns.

Oct 30, 2017
The cheaper PS4 Slim and Xbox One S models have outsold their more powerful counterparts by a significant margin. I really can't see any reason to believe why the Series S won't become the most popular Xbox console this generation since, essentially, it's recreating a similar price dynamic to the one we have in the current gen right now but at the very beginning of the generation instead.
It's not the same thing.

The mid gen refreshes are just that. Refreshes. They are supposed to be for enthusiasts. They are not the base console.
The base consoles were built in mind to last 6-7 years with half decent performance.

Price isn't everything.

This would be the equivalent of a $250 dollar PS4 running at .8TF or so.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
While it's cool that the Series S exist, i can't stop thinking that it'll definitelly hold back the Series X over the years. It's great that we have more options and that more people will be able to enjoy the next generation games, but i can see Sony matching the Series S' price while having better specs in a few years.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The cheaper PS4 Slim and Xbox One S models have outsold their more powerful counterparts by a significant margin. I really can't see any reason to believe why the Series S won't become the most popular Xbox console this generation since, essentially, it's recreating a similar price dynamic to the one we have in the current gen right now but at the very beginning of the generation instead.
Pasting a response of mine to a different poster:

Yes. Different circumstances now. One S replaced the baseline system. One X was marketed as a pricier upgrade and came out a year later. XSX has thus far been marketed as the baseline system with XSS offered as a budget alternative releasing on the same day. The initial allure of next-gen has always been about fancy new equipment. If you can afford it, why settle for the gimped version?

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
I think Axel Gneiting is a bit delusional asking for 128GB RAM consoles, if you want 4 people buying your game because nobody can afford the hardware you could just develop your game exclusively for a RTX 3090 paired with 128GB RAM.

Many countries are going broke due to COVID in a couple of years, Xbox Series S cheap price may help a lot the videogame market.

You obviously didn't fully read what he said in his tweet then.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
While it's cool that the Series S exist, i can't stop thinking that it'll definitelly hold back the Series X over the years. It's great that we have more options and that more people will be able to enjoy the next generation games, but i can see Sony matching the Series S' price while having better specs in a few years.

In a few years the XSS will be below 200 dollars the PS4 is just at $200 dollars ...

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The RAM is clearly the bottleneck that developers will have to work around. But something had to be the trade-off to make next-gen to be affordable. It would suck to be a developer making next gen games if console sales happened to slump in the event of something like unprecedented unemployment in the US.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
No. How on earth did you get that idea?

The next gen (flagship) consoles have the smallest increase in RAM in the history of console generations. Only 2x. Obviously because of the SSD - they don't need the jump we've seen in previous gens. And it's a balancing act - greater cost allocated to the SSD, less cost allocated to the RAM.

For sure. Never said otherwise. But there's more space for those certain assets, because others don't need to be held in RAM. Just thinking of the Epic UE5 demo and what they are able to achieve with limited RAM thanks to asset streaming.

All that aside, I still think the XSS should have had 12gb. I guess they couldn't hit the desired price point with that though.

Just from your wording (though I didn't actually think you thought that).

It's all compromise anyway, time will tell if they trimmed the right bits.

I do think at least some of the dev criticism comes from the excitement of the new consoles being tarnished a bit by a lower spec model.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
The workload to make two separate and wholly different versions of the same game would be massive.
It doesn't require "two separate and wholly different versions" though, which is utter hyperbole. It requires them to optimise around a different GPU and RAM configuration, a process which you can guarantee MS will streamline as much as possible in their dev tools.

Will Series S be an additional hurdle and headache for devs? Sure. Will it significantly impact next-generation design? Remains to be seen, but given the crux of the upcoming generation is centred around SSDs and CPU improvements, the only major concessions to be made will likely be reducing graphical fidelity on the Series S.

Not disagreeing with dev takes either. Series S will obviously require extra work and resources, and like any rational human being or artist they want their workflow and tools to be as capable, efficient, and painless as possible.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm cringing fairly hard at people questioning developer takes and asking them to show proof of working on the hardware or whatever. Yikes.

This goes for when it happened with PS5 takes as well. I'm not sure if people realize this, but there is so little bias of any kind in the industry. People are just excited about furthering the medium. If you hear a developer either excited or concerned about stuff, it's usually for good reason. Let's hold up with asking for receipts whenever a developer has an opinion on something.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Why would PS4 and PS3 marketing have anything to do with what's going on now? The SSDs in general are game changers....not just Sony's.
No doubt, they're game changers. Sony's solution is on a completely different league though. It's absolutely the biggest difference between these consoles.

But back to what we were talking about, you claimed that that phrase was used primarily for PS4 users seeking to transition to PS5, why wouldn't "PS5 exclusive" suffice, as with any gen before this one? Why the specific "designed for PS5" phrase?

The phrase got reactions when the game was revealed as well... But I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Man, I can't imagine the Series S 2-3 years into the generation when games get much more demanding and there's even mid-gen console upgrades.

Theoretically, could we be looking at PS5pro and Xbox Pro in the 16-18TF range? The game between 4TF and 16-18TF is enormous.
It is nearly the same difference between xbox One and Xbox one X.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Can devs just say "nah, we're targeting the series x, whatever happens happens with the series s".

If the Series S has 75% of the Xbox install base then devs can't afford to ignore it.

The issue will be if devs are in crunch and they need to prioritise one of the Xbox SKUs. They are going to go with the bigger user base and perhaps the Series X version will not be as good.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Do people think that devs with Series X games in development haven't know about Series S the entire time? It has been reported as one of the modes that the devkit can run since it was sent out. This isn't a surprise to anyone actively developing a next-gen game for Xbox. They've known the target specs for a long time, and the final specs for a while as well.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Principal Engine Programmer @ id Software:

I don't get it. In the PC space there is all kinds of hardware games can run on. A game running on a 2080 with 16GB's of RAM will look and feel better than the same game on a 1060 with 8GB of RAM. Most games come to PC as well and the S and X has the same architecture. Only thing I can think of is that devs don't want the extra work. Can't blame them, but I think the S is going to sell like hotcakes.
It is mostly true now because there are less PC oriented game and it is more multiplatform now.
But ambitious titles like Crysis (at that time), Flight Simulator or Star Citizen doesn't scale well. At all.

The point is, if I don't chase FPS, I can't fully exploited a new 3090. I can run the best settings of doom eternal at 4k/120FPS. That's awesome. But if I want better graphics at 1440p, I can't.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Honestly would have preferred and all $499 generation to start.

In 5 years when the PS5 Pro and XSX Pro launch, where is the S going to fit. Do they drop it to be a 1080p 30 fps box then?

Maybe they expect people to upgrade to the X by then or they will have a cheaper version of the X by then.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I'm cringing fairly hard at people questioning developer takes and asking them to show proof of working on the hardware or whatever. Yikes.

This goes for when it happened with PS5 takes as well. I'm not sure if people realize this, but there is so little bias of any kind in the industry. People are just excited about furthering the medium. If you hear a developer either excited or concerned about stuff, it's usually for good reason. Let's hold up with asking for receipts whenever a developer has an opinion on something.
Sorry, you're a developer, so your opinion doesn't count here. /s

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
After seeing cuts ms had to do for XSS to get to 300 , ps5 is not 399. Forget about that imo
Actually base on the "cut" Ms made, I think the opposite. What it told us is 1/3 gpu with cut down ram and SSD and no drives still cost more than half of the more expensive model. 399 ps5de is definitely possible, just because something has half the performance doesn't mean the actual bom only cost half as much.

Mar 8, 2018
I also wouldn't be surprised if, mid-way through the generation, the devs truly cannot work with XSS, then it just transitions to using XCloud for those types of games.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
No doubt, they're game changers. Sony's solution is on a completely different league though. It's absolutely the biggest difference between these consoles.

But back to what we were talking about, you claimed that that phrase was used primarily for PS4 users seeking to transition to PS5, why wouldn't "PS5 exclusive" suffice, as with any gen before this one? Why the specific "designed for PS5" phrase?

The phrase got reactions when the game was revealed as well... But I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

Because this leap is unlike anything we've had in quite some time....and Sony wants to stress that so that you're willing to spend 500 bucks or more on the hardware. The SSD in the PS5 isn't going to allow some generational advancement over the Xbox Series X/S or PC.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Surely, in a way, this situation is a good thing? It encourages efficient programming, which will also help games run better on Series X/PS5, and helps to rein in projects that are becoming wayyyy too ambitious for their own good. Especially with the current situation, spending 7+ years on a single project may no longer be commercially viable. Limits must be set.

If Nintendo can create a title like Breath of the Wild on the Switch, I really do not see how Series S will hold back a well-conceptualised, engineered and realistic project.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This guy basically echos my thoughts above exactly:

I really just don't get the strategy outside of some bean counter thinking that being ultra price aggressive will deeply cut into the Sony/Nintendo's marketshare, but I'm not sure it's not going just devalue their consumer proposition over the long haul.

That comparison doesn't take into account that of how things aren't the same. For starters, the base Xbox One cost more than the base PS4 when launched while being weaker. It was comparatively priced for awhile. Here, you're going to have the base console be 40% cheaper out of the gate. You can't compare the Xbox One being the weakest console last gen and the Series S being the weakest this gen and say it's the same because that 40% price difference is huge.

The reason to support it is because having both price tiers now makes it quite possible that the user base will grow faster because it's bring the barrier of entry lower while still offering the high end for enthusiasts.

I think this is the biggest issue here. There's a whole new SKU with less memory and that SFS thing and 1080p assets that devs didn't think they'd need on their current build just became incredibly important at the very last minute. Pretty bad form tbh

Oh come on, do you think anyone releasing a Series X game anytime soon didn't know about this? It's not a last minute thing. Devs have known for awhile. Heck they let Digital Foundry know back in March about it. You think Digital Foundry knew before developers? The Series S has been known for awhile now. This is not some last minute surprise for developers who are working on Series X games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
id talking about the XSS being a bottleneck is obviously concerning.

But on the flipside, even id's Doom Eternal is coming to the 4gb Switch. And yet the Switch was obviously not a bottleneck in the making of Doom Eternal.

But I guess contracting out the XSS version of games to a port house isn't going to be a sensible option when it's going to have to launch on both XSS and XSX simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.