• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I know the cpu/gpu power of these new consoles are enough for spectacular grafics but i hope the ssd talk is not just pr talk....remember how cloud computing was supposed to be a gamechanger....nothing came out of it in the end

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this directly effect things like LOD/Pop-in/draw distance detail etc...
in 3rd party games? Easier, more efficient development & optimization processes should also lead to more polished and refined ports overall. Why are people acting like the only way to see the benefits from PS5's SSD is to build games from the ground up with it mind?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know the cpu/gpu power of these new consoles are enough for spectacular grafics but i hope the ssd talk is not just pr talk....remember how cloud computing was supposed to be a gamechanger....nothing came out of it in the end
Well, it's no BLAST PROCESSING, I'll tell you that.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this directly effect things like LOD/Pop-in/draw distance detail etc...
in 3rd party games? Easier, more efficient development & optimization processes should also lead to more polished and refined ports overall. Why are people acting like the only way to see the benefits from PS5's SSD is to build games from the ground up with it mind?
Another question is why people only see these benefits from PS5's SSD and not also from XSX SSD?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
people gushing over the ps5 ssd when xbox has basically the same thing just slower. not to mention that the only games that will benefit will be ps5 only games and even then that's if sony don't want to port them to pc at all which they seem to be doing lately. its really not going to change much at all other than the standard benefits you get from using an ssd which both platforms benefit from.
You really think Sony would spend years designing a console around certain features and not use them.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Kotaku splitscreen just had Jason saying he is getting tons of texts from people saying the ps5 is the more powerful console.

But if it's just Sony devs then who cares.

To me it's about the third parties, if they look identical then it comes down to the controller for that game and that's when Sony loses me to Xbox (for third party games)

Oct 25, 2017
The downplaying of the SSD that the PS5 is using is pretty ridiculous to see. I can't understand why some of you have such an allegiance to a plastic box, hey the PS5 does something way better than the Xbox, why is it such a big deal? The Xbox has it beat in other places. It's okay for both these consoles to have advantages, doesn't make your little box any less special.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They will just stop deving for them, just like they did with shader Model 2.0 GPUs, or non 64 but CPUs, or CPUs missing instructions. Or dx10 GPUs.

If that's the case, what do you think Microsoft exclusives for XSX and PC will be built around? The XSX (or Lockhart) SSD, with PC users expected to get something equivalent? Or whatever the most basic PC SSD is? And will that even matter that much if the random reads aren't actually that different?

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Because for some reason, people here ignore what actual devs say.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I think pop in is more a memory size problem, or GPU limit. It is not a speed problem (you can walk very slowly and things will appear. Go back slowly, disappearing).
Otherwise, yes. What is important is to build the game with SSD in mind. When it will be mandatory on PC (I think in 2 years), XBX SSD speed will be the norm.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Pretty neat, the only real benefit I've noticed for the different nVME v-nand type on PC is faster load times in a games. Besides that excellent for video editing purposes when paired with a decent CPU and booting into an OS in 2-5 seconds.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sony devs are naturally going to be biased towards the Sony platform, but at this stage, it's unlikely that many (or possibly any) 3rd party developers have hands-on experience with the PS5.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The downplaying of the SSD that the PS5 is using is pretty ridiculous to see

downplaying? if anything i'm seeing far more people believing the new SSD will cure even cancer. that just by having a faster SSD everything else will work better, faster, brighter, prettier, smoother, cause uhhhh the ssd is like the brain of the computer right, everything pass through it?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
If that's the case, what do you think Microsoft exclusives for XSX and PC will be built around? The XSX (or Lockhart) SSD, with PC users expected to get something equivalent? Or whatever the most basic PC SSD is? And will that even matter that much if the random reads aren't actually that different?
I think Microsoft will answer this question pretty soon.

Deleted member 5627

Oct 25, 2017
He literally asks devs what they want the most and then builds it. Dev opinions shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Despite the lower specs, the PS5 will do fine.

People on Era may be into these specs, but a lot of consumers don't even care. They own a PS4 and just want a PS5.

I remember showing off my X1X to my son, comparing RDR2 to his PS4Pro version. I was like ' damn, this looks great' . He couldn't care less.

Kids don't care and they just tend tot buy the console that most of their friends own. That happens to be the PS4 now ( none of his friends owns an Xbox ), and I think even a beast like Xbox Series X won't change that.

For the record, I'm probably gonna buy ( waiting for Halo Infinite ) both but don't think the power of a console can predict success. It's the games that sell consoles imo.

Oct 27, 2017

MS is bring their SSD Velocity tech to PC.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
3D bark and moss and ants for each tree?

Great, we will get Ant-gate for TLOU3 or whatever now 🤣

And I don't get the complaints about PS5 power. Both next-gen consoles are seemingly great. Why does one have to "win" on specs. I predict next-gen will be about smart use of upscaling, VRS, data management etc, not brute force native 4k, so both will easily run the same games.

The more custom things PS5 packs seem to be easy-ish to use, so it's not like ESRAM or Cell is being shoves down anybody's throat.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
If one is wanting Horizon 2 with full RT in open world, that ain't happening short of the tech wizardry one gets from making arcane deals with eldritch powers.

I think we'll see it used more selectively to enhance scenes this gen, or with smaller, less performance intensive games.

As for how each console will look and feel? I think by in large most games will probably run smoother on XSX but titles that are data streaming heavy may run a bit better on ps5.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
It just seems crazy to me that people are saying the XBOX is drastically more powerful than the PS5 when the raw number comparison put the XBOX at about 8%-20% better than the PS5 in most categories except SSD speed where the PS5 is around double the speed. Like, even if the XBOX was as much as 20% faster/more powerful than the PS5, that's not a huge difference (we're well past the point of diminishing returns on raw power) & with the SSD advantage and possibly more efficient architecture, the gap is likely to be even smaller and could even be in the PS5's favor.

My guess is that for multiplatform titles, you're going to get basically the same experience regardless of which of the two systems you play them on.
I still dont get any sentiment that variable speeds for gpu and cpu are "more efficient architecture"

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm hoping to see great things and curious how SSD speeds will play a role next gen.

Now I'm really ready to just see the games.

Dec 31, 2017
It depends, actually, if a game still has load times. Some people are even constructing richer worlds and faster games than on XSX because of the SSD.
What game are you referring to that can't run on XSX because of the SSD?

Also,I'd take a better experience overall than shave 3-4 seconds on my initial loading any day of the week.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

This is very different. I can tell you from my own experience an SSD is a game changer just in terms of load times if you have one on PC, if you build the entire hardware around having it - which is what consoles do - it will only push that further.

It WILL be the defining factor of this generation. And it wouldn't even have needed Sonys faster SSD for it to be one.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What game are you referring to that can't run on XSX because of the SSD?

Also,I'd take a better experience overall than shave 3-4 seconds on my initial loading any day of the week.
I don't say a game doesn't run and I also take not part in constructing theoretical cases where a PS5 game is leaps and bounds better than an XSX game but it's still happening nonetheless.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
ya we'll see when the consoles launch. they alway slike to hype them up and then they end up like this generation, lacking and underwhelming.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I still really don't understand how a slightly faster SSD on PS5 will impact games that much. An SSD is still inordinately slower than cpu cache and memory ram. You can load things much quicker but you'll still be waiting on them and have to preload them and use much smaller tricks to have them their in time. Maybe less stuttering, but I'm sure devs will still figure out how to make things stutter.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still dont get any sentiment that variable speeds for gpu and cpu are "more efficient architecture"

As someone who doesn't know a lot of the nitty-gritty technical stuff, my general impression from what I've read is that 1) the system only lowers the speed when it won't impact the output - you get the same results but the system runs cooler/quieter and 2) there are fewer bottlenecks so the system runs smoother & is able to take advantage of its full speed. Whether any of this is actually true, who knows, but based on history, Cerny knows what he's doing when it comes to designing game systems.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I still really don't understand how a slightly faster SSD on PS5 will impact games that much. An SSD is still inordinately slower than cpu cache and memory ram. You can load things much quicker but you'll still be waiting on them and have to preload them and use much smaller tricks to have them their in time. Maybe less stuttering, but I'm sure devs will still figure out how to make things stutter.
Devs are telling you how it will impact.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The downplaying of the SSD that the PS5 is using is pretty ridiculous to see. I can't understand why some of you have such an allegiance to a plastic box, hey the PS5 does something way better than the Xbox, why is it such a big deal? The Xbox has it beat in other places. It's okay for both these consoles to have advantages, doesn't make your little box any less special.

Downplaying?

People are losing their shit over it lol. I've seen posts that say that SSD will deliver the cure for COVID-19.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Are you talking about the general audience or this site? Cause if it's the latter, it's quite the opposite.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remember the pallets in Last of Us or unskippable cutscenes or characters giving each other a boost over tall structures?

All done to hide loading screens or new areas.

With SSD devs won't be hamstrung with those design decisions.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another question is why people only see these benefits from PS5's SSD and not also from XSX SSD?

Umm no one is saying that? Xsx will have better lod/draw distance than regular hard drives but PS5 will be better than xsx in these simply because it has a 100% faster drive.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of it especially from Sony developers. As this thread is literally based off of first party devs praising the consoles, it's rich since they are literally never going to have games on the Xbox so they won't need to worry about bashing them.

But sure the SSDs in both consoles are pretty wild, but realistically this was never a limitation in world size. LOD and having more detail streamed in? Yes do that.

PC's have this tech but it's not as close as we're not in the newer generation ssds that are supposed to be out this year. Right now an SSD pretty close to the speeds the XSX and PS5 get would be upwards of $399 (for 2TB).
The problem with pc games and ssd's is that most games aren't made with them in mind. So playing pc games from an NVME drive was pretty much negligible compared to a standard SSD. I'm excited to see how games developed exclusively around a super fast ssd will work.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
The SSDs are indeed quite exciting. Game Devs will be able to design their game with this specification in mind, which is a first in game development, right? Even PC only games can't afford this because they have to keep a large amount of different specifications in mind. Im looking forward to how this will change games.