• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I took a break after Stage 90. Cerberus was cake until hit hit me while he was DT'd. Then I got scared and just shot him to death. Blue Rose has been fucking carrying me. I don't know how the hell I'm gonna do half of this shit with V.

Edit: Also, does anyone else suck ass against Artemis? She got me down to a fraction my health. Locking on to her little Gundam funnels and killing them is a fucking nightmare.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Ok I took a break after Stage 90. Cerberus was cake until hit hit me while he was DT'd. Then I got scared and just shot him to death. Blue Rose has been fucking carrying me. I don't know how the hell I'm gonna do half of this shit with V.

Edit: Also, does anyone else suck ass against Artemis? She got me down to a fraction my health. Locking on to her little Gundam funnels and killing them is a fucking nightmare.
Fighting Artemis with V is an exercise in frustration

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished, excellent game. Probably just a tad behind 1 and 3 for me. The opening chapters and the finale were the strongest parts, the middle sagged a bit. Loved the woman who drives the van. 8/10

Edit: 6/10, 2 points docked for making my PlayStation scream louder than a demon. Could barely hear music, dialogue etc

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

it wasn't too bad but yeah anything fast moving that requires precision with v is a pain in the aasssssssssss not because you will die but because it takes ages to force your familiars into the right timing to hit things

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Fighting Cerberus with V is so good, it almost feels like he was made for V with the slight platforming and push/pull mechanics. Really enjoyable.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
if i were to defear Urizen on Human in the prologue, does it counts as finishing the game/difficulty?

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Hell or Hell S rank progress was very good tonight. Mission 5,6,7N and 7V done. Now I'm on to mission 8. This one is gonna be tough. No damage is gonna be out of the question for me. Now way I'm trying to fight Urizen part 2 no damage. I can get to the boss pretty easily with the right breaker set ups but I'm gonna have to make sure i have at least 4600-4700 style points before the boss to even attempt the S. I love what this guy did in this video for the first fight. Bringing enemies with him into the next fight to boost the style rank. Now that's some good tech. I'm gonna have to try that.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell or Hell S rank progress was very good tonight. Mission 5,6,7N and 7V done. Now I'm on to mission 8. This one is gonna be tough. No damage is gonna be out of the question for me. Now way I'm trying to fight Urizen part 2 no damage. I can get to the boss pretty easily with the right breaker set ups but I'm gonna have to make sure i have at least 4600-4700 style points before the boss to even attempt the S. I love what this guy did in this video for the first fight. Bringing enemies with him into the next fight to boost the style rank. Now that's some good tech. I'm gonna have to try that.

Why'd you do Mission 7 with both Nero and V? I've heard you don't have to for the trophy. Unless you're trying to fill out the entire results page.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The way the checkpointing works is kinda frustrating but I get why it is that way. Basically went into the Nidhogg fight with 1 bar of health as V so it was really frustrating to try and stick to no continues especially when I went down at his 10% Devil Trigger hp threshold. Ended up just rezzing and finishing him off, oh well.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And this is still missing some Buster animations and Devil Buster Knuckle. And that doesn't even begin to count all the moves and abilities from Devil Breakers (I count almost 50 in total when counting contextual ones for Overture and hidden flips and stuff with Punchline). When the inevitable "Switch Breakers on the fly" mod comes out, I think he could pass DMC 4 Dante. As of right now, I definitely think he's surpassed both DmC and DMC 3 Dante. Even without any mods, depending on your load out, you have just as many, if not more options available than DMC 4 Dante.

Itsuno really brought Nero into his own in this game. Hats off to him and his team.

Oct 25, 2017
I just thought about how nero's theme song is called Devil Trigger and him getting his DT at the end was still somehow a surprise to me

re: the above the table hopper stand hits were fucking wild. never thought of doing that

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully i can get past the voltaic knight tonight, i always get slightly overconfident and fuck up. At least I'm getting more used to just blowing through my breakers if I hit something unsuitable

is there a list or guide to buster counters? the only one I know for sure you can counter is the artemis charge (which I need to practice). I assume you can maybe counter one of goliath's charges as well...?

Oct 28, 2017
So no load time improvements eh?
:(
What platform are you playing on?
On PC with even a cheap SATA SSD it loads just as fast as 4. It's just annoying how you get a loading screen at every cutscene, menu and gameplay transition. They are not long enough to read a single one of those hints but they're there and it becomes annoying. Especially when you exit the upgrade menu but then realise you forgot to upgrade something, or didn't have the right loadout. 2 extra loading screen to wait through.
Mainly those fancy realtime menu backgrounds are at fault for this.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
You know, I hope next DMC game we get more humanoid bosses. The humanoid bosses in this game were the ones that made me actually have tons of fun, but for the most part the giant beast bosses aren't as fun for me.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
hopefully i can get past the voltaic knight tonight, i always get slightly overconfident and fuck up. At least I'm getting more used to just blowing through my breakers if I hit something unsuitable

is there a list or guide to buster counters? the only one I know for sure you can counter is the artemis charge (which I need to practice). I assume you can maybe counter one of goliath's charges as well...?

Yes Goliath's body charge can be busted, I remember seeing his leap attack being busted as well.

A general rule is anything that is charging at you.

Except maybe the Chaos.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
the only character action game i recall with majority human sized bosses is actually metal gear revengeance come to think of it and even then it's a fairly close one

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like DMC has always done both humanoid and beast bosses really well. Human-sized ones are great for that tense, toe-to-toe duel feeling, but the big guys are really fun to hammer away at and show them all your fun jump-cancelling tech. I feel like DMC5 balanced it really well, with some of them (particularly Urizen) actually straddling the line between humanoid and beast anyway.

And, hey, no blob boss or Savior analogue this time!

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Can you parry Goliath´s fireball with the sword? I´ve seen it done with Gerbera, but not to the sword. Also, can you parry Hell Cainas? Whenever I try it I hit them making them flinch instead of our weapons clashing and getting the parry effect.

You can parry fireballs with the sword.
I've never tried to parry Cainas, but you probably can.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Aye alright, the timer is actually quite lenient. Probably not the best idea to go in without finishing my DMD playthrough though. Stage 90 wrecked me.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
can't get the god damn timing down on the artemis charge... hard to proc it too. glad for the lab though.

i probably need to watch some playthroughs so i can learn some better practices, i'm taking too long with stuff like Cleaver Dudes or just masses of Hellbats

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
well i got back up the voltaic knight and... crashed.

bloody palace doesn't autosave :(

Deleted member 22405

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that felt this. Artemis gets destroyed by Dante and Nero pretty easily but with V it was just very strict DT meter management. Also I'm not really sure I've figured out maximum damage output with him just yet.

Also is anybody disappointed they can't use deluxe breakers and Cavaliere R in BP? I miss my motorcycle air stinger.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished, excellent game. Probably just a tad behind 1 and 3 for me. The opening chapters and the finale were the strongest parts, the middle sagged a bit. Loved the woman who drives the van. 8/10

Edit: 6/10, 2 points docked for making my PlayStation scream louder than a demon. Could barely hear music, dialogue etc
Lol that edit seems more of a fault of the console, not the game. My PC and PS4 Pro are quiet as hell, but my base PS4 is indeed super loud when running this game, and other games too. I imagine that's because it's from 2013 and I've never cleaned it lol. Still though, docking a game because of the hardware you're using to run it seems really dumb.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Lol that edit seems more of a fault of the console, not the game. My PC and PS4 Pro are quiet as hell, but my base PS4 is indeed super loud when running this game, and other games too. I imagine that's because it's from 2013 and I've never cleaned it lol. Still though, docking a game because of the hardware you're using to run it seems really dumb.

My base PS4 is pretty quiet while running the game. Probably due to change of paste/cleaning about half a year ago.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

It's a joke, friend. I mean I am annoyed by the noise my system makes and it definitely does effect my enjoyment of the game, but I wasn't serious about the points.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
twice in one night is too fuckin much. i'm going to sleep

lHiAUUs.jpg

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I was playing last night during some Steam instability and the game closed on its own without and error message. I couldn't resync my save data to the cloud, so I assume that was the cause. After I got in back in, I kept seeing the other player ghost data drop out and a new one coming in. Every time a new one appeared the game had a noticeable half second stutter. Anyone else experience this? Quite frustrating...

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed the Bloody Palace isn't more randomized and some of the bosses like Geryon Knight and Nidhogg don't even seem to be in there. It get's a slog after a while doing the same boring entry levels again and again.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Can you buster the Artemis charge? Tried it a handful of times but couldn't seem to get it.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Whoo yea! Beat mission 8 and 9 Hell and Hell S rank. 8 was quite tough but I beat 9 on my first try. Here's my 8 run. Special taunts are great at raising the style rank without causing damage, I think it gave me the edge. How do you do the bubble gum taunt with Nero?

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
IMO Nero is way past DMC3 Dante. Arguably he already was in DMC4 when played right. The thing with Nero is that you need to hold down like... 4 buttons at once and be able to toggle between them without a second thought. That's actually quite insane and in some ways Dante is easier to play in 5.
No way, not yet, and maybe not ever. DMC3 Dante has insane depth if you know how to wield him.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Bloody Palace with Nero. That was actually pretty easy. Stage 97 and Urizen gave me the most trouble but I probably could've made it easier by using my Breakers more. I still had all 8 of them in the last stage. I'll try V next just to get that shit over with.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Okay, I just hit 80 with V, I didn't expect that boss would be so easy, lol literally fried chicken. Now I'm a bit worried for the next 10 floors, I don't want to do the 90 with V... Time to have a cute and relaxing break, hello Yoshi !