• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Renard

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/01/24/majority-game-developers-want-unionize-few-are-convinced-it-will-happen/
Accordingly to this poll a couple months ago, 54% said yes to unionize so it isn't an overwhelming majority. Seems like there are still a lot of devs resistant to the idea

This is a somewhat disingenuous framing: note that only 16% of developers actually said 'no' to unionization in that poll; a full 75% said either 'yes' or 'maybe', and 9% were 'unsure.' And the trend for union support is growing year to year.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not against Unions. There's absolutely no question that collective bargaining has improved millions of lives across multiple industries.

Just me, personally, given the choice, I would prefer not to unionize my profession as a software developer. If it happens in the future, I'll deal with it.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we didn't fight to be free just to have the government tell us how to live our lives every step of the way.

I disagree... I don't think a government created entity can represent me better than I can represent myself.
I don't think the government can protect me better than I can protect myself. I'd rather represent myself.

1. Unions aren't government-created, they are a collective of workers.
2. The ongoing coronavirus pandemic shows the limits of how well privatization can protect everyone, and that's just one of countless examples.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
American software devs need to realize that the rest of the world have unions and they're not closing shops or impedded by red tape or some shit.
Fucking Dice have unions in the EU.
Same with Ubisoft's collections of dev houses.
Heck if Nintendo's own NERD has more than 50 people it already has a union because it's required by law.
What the ever living fuck are people's image of unions here?

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Are people here under the assumption that unionizing will mean devs wont work long hours?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
unions are great
thanks to my union i'm getting paid out my full contracted hours even through covid shutting down the campus i work at

regulations can also be important, sometimes freedom comes at the cost of the welfare of your fellow employees

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
I'm a software developer, not in the game industry, and would prefer not to unionize as well. I'm concerned about how this would affect wages.

As a creative field, there is wide variance in productivity between professionals. Key players deserve a higher salary than those that are content to fix bugs and do implementations following a standard template. There are roles for both in the industry, but salary has to reflect your contributions.

The only thing I would be open to is something akin to the Hollywood guild model, where there are guaranteed minimums and rules around workplace conditions, and also royalties.

They key problem with software development is that software and, in turn profits, can be scaled far beyond the cost to to create it. Developer should participate in this.

Developers who take a strong interest in their work and put in extra hours to create it should get ongoing royalties or an ownership stake in the profit exploitation of their code. Unfortunately, every time I see people talk about unionizing, it is in conjunction with the AFL/CIO or other similar organizations which don't really understand the unique nature of software developement.

i don't want rigid pay bands and arbitrary restrictions on how much I can work should I decide to put in extra effort. I do want to be compensated fairly based on how much profit my code generates.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
But you work in marketing, right?
Anyone who contributes to the creation and release of a video game is a game developer. That includes marketing, QA, localization, all of the roles that are CRITICAL to launching a complete title. I'm going to assume this was an honest mistake, but it's common enough I want to correct it because games don't get played without everyone who works on them playing a crucial part, and they all deserve recognition, not dismissal.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
From my experience working in the game industry (former QA and Lead UI artist, currently Automation engineer for regular non gaming software). Devs are typically work to the bone like everyone else in the game industry, HOWEVER most of the time they are at least paid fairly well and get good to decent benefits (although still somewhat below the rest of software dev world), even if they never get time to enjoy the money they make or see their families etc... The people who could totally benefit from a Union would be the Testers, for the better of most part they are treated like cattle and have zero job stability. if you're lucky you'll get hired to work as QA directly for the development but most of the time you are contracted and never actually part of the company itself, and for the better of most part are treated like a 2nd class citizen even though you work just as many hours if not more than your fellow other employee. I remember seeing people afraid to tell their leads they were "sick" in fear of being sent home because policy stated if you missed more than a certain amount of work days you would be replaced. Testers never really get "sick" days, and in California were the law states you have to have at least two days off a month, some of the game companies circumvent that completely during crunch time. Unfortunately, the main issue I can see with Testers Unionizing would be large studios, outsourcing most of these jobs and the market would shrink here in (the US I mean specifically) for those fields. Overall a tricky subject. :/

(As a regular non gaming dev I too don't want a Union for standard software development, the amount of perks a lot of us gets are pretty damn good and because it's such a highly competitive field over all if you're a good dev you can make bank. Even if you're not a great dev you still stand to make a lot of money regardless cause dev work is just highly sought after and really well paid over all)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Anyone who contributes to the creation and release of a video game is a game developer. That includes marketing, QA, localization, all of the roles that are CRITICAL to launching a complete title. I'm going to assume this was an honest mistake, but it's common enough I want to correct it because games don't get played without everyone who works on them playing a crucial part, and they all deserve recognition, not dismissal.

Fair enough, I'm not dismissing anyone.

My company has many roles and they're all critical to shipping a working product. Most of them don't have the job title of "Developer".

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017

This is an issue for me. As a software developers I don't want to be lumped in with QA, localization and other departments, nor should those individuals want to be classified as developers. As Billy Awesomo rightly points out, developers are usually better positioned to fight back against exploitation. I feel for the QA kid who is being forced to work 80 hours a weeks for just over minimum wage. It's a lot easier for me as a developer to leave and find a job somewhere else.

There is a reason Hollywood has separate actor's, writer's and director's guilds. It's so they can negotiate for the unique needs of each type of profession.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is an issue for me. As a software developers I don't want to be lumped in with QA, localization and other departments, nor should those individuals want to be classified as developers. As Billy Awesomo rightly points out, developers are usually better positioned to fight back against exploitation. I feel for the QA kid who is being forced to work 80 hours a weeks for just over minimum wage. It's a lot easier for me as a developer to leave and find a job somewhere else.

There is a reason Hollywood has separate actor's, writer's and director's guilds. It's so they can negotiate for the unique needs of each type of profession.
Everyone's needs should include:
  • 40 hour work week
  • paybump for overtime
  • paid time off
  • parental leave
  • etc
  • etc

Subdividing the workforce into different cliques is significantly reducing the negotiating power of the entire workforce. There really is no good reason to have seperate unions for separate parts of the workforce within a company. All it does is pit the workers against each other.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
  • 40 hour work week
  • paybump for overtime
  • paid time off
  • parental leave
  • etc
  • etc

Subdividing the workforce into different cliques is significantly reducing the negotiating power of the entire workforce. There really is no good reason to have seperate unions for separate parts of the workforce within a company. All it does is pit the workers against each other.
I mean you can subdivide if you want as long as there's a certain unity in pushing for similar issues.
I don't think all the unions should be against parental leave and have reasons to present anything but a unified front on this.

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
  • 40 hour work week
  • paybump for overtime
  • paid time off
  • parental leave
  • etc
  • etc

These two points are why I don't want unions: "
  • 40 hour work week
  • paybump for overtime
I would be more than happy to work 60 hours a week on a fixed salary in exchange for a percentage of the profits my code creates. As a developer I am better positioned to negotiate that. QA guy? not so much.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York

While this is true, the amount of work each department deals with, from a game development time perspective is very different. The brunt of the work load is typically shouldered onto Software Development, artists, QA, sound engineers, producers, and associate producers, (among a few others) . These people suffer crunch the hardest and typically can't even leave work at a proper hour for days on end. Meanwhile the Business side of game development (publishing companies), typically, doesn't have to work nearly as much as the overall dev team who are building the actual product. Most of these people get to go home on a normal time basis (most of the time). Although every part of game development is crucial not everyone's work load is equal. Some groups of people deserve more recognition than others, but I agree that none of them should get dismissals for what they contributed to the end product.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These two points are why I don't want unions: "
  • 40 hour work week
  • paybump for overtime
I would be more than happy to work 60 hours a week on a fixed salary in exchange for a percentage of the profits my code creates. As a developer I am better positioned to negotiate that. QA guy? not so much.
why not negotiate for all 3 things?

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

Accordingly to this poll a couple months ago, 54% said yes to unionize so it isn't an overwhelming majority. Seems like there are still a lot of devs resistant to the idea.

Good point. Years of largely Republican fear mongering over unions has also confused a lot of people and dragged the overall opinion of unions down. Also toss in the inevitable few bad apple people and imo you stand where we are today.

I'm not in a field that ever really unionizes at our level (social worker director) but I was a teacher and a principal and a big pusher of unions then. I think more developers would support without that deception.

It's also important to note that while many of us on era seem to think a union is the way to beat crunch we aren't really the people who need convincing with a number that close to half. A union that no one joins has no power anyways. The devil would be in the details for a lot of developers just like anyone else who is considering something "new" in their field.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I disagree... I don't think a government created entity can represent me better than I can represent myself.
I don't think the government can protect me better than I can protect myself. I'd rather represent myself.

As someone whose job it is to deal with unions on behalf of management you are very, very, wrong about this.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Professions that have been unionized gain an additional set of rules and regulations. Some of those rules can be strangely byzantine.
As a member of a union, what a bizarre line of thought. I have zero "Byzantine" rules. As a matter of fact because of my union the company gives is more leeway than non union employees. The protection I get as well as great pay and benefits makes unionization worth while. I also don't have to fear my job being in jeopardy for any little thing. I don't have to walk around pins and needles around management and to be quite honest management is ultra respectful to me and my union brothers and sisters. This is the type of stereotype that needs to be shedded for people to realize unions are overall better for most professions.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Somebody needs to clarify how this works in the States, because it doesn't seem as easy to join a union as it is in the UK.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
why not negotiate for all 3 things?

Yes. Seems like people dismissing even the idea of unions have never actually read any collective agreement.
Those have plenty of leeway for individual and company level negotiations for extra, but the main things they provide is the secure baseline for every employee; rights, work safety, well-being, base salaries, benefits, process for handling issues/disputes and protections from discrimination. They don't define how people should do their actual work as that is the employers responsibility.

As a software developer I have absolutely no desire to unionize. It would only mean extra, ridiculous rules and regulations to follow.

Only change that I can think of to developers daily life might come from additional work safety, well-being and/or general discrimination protections. But those are at the end of the day, for the common good.

Last edited:

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Seems like people dismissing even the idea of unions have never actually read any collective agreement.
Those have plenty of leeway for individual and company level negotiations for extra, but the main things they provide is the secure baseline for every employee; rights, work safety, well-being, base salaries, benefits, process for handling issues/disputes and protections from discrimination. They don't define how people should do their actual work as that is the employers responsibility.
Well said.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I've said this before, but in my opinion the biggest issue is US worker's view on unions as industry specific. Unions should not be seen as the solution to one specific exploitative industry, but rather as the default dynamic between workers and employers. Having a "Video Game Developer Union" makes no sense, because there aren't that many video game developers, and the needs of game developers are no different from any other software developer or even IT professionals in general. Of course there is a need for some categorizations (maybe don't put game devs and constructions workers in the same union), but the key to an effective union is that it has many members, and that it is the standard. Basically, The US needs a massive culture shift in employer-employee power dynamics.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
if they stand up for themselves and do something other than complain about it then maybe they'll see some change.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Are people here under the assumption that unionizing will mean devs wont work long hours?

Unions guarantee overtime pay and prevents you from being fired for refusing to work overtime.

Ah yes, the "fuck you I've got mine"-mentality.
Not to mention that Unions don't prevent you from working voluntary overtime or negotiate for equity, should you so wish.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before, but in my opinion the biggest issue is US worker's view on unions as industry specific. Unions should not be seen as the solution to one specific exploitative industry, but rather as the default dynamic between workers and employers. Having a "Video Game Developer Union" makes no sense, because there aren't that many video game developers, and the needs of game developers are no different from any other software developer or even IT professionals in general. Of course there is a need for some categorizations (maybe don't put game devs and constructions workers in the same union), but the key to an effective union is that it has many members, and that it is the standard. Basically, The US needs a massive culture shift in employer-employee power dynamics.
100%

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Been a developer/IT guy for 20+ years. I am also a big fan of unions. I am not sure unions would fix the working conditions you are talking about.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unions, at least here in Australia, are the last line of defence against the Government and our employers. Thanks to unions here, I'm enjoying entitlements like paid leave, annual leave, paternity leave, long service leave, capped working hours, pay increases etc.

And the funny thing? I'm not even part of the union. Membership is entirely optional but the benefits they negotiate apply to members and non-members alike. I'm in DevOPs in the Research/Higher Education sector.

I've always been bemused at seeing folks in the tech industry against unions because the industry, especially Gaming, would benefit immensely from it.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would require: developers that are affected most to make their voices heard and for those in better positions to not be close-minded and think of the bigger picture, those who contribute to the development that have the comfort of unions (ex: voice) to speak up too, and just in general everyone to keep the terrible effects of the current development environment in the public conscious and say it increasingly louder. Corporations win when we play by polite rules such as avoiding talking publicly about bad practices. You may feel better in the short term about avoiding drama, but corps win in the long term by continuing to eat away at you.