• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I was hoping Shadowkeep would get me interested in Destiny 2 but I don't wanna dedicate that much space to a game I don't absolutely love

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

So your theory is that an experienced development studio like Bungie, staffed by industry veterans, are either a) so naive that they are not aware of lossless texture compression, or b) willingly avoiding it in favor of uncompressed image and/or audio data, a technical blunder that would result in a minimum of 2x game data sizes, in some vague service of their GaaS business model? Are they charging for skins by byte? Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why are people willing to accept increased system requirements for literally everything except storage requirements? Do people expect games to remain the same size forever?

There's no real reason in this day and age to have a game take up THAT much space, especially when a lot of pc gamers using SSD's have storage space limitations. On top of this you have the data caps that affect many people, and this eats a ton of that away.

To put it into perspective, the entire size of The Witcher 3 + Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine is around 50gb.

The game has far more "content" then Destiny 2 in terms of quests/dialogue, etc.

There's really no reason for the size to be that large outside of simply they choose not to use compression.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
So your theory is that an experienced development studio like Bungie, staffed by industry veterans, are either a) so naive that they are not aware of lossless texture compression, or b) willingly avoiding it in favor of uncompressed image and/or audio data, a technical blunder that would result in a minimum of 2x game data sizes, in some vague service of their GaaS business model? Are they charging for skins by byte? Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
You sound hurt. Hope you're ok.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bring it on, I hope Shadowkeep is loaded with content. I got a 500GB 860EVO SSD for the games I play the most. (D2, Halo, Overwatch and any game I'm currently going through).

I think it will take the top spot for biggest game size from Quantum Break (159.2GB with the episode pack on the One X).

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, wasn't one of the issues with Destiny 1 something like they would have to re-render or something an entire zone map if they moved a single rock or something due to their engine/toolkit? Doesn't seem inconceivable that Bungie might not be compressing their assets or their compression isn't good.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like there is gonna be a whole new level of flashy micro transaction cosmetics to buy that take up so much space on your SSD.

...I don't expect that there are gonna be 100% more playable content than currently in D2...

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not too concerned about the size, provided of course, that I do not need to download the whole 165gb once the game migrates from battlenet to steam.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to space some of these devs literally just don't even give a shit anymore

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you on the compression, but Bungie still needlessly wastes hard drive space with the game in other ways:

* The game installs high resolution 4K textures even if you're on a setup that doesn't use 4K/use low graphics settings that will never see the high resolution textures.
* The game installs language files for every language, even if you will only play on 1 language.

Many other games make the 1st one optional (e.g. Witcher 3) and only download the language files for the language you use your system in.

It's been a few months, but last I checked if Bungie only installed 1 language worth of files it'd reduce the current file size by like 15GB. Only using heavily compressed textures and giving people the option to install the higher resolution ones would reduce the current file size by ~20-25 GB. If they did both Forsaken would only be ~45-50GB total, which while still a lot is actually on par with MMORPG's like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably already been said, but this is about the PS4 version, which even for something like the current version of the game, ends up needing quite a bit more space for installation due to the method by which PS4 games are installed.

ueVKa1F.png

This is up to date with the current version of the game. I just checked the folder on my PC.

SwdJ5oO.png

The bit in the OP is from the PSN page for Shadowkeep.

EXkNnKu.png

Whereas this is from the Steam page for Shadowkeep.

ZDG6dQX.png

The game isn't doubling in size from a single expansion.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It's probably already been said, but this is about the PS4 version, which even for something like the current version of the game, ends up needing quite a bit more space for installation due to the method by which PS4 games are installed.

ueVKa1F.png

This is up to date with the current version of the game. I just checked the folder on my PC.

SwdJ5oO.png

EXkNnKu.png

ZDG6dQX.png

That steam page is only for Shadowkeep and possibly Osiris and Warmind. It definitely is not including Forsaken. It says 105 GB minimum, so it's unclear which of the mentioned dlc it is including.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That steam page is only for Shadowkeep and possibly Osiris and Warmind. It definitely is not including Forsaken. It says 105 GB minimum, so it's unclear which of the mentioned dlc it is including.
That's not how Destiny works. You don't pick and choose what to install. It installs it all and locks you out of what you don't have.

And what makes you think that Shadowkeep is bigger than 18GB?

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Even lossless compression takes CPU time to decompress, which could lead to longer load times or pop-in issues, right? If so it could be a deliberate decision without being a technical blunder

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018

ueVKa1F.png

SwdJ5oO.png

EXkNnKu.png

ZDG6dQX.png

Yeah this makes much more sense. Around 18 gb for expansion sounds about right.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reactions to stuff like this always remind me how shit the internet apparently is in large parts of the US

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I was going to install Destiny on my PC today since it's F2P at this point for the base game but once I saw the download size I laughed and closed the Blizzard client.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Reactions to stuff like this always remind me how shit the internet apparently is in large parts of the US
Nah, a lot of people just concern trolling. They know if they want to download a big game they just let that shit roll overnight while they sleep. That would be true if it was 80GB of 180GB.

The bigger issue would be storage capacity. If people are still rocking 500GB drives, they might have some decisions to make.

I was going to install Destiny on my PC today since it's F2P at this point for the base game but once I saw the download size I laughed and closed the Blizzard client.
Imagine thinking you were going to sit there and watch a whole modern, AAA game download in a few minutes while you read your email. Surely you're smarter than that, but dunno maybe not.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Cannot believe anyone thought the 165gb was the size of just the new expansion, on top of the current Destiny 2 install. This is the Division 2 launch patch debacle all over again.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
....literally no one realizes that Shadowkeep itself is not going to be 165? What is the first page of this thread. It sounds like people actually think that.

Destiny has really high quality audio. It also has a ton of locations, models, and high resolution textures. Like, a ton of different textures. It's a large game. There is a lot of content right now, and they're going to be adding even more. Textures and models for the moon and the new Shadowkeep itself, much of that completely distinct from anything else in the game. Even the hive enemies have new models too. Plus the raid takes place in the black garden, so now you have all that content, higher res than it was in D1 afaik.

It's funny because of how many people want them to just keep it one game instead of making a sequel. Like. Guys, if they're going to constantly update this game, now with TWO GAME-SIZED EXPANSIONS if you include the free content that keeps being added in terms of gigabytes, this is what is going to happen. It's going to balloon in size. And with a game this high fidelity, it's gonna happen quicker.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Nah, a lot of people just concern trolling. They know if they want to download a big game they just let that shit roll overnight while they sleep. That would be true if it was 80GB of 180GB.

The bigger issue would be storage capacity. If people are still rocking 500GB drives, they might have some decisions to make.

Imagine thinking you were going to sit there and watch a whole modern, AAA game download in a few minutes while you read your email. Surely you're smarter than that, but dunno maybe not.
Where did I say I thought it would take a few minutes? Surely you're smarter than that, but dunno maybe not.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people talk about how most of the space taken up in games is from art assets and how that's especially true in first person shooters where they need to have extremely detailed textures for guns so they look good in extreme closeups, and Destiny has way more distinct guns than most shooters and also lots of different armors.

Yuuuuuup. If they had an artstyle/fidelity of something like Overwatch, it'd be a lot easier. But they don't. Lots of high poly stuff you are able to get close to. That stuff has to get stored somewhere.

It's just the nature of this type of game. First person + high fidelity assets + high quality audio and lots of it + like 7 or 8 locations NOT including raids, which have their own distinct models and things.

But "c o m p r e s s i o n" is going to magically make that half the size. Definitely. Compression just is magic. Sorry thems the facts.

how much is Bungie paying you for this schilling?

giphy.gif

im sorry i just wanted the freakin soltice glows

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
unhuh. ok. I'm sure you were starting that download in the middle of the day with no expectations of playing at all.

your deep concerns about the size of the game are noted. start it and go to bed or stop wasting our time.

lol
Take the L and move on, you're desperately making shit up in an attempt to defend the download size while also being ignorant of how long it can take to get these file sizes outside of your 1st world bubble. Literally putting words in my mouth and jumping to conclusions; embarrassing.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Cannot believe anyone thought the 165gb was the size of just the new expansion, on top of the current Destiny 2 install. This is the Division 2 launch patch debacle all over again.
Not a single person that I've seen in this thread thought that.

unhuh. ok. I'm sure you were starting that download in the middle of the day with no expectations of playing at all.

your deep concerns about the size of the game are noted. start it and go to bed or stop wasting our time.

lol
Why are you being so argumentative? And who is 'our' in your condescending response?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
1. Delete games you're not playing.
2. Download thing.
3. Go to work, sleep, play another game, paint, do anything else.
4. Play thing.

I can't really sympathize with the proclaimed woes of large download sizes. If your internet is especially garbo then fair enough, otherwise, there are many ways to not make an issue out of it.

If it's enough to dissuade you from purchasing a game, I highly doubt you were that interested in playing to begin with.

Given how disingenuous people get in Destiny threads? Yeah that's a ding ding ding ding ding right there.

Also I'm just. I love how you cannot escape this idea that Destiny should just be one game forever and ever, but then like, no one realizes how utterly impractical that is. For this very reason. This isn't a 2D platformer that can infinitely receive new texture packs. This is a high fidelity fps that they are adding content too. Like. Literally the biggest type of game I can think of. How is this not going to happen?

People are just so silly. Bumgee bad at depcompressionz. just magic it bumgee. just use the compressor.

Now obviously man I don't know exactly how low they could make it. I'm not in the profession of compressing video games. But I do know that this is...kinda what I expected from a game of this type and I genuinely can't understand why people are so aghast.

AND THIS IS EVEN MORE HILARIOUS BECAUSE BUNGIE HAS A VESTED INTEREST IN KEEPING DOWNLOADS SMALL.

They have to host the damn game. They have to entice people to download it. They still have, as you mention, many industry veterans with knowledge down to the metal of how their engine and these systems work. It is in their best interest to make the game small.

But hurr I don't know anything about making games but LAZY DEVS BUNGIE CAN'T PHOTOSHOP SAVE AS COMPRESSED PNG JPEG.

EDIT: oh I just now saw how you got a "umad?" post in response. As if...you sounded angry at all? Or as if that does anything to address what you said? is this literally GameFAQ?

Last edited:

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Good fucking lord I swear no one in this thread ever knows a thing about how installation works. The 165GB number accounts for the temporary space the systems need to decompress and move files, especially on PS4. Currently the game is sub 90GB on PC and yet official system requirement said you need more than 100GB.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Good fucking lord I swear no one in this thread ever knows a thing about how installation works. The 165GB number accounts for the temporary space the systems need to decompress and move files, especially on PS4. Currently the game is sub 90GB on PC and yet official system requirement said you need more than 100GB.

Yeah even with the dumb af way PS4 downloads content, this is an update. Afaik it doesn't completely redownload the ENTIRE game every time you update it. Given whether you buy shadowkeep or not you are getting the content as this is an online multiplayer game, shadowkeep is thus an update, then this is going to come in the form of an update. The UPDATE will be double in size. So if you have an 80GB game going to 100GB, you'd need 120, not 200.

The PS4 physically would be like, DOA if it had to redownload entire games every time it had an update.

Heck this was a major problem with Windows 10 store, since it was made for small apps. But that's not how the PS4 has ever worked.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally get how this can be bad for people with data caps or slow internet. Internet infrastructure is not that great in many places.

However this shouldn't be that surprising. Games have gotten huge this gen. It will be even bigger next gen. The cost of having more content and bigger files in modern games. Hopefully talk about streaming games while they download is a good workaround for some next gen.

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah but at 105GB, that doesn't include Forsaken and all the previous dlcs, right?

edit: actually they do mention Osiris and Warmind if you preorder, so maybe the size includes those although it says 105 minimum, so who knows
To play Destiny you have to have everything downloaded, even if you don't own all the expansions. So, if it's 105GB on Steam then I bet it'll end up being about that on consoles too.

This looks like Shadowkeep will be a 80GB patch on PS4 that will take like 2hrs to finish 'copying' and end up being about 100GB overall.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
People do realize that the advertised storage is for the whole game, not just Shadowkeep, right?

The DLC is like 18 gb's lol.