• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Sounds terrific. I've consulted help fairly often for Bloodborne, so this could be a really useful feature - and particularly convenient if it's so readibly accessible.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
PS5 Activies is one of those features that will pretty much only get developed for if the devs have some kind of deal with Sony or they somehow really, really, really like it. It's a pain in the ass to develop for, something you can pretty much only work at the very end of the production, when you're already swarmed with a shitton of issues.

And AFAIK, it's not a Sony TRC to have it. So I don't see it being widely used on games that aren't first party past the first few releases. Or for huge studios like Ubisoft who can spare throwing bodies at this until the end of time.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Some madlads will have beaten the game in an hour when the game comes out in the first day i am sure. Psplus getting the guide feature is some extra value i guess, wonder about an official guide since it does have some new stuff apparently.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Even the original release in the west already had a shit ton of community info out there because of the HK/JP release lol.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 Activies is one of those features that will pretty much only get developed for if the devs have some kind of deal with Sony or they somehow really, really, really like it. It's a pain in the ass to develop for, something you can pretty much only work at the very end of the production, when you're already swarmed with a shitton of issues.

And AFAIK, it's not a Sony TRC to have it. So I don't see it being widely used on games that aren't first party past the first few releases. Or for huge studios like Ubisoft who can spare throwing bodies at this until the end of time.
True but that didn't stop people like things like PhotoMode.

In the end the fact it exists even if it is only for exclusives is a nice touch.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I would probably need 1800 videos to beat it ;) I cancelled my pre-order, cause I somehow doubt I'll enjoy the game, getting older, usually want to enjoy gaming a bit after work or on the weekend and I don't guess I'll have trying enemies 200 times to learn a pattern. Probably watch a friend playing it with the new PS5 share options, might still be ok that way, cause it looks great.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020

Have any devs talked about how developing the activities is like? I could see most games having some stuff like accessing multiplayer or a save from them but stuff like the guide videos only being done by the first party devs.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Have any devs talked about how developing the activities is like? I could see most games having some stuff like accessing multiplayer or a save from them but stuff like the guide videos only being done by the first party devs.
An Insomniac engineer said (back when the PS5 UI video) that he would offer more details after either an embargo or Spidey was out. So I guess in a couple of weeks.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
bad move, Miyazaki-san's vision was to have players go to youtube for the same information

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I wonder if some studios will want to include those video feature and have them commissioned to be done by PowerPyx and other trophy hunter guide out there.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To me it all depends how it is implemented.
1. Will this show by default when going to a game's 'hub', and if so could it spoil an experience via thumbnails/titles?
2. Will this be used by indies, seems like it would take a lot of time to curate/create
3. How in-depth will developers use it? It seems like a great way to skip prolonged tutorial sections, but it looks like it will also be used to cover every secret or obstacle a game has to offer.
4. Will there be in-game pop-ups after it notices you've been 'stuck' in the same section for a while?

I know guidebooks exist(ed) and youtube/google is on everyone's phone, but since this is so integrated with the PS5 experience it seems like the solution is one click away, which does make a difference (even if it is slight). Most puzzles are fun because you've discovered the solution after some trial and error, and only when you're really stuck do you tend to bother to look something up on youtube.

Like I said, I'm not upset that this exists. I just don't particularly like it. And I don't think that's gatekeeping - I haven't finished a lot of games because I'm 'stuck' in some form and I'm not a trophy or achievement hunter.

It will be interesting to see how this influences Sony's first/second party game design. And to see how developers going for a more obscure/vague experience (PT, Fez) use it.

One frequent issue I have is where I stop playing a particular game for a while, and the next time I pick it up I'm completely lost on what to do or where to go. I wonder if this could solve that?

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I see some people here buying and wearing a shirt that says "I beat Demon's Souls without Activities. Kiss me!".

Oct 30, 2017
This is great.

I use guides for this game all the time.
It's another way to make this game more accessible without requiring a difficulty slider.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm happy about this. I ran Sekiro pretty clean combat-wise but I totally cheated and used guides for collectibles. If this can make that process smoother then I'm all for it

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Either I'm completely misunderstanding the comment or it sounds like you didn't see the UI video. They showed it action.

I think I might have been having two thoughts going on at once. I mean Sony adding in the Tips/Tutorials/Etc. into the UI was expected due to the patents they had filed previously for such a thing. This was the first I've seen confirmation of it, and exactly how they were going to handle it.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
OutFuckingStanding. I can't wait.

Alanah Pierce said this UI function was prob going to fail and not be supported by devs, but I really hope she is wrong on that one...

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic for a game that can become very obscure and confusing sometimes.

Hopefully people won't think this is bad or it "ruins the experience and goes against what the creators wanted". But they will.
Well if you don't care about discovering anything for yourself it can't ruin anything.

And what's the diff with this and YouTube? Basically it's embedded.

Oct 30, 2017
I can definitely see myself using the videos to some degree. But I probably also don't want to information on the screens saying,

"You're finishing up world X and you still haven't found sword Y! Click here to find it!"

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't like an easy mode because it splinters the community. This solution is great. You still need to do it yourself, but they can point out things like "it might be worth sprinting to grab this thing even if it kills you".

It's a built in strategy guide. It doesn't affect the game at all. Win win.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
A category about Pro-gamer moves consisting of all the ways to cheese bosses.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Last edited:

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
It's intentional. A way of forming a community that works to piece the game together. Having this work all done by the developer ahead of time short-circuits that community building.

Yeah, but these, like the signs placed in the world by other players, are community creations.
Excellent point. It stifles that community interaction.