• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which theme hits better?

• Original

Votes: 375 33.4%
  • Remake

Votes: 747 66.6%

• Total voters

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have not played this game in a long time, but upon hearing PS3 version just now, I couldn't help but be reminded of this.

Deleted member 27647

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The old version sounds very bad because of the MIDIs, but the new version has no character at all. I think I like the old version better but only by a smidge.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how it will be in the remake but it's hard to really hear the theme in the original because the most dominant noise in that boss fight is the flames in the background and the stoking the flames type sound when you hit the boss. Hopefully the mix in the PS5 version is a bit more balanced.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I have not played this game in a long time, but upon hearing PS3 version just now, I couldn't help but be reminded of this.

Since you're reposting the same thing in this thread, I'll do the same for my post too:

The original gives a sense of uneasiness, like you didn't know if he would have more moves under his sleeve or not. Also the music did ramp up a bit with the more damage you did to him.

My memory of Demon's Souls and the vibe it gave out was that it felt like a horror game with RPG mechanics compared to every other Souls game out there(yes even Bloodborne). The subtle usage of less grandiose drums, more violins, and the lack of a choir, helped give it that feel along with walking around in nearly pitch black environments. While I like that they're going for a "Bloodborne 2" vibe with the soundtrack, it sort of removes that horror feeling in exchange for a grandiose sound with bits of horror sprinkled in, like Bloodborne.

It's hard for me to explain this, but Bloodborne and Demon's Souls had two different types of ways of feeling 'tense' and Demon's Souls way of feeling tense was the feeling of barely being able to see what was in the dark because everything was pitch black(most of the game felt like Tomb of the Giants from DeS 1), whereas Bloodborne's version of tense was being able to see a room in the distance but not knowing what was in the next room. I know they sound similar but there's a difference.

This isn't a complaint by the way. I'll enjoy Bluepoint's take on the title, even if it removes a layer of horror from it.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
You can hear the new rendition in their "music of demons souls" video. It's legitimately good i think. It's new and remade, but it has the harpsichord and the melody is still present.

youtu.be

Demon's Souls - The Music of Demon's Souls | PS5

Pre-order now. Available November 12, 2020. Learn More: https://playstation.com/games/demons-souls/ Go behind the scenes with the music of Demon's Souls - a ...
Thanks for the link! And yes, it sounds good, the core of the theme is intact, so that is great to hear!

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
So they're changing all of the OST, or just some pieces? Significant bummer if it's the whole package, it tells me that whoever made the decision to change it did not a have a grasp on how the original OST fit and complemented the atmosphere of the original. It's generally underestimated, but I do feel it was one of the biggest contributors to how much of a unique thing Demon's Souls was.

While the new track is nowhere near bad, it has significant distance from the original in the "more generic" direction, which is a damn shame

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how it will be in the remake but it's hard to really hear the theme in the original because the most dominant noise in that boss fight is the flames in the background and the stoking the flames type sound when you hit the boss. Hopefully the mix in the PS5 version is a bit more balanced.
Can't say the original was all that memorable for me and this is probably why. Those horns sound like the shitty stock horns you get with FL Studio, lol. The new theme sounds amazing. Always love a good choir chant.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PS5 music sounds like it's trying to pretend to be Bloodborne music, but doesn't get why Bloodborne's music was good OR that Demon's Souls and Bloodborne do not have that much overlap in terms of tone.

It looks like most of the same team is working on Demons Souls as did Bloodborne 🤷

People will never be happy with anything different even if it's still just as good as everything else.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Remake OST by a large large margin. Not only feels like an epic boss battle soundtrack. The original one sounded more like a funeral march, dosent really match a very hard boss battle like the Flamelurker one. When i listen the original track, i imagine robe dressed guys marching in a dark alley.

It also helps that the Remake OST is actually good to hear outside the game, while the original one is kinda monotonous. And i say this as someone that owns the original soundtrack on CD. Thers probably 2 songs on the entire soundtrack that are good to listen outside the game.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So they're changing all of the OST, or just some pieces? Significant bummer if it's the whole package, it tells me that whoever made the decision to change it did not a have a grasp on how the original OST fit and complemented the atmosphere of the original. It's generally underestimated, but I do feel it was one of the biggest contributors to how much of a unique thing Demon's Souls was.

While the new track is nowhere near bad, it has significant distance from the original in the "more generic" direction, which is a damn shame

They change the whole OST. Original score instrumentation is too low quality to be left as it is in this remake. If going full orchestra was the right move or not is another story, but the soundtrack needed to be remade as much as the graphics.

Jan 4, 2018
I completely understand when people say they prefer the tone and mood of the original, but to me, it's just overall a significantly better piece of music in the remake and also fits better as a boss track. Really dig the section from about 2:30 to 3:00.

Last edited:

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
The only thing I don't like about the arrangement is that it makes me worried a lot of tracks are going to get the same treatment. This accompanies a big angry demon, so whatever, go wild. But I will be very disappointed if the Old Hero and Dragon God music are also full of tutti and Latin choir.

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
The remake sounds better, grander. While the listening to original, the first thing that came to mind was this:

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
As much as the original is a great piece, the new one is just on another level. You can't compare a digital work to a full live orchestra, the new one is just stunning

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 music sounds like it's trying to pretend to be Bloodborne music, but doesn't get why Bloodborne's music was good OR that Demon's Souls and Bloodborne do not have that much overlap in terms of tone.

The PS3 music's instumentation is weak but tonally it's way more interesting than "ORCHESTRA STINGS AND CHANTING".
Like the SotC remake the Demon's Souls remake feels like an American summer blockbuster remake of an interesting foreign film. Same material with a higher budget and more resources, but missing some of what made the original interesting.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Last edited:

Banjo Tango

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed the Bloodborne and Dark Souls soundtracks, but I never really got into Demon's Souls's (despite loving the game)... I prefer the newer one here, but I do like that the old one was taking an approach other than "choral armageddon".

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
PS3 is a better fit for Demon's Souls.

PS5 is a better fit for Demon's Souls Remake.

I know that sounds dumb but I'm not expecting the remake to match the original's atmosphere. Just like Shadow of the Colossus was different.

So I see it as its own thing.

This is exactly where I'm at and a good way to look at the project. I totally get where people are coming from if they prefer the originals. I don't personally have a deep connection to DeS as my first foray into the series was Dark 2, but the original OST does have a unique quality to it that makes it feel sick and uneasy.

Chalk it up to budget or technical constraints sure, but the end result has character to it.

For what it's worth I like the new Astraea remix too, it's certainly busier than the original but feels tonally correct to my ears.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
As much as the original is a great piece, the new one is just on another level. You can't compare a digital work to a full live orchestra, the new one is just stunning

you can get close, listen to this

lots of fake orchestra used on it, but it sounds good.

Want somber music?

Only the piano is real.

The thing is, the soundfont used is good, unlike Demon's, which sounded very dated even on release day. That's the core problem of Demon's soundtrack in a newly done 2020 game.

Mind you, Dark Souls 2 OST was already criticized for being digital on release. Imagine Demon's today.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Like the SotC remake the Demon's Souls remake feels like an American summer blockbuster remake of an interesting foreign film. Same material with a higher budget and more resources, but missing some of what made the original interesting.

Yo this is such a good analogy. Like it's fine but it's absolutely losing that original jank that inadvertently adds to the overall atmosphere. The smaller budget and scope made for very different sounding music in this case. Yes it's lower quality but it also fundamentally has a different feel as well.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the ps5 version myself, but the original would have benefitted from better virtual instruments

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a person who didn't play PS3 version and have no nostalgia about it, I think PS5 version is much better. I mean it's not even comparable for me!

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Played a ton of Demon's Souls on the PS3. The old music is good, but the new one is amazing. Damn, kudos to the composer and orchestra involved!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Neither.

The instrumentation in the PS3 version is extremely weak and sounds like an old MIDI file. However, the PS5 version loses its entire character and chases some generic chanting, EPIC theme as if this is Dark Souls 3, but like not even as good as those tracks.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
You specifically mentioned " PS5 music sounds like it's trying to pretend to be Bloodborne music, but doesn't get why Bloodborne's music was good "

Which is silly when it's mostly the same people behind both games.
They're going for two very different tones. Bloodborne happens in the middle of the action, and there's this sense that people are going crazy. Demon's Souls happens way after all the action is over and even the antagonists are derpy, pathetic creatures waiting to be put down.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Man Flamelurker was my favorite boss in Demons Souls but I do not remember the track being that weak. Then again, I must have offered my summon there a billion times and couldnt have hummed it if I tried, so it couldn't have been any good anyway. Sounds something you'd put over a scene of a...medieval funeral procession?

Not saying the Remake one is amazingly unique or anything, but at least it sounds good and appropriately hype for my favorite boss.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Never played Demon souls so I have no nostalgia, but listening to both tracks right now I honestly think the original is much better. Sound quality sucks but I love the mood and tone of it. New version is cool though