• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I'm guessing 89.

Is there a reason why full reviews weren't up today? Weird embargo or codes went out late? Or just everyone is busy with all of next gen?

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Watched LobosJR's stream and the game looks great. But essentially it's still just Demon's Souls with a new coat of paint.

Bluepoint's effort can't be dismissed, but I'm still a bit divided about this game as a launch title. I just can't get myself hyped about it. It's great for those that didn't play the original. And I hope these people will delve into FromSoft's library afterwards.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched LobosJR's stream and the game looks great. But essentially it's still just Demon's Souls with a new coat of paint.

Bluepoint's effort can't be dismissed, but I'm still a bit divided about this game as a launch title. I just can't get myself hyped about it. It's great for those that didn't play the original. And I hope these people will delve into FromSoft's library afterwards.
I feel the same, loved the game, but I've a huge backlog and demon's souls PS3 is one of the games i actually HAVE already finished. But a huge percentage of people haven't played it and those people are really lucky they get to play it for the first time on PS5.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): history of drive by trolling, numerous severe infractions. Any future bans may result in severe moderation
It's kind of funny for your big $70 next-gen flagship title to be a port of mid-budget game from two gens ago.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised people feel this game is a 90+. Where were you all when this game came out on ps3? Lol XD the original game on ps3 was robbed. It was way more unique back then when it was the only game of its kind imo.

Is there any new content in this release or something?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

I was thinking this the too other day. As much as I love Souls, I never go back and revisit anything but the latest entry in the series cause the games feels more dated as time passes because From reiterates so much of their ideas.

It's kind of funny for your big $70 next-gen flagship title to be a port of mid-budget game from two gens ago.
Well the new coat of paint does a lot to sell the new console/gen so in that sense it serves its purpose well 😄

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Surprised people feel this game is a 90+. Where were you all when this game came out on ps3? Lol XD the original game on ps3 was robbed. It was way more unique back then when it was the only game of its kind imo.

The PS3 version was definitely robbed. It was a masterpiece that did not get it's recognition. It wasn't until Dark Souls took off that people saw the brilliance of these games.

I think the metascore could be higher for this version of Demon's Souls because people know and love the souls games now.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019

I mean you're leaving out some key points for the sake of your argument. Pretty much the birth of a genre people are still trying to emulate today and the fact that the game is a masterpiece.

I get your point - but also nah.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

It will get the late accolades it deserved in 2009. Kind of like Leo's consolation Oscar.

Up until RPCS3, I would have gladly paid for just a simple remaster that also ran at 60fps, mainly because I still enjoyed breaking out the PS3 annually just to play this game. Now though, we have a 60fps version that looks quite a bit better (barring some questionable "artistic choices" with some of the enemy designs) and is also a decent early showcase for the system. I get why some wouldn't really be all that interested in it though. I think it just depends on how much you still like playing the original. Or of course, if you've never even played the original as well.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
The PS3 version was definitely robbed. It was a masterpiece that did not get it's recognition. It wasn't until Dark Souls took off that people saw the brilliance of these games.

I think the metascore could be higher for this version of Demon's Souls because people know and love the souls games now.
Lots of games like this.

Nier in particular springs to mind. The remake will get 90s probably and then you go back a decade and people were trashing it save for a select few.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
PS3 game is still my game of the millennium... so I guess the original should really be around 100. ;)
Famitsu gave the original terrible reviews across four reviewers... it didn't fit their square frame for traditional games so they slammed it. Reviewers aren't always well fit for something that tries to innovate. Despite such initial criticism, it managed to grab an audience and spawn a completely new sub-genre which very few games manage. It won Gamespot's GOTY 2009 ten months after release facing seriously stiff competition (Uncharted 2, AC 2, Killzone etc.).

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands

Because a whole generation of people did not play it. And even a lot gamers who did not own a PS3. So its not that weird that this will be rated high.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Lots of games like this.

Nier in particular springs to mind. The remake will get 90s probably and then you go back a decade and people were trashing it save for a select few.

Yeah and it's not just with games. Just take a look at famous painters. Van Gogh thought nobody liked his paintings and he actually got criticized by painters of his time. He really struggled with it. Nowadays he is seen as one of the greatest painters of all time. He probably would not have believed you if you had told him back then.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yeah and it's not just with games. Just take a look at famous painters. Van Gogh thought nobody liked his paintings and he actually got criticized by painters of his time. He really struggled with it. Nowadays he is seen as one of the greatest painters of all time. He probably would not have believed you if you had told him back then.
That Doctor Who episode still makes me cry whenever I see it on YouTube.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of games like this.

Well lots of people were trashing it for the gameplay which isn't the same in the Nier remake so if opinion turns around it's more understandable lol.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised people feel this game is a 90+. Where were you all when this game came out on ps3?

Personally on 360, so didn't dive into the series till Dark Souls.

Honestly, partly fault of Sony, that never bothered to give it the time it probaby deserved even when the Souls series became a hit. It was never in PS Now for tell you something, and you can be sure me and others would have signed to a couple of months of PS Now on PS4 just for PS3 Demon's.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Played the original way back when a few times. The remake is terrific and I had reservations when watching previews. It doesn't feel like the original. Instead it's its own thing and it stands out for it.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020

It was such a new style of game then I think a lot of people were instantly put off by the idea of a game that was 'deliberately' difficult or had fun and reward base around a high level of challenge. I hated it in on first play, same with dark souls, but Bloodborne broke through for me and I fell in love with them all and they just click at a point, I think many people have similar stories.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

image.png

I mean the OG has an MC of 89.
Considering that the remake has all of that and is a graphical showcase for next gen, a 90 seems like a safe bet.
Critic consensus over the Souls games has also risen since then, and as others have said this is the legacy title that started it all.

The only point I can see for scoring lower is the "it's just the same game" or the opposite "it's not exactly 100% faithful" from someone.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Surprised people feel this game is a 90+. Where were you all when this game came out on ps3?
Lmao, what do you mean "where were you all", if you can find a single discussion about Demon's Souls' reviews on social media/forums without someone jumping about how unfairly judged the game was at the time, I'll give you this lol.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
image.png

I mean the OG has an MC of 89.
Considering that the remake has all of that and is a graphical showcase for next gen, a 90 seems like a safe bet.
Critic consensus over the Souls games has also risen since then, and as others have said this is the legacy title that started it all.

The only point I can see for scoring lower is the "it's just the same game" or the opposite "it's not exactly 100% faithful" from someone.
That's not how stuff works though is it. An 89 from 11 years ago is generally less than an 89 now. Times change and all that.

In this case, because of the massively increased interest in Souls and the fact this runs and plays better, I think 90+ is likely.

But as a generalisation, just saying "this got 90+ 20 years ago and this is a better version, therefore it's guaranteed to be higher than 90+" is not true.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
For those who haven't already played Demon's Souls to death, I think this might just be one of the greatest launch titles ever. But as I'm more familiar with the nooks and crannies of Boletaria than those of my own disgustingly haggard face, I feel like there's nothing there for me. I'm so very envious of the people coming this fresh, and I'm also happy that as a first party title, this'll deffo be on PS Plus in 2 years time.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
People talking about greatest launch games and no mention of Soul Calibur. For shame Era.

I had a 360 so I'm looking forward to playing this for the first time.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watching a LobosJr stream. It is like a beautiful looking, performing and sounding case of Deja vu I have ever seen.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it's still a 1:1 remake of the clunkiest, most rough Souls game with a paintcoat of new graphics.
I don't know what to expect.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017

After positive impressions a lot of people were importing it from playasia I still remember how shocked everyone was about the quality of the game on old place.

Everyone besides Sony that is

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
So, having played this game on the PS3 back in the day, and looking at the game now, it's so interesting to see the direction the "series" has gone. Demon's had some truly original and creative boss encounters, though admittedly not all of it worked for everyone. Starting from Dark Souls 1 the games have strayed more toward twitchy, reactive fights and mostly given up on the quirky, off the wall nature of this gem. Don't get me wrong, I love BB and Sekiro for their relentlessness, but it would be so cool if From had been more experimental in between and made something like a Demon's Souls 2. It's also just crazy to play the foundation of such an influential series again with new eyes. Bluepoint have done some amazing things that most won't even recognise. They absolutely made the correct choices by sticking with the core elements and dressing up (modernising) other less important aspects. It's such a tough balancing act.

This game is a must play for any fan of the series to see what inspired it all, but also how it differs from the rest.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
So, having played this game on the PS3 back in the day, and looking at the game now, it's so interesting to see the direction the "series" has gone. Demon's had some truly original and creative boss encounters, though admittedly not all of it worked for everyone. Starting from Dark Souls 1 the games have strayed more toward twitchy, reactive fights and mostly given up on the quirky, off the wall nature of this gem. Don't get me wrong, I love BB and Sekiro for their relentlessness, but it would be so cool if From had been more experimental in between and made something like a Demon's Souls 2. It's also just crazy to play the foundation of such an influential series again with new eyes. Bluepoint have done some amazing things that most won't even recognise. They absolutely made the correct choices by sticking with the core elements and dressing up (modernising) other less important aspects. It's such a tough balancing act.

This game is a must play for any fan of the series to see what inspired it all, but also how it differs from the rest.
100% agreed. The original might be the inspiration for the entire genre, but it's not the best From game IMHO. This is GOTY material now. BP is amazing

Oct 27, 2017

What you described is the reason it is my favourite game in the series. I loved it so much.

Oct 26, 2017
89 for the original game is a great score, I don't understand the "the original was robbed" argument.

I'll get to this remake eventually, in no hurry to get a PS5. Demon's Souls (OG) is still my favorite souls game after all this time though.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
89 for the original game is a great score, I don't understand the "the original was robbed" argument.

I'll get to this remake eventually, in no hurry to get a PS5. Demon's Souls (OG) is still my favorite souls game after all this time though.

Sony did it dirty really. They didn't see its potential at the time and didn't market it well enough. Shu recognizes this and he's regretted it ever since.