• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's Going to Win South Carolina?

• Joe Biden

Votes: 585 39.2%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 853 57.2%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 24 1.6%
  • Pete Buttigieg

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • THE KLOBBERER

Votes: 16 1.1%
  • Tom Steyer

Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The amount of cash Bloomberg has dumped in WA advertising is borderline astonishing. I don't think I've never seen this many ads in a primary period, let alone from one candidate.

No joke, to date I've seen maybe two Bernie ads, 0 Biden, 0 Warren and easily 80+ Bloomberg ads. Every time I watch Youtube, there he is again.
His ads are all over Texas too. Tons of TV and radio stuff in this area. And Texas ain't cheap.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I haven't browsed YouTube without Adblock ever and I'm not starting now.

Probably a bad idea to send the guy whose YouTube algorithm has leftist videos a Bloomberg ad anyway.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never got why people didn't want Bloomberg at the debates. He's basically been able to define himself because no one has the resources to attack him in the non-early states. This is the first time that a lot of people will actually get to see criticism of Bloomberg.
His ceiling thus far is at best 2nd in every state and much lower at worst. Giving him more legitimacy by putting him on stage only helps him.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Stacey Abrams, the voice of the movement against voter suppression, is out there defending Bloomberg trying to buy an entire election with his billions, which apparently is no different in her view to having charisma or a dog.

I don't think she should be in serious contention for VP at this point.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
His ceiling thus far is at best 2nd in every state and much lower at worst. Giving him more legitimacy by putting him on stage only helps him.

Hard disagree. A lot of the stories about his shitiness are based in Twitter and left wing internet media. Having him get wrecked by the other candidates on national television will do 10x as much damage because the networks will have to talk about it for he next several days.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Bloomberg ads are out in full force here in Virginia too.

television, radio, everywhere.

I can't escape this asshole.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy this at all. He literally has the airwaves to himself in so many states. He's already been legitimized, and because no one can counter him, he basically has free rein to define himself. This is their first chance that anyone else has to attack him with a wide audience.

Bloomberg ads are out in full force here in Virginia too.

television, radio, everywhere.

I can't escape this asshole.

to my point above...

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda shocked people actually think Bloomberg would be helped by debates. Without debates, the only place where he can be challenged are town halls, and those tend to be much easier to shrug off pointed questions from. In a debate, the other candidates are free to rip him to shreds and he's a relatively easy target.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Kasich is probably the only Republican that was hoping for the Senate to remove Trump. He's been positioning himself as "The answer" for years and as an Ohioan who lived under his attempts to disenfranchise voters and make voting harder among other things, it makes me sick to hear even some dems call him the "reasonable" choice.

I thought Kasich and the large contingent of Ohio RNC not supporting Trump would make Hillary winning Ohio a 50/50 chance. Yet Trump won the state by a significant margin.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hard disagree. A lot of the stories about his shitiness are based in Twitter and left wing internet media. Having him get wrecked by the other candidates on national television will do 10x as much damage because the networks will have to talk about it for he next several days.
He isn't going to get wrecked by every candidate. They'll spend maybe 5-10 minutes on his criminal justice policies where he'll own up and apologize, he'll get hit for his money in politics and then have the remaining two hours to pitch his campaign.
I don't buy this at all. He literally has the airwaves to himself in so many states. He's already been legitimized, and because no one can counter him, he basically has free rein to define himself. This is their first chance that anyone else has to attack him with a wide audience.

to my point above...
Thats fine. The airwaves in the southern states aren't winning him the race. It doesn't matter.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda shocked people actually think Bloomberg would be helped by debates. Without debates, the only place where he can be challenged are town halls, and those tend to be much easier to shrug off pointed questions from. In a debate, the other candidates are free to rip him to shreds and he's a relatively easy target.

Not just that, Bloomberg has the charismatic qualities of a wet blanket. For all the faults of Trump, he does have some degree of emotional awareness and plays well to his base of chuds very well.

Any time that Bloomberg speaks probably isn't a good thing for him. I don't know what sort of conservative suburban moderates feel but Bloomberg's apology to stop and frisk was awful.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Kasich and the large contingent of Ohio RNC not supporting Trump would make Hillary winning Ohio a 50/50 chance. Yet Trump won the state by a significant margin.

It was especially odd considering how many communities here were helped by the auto bailout. For them to give up the ghost and go red is really disheartening.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not just that, Bloomberg has the charismatic qualities of a wet blanket. For all the faults of Trump, he does have some degree of emotional awareness and plays well to his base of chuds very well.

Any time that Bloomberg speaks probably isn't a good thing for him. I don't know what kind of conservative suburban moderates feel but Bloomberg's apology to stop and frisk was awful.

Bloomberg truly is the Anti-Trump: Actually a billionaire, not pretending to be one, Intelligent and devious, yet also a black hole of charisma.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Any time that Bloomberg speaks probably isn't a good thing for him. I don't know what kind of conservative suburban moderates feel but Bloomberg's apology to stop and frisk was awful.

Yeah, I've come around on this one. Look at how Bloomberg's big attempt to gotcha Bernie Bros today went lol

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Stacey Abrams, the voice of the movement against voter suppression, is out there defending Bloomberg trying to buy an entire election with his billions, which apparently is no different in her view to having charisma or a dog.

I don't think she should be in serious contention for VP at this point.
Especially stanning for someone who practiced one of the earliest forms of voter suppression - locking up black people. She really is showing an impressive lack of judgement here.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
If no-one else ends up hitting 15%, Sanders gets 100% of the delgates, right? 👀
Based on those numbers, certainly possible.
Correct. Seems like a long-shot, but it'd be amazing to see the Chuck Todds of the world try to make excuses for it.

Even if that poll is right, people will be hitting 15% on the second alignment.

Right, forgot that part. Definitely not gonna happen, then.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im worried that he either competently defends himself or that the Biden thing happens of people just choosing to not attack him over very obvious shortcomings.

I wouldn't worry about it, he hasn't done a good job of deflecting so far, has no charisma or nostalgia to prop him up, and isn't friends with anyone on the stage the way Biden is. Plus, the media loves drama, and there's a much greater chance that he or the other candidates would be asked about his horrible past if he's present than if he isn't.

He's red meat to literally every single other person on the stage. Even people like Pete and Klobuchar could differentiate themselves from Bloomberg the way they failed to do with Biden.

If keeping him out of the debates were a good strategy, he wouldn't be in 2nd place anywhere. Bloomberg already has legitimacy and his choice of platforms. If ignoring him actually worked so far, I would have no problem with it, but since it hasn't, a new strategy is needed.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The amount of people agreeing with Bloomberg on Twitter and slamming Bernie for his "attacks" on Bloomberg is a scary sight to see.
Bernie really can't do anything right. Either stand still and let other candidates and pundits attack him or slightly push back in which case he immediately is labeled as a divisive and toxic candidate.
Yeah Bernie might have some online supporters who are a bit offensive but that happens when you have such an incredibly large online fanbase. Other candidates with a big online platform also have toxic supporters but you never hear about them. And I swear I've seen wayyyy more Neverbernie accounts than Bernie or Busters. But of course Bernie is the one who's divisive.
And either way, this is so incredibly irrelevant in the great scheme of things. Who cares about Twitter users when the future of the country is at stake? Attack him for his policies for god sake. But they can't or won't but they have to attack him on something so they create this false Bernie Bro narrative.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
My 15 yo brother said he and all his friends get Bloomberg ads nonstop on YouTube and they're sick of it, lol.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If keeping him out of the debates were a good strategy, he wouldn't be in 2nd place anywhere. Bloomberg already has legitimacy and his choice of platforms. If ignoring him actually worked so far, I would have no problem with it, but since it hasn't, something new needs to be tried.
Again its irrelevant. 2nd place in a few states isnt getting him anywhere near the nomination. His legitimacy is going to compounded when he gets on a national tv with the other candidates and spends 90% of the time pitching his platform and 10% of the time getting attacked. Idk what people are freaking out about with the money hes spending to get a bunch of 3rd and 4th place finishes mixed with a couple 2nd place states.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Sweet Jesus this Nevada poll!

I was checking Data for Progress before saying anything, and they are pretty much OK considering NH and Iowa. Not too far off the others. After two nail biters, if Sanders can win this one with a bigger margin it´s a huge plus going in to SC.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn´t going to, but fuck, one final take on this.

I don´t believe for one second in working with Republicans because this has never worked in the past and they have only gotten more radical. For any candidate you need to fight for 51 and house majority.

The US will not function properly as long as Republicans are calling the shots. We might want the same end result, but i don´t believe in the old process anymore.

Not like a joke, but yes, Democrats should have a plan to stay in the majority for a long period of time, like in the 30s and 40s. With the demographics changing, there´s a very good argument for Republicans losing Texas in 10-15 years and then not winning for the foreseeable future.

You're ignoring what I actually said.

Romney is what the GOP could be in some not horrible future. You asked what GOP official isn't horrible, and I told you. Romney is essentially the best shot at some type of "normal" opposition party, and in such a future the possibility of having a non-broken government is actually achievable.

However, your plan is essentially, always win no matter what while ignoring the very real drastic swings that trifecta governments get smacked down with. Now obviously this is the reality, but having been presented with a possibility of having actual functional government when you don't control all branches, you scoffed at it.

Like, no shit, the country can't function with the GOP in any position of power. That's not a hot take. The hope is the GOP can and will destroy itself and out of the ashes something can be born that isn't pure insanity. Romney is the best shot at that imo, and hoping that the GOP dies and is reborn as something not insane isn't some fucking evil thing to wish for like you're painting it out to be, or at all right to attack someone and call them "Joe Biden", with all the clear insinuations that you aiming for.

Status
Not open for further replies.