• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me. The moderate wing is completely not only ignoring the progressive wing, but insulting them, treating them like garbage. Like we didn't learn from 2016; when a large enough portion of your base (particularly those fired up ones) thinks the guy or woman you put in front of them is boring and antithetical to their own views, they won't vote. So instead of trying to win them over with truly progressive policies their candidate of choice says they should stop complaining as they have it easy and thinks all their ideas are dumb. But hey he isn't Trump, that should be enough?

I as a progressive will vote for Biden even though I think he's a corporate clown and obvious old man brain, because Trump is just that bad. But not everyone will think like that.

Just not being Trump isn't enough.
I mean, people are saying Sanders' campaign's electoral theories of relying on turnout of young people and winning with only 30% of the vote are dumb not to be mean, but because they're legitimately bad ideas that were going to self-destruct his campaign eventually. That's not a reflection on the supporters though, that's people going after Sanders and his upper leadership for making bad decisions.
You know what? This actually makes sense. The most likely way for Biden to not be the nominee is if god forbid something happens to him.

Would Bernie be the nominee then? I seriously doubt it even though he'll have the 2nd highest number of delegates. It'll be a total shitshow.
It wouldn't be. Biden's delegates would control the process. You'd have an outside shot at Warren given the economic issues ahead of us, but not Sanders.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me. The moderate wing is completely not only ignoring the progressive wing, but insulting them, treating them like garbage. Like we didn't learn from 2016; when a large enough portion of your base (particularly those fired up ones) thinks the guy or woman you put in front of them is boring and antithetical to their own views, they won't vote. So instead of trying to win them over with truly progressive policies their candidate of choice says they should stop complaining as they have it easy and thinks all their ideas are dumb. But hey he isn't Trump, that should be enough?

I as a progressive will vote for Biden even though I think he's a corporate clown and obvious old man brain, because Trump is just that bad. But not everyone will think like that.

So when exactly was Bernie and his 30% going to reach out to the other 70% of the party instead of attacking them?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
ap797686111421-d3a4899c2bd6130f5d04c107b8066e0d1a6f9ab4.jpg
Never paid attention to the dude on the left until today.

This explains so much.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did almost ask something like "Are you talking like the Disney villains" while I was trying to square away the details on the McKinsey stuff so I guess in that case the answer is yes. Aside from Bateman being arguably a more recognizable character I would be happy to replace the reference to, say, one of the characters of Mad Men if it would make you feel more comfortable.
It goes way beyond just Disney villains. The whole gross history of the trope has been written about a lot.

whatever. Pete should've simply tried not being a sociopath
"whatever"

Really? Seriously, folks, there's a long history of this stuff.

I'm all for being critical of Pete but likening him to a sociopath DOES fit in to a long, disgusting and homophobic tradition of framing gay men in this way.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Ah yes, because Bernie never went on SNL ,

No, it is not about where Warren went. It is about WHEN she does it. But anyway, she will not endorse Bernie, so all of this is moot. Class solidarity first and foremost, so who cares. Warren thinks she will gain most by safely endorsing Biden when it is not hurting her standing (so when he becomes the clear winner).

All of this is second darkest timeline, to be honest. I hate it.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
No, it is not about where Warren went. It is about WHEN she does it. But anyway, she will not endorse Bernie, so all of this is moot. Class solidarity first and foremost, so who cares. Warren thinks she will gain most by safely endorsing Biden when it is not hurting her standing (so when he becomes the clear winner).

If those multiple Michigan polls are in any way reliable, it's really untenable to lay Bernie's failures at Warren's feet.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Many people fail to realize this.

It's why I think, despite not being able to poll better than Biden NOW, that Sanders is the better option to win the GE. Most dems will vote blue no matter who is the candidate, but there is a chunk of people that won't vote for Biden in the GE. Also, there's a chunk of non-party people that could vote for Sanders in the GE. How many? I don't know, but I fear it may be enough to grant Trump the victory against Biden.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I cannot fathom thinking Elizabeth Warren isn't endorsing Bernie Sanders because of class solidarity.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, who cares what that woman thinks? If she believes the best way to push progressive ideals forward is to step back or eventually endorse the winner of the primary, she's just a bad person because that's not the same thing I believe. She owes me the courtesy of doing what I think is best!

Stop denying her ability to disagree and make decisions in good faith to further the ideals she's spent her career in congress demonstrating to everyone are important to her. At worst it's sexist garbage, at best it's condescending and dismissive.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot fathom thinking Elizabeth Warren isn't endorsing Bernie Sanders because of class solidarity.
Funny how when anyone doesn't endorse Bernie it's because of the "pharma lobby" or a lack of "class solidarity." Everyone who doesn't endorse is immediately doing it because they're a sellout.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
A reason Warren may be hesitant to endorse Bernie:

In 2016 Warren held off endorsing anyone in part because she wanted to have influence with Hillary over her administration appointments. After the primary, Warren worked with Hillary in coming up with those appointments. I don't know how successful Warren would have been in getting the personnel she wanted in the White House, but from what I've read it sounds like she was making inroads.

I imagine something similar is happening this time, with Warren wanting to be able to influence Biden's pick personnel appointees. For Warren, personnel is policy, especially as if you look at her plans so much of what she had in mind is done through the executive and administrative actions. She wants people in place who would implement those ideas. For example, much of the cancellation of student debt is done through executive action. An administrative appointee favorable towards such cancellation could lead to it still happening even in a Biden presidency.

Combine that with what I imagine is her belief that Bernie doesn't stand much of a chance of winning the nomination, I can understand why she wouldn't want to risk being able to have that influence.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I want people who need insulin to not go broke
Good news!: Not only do we have a candidate currently leading the pack with an actionable plan to lower the cost of drugs to the costs found in European nations, but out current House of Representatives has already passed a bill to lower the cost of medication!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Sorry I want people who need insulin to not go broke
I dunno Biden's plan for prescription drug prices sounds pretty good?

Biden is more aggressive in his proposals to address health care consolidation and high drug prices. Biden promises to "aggressively use [the President's] existing antitrust authority" to tackle market concentration across the health care system, though he doesn't specifically call out the hospital sector, where exploitative mergers have been an especially serious problem. On prescription drug prices, Biden is more forceful.

Limiting drug price increases to consumer inflation.
Limiting launch prices for branded drugs.
Enabling Medicare to directly negotiate drug prices.
Importing drugs from other countries.
Taxing direct-to-consumer drug advertisements.

The prescription drugs bill that Democrats passed in the House three months ago also would control costs and makes a point of targeting insulin prices.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, maybe try listening to queer people instead of explaining away their concerns when they see homophobic tropes being perpetuated.

I'm gay and familiar with the gay villain trope, and my interpretation was much closer to his than yours. So am I allowed to say that Buttigieg is a platitude spouting ideologically empty and cynical psyop golem or is that also (internalized) homophobia somehow?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
"whatever"

Really? Seriously, folks, there's a long history of this stuff.

I'm all for being critical of Pete but likening him to a sociopath DOES fit in to a long, disgusting and homophobic tradition of framing gay men in this way.
So a gay man runing for public office cannot be accused of amorality based on his record without invoking homophobic tropes? This seems very similar to the Ilahn Omar tropes issue in terms of problematic language coming up because of a little bit of levity when attempting to make a real point.

this seems like it could be problematic. maybe there is more nuance here considered outside of the context of popular media where some gay men are most assuredly willingly embedded in oppressive structures for their own personal advancement.

I'm just a cis white man but i can assure you that we are not the only ones expressing that opinion about pete buttigeg

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Warren probably isn't going to endorse Bernie because all signs are pointing to another losing Tuesday. Why endorse the guy who is going right back to being an Independent when it's all said and done instead of working with the eventual primary winner and within the party to make strides in pushing for a more progressive agenda? She is really good at what she does, let her work.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Moderates will lay the blame on the left when Biden loses. An entire generation of voters will go full doomer.

Amy Klobuchar will lose to Stephen Miller in 2024.

I'm a prophet, hmu for sports betting lines.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I know what will work, then, pivot back to the drone strike comment!"
I think there are probably some good arguments for voting for Biden over Bernie - mostly due to his actual performance results in the primary. "People were mean to me online, so I can't support good policies", is pathetic and insulting no matter how many times you restate it. That's a lot of people's lives you're throwing under the bus because of being petty.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Yeah, who cares what that woman thinks? If she believes the best way to push progressive ideals forward is to step back or eventually endorse the winner of the primary, she's just a bad person because that's not the same thing I believe. She owes me the courtesy of doing what I think is best!

Stop denying her ability to disagree and make decisions in good faith to further the ideals she's spent her career in congress demonstrating to everyone are important to her. At worst it's sexist garbage, at best it's condescending and dismissive.

Get the hell out with these garbage accusations, honestly.
Imagine if the roles were reversed.

Bernie fails to win a single state.
He hovers at 6-7%.
Warren is at 30%. She needs his support.
And Bernie goes on Rachel Maddow, and says: "I dunno, I keep getting big nose emojis and anti-semitic messages on twitter. I NEED SPACE.".
Then he goes to the SNL.

This is unimaginable bullshit. Bernie would back Warren in a reverse situation in a heartbeat, and you know it as well. This has nothing to do with their sex. Nothing.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

If that Michigan poll is accurate, Sanders is about to walk into another buzzsaw and her endorsement wouldn't make a difference. If Warren can get some commitments or appointments out of Biden in exchange for her endorsement, that's at this point far more beneficial to the progressive movement at large than some brownie points with very online people on the internet.

Many people fail to realize this.

It's why I think, despite not being able to poll better than Biden NOW, that Sanders is the better option to win the GE. Most dems will vote blue no matter who is the candidate, but there is a chunk of people that won't vote for Biden in the GE. Also, there's a chunk of non-party people that could vote for Sanders in the GE. How many? I don't know, but I fear it may be enough to grant Trump the victory against Biden.

And you don't think at least some of the people who turned out en masse for Biden believed this would go both ways and independents would either stay home or vote Trump if Sanders was the nominee? Swing states like Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania contain more moderates/conservatives than liberals so just turning out the liberal base at the cost of the more conservative/centrist vote may just help to rack up the popular vote in California while losing the states that determine the election.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Where is that in the data though? 2016 was lost in the Midwest and it will be won or lost there again in 2020. States like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin were all lost to Trump after several elections in the blue. 2018 showed us that progressive candidates don't have much play outside of safe blue districts. Sanders won states like Michigan in 2016 so tomorrow we'll have an answer to whether that was due to the moderate vs. leftist battle or because Clinton isn't well liked in the region for a variety of valid and invalid reasons. I'm willing to bet it's the later and Sanders didn't win due to any special sauce or nascent revolution.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie Sanders doesn't win this world is done for. It is truly that hopeless from a climate perspective. It has absolutely broken my heart to see that the democratic establishment and media would rather push for Joe but I guess the world is just broken.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gay and familiar with the gay villain trope, and my interpretation was much closer to his than yours. So am I allowed to say that Buttigieg is a platitude spouting ideologically empty and cynical psyop golem or is that also (internalized) homophobia somehow?
Obviously queer people are not a monolith and you're allowed to have whatever take you want, but it doesn't change that comparing Pete to a serial killer locks in to a long, ugly tradition of casting gay men as sociopaths.

So a gay man runing for public office cannot be accused of amorality based on his record without invoking homophobic tropes? This seems very similar to the Ilahn Omar tropes issue in terms of problematic language coming up because of a little bit of levity when attempting to make a real point.

this seems like it could be problematic. maybe there is more nuance here considered outside of the context of popular media where some gay men are most assuredly willingly embedded in oppressive structures for their own personal advancement.

I'm just a cis white man but i can assure you that we are not the only ones expressing that opinion about pete buttigeg
Your use of the word nuance is key. There's a way to discuss Pete without comparing him to a serial killer.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
If that Michigan poll is accurate, Sanders is about to walk into another buzzsaw and her endorsement wouldn't make a difference. If Warren can get some commitments or appointments out of Biden in exchange for her endorsement, that's at this point far more beneficial to the progressive movement at large than some brownie points with very online people on the internet.

Hindsight is 20/20. Last week, this momentum could have been halted with a Warren-endorsment, POTENTIALLY.
If someone thinks that Warren is simultaneously not an important endorsement (therefore no effect if she did it) and everyone else critiquing her is "dismissing" her, the double standards across those two stances are magnificent and horrifying at the same time, to be honest.

Obviously queer people are not a monolith and you're allowed to have whatever take you want, but it doesn't change that comparing Pete to a serial killer locks in to a long, ugly tradition of casting gay men as sociopaths.

Pete is a racist scumbag though who actually worked for McKinsey. Lets get real. Its as if no one would be able to criticize Milo. Everyone should criticise him, no matter his sexual identity.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
A reason Warren may be hesitant to endorse Bernie:

In 2016 Warren held off endorsing anyone in part because she wanted to have influence with Hillary over her administration appointments. After the primary, Warren worked with Hillary in coming up with those appointments. I don't know how successful Warren would have been in getting the personnel she wanted in the White House, but from what I've read it sounds like she was making inroads.

I imagine something similar is happening this time, with Warren wanting to be able to influence Biden's pick personnel appointees. For Warren, personnel is policy, especially as if you look at her plans so much of what she had in mind is done through the executive and administrative actions. She wants people in place who would implement those ideas. For example, much of the cancellation of student debt is done through executive action. An administrative appointee favorable towards such cancellation could lead to it still happening even in a Biden presidency.

Combine that with what I imagine is her belief that Bernie doesn't stand much of a chance of winning the nomination, I can understand why she wouldn't want to risk being able to have that influence.

It's definitely a bit of the realism that Sanders doesn't have much of a chance mixed with her pragmatism to want to actually get something done rather than risk it all for purity or whatever.

But I think also people are looking at this too rigidly. Sanders fans seem to think the only metric to ever measure these politicians by is policy and that's just not the case. There's a lot outside that, as you said including personnel hiring. Demeanor is a lot, too. Pragmatism. Leadership style. Results. There's just a lot that I could name. Warren really did feel to a lot of her supporters as the sort of Goldilocks between the usual people in the Democratic party and someone like Sanders. She was the policy, but she also played nice when she could, made alliances when she needed to, and always looked to be effective. She was the calm, rational voice in the room. Her supporters wanted democratic unity above other campaign's supporters and Sanders supporters want that the least. That says a lot. She wants to work with the people who are out there every day already working. Bernie calling out Planned Parenthood as "the establishment" back in 2016 is a massive difference. You think Liz would do that? Fuck no.

So yeah sure on a piece of paper they're both the closest, but really they're still very different people who assembled very different coalitions and ran very different campaigns.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are probably some good arguments for voting for Biden over Bernie - mostly due to his actual performance results in the primary. "People were mean to me online, so I can't support good policies", is pathetic and insulting no matter how many times you restate it. That's a lot of people's lives you're throwing under the bus because of being petty.

Building coalitions is an important part of politics and some on the lefts inability to realize how toxic the dirtbag left is...is unfortunate.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Something to meditate on: why did everyone take so long to support or endorse biden? Why did people prefer every other candidate before him?

Before starting in on a "shame on you" speech to get people to vote for biden or (lol) be excited for him, just reach back and remember yourself from a couple weeks ago. It may help you empathize with why people aren't psyched.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Folks really thinking Warren's 3 percent is holding Bernie back? I think she was the most capable person on that stage. But an endorsement is not going to change a whole lot, her voters have moved on.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something to meditate on: why did everyone take so long to support or endorse biden? Why did people prefer every other candidate before him?

Before starting in on a "shame on you" speech to get people to vote for biden or (lol) be excited for him, just reach back and remember yourself from a couple weeks ago. It may help you empathize with why people aren't psyched.
Because people had orders of preference and we didn't have any actual elections for a year+ to actually test candidates' ability to put together a winning coalition.

Then SC happened and it became clear literally only Biden had a path to the nomination out of the moderate candidates remaining, so they were asked to drop and endorse, and they did. Had Pete or Klobuchar or anyone else been able to make inroads with black voters this election would look a lot different. But no one else did.

Status
Not open for further replies.