• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That jingle still gets randomly stuck in my head from time to time for no reason.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

ROCKAPELLA!

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The combo of this and Square One TV were my world back in elementary school.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that always gets Lynne Thigpen mixed up with CCH Pounder?

ForBeers

Oct 27, 2017
Defunctland is a really great channel. Thanks for posting this, saving this to watch later.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends from college was a contestant as a kid. I will never not be jealous of that fact.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Even as a kid I always felt that the last challenge for the final detective, given the time-limit, was almost impossibly difficult.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a kid I always felt that the last challenge for the final detective, given the time-limit, was almost impossibly difficult.

I think that was the case for a lot of kids game shows.

Thinking about all those nick shows. Nick Arcade, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare. All had really hard final challenges.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
What a great TV show, one of the few examples of educational content done right.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a trip seeing this now, I remember watching this when I was a kid and how new it looked, now its all grainy but the colors really popped back then. Lol the disclaimers were always jarring to me as a kid. You telling me countries change names?!

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I think that was the case for a lot of kids game shows.

Thinking about all those nick shows. Nick Arcade, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare. All had really hard final challenges.
Very true. And when I got older it became increasingly funny to me because I was like; "goddamn, these studios really dont want these children to win free Casio keyboards..."

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Rockapella's still doing their thing.

They did a tribute to the show a couple of years back.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Awwww, didn't realize Lynne Thigpen passed away all the way back in 2003. RIP

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Great video watched it earlier today. I had never heard of "Where in North Dakota is Carmen Sandiego"

Where_in_North_Dakota_is_Carmen_Sandiego_game_cover.jpg

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I didn't realize there was a French Canadian adaption of the show. Looks like the final segment takes place on a map of Canada.

Edit: They even had their own acapella group lol.

Oct 28, 2017
The warrant!

What a great show. Thigpen was great as the chief. The other role I always think of her in was as the DJ in The Warriors.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Defunct, and Bright Sun Films have some of the best content when it comes to shit like this, Theme Park history, abandoned places, etc.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
I loved how they handled the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union.

From Chicago to Czechoslovakia and back!
From Chicago to the Czech Republic and back!

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was huge into this show back then. I didn't know it lasted 5 seasons and each season was sooooo many episodes. I must have watched it all even though I don't remember those later seasons much. But I know I must have because I also watched Where in Time. I remember being disappointed Rockapella wasn't in the sequel. Nor was the host.

I always felt bad for the kids in the final round because there's no way I could remember all those countries either.

With how rapidly geographical locations change names I'm surprised they had so few mistakes. Back then I didn't know that kind of stuff happened all the time so this explained that disclaimer she would say at the end of every episode.

Watching this brought back so many memories from the show from 25-30 years ago.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I got to watch a live taping at the mall when I was a kid. My parents wouldn't let me wait in the autograph line to meet the host or the chief.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching quite a few episodes when I was a kid. It didn't do jack squat to help me with world geography in my life, but damn it was entertaining.

That last round where the kids were running around on the map were always super tense.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Aw man. I just looked up what the cast were up to these days and I had no idea that Lynne Thigpen (the Chief) passed away in 2003. Damn.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

At least it wasn't as impossible as Legends of the HIdden Temple.

Great video watched it earlier today. I had never heard of "Where in North Dakota is Carmen Sandiego"

Where_in_North_Dakota_is_Carmen_Sandiego_game_cover.jpg

I had to stop the video and Google it at that point to see if that was real. It was so ridiculous that I was sure it was a joke.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Man, when the teacher rolled the TV cart into class we knew it was about to pop off with some Carmen Sandiego. Was even better when it was an episode I had already seen so I'd just rattle off all the answers and my classmates thought I was a genius.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played that game in English class in primary school, I don't think it was standard part of the curriculum, I think our teacher was going through some stuff.
I later learned that there was a TV show and for some reason I assumed it predated the game.

Cool video.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I never stopped to think about that; but yeah back then when we were growing up there was a TON of kids based shows like that; gameshows and the like. Double Dare, Carmen Sandiego, Hidden Temple, Guts, Nick Arcade and on and on.

I have no idea, but it made me wonder if theres still a lot of those and we just arent aware of them because we have no kids and don't watch much broadcast TV at our age now.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
This was also one of the gameshows I would've killed to be on back in the day (along with GUTS, and Legends of the Hidden Temple). That final geography challenge though was downright impossible. I think the In Time one was even worse, because if they didn't get it right they had to do some physical activity that wasted a whole bunch of time.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Always look forward to Defunctland especially when it's things I grew up with but vaguely remember.

Defunct, and Bright Sun Films have some of the best content when it comes to shit like this, Theme Park history, abandoned places, etc.

Expedition Theme Park is another great channel that is remarkably prolific and amazingly high quality.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I had to stop the video and Google it at that point to see if that was real. It was so ridiculous that I was sure it was a joke.
I thought it was a joke too but it seemed out of place and unusual for this channel to throw in a joke like that when he's trying to make a historical documentary. I knew it had to be crazy enough to be real. I mean I've seen a Monopoly clone based on the county I used to live in. It wasn't licensed but it's enough to know that stuff like this can happen.