• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think?

• I'm excited for this

Votes: 3,859 73.9%
  • Did nothing for me

Votes: 611 11.7%
  • Eh, it's alright

Votes: 750 14.4%

• Total voters

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Seeing people hyped for this game lets me know that we, as gamers, never learn.

Kojima keeps getting people hyped for games with insane, nonsensical plotlines, and AAA production values that have a good chance of being mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be good, but I think we have to have measured expectations here being as this game could be another MGS4 or Phantom Pain.
This is the quintessential "Why doesn't everyone have the same taste as me" post.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying to figure out for like 6 hours where I had heard someone address a baby directly as Baby before, and I finally figured it out

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
the focus on America is kind of weird though for the context of this game. this is a world wide event, why should Sam give a crap about saving America instead of all of humanity

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Excited to play a Kojima game without the legacy of Metal Gear hanging off of it. The past, present and future worlds (and maybe the moon) are free to explore, guys!

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to be excited by Death Stranding, but after every trailer I see I just feel sort of left cold by it. It's a mix of not knowing what the hook is, or forming a strong enough idea about the gameplay -- all the while there being a rather self-important veneer to the whole thing being a bit off-putting. I mean, look, it's Kojima, so I know the game will *probably* be unique and a wild ride, but right now I just feel like the trailers all agree this thing is damned important and awesome, but every slice of gameplay I see, insofar as I can accurately pinpoint as gameplay, leaves me scratching my head and asking "But why?"

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It looks like entire theaters of war reproduced with the dead soldiers from that specific skirmish who lost their lives to play their last moments on repeat as if they were condemned to do so.
We've seen WW1, WW2, and Vietnam so far right? I wonder how many wars they plan on depicting. American Civil War? Korean War? Iraq? Afghanistan?

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017

Kojima keeps getting people hyped for games with insane, nonsensical plotlines, and AAA production values that have a good chance of being mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be good, but I think we have to have measured expectations here being as this game could be another MGS4 or Phantom Pain.

i mean MGSIV won GOTY on Gaf...twice. MGSV for all of its many issues was also well received.

maybe just maybe...people liked those games and thus are hyped for this because of that?

People need to stop acting like Kojima's last two games were hated by more than a vocal minority. He's being treated like he's Inafune or something.

The moment you realize that many of the so called disasters around these parts aren't the massive flops people act like they are is the moment you should realize why people are hyped for things.

This idea that everyone is this jaded person who hates more things than they like in the name of being critical is the norm clouds so many of yall view of the world.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Except Phantom Pain is one of the greatest games of the generation. So why don't you let people appreciate his work?

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't feel as ambitious as MGSV to me but it's understandable now considering it's a fraction of MGSV's development time.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

yeah lets ignore the external causes as to why MGS4 and TPP ended up like how did because kojima

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California

So you want people who are excited to instead have a measured approach to the trailer/game? If it ends up being bad, then it's bad. Not really a big deal aside from being disappointed. It's not the end of the world. MGS V had a pretty disappointing story, but the gameplay was incredibly fun.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm an Apocalyptica fan now.
God damn where does Kojima find all these song gems?

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what causes BTs to spawn. Imagine them popping up while you're roaming around with this many items.
That would be fantastic. It would give a great reason to do a recon run first. Take almost no baggage and as many weapons as you can, plan your preferred route while equipped to deal with any enemies or BTs that may appear as you do that, then go back and do a package run with no space for any weapons or even melee fighting, and execute it perfectly.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Your opinion isn't everyone's. The only Kojima game to disappoint me was MGS 5 TPP and even still it was a good fucking game, just lacking in a lot of places I didn't expect (good boss fights, characters and moments). That was a very unique situation and If he and his team got to finish it, it'd have probably been my favorite game ever, surpassing MGS3.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything about this is super rad and bizarre a Kojima as fuck trailer. I wonder how much gunplay there will be, it looked like Sam was firing some sort of carbine at one point. Could this have full on MGSV-style combat on top of UPS simming and ladder building? There's almost too much going on to speculate, and I know better with Kojima.

Can't wait.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the focus on America is kind of weird though for the context of this game. this is a world wide event, why should Sam give a crap about saving America instead of all of humanity
he is directly tied to the united states, heck the president might even be his mother in law, giving him direct funding (bridges might be a family name) Bridget Bridges (kojima is very literal and weird with his names and why Fragile refers to sam as Sam Porter ... bridges) His wife on the photo who is pregnant might be the presidents daughter

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
did something change as far as a PC release or was the plan all along for this to be a PS4 exclusive?...or is it a timed exclusive?

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
Did you miss the motorcycle and other vehicles present in the trailer?
No, I didn't.

My point isn't the walking/biking or whatever. How I get from point A to B isn't the problem, all trailers is good on showing the world travelling.
My point is, if it's a open world game, it need to be diverse and fun to do things in it specially when everything is so empty and traversing the world has such a big role in this game.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

Life's too short. The hype cycle is always the best part of even great games. Just enjoy the ride.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There was a cataclysmic event in the United States which fractured and basically made the nation as a whole cease to function.

There are pockets of civilization standing, and the former "United States" is now "The United Cities of America".

Bridges is likely a government effort to connect and "bridge" the remaining pockets of civilization back together in an effort to stymie off extinction.

There is a lot of detail and exposition within the trailers that have been shown, it's fairly simple to understand the core concepts of the game, both gameplay and story wise.

My prediction:

The cataclysm took place in DC (Very likely for obvious political allegories of our fractured nation and society) and possibly near Arlington National Cemetery.

The reason "Hades" is filled with deceased soldiers is because the event that caused the calamity turned over one of the largest gravesites of soldiers in human history, and what ever "the others" are, are basically possessing or creating ghosts of the last things these humans were doing, which in this case were off fighting their respective wars.

It's why in the trailers we see such a wide gap between soldiers and technology.

And as a poster below pointed out, the WWI imagery and "pointless war" is likely designed to denounce the use of violence and killing in this game.

This game is very much attempting to make a clear statement that killing people is not the goal and will likely be punished in some way, either by gameplay and/or story wise.
Thank you much for your breakdown, it truly went over my head and you explained it so well. Cheers!

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019

How being another MGS4 or MGS5 is a bad thing? Those were really good games, mostly aclaimed. They had issues of course, but in the end they were well received .

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Nov 2019 is sooner than I expected, how time flies. I've had Death Stranding preordered since February 4, 2017 according to Amazon. Hyped to see what Kojima comes up with. I don't need to understand the premise, gameplay, or impressions of others. I'm diving in to see for myself.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until we see a walkthrough 20-35 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay, we still don't know what the core gameplay loop is. I just don't understand anyone who can define aspects of the gameplay shown yet.

5 seconds of shooting - Looks Janky
10 seconds of CQC - looks boring
Assembling a ladder and rope - Walking Sim

Like huh? What is wrong with some of y'all? Wait for the full gameplay blowout this is still very much a trailer about the concept of the game.

I mean, that's why I've posted multiple times about wanting to see longform gameplay. The concept isn't enough for me

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019

MGS4 and MGSV are the only Kojima games I've played, and I absolutely loved 'em. And Death Stranding's heavier sci-fi slant is even more up my alley.

So uhh... all aboard the hype train, choo choo!

Besides, hype isn't necessarily the same as getting your hopes up with unreasonably high expectation. I learned my lesson on that one in the PS3 era.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
did something change as far as a PC release or was the plan all along for this to be a PS4 exclusive?...or is it a timed exclusive?
PC version hasn't been mentioned since Sony got involved. So you can either be hopeful and take them not straight up saying it's not coming to PC as a sign it is or assume it's not based on it being a fully funded Sony owned I.P, using one of their studios engines. Up to you really, none of us know for certain at this point.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's no "we" in your opinion, especially when you're stating a minority opinion about universally acclaimed games like MGS4. 94 metacritic is bad now. Whew lord some people on this forum seem to have absolutely nothing better to do with their time besides be negative about positive things like edgy brahs.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Also seeing as cliff is wounded in the beginning, it appears to me he may have developed that baby tech, and then died somehow, got .. and now is on some weird mission in hades, like some mercinary, having dolls as a representation of babies, like he is without clear memory, but still has these strands.. of his persona.

So my theory on Cliff is that he became obsessed with finding a solution to keep people linked to the real world. (death stranding causing craters when you die and if you dont have a connection to the real world you get lost in hades, and get absorbed by it) so he developed the Bridge Babies (BB's). Bridge babies being his.. well baby project! (damn you kojima for naming things so literally, makes it hard to explain.) So at some point he died, (the trailer opens with him singing to the BB with blood on his face, slowly dying) and got lost into hades, he died before his project was complete so he has no real connection to come back. It also explains the dolls, they are like representations of the BB's to him. maybe he is trying to communicate (Dead men tell no tales). and he literally haunts you in the afterlife, his soul corrupted by the underworld.

I will keep things a touch topical but here's my speculation:

1. If we look at the more normal version of Mads, who I think is a scientist linked to the BB project, we see him through the eyes of BB (and as aforementioned, the first BB).
  2. I think he was or belonged to the group of people who used the BB tech for the first time to travel to the other side/Hades. It was there that he got caught or trapped whilst violating the rules of life and death. Given the images of the babies, I think the BB he used to crossover failed and so he tried to recreate it and suffered multiple failures (those broken toy babies). Being the only living entity in the realm of death, I think he eventually psychologically got corrupted becoming the first living dead. The real question then becomes, is his character naturally immortal (unless killed)?
  3. That analysis video I spoke of in an earlier post makes me wonder that being the first living dead who is in possession of his fundamental mental faculties, is he now a mission from entities in the underworld?
  4. Finally, (if you have seen stranger things, then you know that hubris and curiosity do not mix) I wonder whether the experiments that doomed Mads to Hades also left a door open that eventually grew and spread across country as intersecting points in realities. If so, then why could Mads not simply come back through one of these intersections? Was he trapped far away from them?
  5. One of the most fucked up things that game can propose pertaining to BB (again as seen in the trailer), that the babies may not be fully human but rather synthetic and that those broken babies with nails in the head are failures or cast away shells for when (according to that analysis video) people use them to come to the land of the living.

We've seen WW1, WW2, and Vietnam so far right? I wonder how many wars they plan on depicting. American Civil War? Korean War? Iraq? Afghanistan?

Indeed. Given the game takes far in the future also makes it possible that we may see fictitious wars.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
i mean MGSIV won GOTY on Gaf...twice. MGSV for all of its many issues was also well received.

maybe just maybe...people liked those games and thus are hyped for this because of that?

People need to stop acting like Kojima's last two games were hated by more than a vocal minority. He's being treated like he's Inafune or something.

The moment you realize that many of the so called disasters around these parts aren't the massive flops people act like they are is the moment you should realize why people are hyped for things.

This idea that everyone is this jaded person who hates more things than they like in the name of being critical is the norm clouds so many of yall view of the world.

For real MGS 4 and MGS5 were both fantastic games. Like the worst you could say about MGS V is that it wasn't very "Metal Gear" which eh... I personally don't agree with but like goddamn. The man has had a pretty solid track record.