• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
This will probably be the most decisive Kojima game since MGS4. I can see people loving it just because it's Kojima, but I can see others just noping out. All over the place.. the more I see.. the less excited I get.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yikes. No thanks as of right now for me. I need to see way more if this if it is ever going to be in my library. The game just looks boring to me? I think Kojima and his team always "try" to be extremely high brow and have way too much exposition and convoluted themes and dialogue and then they pile on top of that with stuff like " I am making a new genre, a new game type called "Strand" and all the other egotistical, pretentious talk that always sounds like " I am smarter and more connected to the world than anyone else on the planet". This whole game and it's marketing and interviews come off as pretentious, look at me, I have all the best words and the highest intelligence BS to me. Wow, I am angry at this game for some reason...I guess I am tired of Kojima just like I got tired of Christopher Nolan or Clint Eastwood...there is just a certain amount of arrogance, self service and narcissism in all of this.

I hope it's good for the people who are into it, because the production vaues look great, but I think I am a hard pass at this point. 95 meta though?
It's amazing how you wrote so much but didn't explain beyond your intense hatred of Kojima why you don't like the game.

This will probably be the most decisive Kojima game since MGS4. I can see people loving it just because it's Kojima, but I can see others just noping out. All over the place.. the more I see.. the less excited I get.
"I can see people hating it just because it's Kojima, but I can see others just loving it."

Anyone can play this stupid little game.

Dec 28, 2017
I love the game concept and the gameplay mechanics. One problem I have are the cutscene and I think are the lowest in quality in the entire kojima career.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
What an asinine jumble of words. People play games for myriad of reasons beyond just 'fun'. Storytelling, immersion, creativity, freedom, exploration, mechanics.

All are avenues that lead to immense potential satisfaction when playing a game.
Your comment is like saying that movies can't be good if it isn't a comedy. I mean, if you're not laughing and having fun, why even watch anything? It's ridiculous.
All the reasons you give to play games NEEDS to be fun, call it fun, call it enjoyable or amusing, or whatever way you like. But if exploration is empty, or storitelling is uninteresting and mechanics are dull, all of it equates to be boring.

Comedy is not the only fun genre in movies, a good movie is always fun, same with games. A powerful drama is fun, and intricate thriller is fun.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'm hoping we can get other players to deliver cargo for you and vice versa.

Just heads up. The Saturday gameplay will revolve around Private Room (the personal room we saw at the end of the gameplay)
Kojima says it won't have any fast action so I wouldn't expect any kind of combat or anything.
Also says Norman's fans might like it.

Sounds like we're getting more shots of Sam's ass

Dec 31, 2017
I really enjoyed the drop in/drop out of MGS5 even though the world was open world, made the game feel more active and interesting. The demo isn't entirely bad, but I do find it really slow and the combat part in the middle of the presentation seems like a step down from the MGS series. The environment does look cool though and story should be good by Kojima standards, although I do have a hard time being interested as I would have much preferred he had stayed with Konami and made more MGS games; these new characters don't really do it for me unfortunately. It does have an MGS vibe to it though that's for sure, but the long walking parts in the demo made it so I had to skip some parts or else I wouldn't have been able to watch the whole thing. I really hope there are a lot more stealth sections though and more action to complement the long walking/exploration parts of the game. I think there should be more 'threats' in the world to keep the player more engaged.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Yikes. No thanks as of right now for me. I need to see way more if this if it is ever going to be in my library. The game just looks boring to me? I think Kojima and his team always "try" to be extremely high brow and have way too much exposition and convoluted themes and dialogue and then they pile on top of that with stuff like " I am making a new genre, a new game type called "Strand" and all the other egotistical, pretentious talk that always sounds like " I am smarter and more connected to the world than anyone else on the planet". This whole game and it's marketing and interviews come off as pretentious, look at me, I have all the best words and the highest intelligence BS to me. Wow, I am angry at this game for some reason...I guess I am tired of Kojima just like I got tired of Christopher Nolan or Clint Eastwood...there is just a certain amount of arrogance, self service and narcissism in all of this.

I hope it's good for the people who are into it, because the production vaues look great, but I think I am a hard pass at this point. 95 meta though?

I'm not judging the game based on the creator, nor his claims, pretentious or not. I'm judging it based on the systems and the concept ideas that are presented to me and I feel ashamed that other people are not seeing that.

Look, it's just look like to me as you're angry to Kojima and you want to voice it to the others.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima said you basically create weapons in bathroom. Your piss, shit, the dirty water after Sam takes shower can all be used as weapons.
So far we saw Sam's blood working as weapon against BT (The red grenade), and Sam's dirty shower water also used as weapon (the white grenade which slows down BT's movement). Wonder what piss and shit will do.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Game looks SO.FUCKING.WEIRD!
I love it! I mean, this is the type of bizarre stuff I love with the video game medium.

Please keep funding unique stuff like this, Sony!

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly very excited for this game. It's the right amount of chill and stressful especially when I just want to sit down with a game and discover without feeling overwhelmed, the weird story is just up my alley, and the sound direction is so good.

Also

Sounds like we're getting more shots of Sam's ass

I came here for this quality content and Kojima is delivering it. Between this and Mads, who am I to say no?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can't wait to watch this.

This is the first Kojima console game that I won't have or buy a console for in at least 15 years - I was still betting on the forever ago mentioned PC release until a while ago. I'm gonna enjoy watching a let's play of it though.
Without having seen this footage yet, this looks very different from most games and with a very unique flow - which makes it a game not suitable for everyone.
I don't see it winning a lot of GOTY awards, but not because it's of bad quality but because it's almost niche in it's approach to open world gameplay. I can see people and reviewers both form very different opinions on this game.

Also on the whole: "People are gonna build cities in this" comments that are floating around - I can't see them having produced all the necessary assets and not using them until people are coming together to build something. That would be truly insane. The multiplayer is surely gonna be unique too but I can't see them going that big. That's some sequel approach for a team that's used to working together. Not for a first project.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima said you basically create weapons in bathroom. Your piss, shit, the dirty water after Sam takes shower can all be used as weapons.
So far we saw Sam's blood working as weapon against BT (The red grenade), and Sam's dirty shower water also used as weapon (the white grenade which slows down BT's movement). Wonder what piss and shit will do.

Piss gotta be electric damage and shit has to be earth damage. Hire me, Hideo.

Mosse

Oct 25, 2017
All the reasons you give to play games NEEDS to be fun, call it fun, call it enjoyable or amusing, or whatever way you like. But if exploration is empty, or storitelling is uninteresting and mechanics are dull, all of it equates to be boring.

Comedy is not the only fun genre in movies, a good movie is always fun, same with games. A powerful drama is fun, and intricate thriller is fun.
"What did you think of Shindlers list?"
"It was fun"

I think engaging or entertaining would work better in those cases. I would say many games I've played or movies I watched were not fun but I really enjoyed playing/watching them.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kojima's games tend to always review super well, but I feel Death Stranding will be the most divisive.

GOTY for me though.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018

Shit will blind or stun the enemy
Piss will inflict a debuff. *2 damage that you can inflict on the enemy (Jarate style, like in TF2)

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Interesting. The best thing I can say is that this game has a distinctly kojima vibe to it which is a good thing. I think I'll play it in theatric mode or whatever.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I really liked everything we saw in the Presentation.
My only real fear is that it will turn out a bit like No man's Sky, a game with incredible breadth and a lot of interlocking systems, but not very much depth and stuff to do.
It's simply not possible to really say if this will be the case right now and typically, the moment to moment Gameplay is not the problem with Kojimas Games.
Yet, I still am a liiiiitlle bit worried that, for example all the cities, dwellings etc are just the same terminal over and over (again, like in NMS) again without a individual physical space or NPCs, which would very much cripple the feeling of exploration (for me personally) they are going for.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I love the emphasis on 3D traversal. From putting down ladders to cross gaps, going down ropes, balancing your self at slopes, weight affecting movement and stamina...etc. I think it's cool for an open world game to put emphasis on that.

But the rest... eh, I'm not feeling it. From the story to the combat. Even the open world itself is giving me flashbacks to MGS5's empty wasteland of an open world. Like using those mechanics in an urban environment with proper interiors would have been far more interesting.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I have 2 questions:

How can people judge the graphics or the locations in this last video? even talking about being superior to rdr2 with a blurry as fuck gameplay video? Do you have some 4k version?

Is it me or almost all animation except maybe the walking and balancing are kinda shitty? They feel like a step back from mgs5.

Noshitting on the game, i have my copy already in preorder, just curiosity.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like it can be pretty immersive. I'm disappointed that the people you make deliveries to are all holograms though. At least the online component looks neat.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I have 2 questions:

How can people judge the graphics or the locations in this last video? even talking about being superior to rdr2 with a blurry as fuck gameplay video? Do you have some 4k version?

Is it me or almost all animation except maybe the walking and balancing are kinda shitty? They feel like a step back from mgs5.

This game does not have better graphics than red dead 2; At least not in my opinion. Red Dead has way more going in it than this does. That's not to say this is a bad looking game, I think it is a very good looking game. I just can't wrap my head around anyone saying this is a graphical power house.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this looked pretty fun. Love the hiking and traversal mechanics.

The UI looks overstuffed to me, though MGSV looked the same way in videos but in practice was just fine.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Haven't watched it yet but from the sounds of some post the multiplayer aspect I intrigues me.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
This game does not have better graphics than red dead 2; At least not in my opinion. Red Dead has way more going in it than this does. That's not to say this is a bad looking game, I think it is a very good looking game. I just can't wrap my head around anyone saying this is a graphical power house.
I mean...from old trailer it is a powerhouse, maybe not just rdr2 level of powerhouse.

Some location and some chara in the old trailer are more photorealistic than rdr2, but the last video is too blurry to even judge something imo...

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I legitimately have a question to those saying it is boring. Are you mgs fans? Also what is fun to you in a game? please Enlighten me.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 questions:

not sure if its me but the twitch stream looked tons crisper.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
"What did you think of Shindlers list?"
"It was fun"

I think engaging or entertaining would work better in those cases. I would say many games I've played or movies I watched were not fun but I really enjoyed playing/watching them.

When people talks about games being fun is not in a very strict sense. But yes, the kind of emotional impact that a drama can give you is fun, like it's fun being shocked and terrified by a horror movie. Fun, ineresting, enjoyable... are things that a game should be, and when somebody say this or that game doesn't look fun he's implying that's not fun, or enjoyable, or interesting.

Then what is or isn't fun is a matter of taste, but the need to be fun is inherent to any game.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Wait where did he say that? I know that blood was shown.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I really liked everything we saw in the Presentation.
My only real fear is that it will turn out a bit like No man's Sky, a game with incredible breadth and a lot of interlocking systems, but not very much depth and stuff to do.
It's simply not possible to really say if this will be the case right now and typically, the moment to moment Gameplay is not the problem with Kojimas Games.
Yet, I still am a liiiiitlle bit worried that, for example all the cities, dwellings etc are just the same terminal over and over (again, like in NMS) again without a individual physical space or NPCs, which would very much cripple the feeling of exploration (for me personally) they are going for.
I think the last thing you need to worry about in Kojima game is depth. Just in this demo, you go from placing ladder and rope, to someone making rain shelter with healing music, a bridge that charge your battery, and apparently you can even make highways later in the game.

Just imagine the progression of unlockables from ladder to highway and who know what other gadget the game has.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I mean...from old trailer it is a powerhouse, maybe not just rdr2 level of powerhouse.

Some location and some chara in the old trailer are more photorealistic than rdr2, but the last video is too blurry to even judge something imo...
Is red dead going for photo realism? I always thought most Rockstar games always had a slightly stylized look to them with some more stylized than others. In contrast this game is going for a much more photo realistic look. I do agree that the character models look top notch at the very least. I'm looking at the whole package though when I say graphical powerhouse. Some of this stuff just doesn't look as good as red dead to me. From the trailers/gamplay video of course, you never know what's in store for us once the game actually releases.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
The empty world giving me flashbacks to MGSV which I didn't like at all. Gonna pre-order it, but still...

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, so the gameplay is not that great at the end, I wonder why all the mistery. Environments lool good, but at least from what they have shared there's a lack of variety. Mechanics looks interestig, but the animations and combat scenes look rough.

Some of the art is great, and I hope they have a good amount of variety to offer, as the world as they are showing it feels kind of meh. We'll see, I'm not really hyped about the game but I'm always wanting to try something new, so I'll give the game an opportunity.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
My opinion of the game improved after watching that, but it will still depend on reviews.

I'm playing Astral Chain right now, and its kinda funny the different approaches to how these games were previewed. Not having played a Platinum game before I had no hype and it wasn't on my radar, but they sold me by showing a ton of amazing looking gameplay. Kojima is asking me to trust him and only showing limited parts of the game and not a lot of gameplay. Its just hard because for me MGS1 and MGS3 really delivered. But I had such a mixed reaction to the other 3.