• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 85-100

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 36 3.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 160 14.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 274 25.2%
  • 65-69

Votes: 335 30.8%
  • 60-65

Votes: 102 9.4%
  • under 60

Votes: 128 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Contrarily I think there's always interesting art at the boundaries of any medium. Walking simulators for example are able to tell a story that wouldn't quite work as either a game or a movie. Last And First Men by Johann Johannsson is a "movie" that has barely any plot and is just an audiovisual experience and it works great. Drone or lowercase as a musical genre boils the medium down to the bare minimum to carve out a unique experience. I find little value in trying to gatekeeper what an art medium should be, and instead am much more interested in what each individual experience brings to the table. This conversation goes way beyond DP2, but rigid definitions of genres and mediums don't always need to be upheld. If games that stray outside of that boundary are unappealing to you, then by all means ignore them, but they have just as much a right to exist as games like Tetris that have no narrative through line and focus purely on mechanical execution. Games are games are games.
Not gatekeeping, as I don't care one way or another. But it is worth exploring if the game/story would be better served in another medium.

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends pointed out Swery's Matt Conn connection to me, and now it has me pretty conflicted on supporting Swery.

I had just bought The Missing too, which even has Matt Conn in the credits. Such a shame.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
I really want to know the context of York deadnaming and misgendering someone. Like, the only thing I can think of is he's talking about the character in the past and is unaware that isn't the usual etiquette?

This is what happens from my own recollection...unless I missed other conversations where York uttered the character's dead name? It's only done when referring to the character's past self and their familial connection before they discovering their true self and changed their name. York refers to the character as their new name and preferred pronouns 99% of the time and even gets pretty mad when others don't respect the character in that regard.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I like this post.

I'd say from experience, often some of the most creative, exuberant and unique experiences in gaming have had an inverse relationship to polish, budget and performance.
When I think of some of the most memorable games I've played in the medium, stuff like Deadly Premonition 1, Raw Danger (Disaster Report franchise), The Last Guardian, Grasshopper games like No More Heroes, or even something like Nier come to mind. These are games that are far less likely to receive big budget funding, but I loved every moment of and every bit of expression that the devs had when crafting them, in spite of any technical deficiencies. I'll be here for DP2 regardless of the polish.

Also, I wholeheartedly believe that it's possible to deliberately include technical and performance issues to contribute to your artistic vision. I just don't think that's what's going on with the Deadly Premonition games.

I also really like these posts.

I do think that a lot, if not most of the performance "issues" were intended in the first game. Even if that's not the case I think it unintentionally complimented the game's tones, simultaneously bolstering the atmospheric horror and the surreal humor.

Whether or not that's the case with this game remains to be seen.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens from my own recollection...unless I missed other conversations where York uttered the character's dead name? It's only done when referring to the character's past self and their familial connection before they discovering their true self and changed their name. York refers to the character as their new name and preferred pronouns 99% of the time and even gets pretty mad when others don't respect the character in that regard.
...wait so what's the problem then.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah that's a lot mellower than people were making it sound like Jim said, so it really just cements that I'm gonna have to see it for myself, haha. I am nervous either way of Swery's depiction of voodoo and Creole culture tho.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The Open Critic score is quite fascinating.
opencritic.com

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise Reviews

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 86 critics, with an overall average score of 59. It's ranked in the bottom 15% of games and recommended...
It´s a few points higher than over at MC and even crosses into the low 60s zone of being above average (MC still has a few more scores to count but going up isn´t a given) BUT only 32% of the counted critics liked the game. That´s the Zack Snyder zone of media criticism. My 3rd favorite director ever. Seeing the BvS score was quite exciting for me. Seeing the slightly underperforming box-office less so. Can this game sell? That´s the real question... Switch only is a gamble but more versions at launch might have lead to even more jank.
giphy-2.gif

Jim´s overall mediocre sounding non-review isn't even listed and they collect unscored reviews. This just shows how fringe the man is. He is Mr. DP, got a custom cover for the Switch release of DP1 but doesn´t even show up. Dito for the MC review collection. Is his assessment right? Ask me on Monday but I never cared for his cover sticker worthy 10/10 review and only read it years after playing the game. (The more technically broken but slightly longer PS3 one got a 9/10.) Neither his rating nor the written text represents the game well but that´s Jim for you. I don´t think that anyone misses him writing reviews. Not part of his skillset.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought at 57 in MC should be considered a masterpiece, but Jim Sterling didn't like it : (

I've heard this sentiment elsewhere but I don't think it fits in this case.

When DP1 got infamous low scores like IGN's 2.0 it was coming in as a $20 janky budget game from a relatively unknown studio and developer.

It went on to gather a cult status that made most reconsider and reevaluate the project far more favorably.

So I'd think it's safe to say that by the time Deadly Premonition 2 landed it was more of a known quantity (good, bad, ugly) with a fair amount of hype behind it, in the indie sense.

I imagine this would make most already familiar with the IP be more forgiving with reviews, in the sense that they know exactly what they're getting from Swery65 and are signed up for that style of "janky B-tier with a ton of heart" production style.

Which makes the low scores that much more disheartening.

Like I said, I'm still all over it if it ever gets ported. But not taking into account tech stuff which I don't care about, I was hoping for something a bit more inspiring with the setting, story & cast.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
...wait so what's the problem then.

It felt to me that the game went out of its way to repeatedly say such outdated thinking wasn't okay. It didn't seem problematic to me while playing, especially when taken in context with the plot, but given the reactions and concerns expressed from other reviewers maybe I'm not the best person to judge such things :(

York is an ally.
but he does dead name the character to their face, which may be what people are really mad about but in context it was more like he was letting the person known he was aware of their past familial connections which connected to the case. Other than that and one other time going over the case and referring to the character's past self. I cannot remember another time it happened. He uses their current name and preferred pronouns everywhere else.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this would make most already familiar with the IP be more forgiving with reviews, in the sense that they know exactly what they're getting from Swery65 and are signed up for that style of "janky B-tier with a ton of heart" production style.

Which makes the low scores that much more disheartening.

Like I said, I'm still all over it if it ever gets ported. But not taking into account tech stuff which I don't care about, I was hoping for something a bit more inspiring with the setting, story & cast.
I wouldn't say that. Reviewers don't typically give which game to who based on their tastes. I wouldn't doubt DP2 was deemed a loser's choice precisely because the sort of reviewer that would "get it" picked a more popular game to review and the one stuck with the game isn't that familiar.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
The Open Critic score is quite fascinating.
opencritic.com

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise Reviews

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 86 critics, with an overall average score of 59. It's ranked in the bottom 15% of games and recommended...
It´s a few points higher than over at MC and even crosses into the low 60s zone of being above average (MC still has a few more scores to count but going up isn´t a given) BUT only 32% of the counted critics liked the game. That´s the Zack Snyder zone of media criticism. My 3rd favorite director ever. Seeing the BvS score was quite exciting for me. Seeing the slightly underperforming box-office less so. Can this game sell? That´s the real question... Switch only is a gamble but more versions at launch might have lead to even more jank.
giphy-2.gif

Jim´s overall mediocre sounding non-review isn't even listed and they collect unscored reviews. This just shows how fringe the man is. He is Mr. DP, got a custom cover for the Switch release of DP1 but doesn´t even show up. Dito for the MC review collection. Is his assessment right? Ask me on Monday but I never cared for his cover sticker worthy 10/10 review and only read it years after playing the game. (The more technically broken but slightly longer PS3 one got a 9/10.) Neither his rating nor the written text represents the game well but that´s Jim for you. I don´t think that anyone misses him writing reviews. Not part of his skillset.
1 out of every 3 critics liking the game sounds like a home-run to me considering how homogenous the game-critic sphere is. All the more so since a certain degree of polish and luster seems to be such a requirement for the vast majority of the public to even give any game a fair shake, let alone consider it 'good'.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It felt to me that the game went out of its way to repeatedly say such outdated thinking wasn't okay. It didn't seem problematic to me while playing, especially when taken in context with the plot, but given the reactions and concerns expressed from other reviewers maybe I'm not the best person to judge such things :(

York is an ally.
but he does dead name the character to their face, which may be what people are really mad about but in context it was more like he was letting the person known he was aware of their past familial connections which connected to the case. Other than that and one other time going over the case and referring to the character's past self. I cannot remember another time it happened. He uses their current name and preferred pronouns everywhere else.

Hmm, ok. Thank you for being willing to speak up and try to clarify things- that certainly sounds better than I feared, at least? The potentially racist stuff is absolutely still a problem, but at least this might not be as bad as expected.

Oct 25, 2017
Got kinda worried about the direction the writing was going when we started getting gameplay footage a month or two ago which had a bizarrely racist caricature that felt like it was trying too hard to be hammy and leaned too closely towards something harmful if unintended as such. Swery appeared to take criticism of DP1's character writing to heart and reached out for better understanding which was reflected in J.J. Macfield, so I'm... conflicted by the backwards steps taken.

Also, as someone who can literally not even play DP1 on her PC anymore because the technical jank is showstopping even with a few mods and precautions taken before even booting the game, I really cannot accept the technical debt these games suffer. DP1 needs a massive re-write to better preserve its magic, DP2 should have been better taken care of from the outset.

York is an ally.

In the context provided here, it's only marginally better. What writers can and should be doing is avoiding deadnaming and utilizing more nuanced ways to represent who they are that does not also mirror painful real world experiences that trans people have to suffer daily. Another recently released game very much lead with deadnaming the character, which not only did the trans character a huge disservice, but undercut the effort taken by the otherwise polished writing. The rest of their arc is handled quite well, but we really don't need this "The bad guys are transphobes so they're going to scream the character's deadname!" trope to persist. They can and should be smarter about it.

I'll withold judgement until I've played for myself, with Swery's increasingly more aware and positive representation has earned some benefit of the doubt. But the way characters of color are overly stereotyped and deadnaming is used with any frequency definitely have me concerned.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, spending a lot of time with the game, the assets just feel like they were made for another system then the Switch. It feels like one of those shitty ports that show us not every game should come to the system.
I really imagine this was built for something else, whatever the circumstances.
sorry but that's ridiculous. the switch library is full of games that look and run way better.

Based on the footage of the open world areas the assets look like they were indeed made for another system. Maybe the PS3?
lol

I mean, in a way it is. Some developers are not technically proficient enough to make a performant game. But they could still have an interesting story to tell. Should they not be able to tell that story because they can't make a game that runs well? Or is there room in the vast gaming world for some games that are low budget and/or poorly made yet still have some value? The existence of this game doesn't take away from anyone else and there's still plenty games out there you can play. So even if toybox+swery aren't necessarily technically super proficient, they should be allowed to tell their story. If we required a minimum performance bar for stories to be told then we can't really call gaming an art form. You can always just avoid games that don't pass your performance bar.
well said

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
PS3 games performed worse than 360 games on average. See DP1. So sure. The sequel is a gimped PS3 port. The original ran on PS2 code but a 360 version was also part of the design doc. That´s why the rebooted development could go as "smoothly" as it did. Well, not smoothly but you know. Not that much changed story-wise btw. The project began in the fall of 2004. 5,5 years of on and off development.
www.gamasutra.com

news

news

The 360 original got a 68/100 by 39 critics. MC was fully established back then and the current sample size of the sequel is comparable. The sequel might even overtake it´s review count. ´Tis the year of delays + summer and sites need content. GamePro Germany (the original got a 76%) still has to drop a review for example.

Deadly Premonition

A third-person survival horror action game which puts you in the role of FBI Agent Francis York Morgan. In the process of investigating a murder, you will examine a series of interlocking mysteries in a remote rural town and will encounter an array of complex characters pivotal to the unraveling...
The sequel thus scored lower under comparable conditions but runs better, has fewer problems with loading and is more stable.

Deadly Premonition

A third-person survival horror action game which puts you in the role of FBI Agent Francis York Morgan. In the process of investigating a murder, you will examine a series of interlocking mysteries in a remote rural town and will encounter an array of complex characters pivotal to the unraveling...
The PS3 version even reached a 70/100 with 33 reviews but it is as janky as the sequel. The fun but now likely non-canon 10 extras minutes, slightly better textures, a better audio mix, difficultly balancing that makes the combat less spongy, Move support (!) and out of place costumes for Emily aren´t worth the jump to the PS3 though. The fps take a big hit and it might crash once or twice. Both Switch games do that and the PC version, lol. RE4´s or Dark Soul´s original PC ports were Luxus in comparison. The 360 and Xbone compatible original is what you want. I give that one a 7,5/10 but it´s also one of my favorite games ever as the story is simply unforgettable. A lot of the basic game is Bad TM but you need to finish that investigation with your own 2 hands True Detectives.

Let´s have a look at the German cover, shall we? The greatest game of all time. - Gamona.de
915AuNtILsL._SL1500_.jpg

It´s 3D compatible? Truly a Next-Gen experience.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, that I did not know of. But he seems pretty.. fine about the negative feedback today? Like I don't see him blasting people on Twitter today at least.
honestly. i have no idea where the narrative that swery is laughing off or making fun of the criticisms comes from. he retweeted a video showing how bad the game runs. is that laughing it off? or jokingly calling someone a troll. considering the terrible scores he's taking it pretty well and even retweeting the bad reviews. meanwhile you got creators out there having meltdowns and harassing reviewers over 8s.
as always, people should direct their request for fixes to the publisher (rising star and toybox). the game obviously had a tiny budget, and swery can't spend out of his own pocket to fix things. that's up to the publisher to fund and request patches and fixes. it very clearly is up to the publisher when a game runs this poorly. not one guy who directed and wrote the game. i'm not surprised he's not really responding to the technical criticisms seriously. not much he can do about it. he probably did the best he could with the team and the budget he was given. people out here thinking swery just made the game on his own in his room.
sorry for the rant, but people should know who to hold responsible for this stuff.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Performance seems pretty shameful from videos reviews. I definitely won't be burned twice. Bought the PC version on sale of the original and it's more or less unbeatable because it crashes all the time on top of being a pain to even make it boot.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The original was published by Ignition Entertainment. Everything else by Rising Star Games. Ignition had better quality control but also went out of business. That's videogames for you. Access Games developed the 360 original. They also did D4 directly for Microsoft. Everything else was ToyBox Inc. The signs were there people.
ELnAmgtU4AAm0rt.jpg

There is simply no way that patches will get us to 30 fps outdoors with these conditions but let´s do a solid 24 fps in a month or two, load times of 15 sec every time you enter/exit a building or use the taxi instead of 30 sec and a better autosave in case of crashes. But don´t fix the out of sync audio! I believe in you ToyBox.
But do I?

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Performance seems pretty shameful from videos reviews. I definitely won't be burned twice. Bought the PC version on sale of the original and it's more or less unbeatable because it crashes all the time on top of being a pain to even make it boot.
They got away with the PC version really bad. It left me a sour taste.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
so i was watching JIms video and this is a weird nitpick but what the hell is going on with the bridges? They look like they were meant for another game entirely

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The writing being what fans wanted is already more than enough for me. I didn't expect this game to run well on the switch, maybe some steady framerates you could force on PC when it comes out there. DP other ports and editions had some progression blockers that were no good, besides framerates, bugs that stop progression should be the biggest priority if it has them.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've been asleep and working, so catching up.

Technical issues I had heard well about, so it did land about where I thought it might as they would damper and get in the way of some sequences. It also fluctuates wildly, with some sequences working fine and others (especially outside) being a bit of a mess, but I am happy to hear from a few who have played Deadly Premonition on other platforms it's at least better performing than the PS3 version of Deadly Premonition 1 (which is not a high standard or anything, but is relieving to hear). I already know my tolerance for jank is much higher than most people if there's things in the game I'm genuinely enjoying, so I'm still in to see what I think.

The comments on it's handling of a trans characters is a bit more concerning, though I'm not as damning at this point in time as some. Jim paints a pretty grim picture, but then I also trust Whitney and honestly what Whitney says sounds more likely knowing both what's in the original Deadly Premonition and Swery's works since then. I'll have to see what others in the community end up thinking of its handling, and how my own feelings go. Thomas is a complicated case for me, I actually really liked Thomas as just a person in DP (early in playing the game he was one of my favorite characters, before some of the stuff later in starts coming out), but the handling of certain aspects of the character were very on the verge of being mishandled, though never really felt they went in a malicious direction, just... questionable, if that makes sense? I don't believe for a second the game is actively transphobic, but I can certainly believe it may be misguided in its handling. I feel I'm not the right person to say it is or isn't, but I do want to hear more specific examples (but realize at the moment that's impossible until the 10th due to NDAs), I'm going to be really curious how I feel on it and moreso what those actively in the community and friends I know that are excited for the game that will certainly have more to say on how it's handled will think.

I'm still on board and I expect I'll really enjoy the game, but I am interested in how this game's performance and handling of certain characters ends up being executed and received. It's a bit hard to tell at the moment because I know reviews have heavy NDAs of any content past the first chapter, so exact examples probably won't be available until the 10th (when the NDAs on this stuff lift and more people are playing the game). I do think it's important there's some further discussion on this though, especially when more specifics are known.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
The comments on it's handling of a trans characters is a bit more concerning, though I'm not as damning at this point in time as some. Jim paints a pretty grim picture, but then I also trust Whitney and honestly what Whitney says sounds more likely knowing both what's in the original Deadly Premonition and Swery's works since then.

Yeah it's really hard to discuss this given that any sort of context is heavy spoiler territory. Again I just want to say that I didn't see it problematic while I was playing but content effects people differently....maybe I'm not the best person to judge in this case?. I look forward to the discussions once it is released!

Last edited:

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably get the game eventually, but there's no way I'm paying $50 for a game with these tech issues. I'm hoping there will be a PS4/PS5 release with a better framerate.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

York is an ally.
This is not a fucking ally.

I don't care what it is, a person who does that especially as a way to invoke a Trans persons history is never fucking okay, it is asking to have your fucking jaw shattered and rightfully so.

Swery is largely a good chap and maybe they even meant well, however there is NEVER any right to Dead Name, even more so to invoke a what could be a traumatized history.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Drive-By; Prior Bans for Similar Behavior
annual reminder that Jim Sterling is a piece of shit and only gave the original 10/10 to troll IGN, don't trust his opinion on anything but especially not this game

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California
This is not a fucking ally.

I don't care what it is, a person who does that especially as a way to invoke a Trans persons history is never fucking okay, it is asking to have your fucking jaw shattered and rightfully so.

Swery is largely a good chap and maybe they even meant well, however there is NEVER any right to Dead Name, even more so to invoke a what could be a traumatized history.

Ah I see and understand! I'm so sorry for my own ignorance :( I mainly thought he was an ally based on the impassioned speeches York during the game but I guess it goes to show that even if you have good intentions you can still royally mess up. I didn't even register to me how traumatizing a mention could be for someone which just proves I have just as much to learn. Thank you for letting me know <3 I was pretty confused but I am starting to understand thanks to discussions like this :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think once you play/watch the game play out for yourselves.

Swery said during the livestream he wants to hear what people liked and hated so he can learn from his mistakes and make better games in the future. I really hope he takes this sort of feedback to heart!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
annual reminder that Jim Sterling is a piece of shit and only gave the original 10/10 to troll IGN, don't trust his opinion on anything but especially not this game
Tell us how you really feel.

If I was a reviewer, I'd definitely give DP1 a 10/10. Also if you actually read that review you can tell that Jim genuinely loved the game. Seriously, where is this coming from?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing about that combat was good, and it went for way too fucking long.

There's a lot I love about the first one, but there's clearly some irony in it.

if you liked the game despite the combat, that means the good outweighed the bad. that's different from "so bad it's good". you didn't end up liking the combat because of how bad it was.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
So what's the issue here? Lack of budget? The dev team just slacked? Was made janky on purpose, but it got out of hand?

Also, on that note, has Swery ever worked with a decent budget? XD

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah I see and understand! I'm so sorry for my own ignorance :( I mainly thought he was an ally based on the impassioned speeches York during the game but I guess it goes to show that even if you have good intentions you can still royally mess up. I didn't even register to me how traumatizing a mention could be for someone which just proves I have just as much to learn. Thank you for letting me know <3 I was pretty confused but I am starting to understand thanks to discussions like this :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think once you play/watch the game play out for yourselves.

Swery said during the livestream he wants to hear what people liked and hated so he can learn from his mistakes and make better games in the future. I really hope he takes this sort of feedback to heart!
Don't say sorry, ya did nothing wrong.

Let me give a basic example and explain why I don't feel Swery did "wrong" so much as this is to say this isn't okay.

My name is Beth (well mostly lol) and my Dead Name is Max. When I came out the very first thing my parents did was ask how could I do this to them? How could I take their "son" Max from them?

I was basically stealing their child and killing them in their minds, their reaction was to tell me directly that I should have killed myself, that suicide would have been better for them and Max.

I don't say this for sympathy but to make a point but more to say an ally would know that if they studied or are close with friends who are trans as my story is sadly not uncommom.

If you are like me and you get Dead Named, it doesn't just trigger the name, it triggers the memories of your own parents wanting you to kill yourself.

So this is why I was so furious when I said they are not an ally, because an ally would know not to do this before making the boneheaded decision to not only Dead Name, but to use the name purposely to invoke a Trans persons history.

Like I said this is just me venting and I do NOT hate Swery or want them attacked in anyway! I just can't let the idea that an "ally" said this shit slide.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Swery took the feedback he got from Thomas'... questionable at best portrayal and DP1 and used that to make The Missing. I trust him to take the feedback he gets for his mistakes here and learn from them for the future.

Deleted member 51608

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
The reported issues with Trans representation and Swery's continued support of a known abuser really put a dampener on my excitement for the game. I might check out a Let's Play one day, but as someone that owns 3 different copies of the first game and got many of her friends into the game as well, it's such a disappointment.

we learn and grow, I hope it's only uphill from here. Nothing is "perfect" but we all have to pick where we draw our own moral line