• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Dafoe Goblin had stuck around..

Goddammit.

83lX3nv.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Zemo and USAgent seem like gimmes, but I feel like after Hawkeye that Yelena would be unlikely to join and I remember Ghost barely doing anything villainous at all. If they want to quickly get positive buzz they should put Agatha on the team.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Zemo and USAgent seem like gimmes, but I feel like after Hawkeye that Yelena would be unlikely to join and I remember Ghost barely doing anything villainous at all. If they want to quickly get positive buzz they should put Agatha on the team.

I wish I understood this weird appeal of "they're villains, but they gotta do hero things!" stories. We have The Suicide Squad. Do we really need Marvel and Sony (since they seem to want to do it too) to make the same movie?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I understood this weird appeal of "they're villains, but they gotta do hero things!" stories. We have The Suicide Squad. Do we really need Marvel and Sony (since they seem to want to do it too) to make the same movie?
The original pitch for Thunderbolts is better. The avengers are gone, so this new team shows up! All new heroes! Only, secretly they're villains. But the more hero stuff they do, the more they like it and the more conflicted they are about being villains!

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm still thinking they'll try and maintain the composition of the original (movie) Avengers for a team so they can even re-do that big reveal shot.
US Agent
Yelena Belova
Abomination
Bullseye
Ares (or Ragnarok, might be a good plot device)
Mach I

Boom, there you have it, the original Avengers made up of villains.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Marvel has been doing supervillain team-ups since the 60s and villains have hooked up with heroes several times throughout the decades. It's not like Marvel is new at this. Besides, there was a lot going on with the Thunderbolts besides villains doing hero things.

I'd be willing to bet that Marvel doing it in the movies is going to be significantly better than The Suicide Squad. Those movies sucked. It most definitely won't be the same movie.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still thinking they'll try and maintain the composition of the original (movie) Avengers for a team so they can even re-do that big reveal shot.
US Agent
Yelena Belova
Abomination
Bullseye
Ares (or Ragnarok, might be a good plot device)
Mach I

Boom, there you have it, the original Avengers made up of villains.

I don't think we'll get Mach I. His original identity was The Beetle, a Spider-Man villain which falls under Sony's control.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has been doing supervillain team-ups since the 60s and villains have hooked up with heroes several times throughout the decades. It's not like Marvel is new at this. Besides, there was a lot going on with the Thunderbolts besides villains doing hero things.

I'd be willing to bet that Marvel doing it in the movies is going to be significantly better than The Suicide Squad. Those movies sucked. It most definitely won't be the same movie.

Don't be ridiculous, just because the David Ayer one sucked doesn't mean the James Gunn one was bad too.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For Thunderbolts comics fans, lets say you only get one: Songbird or Moonstone, who do you pick?

Ultimately I would go with Songbird. But damn, that's a tough one.

Songbird's the one who stuck the landing in regards to making the jump to hero. She also has an interesting powerset. And more Jewish representation is a good thing.

Moonstone has largely remained the same. A villainous manipulator. (She is loads of fun, though.)

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately I would go with Songbird. But damn, that's a tough one.

Songbird's the one who stuck the landing in regards to making the jump to hero. She also has an interesting powerset. And more Jewish representation is a good thing.

Moonstone has largely remained the same. A villainous manipulator. (She is loads of fun, though.)
I just want the words "screaming Mimi" said on screen

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of weird, no real action bonafides here and his only two movies are a YA movie and some other film I've never heard of. The rest of his work is all music videos
To be fair, a music video background seems like it can translate into action films pretty well since music videos are a very visual medium with quite a few well-known directors making the shift:
Michael Bay, David Fincher, Zack Snyder, Spike Jonze, Marc Webb, Michel Gondry, Gore Verbinski, Antoine Fuqua, etc.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Moonstone was cool and nasty with some strong powers. Very good villain. Good in Dark Reign. She could have been used better in Thunderbolts.

Screaming Mimi was more of a natural fit for the Thunderbolts IMO. I think for sure she'll have an important role in the movie.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read this comic but I could see a version of this page working with MCU John Walker. Probably doesn't fit the rest of the confrontation but I think Wyatt Russell could sell the hell out of something like this.

Norman being a misogynist and known for killing a woman (we all know what that "throw you off a bridge" is in reference to), and then he gets his ass kicked by a woman, doesn't quite work with John Walker.

RCO014.jpg

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Would be interesting timing for Thunderbolts. Get them to "replace" the Avengers, have them mess around for a few years and have the Young Avengers rise up to stop them.
Now you are getting it.

People get to finally see the pieces fall into place, especially for people that claimed that Phase 4 is directionless and that Marvel doesn't know what to do after Endgame. It's very intentional that there is no new Avengers and they've been planting the seeds for new teams to appear in their absence.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Norman being a misogynist and known for killing a woman (we all know what that "throw you off a bridge" is in reference to), and then he gets his ass kicked by a woman, doesn't quite work with John Walker.

RCO014.jpg

Ah okay, then yeah if the misogyny is the lynchpin here then you're probably right. There was kind of a hint of that sort of thing with the Dora Milaje but I imagine his experience there probably beat it out of him.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Now you are getting it.

People get to finally see the pieces fall into place, especially for people that claimed that Phase 4 is directionless and that Marvel doesn't know what to do after Endgame. It's very intentional that there is no new Avengers and they've been planting the seeds for new teams to appear in their absence.
Yeah, for sure. Transition time for future phases. Thunderbolts showing up and their origin really is a natural fit for the MCU right now. It's the way the comic universe evolved so incorporating them into the MCU is logical. If they want to continue future phases involving some of the big comic events, tying it altogether with Thunderbolts makes a lot of sense. I like where they're going with this.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
if im understanding this correctly, the next "milestone" movies for the MCU are going to be: thunderbolts (phase 4) -> young avengers (phase 5) -> secret wars (phase 6)?

i guess fantastic four (still no director attached) will start phase 5?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Since they're doing Secret Invasion, I'm worried that Thunderbolts will just be Dark Avengers in all but name.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately shocked it's not a Disney+ show. I'm not as high on this concept as everyone else, but I'm still interested in what it will turn into.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, for sure. Transition time for future phases. Thunderbolts showing up and their origin really is a natural fit for the MCU right now. It's the way the comic universe evolved so incorporating them into the MCU is logical. If they want to continue future phases involving some of the big comic events, tying it altogether with Thunderbolts makes a lot of sense. I like where they're going with this.
Dark Avengers is an easy natural start for the team, but they already have enough potential characters to have a huge roster, so I doubt it stops there with the idea and identity of the team. Especially since a lot of the members are arguably anti-heroes, anti-villains, reformed villains/criminals rather than strict bad guys. It would really throw people for a loop if some of the members ended up being Bucky, Scott Lang, Clint, Yelena, Wanda, etc. even if just for one movie, since it would really set the team apart from the Suicide Squad and make some B-list heroes become A-list heroes on a villain team because of their past
if im understanding this correctly, the next "milestone" movies for the MCU are going to be: thunderbolts (phase 4) -> young avengers (phase 5) -> secret wars (phase 6)?

i guess fantastic four (still no director attached) will start phase 5?
We may unofficially be in Phase 4, but I've heard Feige state a while back that they may not even have phases anymore and by the way that Phase 4 has kept extending beyond the slate we originally had with no end or event or "milestone" (as you put it) to signify the bookending of a phase in sight, I really do believe that they don't have any plans to organize the films the same way, especially not with an Avengers film being that bookend or crossover event film supposed to signify that.