• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Days Gone's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • 60-69

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • 70-79

Votes: 358 37.6%
  • 80-89

Votes: 549 57.7%
  • who needs TLoU anyway? (90 or higher)

Votes: 13 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Repeated pattern of trolling and antagonising other members; long history of similar infractions.
oops.

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Days_Gone_LE_cover.png

Yikes. No need to be a dick about it.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop probably regretting that new deal they offered for this game. I still plan on getting it this weekend. The reviews seem to be about the story and not adding anything groundbreaking. Well i enjoy 3rd person shooters and loot/survival. I dont need a good story or anything like that. So it should be a good pickup for me.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
The development started out with Bend being a small team, about 60 afaik.

Only to finish up did they increase to a 130-ish size studio, which is still quite reasonable.

The game will do just fine in terms of ROI imo.
As a new IP? Time will tell.
Yep! They can exist as a benefit to PlayStation also without just bringing straight sales. Another solid first party game is a benefit to the system overall. Also, let's not get it twisted...I still think even with the reviews that this game will sell well

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
$60 is a lot to expect everyone to pay for a game day 1 to find out for themselves if they're gonna end up liking it or not, review aggregates serve a purpose, if someone is gonna buy a limited number of games in a month, i'm sure many would rather spend their money on something less risky.
but yeah, once a game has been out for a while and prices have dropped and there are tons of impressions online or from friends, more people are likely to buy a game even if the initial critical reception wasn't very good.

Yeah they can be useful as a filter to help your expectations.

- if you're super excited for a game - a 70 or above can indicate 'hey you'll probably like it just fine and overlook some of the flaws'
- If you're super down on the game - a 90+ can indicate 'maybe you should reconsider and take a closer look'
- a really low score can be a warning even if you're keen on the game.

Then of course you can take a closer look at reviews from places you find roughly align with your own tastes to get a more refined opinion.

That all helps you form a choice as to whether to buy, and whether to buy at launch or wait for a sale.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Well a 7/10 is how this has always looked even though I was expecting it to be a better game as a Sony first party release.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
exactly, i don't know where this narrative that a 70 for a AAA game is a good or average score is coming from, it's like people are pretending reviewers are using the whole 1-10 scale, when that's just not true. ~70 score is basically the minimum acceptable score for a AAA game for it to not be considered "critically panned".

there was also the big worldwide preview tour. the game had a decent marketing budget.

Decent for sure. But there's a distinction between GOW/COD?Spiderman Type marketing budgets and Days Gone. A distinction that should be clear. A 20 day add buy in April is far easier to recoup.

It's been on social media since like january/February. None stop.

As it should. Social media adds from a social media giant cost what exactly? This is in game footage we're talking about, uploaded to their own social media accounts. It's social media that spreads the footage via likes, shares etc? The marketing spend is TV advertisements and that started in April, 20 days prior to launch. Sure sony marketed this game but this sin't a Fifa/COD type of ad buy. I'd call it modest at best.

data

Oct 25, 2017
exactly, i don't know where this narrative that a 70 for a AAA game is a good or average score is coming from, it's like people are pretending reviewers are using the whole 1-10 scale, when that's just not true. ~70 score is basically the minimum acceptable score for a AAA game for it to not be considered "critically panned".

there was also the big worldwide preview tour. the game had a decent marketing budget.
I would actually say 70 for an AAA game, is actually pretty bad. You want at least an 80.

My opinion is that with so many good AAA games out there with higher scores, its hard to fight for the players time especially when most have backlogs and limited time. If this was on my anticipated games list and I had a huge backlog of games that were more acclaimed, I'd generally tend towards the better experiences. While scores don't mean much, the positivity surrounding a game can influence decisions on whether to play it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Going to say this right now: Deacon is perhaps the most realistic looking protagonist during pure gameplay segments right up there if not a touch better than Nathan Drake in U4 on consoles.

Whether that comes at a cost to environmental detail given the LoD issues and general pop-ins, I am unsure, but to have attained that level of shader fidelity in an open world game is feat of artistry and engineering.

I do wonder how Arthur Morgan's character looks during gameplay (presumably it is also very close given the overall staggering fidelity and unequivocally much better LoD streaming system for the overall environment).

Jj6HwCd.png

7MEd7dD.png

Last edited:

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Wow what a disappointment this game is. The animations and framerate is horrible and everything just feels low budget for some reason. I was so optimistic so today isn't a good day for me :/

I'm just so surprised. How can this game stand with other Sony blockbusters like Horizon and God of war? This game needed more time in the oven imo.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
marketing is WAY more than just TV ads, there's youtube ads, ads in gaming websites, advertisement in retailers, all of those aren't cheap and are part of the marketing budget.

Indeed. I'm not denying Sony gave the IP a marketing budget. It'd be crazy if they didn't. But I'm saying there is a distinction between a huge marketing campaign and Days Gone. Even prior to launch I had wondered why sony left it so late for an TV ad buy which is still the most expensive way to market a game.

My point was directed at those who are purposely trying to blur the line between a marketing budget and a marketing blowout for whatever reason.

Sell through numbers will hopefully put all of this to rest.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
Going to say this right now: Deacon is perhaps the most realistic looking protagonist during pure gameplay segments right up there if not a touch better than Nathan Drake in U4 on consoles.

Whether that comes at a cost to environmental detail given the LoD issues and general pop-ins, I am unsure, but to have attained that level of shader fidelity in an open world game is feat of artistry and engineering.

I do wonder how Arthur Morgan's character looks during gameplay (presumably it is also very close given the overall staggering fidelity and unequivocally much better LoD streaming system for the overall environment).

full agree i-Lo nice ingame capture ;) this game amaze me OMFG

1556289788-days-gone-20190426161731.png

1556289783-days-gone-20190426162431.png

1556289751-days-gone-20190426153129.png

1556289779-days-gone-20190426161335.png

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
when the photo mode is activated and that we walk with the free camera it seems at times that it is a technical demo, a benchmark so the rendering is bluffing between the light and the finesse of the textures oO (on Pro)

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it reads as a situation of "the oven doesn't want it". It had enough time, budget, care.
Honestly I guess you're right in a way. Sony clearly gave bend studios a lot of time to make it and delayed it numerous times. I guess days gone just wasn't meant to be :(

A damn shame to be honest. This is one of the weakest first party game in a long time

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Absolutely fantastic. That said, I tend to avoid photomode shots for showing off graphics given they sometimes enhance shader quality and detail. If you have any close up gameplay shots of Deacon, please share if and when you have time.

It is a shame about the pop-in and other bugs. The world without those kinds of issues would have been a technical benchmark for open world Sony published games.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Graphically, this game is a powerhouse! Deacon's character model I find to be more detailed than Nathan Drake in Uncharted 4 and Kratos in God of War. The environment is equally detailed and the texture work is bar-none the best I've seen on the PS4 Pro. Having frame dips here and there is a common occurrence in open world games, so I really don't care about that - but graphically I would say this is one of, if not the best looking PS4 Pro games I've seen.

Also the weather effects are some of the best I've seen - at least equal to Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2 and maybe even a little better.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
For those playing it.. how "sandboxy" is this game? How much can you mess around and get crazy kills and whatnot?

The reviews I read didn't really cover that part very well.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the game a couple of hours now and the visual package when it comes to modeling/rendering and the overall look of the environment (and all the weather and lighting) is pretty much unsurpassed. It's almost peerless, though a few games do exist that are in the same zone (Horizon comes to mind).

My only gripe with the presentation is I really really want better melee combat animations. They're often bizarre/janky/lacking impact and smoothness. Gunplay is okay, but, again, I would hope for more consistent hit reactions/gore. Sometimes it's spot on, other times it's non existent. Generally, fighting zombies looks and feels better than fighting humans. Zombies move great (outside of the melee gripes I mentioned).

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
Absolutely fantastic. That said, I tend to avoid photomode shots for showing off graphics given they sometimes enhance shader quality and detail. If you have any close up gameplay shots of Deacon, please share if and when you have time.

It is a shame about the pop-in and other bugs. The world without those kinds of issues would have been a technical benchmark for open world Sony published games.

yes I understand, I will make screens to compare with and without the photo mode.
in addition the camera remains where the photo mode is open / closed.
it is true that bugs and other technical problems are many but then when we focus on what really works .. WOW

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Graphically, this game is a powerhouse! Deacon's character model I find to be more detailed than Nathan Drake in Uncharted 4 and Kratos in God of War. The environment is equally detailed and the texture work is bar-none the best I've seen on the PS4 Pro. Having frame dips here and there is a common occurrence in open world games, so I really don't care about that - but graphically I would say this is one of, if not the best looking PS4 Pro games I've seen.

Also the weather effects are some of the best I've seen - at least equal to Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2 and maybe even a little better.

I've not seen enough of God of War to comment but character animation on UC4 and RDR2 seems a level above what I've seen of Days Gone. Probably one of these reasons the overall graphical presentation isn't getting talked about like those games were.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017

Incredible!

Also the weather effects are some of the best I've seen - at least equal to Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2 and maybe even a little better.[/diveTE]

Thanks for the impressions. Can't wait to get home after work and dive in.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I've always been kind of "meh" about this game. The main character had always looked completely unlikeable, but not in a good way. The reviews don't paint a nice picture either. Nothing new from a gameplay perspective, and I'm especially disappointed about the story being the same old rehashed post-apocalypse/zombie tropes. I guess I'll be waiting for a sale with this one.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me. A 7 but a good premise (open world + zombie) for me, so right up my alley.

Should be coming today, so I'm pumped.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Decent for sure. But there's a distinction between GOW/COD?Spiderman Type marketing budgets and Days Gone. A distinction that should be clear. A 20 day add buy in April is far easier to recoup.

As it should. Social media adds from a social media giant cost what exactly? This is in game footage we're talking about, uploaded to their own social media accounts. It's social media that spreads the footage via likes, shares etc? The marketing spend is TV advertisements and that started in April, 20 days prior to launch. Sure sony marketed this game but this sin't a Fifa/COD type of ad buy. I'd call it modest at best.

I meant paid for social media advertising. Not sony's own channel. Like i scroll down instagram and its none stop days gone, same for a lot of people I know. That's not free marketing.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I meant paid for social media advertising. Not sony's own channel. Like i scroll down instagram and its none stop days gone, same for a lot of people I know. That's not free marketing.

Sure. That doesn't come cheap but it's pennies on the dollar in comparison to a tv ad campaign.

Instagram is $0.70 - $1.00 every time someone clicks your add. And that's if Sony's even paying that? It's common knowledge that companies like instagram cut deals with conglomerates. Facebook has a similar marketing costing structure.

https://karolakarlson.com/instagram-ads-cost-and-bidding/

0.70 per click?

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Gamekult : 6/10

Pros:
- The open world
- The game systems, solid even if they lack originality
- The relation between Deacon & Sarah
- The writing, surprisingly good
- The length

Cons: