• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the good ol' days where a game company could exploit its devs without some meddling journalist reporting on it?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Millenials are complaining?

Easy solution for that. Just call Neil.

a4gPv7R.jpg

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Ross started looking pretty uncomfortable when Jaffe said Days gone was perceived to be "the weakest link in Sony's first party chain"....
I mean, I won't judged the content of the game, but which other game launched in such a buggy state from others SIE studios?
On that front, it's definitively the weakest link.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
As he stated, you are always building ideas for a sequel when you make games like this. I don't think it was in 'active development' more that ideas as he said were being shelved in the original game.
Doesn't mean that they might have started on a few things before pitching it to make it official.
You're right, but now after he explaining his point of view things are a bit different than I first thought lol.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that is hilarious here, it is unclear if the Days Gone director knew where this was going or not, he looks at times very uncomfortable.

That's the first time they have met each other supposedly. When he heard Jaffe wanted an interview, he probably thought it was still 2000's Jaffe.. and he could relate and joke about about similar experiences at Sony. But nope.. as soon as David started talking/pushing his perception of masculinity in the game... I stopped watching. I don't know how Jaffe's other videos are, but he'll have less and less credible people on his show with his approach....imo.

Wish Jeff Ross went to Richard Ham (former Bend Designer) for an interview instead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OCD Guy

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, I won't judged the content of the game, but which other game launched in such a buggy state from others SIE studios?
On that front, it's definitively the weakest link.

Oh yeah he's not wrong. At the time the general consensus was pretty negative. It's only after a while that the tide changed once patches came.

I just found it funny how it was said, and the way Jeff reacted to it. There have been several times when Jeff has wanted a black hole to suck him up.

I'm finding parts of this interview entertaining. It's really off the cuff questions, as opposed to a "proper interview" with prepared questions etc.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
I have a feeling there's a very competitive and jealous nature within sony themselves among the studio. I am not asserting this just have a feeling this sort of culture exists.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like Jeff ross is saying one thing and Jaffe is just completely just saying something else and pushing a narrative truth that he has zero visibility to.

Jeff - "Sony is still very supportive and hands-off, in general they try not to take risks but they still take risks and that's refreshing"
Jaffe - "So , you can't get anything greenlit like syphon filter anymore"

🤷

Oct 25, 2017

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jaffe taking swipes at Jim Ryan and Neil Druckman now

I think he tried to, to see if there was any more to that Jason Bloomberg article or extract something juicy, but it seems like Jeff isn't biting, and is instead implying that Sony has a good balance between being hands off and allowing freedom, but still maintaining some focus on ROI in order to be able to fund the next game or maintain a level of ambition in design.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Jaffe *tries to bring sony down in a passive agressive way*
Jeff "sony is quite hands off and still takes risks. they still trusts developers tremendosly. that's something i miss while working with sony"
Jaffe *tries to trash sony again*

lmao

i have a feeling Jaffe expected this to go in a different direction.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Ross seems to genuinely like Sony a lot and David Jaffe is trying to twist everything he's saying lol

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I have a feeling there's a very competitive and jealous nature within sony themselves among the studio. I am not asserting this just have a feeling this sort of culture exists.

You mean Sony Studios? If so, that's for sure. Santa Monica and Naughty Dog are always fighting for those who do more/better... And there's that phrase from Druckmann saying that ND had to do better on their next game after they saw the Horizon ZD vegetation system.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Probably the only interview for a while. Nothing major - he had replied originally that he would talk to this guy next year, but then deleted it.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I think he tried to to see if there was any more to that Jason Bloomberg article, but it seems like Jeff isn't biting, and instead is implying that Sony has a good balance between being hands off but still maintaining focus on ROI in order to be able to fund the next game or maintain a level of ambition in design.

Which is pretty reasonable and makes total sense from a business perspective. Jaffe is really trying to start something that isn't there. This whole thing is so overblown, it's unreal.

Like, Jeff isn't really saying anything is bad at Sony and people are grasping at straws for something more. This Schreier article is so overblown and this interview is really showing how overblown this whole thing is.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
this idea that days gone was hated by critics for being about a gruff white dude is very funny/stupid to me considering that gow4 and rdr2 both received critical acclaim the year before days gone came out lol

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I feel like Jeff ross is saying one thing and Jaffe is just completely just saying something else and pushing a narrative truth that he has zero visibility to.

Jeff - "Sony is still very supportive and hands-off, in general they try not to take risks but they still take risks and that's refreshing"
Jaffe - "So , you can't get anything greenlit like syphon filter anymore"

🤷
That's basically what I expected from this.

this idea that days gone was hated by critics for being about a gruff white dude is very funny/stupid to me considering that gow4 and rdr2 both received critical acclaim a year before days gone came out lol
Jaffe just trying to push his agenda.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think he tried to, to see if there was any more to that Jason Bloomberg article or extract something juicy, but it seems like Jeff isn't biting, and is instead implying that Sony has a good balance between being hands off and allowing freedom, but still maintaining some focus on ROI in order to be able to fund the next game or maintain a level of ambition in design.

Which they attribute to the plain reason that they're operating in huge budget games but aren't as cash rich as microsoft. which is reasonable.

OP
OP
OCD Guy

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Jaffe: What do you think of Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst compared to Shawn Layden and Shuhei?

He's really fishing now....

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This sounds awkwardly juicy, I think Ill watch VOD later.
TBH, it isn't. Jaffe is pushing a vindictive narrative and Ross is legit trying to keep solid relationships with Sony. Nothing is coming from this interview.

100%

IMO it's very much worth it. How often do we get these kinds of insightful anecdotes of what working in the AAAA industry is like? Yeah Jaffe constantly makes terrible takes but Jeff's doesn't take the bait and his answers are fantastic.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
this idea that days gone was hated by critics for being about a gruff white dude is very funny/stupid to me considering that gow4 and rdr2 both received critical acclaim the year before days gone came out lol
I don't know I've heard those sjw games media folks hate gruff sad white dudes

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's almost like Jeff's perspective sounds reasonable enough and the journalist simply wants juice. /s

Oct 25, 2017
Its also absolutely crazy for anyone who played the game. It is a dude trying to find out what happened to his wife and living by a code of not hurting people who don't deserve it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Herman Hulst is "a great leader, a master at what he does." according to Jeff. Still no juicy nugget for Jaffe to chew on lol.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
What Ross says and what was written in Jason's article gives two different vibes

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Jaffe is a clown so this is really not surprising, I really wish Jeff reached Jason instead of him, I imagine if he can tell these stuff here he could have said the same with Jason or like, any decent Journalist out there.

OP
OP
OCD Guy

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Thats a bad question?

I took it as him fishing based on the negative comments towards Jim Ryan.

Do you think Jaffe wouldn't want a response that unleashes a load of negativity towards things.

To me he's tried several times to fish for something more than a canned PR response.

Jeff doesn't want to burn any bridges so the last thing he's going to do is say anything negatively about people like that.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
So far, this is my take as well. Jaffe is trying to get him to give definitive answers to certain questions; unfortunately, those answers could be the type that burn bridges. Some (ok, a fair bit) of Jaffe's questions are...about leading, but, he did say the beginning that he'll ask any questions that people who donates ask a question.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still vividly remember the amount of salt from Jason during TLOU Part II pre-launch.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
All in all, I think it's an interesting interview and Jeff's input is interesting, even though he can't say much and he obviously has blind spots