• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
Stand there looking cool with a cool voice then go out like a punk anticlimactically? Sounds like Boba.
She had a better death than Boba fett but it's not saying much lol.

As above - Boba's death is extremely goofy, but he's a lot more than just a cool voice who stands there in 5. He outwitted Han and tracked him to Bespin, which sets up the whole final act. Then he successfully escapes with Han, establishing the status quo for the next movie.

Despite minimal screentime and dialogue, he's pretty successful, achieving all his on screen goals until the breakout and undignified final scene where, yes, again he does go out like a punk.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely did. You think the plot of Thor Ragnarok would've been the same if they kept the same tone as Thor 2: the film that convinced us to change our entire approach to this character?
Mostly, yes. Asgard would've still been blown to bits. It's in the title. I think you guys are overreacting with how big of a tone shift the two movies were.
The whole premise of this thread is that there was a plan for Rey, and JJ ditched it for TROS. This is also borne out by the script for Duel of the Fates, which confirmed the plan was to carry forward with Rey as a nobody. And now we have Daisy saying that was the case even on TFA.

So for 2.5 movies, there *was* a plan. The plan was that Rey was a nobody. But having a plan doesn't it mean can't be changed or ignored, as obviously TROS did.
There wasn't a plan for Rey though, in the literal sense. I mean, you can say she's a nobody, but that informs nothing of how her character arcs over the three movies, how she grows into her own as a Jedi (or not), which is the most important. So, nah, they didn't have a plan.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
There is no Episode IX in my book, especially if this is supposed to be the Skywalker Saga. Having Palpatine come back as the all-time big bad makes the whole thing about him. He might not have more screentime than the skywalkers but he has played a more vital role in all of it that it is the Palpatine Saga.

But none of the dialogue makes sense like we all know with the plan at the end and it is understand able since they keep changing up till the shooting time.

Rather watch AotC for 24 hrs than that movie again.

The last REAL Star Wars movie there is.

MV5BMjEwMzMxODIzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzg3OTAzMDI@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
You forgot about TLJ, but this was good too!

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they were originally toying around with the idea of her being related to Obi-Wan?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That's a far stronger claim; all we know is that she didn't know. A lot of actors aren't given out details of their characters in advance, especially twists, and especially if they don't add anything they can work with. In this case the revelation is a surprise to her character as well.
"I literally was told that was she no one" seems like a pretty straight forward confirmation that she was, well, told that Rey was no one! Shortly after TFA came out she also remarked that she was surprised that people were still speculating about Rey's lineage because she thought the movie put that matter to bed already.

She isn't told that Rey is a Palpatine until TROS not because the director is withholding things from the actor, but because JJ didn't come up with that until TROS. And even then, he was also toying with the idea of making Rey a Kenobi, which Daisy has also mentioned.
There wasn't a plan for Rey though, in the literal sense. I mean, you can say she's a nobody, but that informs nothing of how her character arcs over the three movies, how she grows into her own as a Jedi (or not), which is the most important. So, nah, they didn't have a plan.
For better or worse, Rey's arc is built around her origin, and specifically her trying to chase down where and who she comes from, what that means for her role in the story, and how she defines herself accordingly. Rey being a nobody vs. being the descendant of someone who is definitely not a nobody weighs hugely on her character arc. That is, in the literal sense, a plan!

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Like sure, it's dumb, but that was the same movie introduced the literal, physical return of Palpatine with a Fortnite event and had Palpatine hiding out for the last 20 years on a sith planet making a huge fleet of star destroyers with death star planet killing lasers on them. Which was his backup plan in case the first order failed, which he was running using Snoke as a puppet, because he created Snoke in a vat complete with battle scares from Luke on his face or some shit. And they find the sith planet by using an indianna jones dagger that crashed on death star 2 at the end of ROTJ???
I had blocked that movie out of my head because I thought it was okay but figured the more I would think about it the less I would like it. And yeah, after reading your post I'm so deflated by how stupid it was. Sigh.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily have an issue with Rey's heritage either being completely unimportant or shockingly awful. The issue was the atrocious execution. Palpatine came out of nowhere and made it feel like some critical material (connecting VIII and IX) was missing.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Yeah, no shit. That is what Rian Johnson wanted at the time He wasn't planting the seeds for any future story because there were no plans. They winged this shit.

Is this supposed to be a startling revelation? *gasp* It sounds like they didn't know where the story was going!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

They did have an ending idea at least. I think it was that Kylo gets redeemed and Rey takes on the Skywalker name. But then JJ fumbled the final drive cause he can't write endings and doesn't have an original bone in his body.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think we are only seeing the full effects of what being fully planned means for the phase 4 movies and shows, now that Feige runs everything and with double the airtime, thanks to Disney+ shows.
I always felt that they had plans on where they wanted to go to, but these are not always hard and fast, and that the directors and scriptwriters have their agency to do what they want. What they excel in is coordination and communication with each other, and an ability to look at what has been done, and writing something based on past movies while still maintaining some kind of consistency
Especially now that directors and writers know what they're getting into. They used to have a lot of directors dropping off projects because of having to adhere to their overall picture.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
They did have an ending idea at least. I think it was that Kylo gets redeemed and Rey takes on the Skywalker name. But then JJ fumbled the final drive cause he can't write endings and doesn't have an original bone in his body.
JJ might've wanted to go that route, but lack of communication with Rian and Kathleen caused that route to be all fucked up.

I wouldn't blame the movie on JJ. Dude can make a great film and I'm sure he had a bunch of people in his ear telling him what to do.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly, yes. Asgard would've still been blown to bits. It's in the title. I think you guys are overreacting with how big of a tone shift the two movies were.
Yea again, that's not how film making works. That doesn't even take into account post production which can result in a completely different film than intended. You know, the exact thing that made the director of the last film quit in the first place.

I thought they were originally toying around with the idea of her being related to Obi-Wan?
They didn't have an initial official plan and given how TFA was written the answer must've changed a bunch of times while they were filming the movie. Compared to TLJ which arguably has the smoothest production of any SW film ever made based on reports. TROS's production was so messy that you can even find contradictions in the documentary as the writers talk about stuff that either wasn't in the movie or got rewritten after they filmed that part of the doc.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But it was dark and gritty and was loaded with OT nostalgia and Vader murked a bunch of randos in a hallway so therefor it's the best SW film since Empire.
Rogue One has a great climax but it lacks the character work required to carry the emotional weight of that climax. I know it made a billion but I have no idea how they figured that people wanted a show based off one of it's characters.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
For better or worse, Rey's arc is built around her origin, and specifically her trying to chase down where and who she comes from, what that means for her role in the story, and how she defines herself accordingly. Rey being a nobody vs. being the descendant of someone who is definitely not a nobody weighs hugely on her character arc. That is, in the literal sense, a plan!
But it's not a plan of action. You can see where those plot threads might lead, but without any idea of how they actually coalesce, then it isn't a plan. Nolan's talked about it a bit with his Dark Knight trilogy. Obviously he didn't get to do exactly what he wanted because of Heath's passing, but he knew the literal ending to Bruce's story for a while.
Yea again, that's not how film making works. That doesn't even take into account post production which can result in a completely different film than intended. You know, the exact thing that made the director of the last film quit in the first place.
You're telling a guy in the industry that ain't how it works lol only on the internet.

If the title of your story is "Ragnarok", it's still gonna deal with, you know, "Ragnarok".

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the BTS drama of all these films is like 1000x more interesting than the films themselves.
*Backstage drama more interesting than the actual stories being told
*Ongoing storylines and plot threads being changed and upheaved with little to no rhyme or reason, leading to an incoherent mess
*New, exciting characters getting sidelined for the same old motherfuckers who've dominated since the '80s

...Goddamnit, Star Wars has become the WWE!

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
*Backstage drama more interesting than the actual stories being told
*Ongoing storylines and plot threads being changed and upheaved with little to no rhyme or reason, leading to an incoherent mess
*New, exciting characters getting sidelined for the same old motherfuckers who've dominated since the '80s

...Goddamnit, Star Wars has become the WWE!

Yeah except neither Kathleen Kennedy not Sheev Palaptine are anywhere near as vile pieces of shit as Vince McMahon is...

OP
OP
Halbrand

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Easier belt storage.
tumblr_pwuk6pFVpW1w4t7wqo2_540.gifv

This saber and Freddie Prince Jr reprising his role as Kanan really makes me think that someone must've been a big fan of rebels. It's really stupid to have her ignite it with both sides face the same direction though.
Oh, that makes more sense.

I think the single most frustrating thing about TROS is that they attempted to follow through on TLJ by having Kylo state one of the most tone deaf fucking things said in any SW movie.

"They sold you to protect you." 🤦‍♂️

On top of having Palpatine say some dumbass shit like "A scavenger girl is no match for the power in me." as if the movie didn't spend half it's damn runtime explaining that she's powerful because of him specifically. This is how to do a proper followthrough:
It's amazing and sad how it retroactively weakened his own movie as well as Rian's.

I mean, I know the films are still the same and what happens afterwards doesn't really change what them. But still.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How they handled the 3 movies will forever be an oddity. Will be interesting to see how the next trilogy goes.
Gonna guess they make sure they have a general idea of Start, Middle, End next time.
That a company like Disney would take a franchise like Star Wars, and create a new trilogy but with no clear direction is fucking insane to me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You're telling a guy in the industry that ain't how it works lol only on the internet.

If the title of your story is "Ragnarok", it's still gonna deal with, you know, "Ragnarok".
The plot of the film wasn't just "Asgard gets blown up." There are character arcs, set pieces, villains, etc. all of which is vastly affected by the tone of the film. In fact, the writer of the film was literally told to not feel restrained by the last two films because they weren't as well received as the studio heads would've liked.

Rey used Pal's fighting style in the first movie it was always planned and the most obvious surprise because of it.
This is like saying that Obi-wan used force healing on Luke in ANH and that force healing was always a thing in SW. As in, fans coming up with nonsensical explanations behind coincidences. Rey didn't use Palpatine's fighting style, because that's not how SW works. And it shouldn't be how it works.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It will forever blow my mind that they didn't plan this shit out ahead of time, considering Disney was involved. Just played it by ear and made shit up as they went along like Lucas did in '77.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is like saying that Obi-wan used force healing on Luke in ANH and that force healing was always a thing in SW. As in, fans coming up with nonsensical explanations behind coincidences. Rey didn't use Palpatine's fighting style, because that's not how SW works. And it shouldn't be how it works.
starwars.fandom.com

Lightsaber combat

Lightsaber combat occurred when two or more opponents using lightsabers, or at least one of the combatants used a lightsaber while the other used a different bladed weapon, engaged in a duel. Such opponents were often, though not always, Sith and Jedi. Though lightsaber combat decided the...

uh... it is though ? It's been a thing for ages. It was planted as a hint.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
She isn't told that Rey is a Palpatine until TROS not because the director is withholding things from the actor, but because JJ didn't come up with that until TROS. And even then, he was also toying with the idea of making Rey a Kenobi, which Daisy has also mentioned.

Yeah, I think the whole "Anakin / Luke's lightsaber calls out to Rey" thing from The Force Awakes implies that JJ probably did plan to make her connected to someone important (if not Luke, then Kenobi) but hadn't bothered to solidify the plans as of that film. If Daisey was told Rey was nobody at all, it was probably only because her parentage wasn't important as of that particular film, since at that point, it was just a mystery to come back to later on.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The plot of the film wasn't just "Asgard gets blown up." There are character arcs, set pieces, villains, etc. all of which is vastly affected by the tone of the film. In fact, the writer of the film was literally told to not feel restrained by the last two films because they weren't as well received as the studio heads would've liked
Those things of course would change, but like I've been talking this whole time the broader strokes of the film would mostly still be intact. Thor's character arc was set up in the first film, and would be consistent no matter who was in charge. The set pieces, villains, etc could all change, but the bigger plot point of "Ragnarok" and how Thor's arc resolves out of it would remain the same.

I mean it sounds like you're complaining that Star Wars didn't have the minutiae of the trilogy planned out, but the truth is you can't plan out every single detail, it's impossible. And kinda silly to complain about. But Star Wars didn't plan much at all so they should've done more.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
The more that comes out the more this trilogy suffered from poor story telling, poor direction, lack of passion, and lack of vision.

Force Awakens was a good starting point, it had a good hero who literally had no background other than he was a stormtrooper he was a person who was literally nobody, who could have been one the faces of the franchise, A heroine who had a mysterious background who was highly skilled and many arthurian symbols surrounding her, they were a good duo with a good romance hint, along with a villain who they were setting up to be irredeemable.

Then The last jedi happened, finn was sent off to be a sidecharacter on a sidequest where none of the movie themes connect to it definitely not failure because you can't fail if you don't have a choice in the matter. his romance with rey is replace with her getting romantically involved with kylo one of the worst romances in star wars. No conflict with him being a former stormtrooper came into play really outside of a singular scene with phasma. he could have been dropped form the movie and while people would notice his absence in the audience it wouldn't be felt in the movie.

Rey has only 2 things that are good her relationship with look and the nobody revelation( even though this abandons the arthurian symbols) its a good message but one good message a good movie does not make.

Poe storyline is so contrived and is a plot so generic that power ranger had did it back in the early 2000's but also did it better. because it was bad here.

than Tros comes in tries to tie up 3 movie plots in one while also trying to work in lucas's script about the death star 2 macguffins only to completely fall on it's face.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
starwars.fandom.com

Lightsaber combat

Lightsaber combat occurred when two or more opponents using lightsabers, or at least one of the combatants used a lightsaber while the other used a different bladed weapon, engaged in a duel. Such opponents were often, though not always, Sith and Jedi. Though lightsaber combat decided the...

uh... it is though ? It's been a thing for ages. It was planted as a hint.
No it wasn't.
Those things of course would change, but like I've been talking this whole time the broader strokes of the film would mostly still be intact. Thor's character arc was set up in the first film, and would be consistent no matter who was in charge. The set pieces, villains, etc could all change, but the bigger plot point of "Ragnarok" and how Thor's arc resolves out of it would remain the same.

I mean it sounds like you're complaining that Star Wars didn't have the minutiae of the trilogy planned out, but the truth is you can't plan out every single detail, it's impossible. And kinda silly to complain about. But Star Wars didn't plan much at all so they should've done more.
I'm not complaining that SW didn't have the explicit explicit details of the trilogy planned out.

Tell that to Chris Terrio. It's genetic.

2020.10.10-03.25-boundingintocomics-5f81d26101f03.jpg
Lightning is apparently genetic but not an entire combat form. That's like saying that Luke is a pilot specifically because he's Vader's son and that nothing anyone does in SW matters.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
As above - Boba's death is extremely goofy, but he's a lot more than just a cool voice who stands there in 5. He outwitted Han and tracked him to Bespin, which sets up the whole final act. Then he successfully escapes with Han, establishing the status quo for the next movie.

Despite minimal screentime and dialogue, he's pretty successful, achieving all his on screen goals until the breakout and undignified final scene where, yes, again he does go out like a punk.

I think calling that "escaping with Han" is a little over-dramatic, haha. He's already taking off as the heroes run out onto the pad with ineffectual weapons against a ship, after Vader giftwrapped Solo and handed him off.

The one notable thing Boba does in the entire OT, is (apparently) see through the garbage disposal ruse with the Millennium Falcon. Aside from that he's a cool set of armor who stands around at Jabba's palace, then gets dispatched like a noob.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The more that comes out the more this trilogy suffered from poor story telling, poor direction, lack of passion, and lack of vision.

Force Awakens was a good starting point, it had a good hero who literally had no background other than he was a stormtrooper he was a person who was literally nobody, who could have been one the faces of the franchise, A heroine who had a mysterious background who was highly skilled and many arthurian symbols surrounding her, they were a good duo with a good romance hint, along with a villain who they were setting up to be irredeemable.

Then The last jedi happened, finn was sent off to be a sidecharacter on a sidequest where none of the movie themes connect to it definitely not failure because you can't fail if you don't have a choice in the matter. his romance with rey is replace with her getting romantically involved with kylo one of the worst romances in star wars. No conflict with him being a former stormtrooper came into play really outside of a singular scene with phasma. he could have been dropped form the movie and while people would notice his absence in the audience it wouldn't be felt in the movie.

Rey has only 2 things that are good her relationship with look and the nobody revelation( even though this abandons the arthurian symbols) its a good message but one good message a good movie does not make.

Poe storyline is so contrived and is a plot so generic that power ranger had did it back in the early 2000's but also did it better. because it was bad here.

than Tros comes in tries to tie up 3 movie plots in one while also trying to work in lucas's script about the death star 2 macguffins only to completely fall on it's face.
There isn't any romance with Finn and Rey in TFA.

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
People talk about needing a Feige for Star Wars, but Star Wars always did - George Lucas.

You may not have liked it all the time, but it was cohesive in the same way Marvel movies currently are. So Disney copied having a different director for each movie like the OT, but then didn't put a Lucas-type in place to keep it consistent.

If you don't like where The Last Jedi took the story, that's not on Rian - that's on the people in charge of the franchise who supported it. I, capital L, LOVE The Last Jedi, but it's not like you can just do whatever the fuck you want with Star Wars. If the people in charge thought it left the story in a hard place to follow up, their actual job was to step in, and they did not.

If Rise was, as it appears on the surface, written largely in direct response to criticisms of TLJ, it's a catastrophic failure on behalf of the handlers of the franchise that the success of Mando is largely covering up over time.

You'd expect to see that kind of fumbling and awkwardness from the folks trying to rush an Amazing Spider-Man universe and the dark universe, not Star Wars.

If Star Wars was ANY smaller a franchise, it would not have survived Rise of Skywalker.

Nov 8, 2017
I think calling that "escaping with Han" is a little over-dramatic, haha. He's already taking off as the heroes run out onto the pad with ineffectual weapons against a ship, after Vader giftwrapped Solo and handed him off.

The one notable thing Boba does in the entire OT, is (apparently) see through the garbage disposal ruse with the Millennium Falcon. Aside from that he's a cool set of armor who stands around at Jabba's palace, then gets dispatched like a noob.

Him "seeing through a garbage disposal ruse" is what the last act hinges on, so yeah, it's notable that he managed to track them when none of the other bounty hunters or the empire could. He's clearly competent in that film. His goal was to find Han, hand him over to the empire, then return him alive to to Jabba. Which he accomplishes.

He doesn't have to have a badass action scene in order to be a significant character to the story. There's no trace of him being a bumbling idiot until ROTJ. If you just walked out of 5 you'd have a pretty good impression of Boba. This is in stark contrast to Phasma, where she gets thrown into the waste disposal straight up.

Last edited:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rey Nobody was a great move. That and the kids at the end establish that anyone can be strong with the Force, not just those with famous family names. I don't even like TLJ, and yet the final movie managed to take the little things from the TLJ that was progression with the franchise and toss it to the wayside.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
People talk about needing a Feige for Star Wars, but Star Wars always did - George Lucas.

You may not have liked it all the time, but it was cohesive in the same way Marvel movies currently are. So Disney copied having a different director for each movie like the OT, but then didn't put a Lucas-type in place to keep it consistent.

If you don't like where The Last Jedi took the story, that's not on Rian - that's on the people in charge of the franchise who supported it. I, capital L, LOVE The Last Jedi, but it's not like you can just do whatever the fuck you want with Star Wars. If the people in charge thought it left the story in a hard place to follow up, their actual job was to step in, and they did not.

If Rise was, as it appears on the surface, written largely in direct response to criticisms of TLJ, it's a catastrophic failure on behalf of the handlers of the franchise that the success of Mando is largely covering up over time.

You'd expect to see that kind of fumbling and awkwardness from the folks trying to rush an Amazing Spider-Man universe and the dark universe, not Star Wars.

If Star Wars was ANY smaller a franchise, it would not have survived Rise of Skywalker.
i agree it was definitely the management. it was clear this car ride had no driver
Rey Nobody was a great move. That and the kids at the end establish that anyone can be strong with the Force, not just those with famous family names. I don't even like TLJ, and yet the final movie managed to take the little things from the TLJ that was progression with the franchise and toss it to the wayside.
a good message does not make a good movie, in fact a the quality of the movie muddies the good message

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
But it was dark and gritty and was loaded with OT nostalgia and Vader murked a bunch of randos in a hallway so therefor it's the best SW film since Empire.

Ugh, I couldn't stand Rogue One. All of the characters are boring, and they even manage to make Donnie Yen dull.

The script is like fan fiction, right up to and including giving... Darth Vader, who had been in the movie for all of two minutes... a completely out-of-place action scene at the end, minutes after the final sacrifice of the actual protagonists of the movie.

RedLetterMedia had a good point in their review, which was that the final act might've been fun if it was an actual clever heist, instead of just a smash and grab so they could roll out all of the usual stuff the fans recognize.