• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Now I will comfortably buy it on day one. Thrilled to see CDPR set the tone—that way it will look awful if other publishers try to pull double dip tactics.
Great point! CD Projekt Red truly understands the old adage "How much money is enough?".

They are going to be raking in so much money after launch that there's no need for people to have to double dip. I'm glad to see that at least one developer out there gets this and is confident that they will make more than enough money with just one release👍

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
This is cool. I expect a good amount of publishers to release separate SKU's though. Can't ignore that opportunity to get people double-dipping.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly can't wait to see which publishers don't utilize it. There are some pretty safe guesses (T2, EA, Activision) but there are a lot of ones that could go either way like Ubisoft.

Here's hoping we get near universal adoption AND Sony implements a similar program.
I think Ubi will just because Siege. They'll wanna keep it's momentum going and they've already talked a little about their next gen plans for it in particular. I think it's one of those you are all in or not at all type things. Though I don't think they'll next-gen enhance many of their games either.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't wait to see which publishers don't utilize it. There are some pretty safe guesses (T2, EA, Activision) but there are a lot of ones that could go either way like Ubisoft.

Here's hoping we get near universal adoption AND Sony implements a similar program.
They will use it for their service games - or single player games that still have DLC planned.

Everything else depends more on other factors.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
CP2077 is MS marketed game and I bet MS paid them to give details about the mS ecosystem leaving the Sony one out of the picture for now.
Uh, this is them confirming it, what exactly are you trying to spin it as some weird negative for. Presumably most games will do this, but it's up to the publisher of course unless MS/Sony mandate it. PS5 will probably do it for Cyberpunk too, but it's an MS marketed game in response to an MS tweet, much like how you don't hear about Xbox versions of games in PS4 commercials.

What is with this shitty spin some of you are putting on this?

Maybe CDP didn't say anything about similar program for PS5 because Sony has said jack and shit about their platform plans? CDP has no right to go and announce platform features when platform owner hasn't said anything.

I can see Ubi adapting this program with at least select titles like R6S. "Bring all your progress and content over..." type a hook.

Oct 29, 2017
All of these games will run on the PS5 and SeriesX, we already know that is going to be the case.

I don't know that Sony and Xbox can force companies to offer free "patches" that make the game better for the newer consoles, that said, I think most companies will do this at first just because it's a bad look to try and sell a graphics patch.

It's a change from last-gen practice for sure. Xbox One and PS4 are lousy with games like Saints Row IV, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, etc. where a new version of a game is released as a separate purchase and it's EXACTLY the same game, same assets, same UI, same everything except with enhanced performance.

I think we're going to see that kind of enhanced port go away, and re-releases are only going to be a separate, new purchase if they skew more toward a "remake"-- new assets, rebalanced gameplay, modernized interface, etc.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Funny how certain folk are jumping on the fact that CDPR did not mention anything about the PS5.

What do you want them to do about it, when Sony has not revealed the machine yet....?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, The Last of Us was a PS3 game and last gen, even though a PS4 version came out just months into the PS4 lifespan. And it also was called The Last of Us Remastered on PS4 despite no drop in DLC and support for the PS3 version for quite some time after both were on the market.

Cross gen does not simply mean they ended up porting it to next gen anytime after release.

Cyberpunk team has made no indications that development is being worked on yet for supporting
The Last of Us Remastered was released over 13 months after the initial release on PS3. Following the PS4 version, one week later the last piece of DLC content was released (which was for MP). No further DLC was released for either version. I consider this a port.

As I said in my prior post, my interpretation of cross gen is a game that is in active support on two different console generations. Whereas a port/remaster typically has ended/reduced support on the prior gen, with the majority (if not all) support has moved to the new gen version. Ports/remasters typically don't receive much in the way of additional content/updates down the road (because they've often contained all prior DLC/updates).

If, after Cyberpunk 2077 releases the series X update, the game continues to receive updates, DLC, expansions, etc (on both console generations). It's a cross gen game.

If you disagree with this interpretation of "cross gen" and "port" then put forward your own definitions. Because I don't think "period of time between support on each console gen" is an appropriate means for the distinction (especially not anymore).

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What is with this shitty spin some of you are putting on this?

Maybe CDP didn't say anything about similar program for PS5 because Sony has said jack and shit about their platform plans? CDP has no right to go and announce platform features when platform owner hasn't said anything.
How is this shitty spin? the fuck do you think I said? lol, there are so many "WHY DIDNT THEY SAY PS5 TOO" posts in this thread, it's dumb, it'll almost surely happen there too. It's as you said - MS didn't moneyhat them NO)T to say PS5, it's simply not their place to do so to begin with, nor is it the place to do so on an Xbox tweet.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a change from last-gen practice for sure. Xbox One and PS4 are lousy with games like Saints Row IV, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, etc. where a new version of a game is released as a separate purchase and it's EXACTLY the same game, same assets, same UI, same everything except with enhanced performance.

I think we're going to see that kind of enhanced port go away, and re-releases are only going to be a separate, new purchase if they skew more toward a "remake"-- new assets, rebalanced gameplay, modernized interface, etc.
no it isn't at launch last gen, it was possible to upgrade xbox 360 to xbox one and ps3 to ps4 games. I know for sure Ubisoft, Activision both did that.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Funny how certain folk are jumping on the fact that CDPR did not mention anything about the PS5.

What do you want them to do about it, when Sony has not revealed the machine yet....?
Sony has already announced PS5.

They didn't mention PS5 because they have a marketing deal with Microsoft Xbox. It's not coincidence that they tweeted that practically right away after the article went up.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to announce their cross buy plan because I have not intention of buying any upcoming late gen games if they don't have one.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has been tremendous in supporting enhanced backwards compatibility. Glad to see this can go forward to next gen.

I am going to be very disappointed if Sony keeps insisting on selling remasters in the future.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is really getting ahead with amazing messaging at this point. I'm hoping Sony has some good cards up their sleeves.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious tweet by CDPR considering i have bought The Witcher 3 three times lol.Not that it is their fault

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's behavior is weird, they don't act like market leader going for release of new HW.

Feels like they are following MS's lead and being reactive to messaging MS is doing.

It's a safe if meek approach but I don't know if it'll even pay off this time since MS appear to be predicting a lot of things people want.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sony's behavior is weird, they don't act like market leader going for release of new HW.

Feels like they are following MS's lead and being reactive to messaging MS is doing.
Definitely is clear that Sony has to make sure investors don't see them lose the advantage they have in sales ratio when PS5 details announce. They are reacting to Xbox to make their final choices and announcements as safe as possible.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Sony has already announced PS5.

They didn't mention PS5 because they have a marketing deal with Microsoft Xbox. It's not coincidence that they tweeted that practically right away after the article went up.

Big difference between announcing and revealing right...? My statement is more to do with my personal frustration with Sony rather than anything else. :)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is great news and truthfully, I'd have paid for an upgrade patch so Free is nice.

It's also a nice impetus to get the current version now instead of wait for the new consoles.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Definitely is clear that Sony has to make sure investors don't see them lose the advantage they have in sales ratio when PS5 details announce. They are reacting to Xbox to make their final choices and announcements as safe as possible.

This late to next-gen prep cycle there isn't much Sony can tweak, at least not at HW level. Most of it has been locked some time ago in order to get production lined up.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

They have a successful product with at least 2 - The Last of Us II and FFVII - system sellers upcoming.
If you consider Ghost of Tsushima that's 3.
They are not the ones in a hurry to finish this gen.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This late to next-gen prep cycle there isn't much Sony can tweak, at least not at HW level. Most of it has been locked some time ago in order to get production lined up.
There's likely many things from policy to final price they can tweak. They can easily still decide what features to throw into the pipeline will be. It's not crazy to think they'll add "Smart Ownership coming soon" to their list of things to focus on if they weren't ready yet considering they have yet to announce this being their policy like MS has for their options and own games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, this is them confirming it, what exactly are you trying to spin it as some weird negative for. Presumably most games will do this, but it's up to the publisher of course unless MS/Sony mandate it. PS5 will probably do it for Cyberpunk too, but it's an MS marketed game in response to an MS tweet, much like how you don't hear about Xbox versions of games in PS4 commercials.

I am not trying to spin it into anything. Based on what we know so far all XB1 and PS4 games are compatible with next gen consoles. I would hope that there is no need to rebuy the digital version for X1/PS4 game to enjoy all the bells and whistles on XSX or PS5. They are the same game.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am not trying to spin it into anything. Based on what we know so far all XB1 and PS4 games are compatible with next gen consoles. I would hope that there is no need to rebuy the digital version for X1/PS4 game to enjoy all the bells and whistles on XSX or PS5. They are the same game.
This isn't required by Microsoft. It will be very easy for a dev like Square to make a new SKU of The Avengers for next gen as a "Game of the Year Enhanced Edition" with DLC and new higher fidelity graphical features. But if they're kind they'll use Smart Delivery since not using it will be trashy.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Has Sony announced this feature yet? Maybe Sony just has regular BC but not smart delivery. In order to have upgraded graphics you might need to buy the game twice.
I feel like they've set an expectation with Pro and X patches though. With the PS5 being backwards compatible, and patches being normal to upgrade games across consoles now (albeit mid-gen console upgrades) they'd be foolish to try and resell the same games across generations. And more to the point, and the main reason I'm confused, is I would expect this to be a publisher decision more than a console manufacturer decision. I can't ever see Sony refusing to allow upgrade patches. I can see publishers like Rockstar and Bethesda preferring to sell "brand new" raytraced versions of GTAV and Skyrim though. So I feel like it's great news to see Microsoft forbidding the resale of the same game across generations, but odd that CDPR is specifically mentioning Xbox as a brand advantage in this case. Simply because I can't ever see Sony setting a rule that says "no patches, ever", and it's odd to imagine a scenario where CDPR only offers this to one group of gamers (as that would suggest they hate the idea of upgrade patches but Microsoft is forcing them to do this for Xbox).

EDIT: Just noticed that Smart Delivery is optional for third party devs. So yep, doubly weird PR, but guaranteed this is happening for PlayStation too.