• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
BnIcbli.jpg

Yeah, no. This game is garbage. Nice swat at ACAB there CDPR... Booted it up today after taking a break for a few days, and I just can't with this conservative subtext driven into this game.
Pretty sure he's being ironic there—saying all rocker boys are dickheads just like all cops are bastards.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
BnIcbli.jpg

Yeah, no. This game is garbage. Nice swat at ACAB there CDPR... Booted it up today after taking a break for a few days, and I just can't with this conservative subtext driven into this game.
WTF this is crazy. I didn't get this dialogue. I'd have thrown my controller away. What a toxic fucking company. Is this company run by the eastern european version of chavs?
I think it has the potential to be an amazing game, once they fix some obvious problems. I think the actual story is great and gameplay loop is solid in a lot of ways. Definitely enjoying it more than TW3.
I enjoy the game quite a lot and is definitely one of my favorites. But shit like the above image makes me do a double take!

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
BnIcbli.jpg

I remember this live and I remember they were pretty sarcastic when they said it. Not something V truly believes.

Not to say their aren't issues with how the game tackles the institutional issues of this world, but this is so a joke V said to poke at Johnny

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
BnIcbli.jpg

Uh. What's the context of this? is this an option or something V says automatically?
I'm only in the beginning of the game, and so far I don't get any conservative subtext... Johnny is an anti-capitalist terrorist and I can play my V as anti-capitalist and anti-cop quite easily so far. Hope that doesn't change! :(

Apologies if this has been posted but excellent thread.

This thread has been my experience from the 10 hours I've played.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

Apologies if this has been posted but excellent thread.

1. They do not aggro on you for just walking by. I've only had them do that when crossing police tape, or intervening in arrests.
  2. They mostly shoot and kill gang members.
  3. The cops are literally highlighted as yes, having corrupt individuals, but it plays into the "few bad apples" mentality bullshit that right wing media spins it into.
  4. The above is a straight DIG at ACAB, and most cops you meet in the game are friendly assuming you don't break "laws"
The game is not anti-cop. It's anti "bad" cop. Which defeats the entire purpose of why ACAB and the protests against police brutality have happened.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Uh. What's the context of this? is this an option or something V says automatically?
I'm only in the beginning of the game, and so far I don't get any conservative subtext... Johnny is an anti-capitalist terrorist and I can play my V as anti-capitalist and anti-cop quite easily so far. Hope that doesn't change! :(

Johnny makes a dig at V for helping a cop in a side quest. You have the option to tell Johnny "It's none of your biz, Johnny" and "River? He's alright." and this was what V said to Johnny for the second pick. It is sarcastic to poke at Johnny, but it's also him defending the concept that not all cops are bastards... How that's not telling blows my mind.

Johnny replies to V telling him that River is alright with something like "For a cop." and that's when V retorts with the anti-ACAB bs.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Aside from the bugs and crashes (performance/framerate is decent on PS4 Pro I've found) my biggest complaint with the game is almost complete absence of meaningful tutorials. Yes, I did all of the tutorials before the first mission to get the Flathead, those barely scratch the surface.

There are so many controls, features, systems in this game that aren't explained at all. I've had to pause and Google so much basic stuff (and the game is so new that a lot of stuff doesn't have answers on Google yet) and 7 hours in I'm still having to do that frequently.

I'm liking the world, the atmosphere. I'm liking the story more than I thought I would.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
It's wired. I have a 3090 and play on a 1440p screen with everything maxed out. Also the psycho rtx stuff activated.

But my game never looks as good as some screenshots other users post or as good as stuff that yt-outlets post. :(

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
  1. They do not aggro on you for just walking by. I've only had them do that when crossing police tape, or intervening in arrests.
  3. The cops are literally highlighted as yes, having corrupt individuals, but it plays into the "few bad apples" mentality bullshit that right wing media spins it into.
  4. The above is a straight DIG at ACAB, and most cops you meet in the game are friendly assuming you don't break "laws"
The game is not anti-cop. It's anti "bad" cop. Which defeats the entire purpose of why ACAB and the protests against police brutality have happened.
Many characters say repeatedly that all cops in NC are just extensions of the corps power. The game made it clear to me that the entire system is corrupt, and the few good cops you meet in the game are painted as exceptions to the rule.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
It's wired. I have a 3090 and play on a 1440p screen with everything maxed out. Also the psycho rtx stuff activated.

But my game never looks as good as some screenshots other users post or as good as stuff that yt-outlets post. :(
DLSS adds this like Vaseline smear to the whole game. Use Nvidia's built in sharpening tool to add some detail back in (Alt+f3)

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I've just submitted by 4th refund request since Friday morning on UK PSN, the only way to contact them for this is via e-mail. They seem to just be flat out ignoring requests. Has anyone else tried and had a response from a human?

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
DLSS adds this like Vaseline smear to the whole game. Use Nvidia's built in sharpening tool to add some detail back in (Alt+f3)
I don't think it's dlss. The lightning looks a bit off sometimes. Can't really explain it. Will switch off / play around with the rtx settingsand see if it makes a difference.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I've yet to encounter a single character in the game who likes the cops, or a cop that is "good". In fact, one of the first quests I did where I interacted with cops was a bunch of corrupt cops ordering a hit on a "good" cop.
When I told her, this "good" cop decided to skip town and that this shit ain't worth it rather than do anything helpful. Didn't even appear to contemplate keeping her investigation.
So far, the game reads as clearly anti capitalist and anti-cop to me. Maybe this is something that changes in the future or depends on the way you play.

Johnny makes a dig at V for helping a cop in a side quest. You have the option to tell Johnny "It's none of your biz, Johnny" and "River? He's alright." and this was what V said to Johnny for the second pick. It is sarcastic to poke at Johnny, but it's also him defending the concept that not all cops are bastards... How that's not telling blows my mind.
Yeah, it's not the best... This is why I hate how far apart the text and the actual responses are. I'd never choose a response like that for my V since in my head she hates all cops.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017

www.theguardian.com

Cyberpunk 2077 review – could it ever live up to the hype?

Blade Runner meets Grand Theft Auto in this sprawling hellscape of a role-playing game, which is extraordinarily immersive but let down by misogyny and xenophobia

In this way, Cyberpunk 2077 resembles a vast, futuristic Las Vegas. You come here and have a hell of a week, but then you wake up one morning feeling jaded and complicit, and you realise that the glitzy signs lead nowhere, the noise is meaningless, and when you look beyond the strip, there is only desert.

3/5

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Many characters say repeatedly that all cops in NC are just extensions of the corps power. The game made it clear to me that the entire system is corrupt, and the few good cops you meet in the game are painted as exceptions to the rule.
Yes this is my experience too. I got a sidequest with Regina where I had to menace the "last good cop" so she would leave the city and not get killed by the inherently broken system. It's made clear there's no place for "honest" cop in this city and that they are all part of a broken system, further amplifying it.

Honestly the reactions regarding the picture in this thread is a bit of a reach. That's just one sentence from one character that can say stupid and wrong shit, it doesn't represent the tone of the whole game at all.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

The issue is that cops are painted in a sympathetic light, not a demonized one. It fails to actually analyze why police are bad, and why anyone (even the good ones) hold up the corrupt ones. That's why ACAB exists... It exists because the "good ones" uphold the system just as much as the "bad ones" thus ACAB. People can try to spin it as having the good ones being exceptions but it doesn't change that it romanticizes the ideals of a cop, and leverages the bad ones as being the problem, not the police system itself. Sure it frames them as capitalist bodyguards, but it fails to examine them as such, and you have constant mentions including in the lore section of the journal that highlight that they mean well, and as I just posted a direct dig at ACAB.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I've yet to encounter a single character in the game who likes the cops, or a cop that is "good". In fact, one of the first quests I did where I interacted with cops was a bunch of corrupt cops ordering a hit on a "good" cop.
When I told her, this "good" cop decided to skip town and that this shit ain't worth it rather than do anything helpful. Didn't even appear to contemplate keeping her investigation.
So far, the game reads as clearly anti capitalist and anti-cop to me. Maybe this is something that changes in the future or depends on the way you play.
I'm ~30 hours in and that's fairly consistent with how the game has played out for me.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The game needs to make hacking more satisfying. There's not much visual and audio feedback when you pull of a hack.. it's kinda lame tbh. But it shouldn't be! Cos I just fucking fried the chrome in this dude and he's like down to a sliver of health! It should feel badass. It desperately needs some animation feedback from the dude, sparks flying off, a loud bzzzzt sound, vibration in the controller... that type of shit.

I honestly can't wait for max my body and reflex build just cos the gun play right now just FEELS way better than being a netrunner, even though on paper netrunner gets way more done with way less fuss.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Just had the worst experience with my game so far. Doing the River sidequest and so much junk was just not popping up on the UI or not appearing as interactable when things clearly were. The braindance section was plain awful as well as I had to get the perfect angle to scan points of interest. Not to mention that little jingle.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK

Yeah, it's not the best... This is why I hate how far apart the text and the actual responses are. I'd never choose a response like that for my V since in my head she hates all cops.

In the best case scenario, these are just snuck in dogwhistles from specific devs/writers, and a majority of the writers believe in anti-capitalism, and anti-cop - because like you said there are moments where they do play to the tune that cops are bad... but there's a lot of conflicting moments around that subject too. I don't know. Makes me think that the there were some major conflicting political beliefs at play over at CDPR (in the best case scenario) or they're just pandering and throwing in dogwhistles because they don't believe the message that this universe is in support of.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
The issue is that cops are painted in a sympathetic light, not a demonized one. It fails to actually analyze why police are bad, and why anyone (even the good ones) hold up the corrupt ones. That's why ACAB exists... It exists because the "good ones" uphold the system just as much as the "bad ones" thus ACAB. People can try to spin it as having the good ones being exceptions but it doesn't change that it romanticizes the ideals of a cop, and leverages the bad ones as being the problem, not the police system itself. Sure it frames them as capitalist bodyguards, but it fails to examine them as such, and you have constant mentions including in the lore section of the journal that highlight that they mean well, and as I just posted a direct dig at ACAB.
Maybe we've just experienced different dialogue choices, but the only people romanticizing cops that I've seen in night city are other cops. No regular person likes them, or even tolerates them. Everyone dislikes then, but they're powerless to do anything to stop them.

I will absolutely admit though that line is bad, and the game has a terrible habit of having V say shit that is widely different then what the preview text implies.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I've yet to encounter a single character in the game who likes the cops, or a cop that is "good".

There's the neighbor quest with a cop (well, ex-cop) that's having a mental breakdown. Because he saw horrible things he couldn't do anything about because the police is corrupt and because he had nobody to talk about it, in life or the police. So the dude is fine, but it's not really a good point for the law enforcement.

So, yeah, i haven't seen anything in the game endorsing the police in any shape or form. Yet at least.

And for the quest giving the dialog highlighted above, i didn't get this. I fucked up in the first dialog option and... Well... Led flew.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of weird filter. Did anyone else notice that weird sharpening filter on the npc faces and especially your own mirror reflection? Is there a way to disable it? That sharpening filter looks like the one they used in Witcher 2.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
6.5 - 7.5 is exactly what the game deserves, at least the PC version does. Its insane to think people actually gave it 10s.
I went up to 8 and my original inclination was 7.5. Mostly visuals I do think they did a hell of a job on that front and there's some spoilery stuff I wont mention that charmed me. But there's such a huge variance in quality, marketing expectations vs what the game actually is, that if someone gave the game a 4 I wouldn't argue that either.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Just reached Act 2. With all of this game's fault, I'm really enjoying it so far - More than I enjoyed Witcher 3 I think. I'm a little surprised TBH, came in expecting the worst.

I hope you still enjoy fighting Human_85934 and RANDOM_MECH_300 by the end of the game. I think the world itself looks amazing, but the encounter designs are ridiculously lacking, way more than in TW3, and it's not like that game had a surplus of different enemies, but it had enough. Just reaching Act 2 is super early, and the game still feels like it's somewhat fresh and full of potential, but it actually already played its full hand.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns around police violence.
BnIcbli.jpg

Can we please stop assuming malice behind every statement in the game? This is silly.

From my Northern European point of view, there is nothing alarming in that statement. I get that from US perspective it is different today, but the police are viewed differently in most European countries. I really don't think someone is trying make a political point in this instance.

For more context, this is what Mike Pondsmith wrote about racists and cops earlier this year: https://rtalsoriangames.com/2020/06/12/mike-pondsmith-cops-and-racists/

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Can we please stop assuming malice behind every statement in the game? This is silly.

From my Northern European point of view, there is not alarming in that statement. I get that from US perspective it is different today, but the police are viewed differently in most European countries. I really don't think someone is trying make a political point in this instance.

For more context, this is what Mike Pondsmith wrote about racists and cops earlier this year: https://rtalsoriangames.com/2020/06/12/mike-pondsmith-cops-and-racists/

It's a dogwhistle...

The typical statement is ACAB (All Cops Are Bastards) he is literally saying "Not all cops are bastards"

astro

Oct 25, 2017

From my Northern European point of view, there is nothing alarming in that statement. I get that from US perspective it is different today, but the police are viewed differently in most European countries. I really don't think someone is trying make a political point in this instance.

The fact they literally referenced the term ACAB says otherwise.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
There's the neighbor quest with a cop (well, ex-cop) that's having a mental breakdown. Because he saw horrible things he couldn't do anything about because the police is corrupt and because he had nobody to talk about it, in life or the police. So the dude is fine, but it's not really a good point for the law enforcement.

So, yeah, i haven't seen anything in the game endorsing the police in any shape or form. Yet at least.

And for the quest giving the dialog highlighted above, i didn't get this. I fucked up in the first dialog option and... Well... Led flew.
Erm, did you go back to check on the cop having the mental breakdown?
It seems that he committed suicide in my game anyway.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

All means all.

Kyberpunk

Oct 28, 2017

There are a couple of ways that quest can play out

If you go to visit his friend's grave in North Oak before speaking to the cops again, they end up being more understanding and the quest ends with them being gentle and supportive of him instead of aggressive and demeaning. AFAIK he's still alive in my game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017

If you actually go through the other choices of texts, the game opens another path for that quest

If you explore the blue text over the gunning for the yellow text, the ex-cop talks about Andrew (his friend who passed away) a bit more and the game gives you the option to go visit his grave/memorial on the other side of town. There you find out Andrew was actually his pet Tortoise.

Big macho cop realises just how far down the hole the ex-cop must be and drops the act of telling him toughen up. Actually goes in understanding and has a proper chat.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

It was a clear possible outcome but it seem to have been defused on my game by talking of the turtle to the other cops.

Haven't been back in the area in a while tho. I'm spending a lot of time in the badlands recently. Totally not related to a Nomad lady.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
In the best case scenario, these are just snuck in dogwhistles from specific devs/writers, and a majority of the writers believe in anti-capitalism, and anti-cop - because like you said there are moments where they do play to the tune that cops are bad... but there's a lot of conflicting moments around that subject too. I don't know. Makes me think that the there were some major conflicting political beliefs at play over at CDPR (in the best case scenario) or they're just pandering and throwing in dogwhistles because they don't believe the message that this universe is in support of.
I'm sure there were conflicting beliefs, but I also think the game never set out to say anything meaningful (which is my biggest criticism of the game so far.) It's not anti capitalist or anti cop because of some deep conviction, I think - It's these things because these are the ideological backbone of cyberpunk as a genre. Cyberpunk 2077 sets out to recreate the "classic" cyberpunk, the type of things I imagined when I was 13 and playing Shadowrun with friends. It's a genre that is basically immersed in 80's anti-establishment rhetoric, so of course cops and corps are bad.
So I think it's easy to imagine you'd get inconsistencies in the overall tone of the game writing when the game doesn't set out to say anything in particular, but says those things as a stylistic by-product.

Last edited: